Swervers. Texting while driving laws. - Page 8 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 08-30-2019, 11:10 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 18,783 Times in 6,175 Posts

Advertise Here

Here's a former Marine trucker trying out a virtual reality simulator in real time

There's a real truck on a course linked to that million dollar machine btw.
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 11:46 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,321 Times in 981 Posts

The Driving While Texting thing should be a "Primary Offense" that allows for penalties as quickly as possible if cops find it. I couldn't care less about any privacy or other arguments against. Right to travel? Fine. But as has been said, the driving license deal is not a right; some baggage comes with it. And that's fine.

After decades in volunteer EMS three things have become obvious; the drunk driving thing has gotten much better over the years, even though there's still morons out there. Cards have gotten safer with all the airbags and other tech in them. And texting has come along and moved backwards against the progress regarding drunk driving. Studies have shown that texting can be even more dangerous than drunk driving. Obviously, this is a kind of broad statement and situational. Maybe a short text is less dangerous than a sloppy drunk. The matter of degree isn't the point. The point is distracted driving from text/web use is comparable to drunk driving.

I've seen the results up close of enough accidents where the offender has hurt others besides themselves to believe and feel clearly about this. Maybe it won't work, but I'm fine with these laws for distracting driving being more harsh.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScottPreps For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 11:49 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 18,783 Times in 6,175 Posts

This 2020 Cascadia while not self driving does have many computerized features that compared to what I was used to does almost drive itself

Old truck here.

That truck still has plenty of use but lemme tell ya I get nearly triple the fuel economy and it's very very easy to drive.

At first I hated it. But that was only until I truly learned the capability this truck offers and learned how to really use it. It's less work meaning the driver has more time to focus on the road, hazards, etc rather than worrying what gear you need or how quickly you can descend a grade.

Adaptive cruise allows you to set your desired cruising speed. Forward radar tracks vehicles in front out to a quarter mile and the truck will slow down and maintain whatever following distance you set it too automatically. Meaning it will keep my seven second buffer to the vehicle in front of me.

If it's stationary that truck will stop you from hitting it. I've tested it on a course and that truck would not allow me to hit a stationary object even if I wanted too.

A car that cuts you off and you can't stop in time you will hit. A truck can only slow down so quick. But if that radar detects a stationary object or even just a slow moving object, it will stop you in time.

Jake braking for grades is also a parameter you can set. If you want to travel 65 and not go over just set the Jake to that speed and the truck will automatically both downshift and apply the correct level of engine braking to maintain that speed. Or you can set to cruise on level ground at one speed, and set your grade speed at whatever you determine is a safe speed.

It's super easy. And it's super efficient. It tracks your route and knows when you need to up the power to climb a grade and also knows how to maximize the down grades to harness momentum which saves mega fuel. That big Pete would get 5 maybe 6 mpg if I took it real easy. Most times it would be 4 or 5.

That Cascadia when used properly will get upwards of 11 mpg at top end speed. If you take it easy on take offs and drive it under the governed speed you can get much better. I tested it when I had extra time and if I cruised along at 58 as opposed to 70 I'd get 14 mpg.

It also has a heads up dispay which had the kind of information I don't know how I ever got by without.

It shows me the distance the nearest object in my lane of travel is. It gives me the speed of this object. And it calculates its current speed and tells me how many seconds it will take me to reach the nearest object to my front.

Rollover technology. Trough sensors that detect weight the truck will cut power and in extreme cases will brake automatically if a serious shift in weight is detected. So for example, should a driver come off the interstate come in too hot for a curve that truck will slow you down and will prevent a roll over.

I also get warnings when I get a sensor malfunction which takes all these systems offline. Usually it's road grime or ice build up.

There's more than that but that's enough to let folks now that self driving technology is already here and it does work. Personally I think the safest thing is too keep the driver to oversee the machine and not remove entirely.

There will be a steady progression. More systems are being added to trucks every year that make the operation easier, more efficient, and safer.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:02 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 56,141 Times in 19,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyaayas View Post
There isn't much more rail can do. Unless you expect little mom and pop businesses with two docks to put in rail yards bro. That's the bulk of my bread and butter.
http://www.grocerssupply.com/web/infrastr.nsf

In my city all the small grocers pick up their wares at Grocers Supply. Rail line runs right into their yard. Trailers come right off the train.

Admittedly they get OTR trucks too, especially produce from Mexico.

But the point is that there is more than just makers and retail sellers. There is a vast intermediary storage and distribution network.

There is infrastructure in place to serve small volume consumer operations.

Intermodal brings it into rail terminals and gets locally trucked to big outfit regional stocking warehouses or independent distribution companies geared to supplying small market operations.

If it goes on a pallet or IBC it is easily possible to skip the OTR aspect if it is normal stock.

I fully agree this isn't happening instantly. Distribution networks are very complicated things. But it is already progressing.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.

Last edited by IamZeke; 08-31-2019 at 02:16 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 12:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 32,594 Times in 6,971 Posts

^^^ Some interesting & nifty trucking info, iyaayas... Thx!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clocker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 01:47 AM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,561 Times in 3,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPreps View Post
The Driving While Texting thing should be a "Primary Offense" that allows for penalties as quickly as possible if cops find it. I couldn't care less about any privacy or other arguments against. Right to travel? Fine. But as has been said, the driving license deal is not a right; some baggage comes with it. And that's fine.

After decades in volunteer EMS three things have become obvious; the drunk driving thing has gotten much better over the years, even though there's still morons out there. Cards have gotten safer with all the airbags and other tech in them. And texting has come along and moved backwards against the progress regarding drunk driving. Studies have shown that texting can be even more dangerous than drunk driving. Obviously, this is a kind of broad statement and situational. Maybe a short text is less dangerous than a sloppy drunk. The matter of degree isn't the point. The point is distracted driving from text/web use is comparable to drunk driving.

I've seen the results up close of enough accidents where the offender has hurt others besides themselves to believe and feel clearly about this. Maybe it won't work, but I'm fine with these laws for distracting driving being more harsh.
Well said. I agree about texting while driving. If I happen to glance over at you and I see your eyes off the road for more than 1 second I'm moving away from you lol

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 11:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,222 Times in 3,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade of Events View Post
Laws haven't helped. Citizens and LEO's are often distracted drivers on their phones or technology devices on a regular basis here. Most people are already disastrous drivers anyways, but when you add in the cell phone factor in it gets infinitely worse. I'm for severe punishment when it comes to driving distracted while using this device.

First citation: $250 fine
Second citation: $500 fine, 30-day revokement of license
Third citation: $1000 fine, 60-day revokement of license
Fourth citation: $2000 fine, permanent revokement of license, 30-days jail time.

Beyond that, send their ass to prison. I'm not kidding either.

Drivers who are distracted while using a cell phone or other technological device are dangers to themselves, those who ride with them, and everyone else on the road. I've seen too many violators and accidents caused by this to tolerate it. Might as well be driving drunk given the lack of reaction time. Get 'em off the ****in' roads.
This! You have to make the penalties very severe. I'd do the same with driving while intoxicated.

Personally, I'd skip out the first citation you have. It only takes one time to kill someone.

Driving a vehicle is a very serious thing. You have the potential to cause a lot of damage and harm to others, whether pedestrians, in other vehicles or in your own. You need to be paying full attention to what you are doing. If you can't, or won't, then you don't have the right to drive.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 02:24 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,561 Times in 3,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealfinder500 View Post
This! You have to make the penalties very severe. I'd do the same with driving while intoxicated.

Personally, I'd skip out the first citation you have. It only takes one time to kill someone.

Driving a vehicle is a very serious thing. You have the potential to cause a lot of damage and harm to others, whether pedestrians, in other vehicles or in your own. You need to be paying full attention to what you are doing. If you can't, or won't, then you don't have the right to drive.
Well said.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 05:52 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 56,141 Times in 19,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealfinder500 View Post
I'm OK with that. The goal being to put the fear in them right off the bat, not think they can do it until they get finally caught and plead first offense mercy. Do we offer freebies for other first time violent offenses? Do we coddle first time attempted rape or attempted murder suspects? We'd better not be.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 06:25 PM
Paleoconservative

Thanked 1,988 Times in 670 Posts

Completely agree with those in the thread stressing the need to accept the responsibility and consequences of your own judgement and decisions while driving. Zeke, in particular, who ought to have been named Job for the patience and clarity he exhibited earlier in the thread repeatedly having to explain things that fall under the category of common sense, subcategory of crap you should already know, like since you were 14, at least.

The monetary fines, even if made pretty stiff, I suspect won't effectively enforce compliance and reduce the distracted driving. I say eliminate the fines entirely and put in a mandatory arrest and 3 day jail sentence. Once mom or dad, or little Bobby or Suzie find out they'll get to put on the flip flops for group showers, get their mug taken at booking, and a 3 day vacation from home, the problem, I reckon, will largely go away. The message will have been sent, heard, and understood.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fonz For This Useful Post: