Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bow fishing vs traditional fishing... tropicheat Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 9 10-07-2014 08:19 PM
Make a fishing pole in the wilderness? VTHokie407 DIY - Do It Yourself 16 11-22-2013 05:20 PM
DIY Fishing Trap to Replace Fishing YoYo Arsenul Boating and Fishing 4 03-17-2013 07:46 PM
Tips For FL Freshwater Bass Fishing In Private Lake? SelfSustainingFamily Boating and Fishing 3 05-11-2011 09:39 PM
Wilderness Fishing Trap PAbackwoodsman Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 12 10-04-2010 05:07 PM
Wilderness Survival: Building and using a wilderness... kev Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 9 05-25-2009 12:10 AM
Freshwater clams anyone ? harhey Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 15 11-09-2008 01:18 PM
fishing pack for day hike fishing campingenthusiast Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 3 06-05-2008 04:21 PM

Old 08-13-2009, 05:34 PM
The Fisherman

Default Freshwater Fishing in the Wilderness

Advertise Here

If there is one thing that exists in most wilderness environments, it is lakes, rivers, streams, and any body of water that holds fish. The quest to get fish dosen't take much, but does take some effort, and some equipment. This guide will teach you which fish to you can catch to eat, the equipment needed, and how to fish. This concentrates on Freshwater Lake fishing in the wilderness, when in need of food.

Table of Contents

I. Edible Fish
II. Equipment
III. Fishing
IV. FAQs
V. Links and Closing

I. Edible Fish
Mostly all freshwater fish are edible. Most of them are high in protein, and low in fat, but some contain high amounts of mercury, which can be dangerous to your health. The following lists are from a website stated below. The ocean fish have been removed for easier viewing.

Quote:
Fish LOW in Mercury
Women of childbearing age, pregnant women, nursing mothers, and children under age 15 - eat up to 2 meals per week
All other people - eat up to 4 meals per week

Fish HIGH in Mercury
Women of childbearing age, pregnant women, nursing mothers, and children under age 15 - do not eat
All other people - eat only 1 meal per week.

AVOID fish that are HIGH in mercury:
Blackfish (bowfin)
Catfish (caught wild)
Jack fish (chain pickerel)
Largemouth bass (statewide)
Warmouth

EAT fish that are LOW in mercury:
Bluegill Sunfish
Tilapia
Trout

Source: N.C. Division of Public Health. For more information, call 919.707.5900 or see http://www.epi.state.nc.us/epi/fish/current.html.
II. Equipment
Fishing equipment might not be the first thing on your BOB list, but I would suggest putting some form of fishing kit together. I have a BOB, and a separate fishing backpack, seen here..

This is not only my sporting fishing bag, it contains a case of bug out fishing supplies. It has:
-Berkley Trilene Big Game Line
-Long pliers
-Multiple Rubber Worm Packs
-Red Bass Pro Shops XPS Magna Superlock Hooks
-Bass Pro Shops XPS 210-Piece Split Shot Sinker Kit
- Bass Pro Shops 150-Piece Swivel Assortment
-Bass Pro Shops Angler's Fillet Kit

I highly recommend buying the large packs of Swivels and Sinkers, because these items are easily lost while fishing.

If caught off guard and you do not have any equipment with you, simply any type of string tied to a stick with a piece of metal, somewhat sharp and very strong on the end of it, with worms, will get you somewhere. But, with the above equipment above, you have a good chance at catching dinner if it is needed.

The rod I use is very easy to carry around. It breaks down and can be tied to my backpack. It is a spinning rod, made by Bass Pro Shops. Seen here. Any rod will do, as long as it is portable. Choosing a rod is easy, and there is a link below for choosing one.

III. Fishing
Fishing takes lots and lots of patience. You don't always catch anything, and well truly, it sucks. But, when you hook a monster that feeds you in the wilderness, it is possibly the greatest thing ever. Now, first off, if you are with a group, you DON'T all need to fish. You might not catch anything, and you do not want to chance dinner at that. So, send some off collecting edible plants and other food, while others fish.

The time to fish is early in the morning, a couple hours before dawn, and a couple hours after dawn. The other time is a couple hours before dusk, and a couple hours after dusk. I usually say 5:30am-8:30am and 5:30pm-9:30pm.

The places you can catch fish on a lake is endless. Almost all of the time, shady areas full of weeds are great places. Large bass sit in areas like this. At night, way down toward the bottom, large catfish swim. Fishing along the coasts of lakes are often good as well. Large obstructions, such as downed trees also attract fish.

When trying to catch the fish, often rubber worms work the best. I catch everything from Largemouth Bass, to Catfish off of the Wacky Worm set up. This requires a worm, hook, and swivel. It is easy to set up and often gets many bites.

All you have to do, is bend a worm in half and put the hook through it. You then tie a swivel onto your line, unclip the swivel, and put the hook on it, and your all set.

The method for using the Wacky Worm is simple.
1- Cast your line out.
2- Slowly reel it in, while giving small tugs to the line.

IV. FAQs
Q. How much fishing experience do you have?
A. At the age of 15, I have 9 years of experience. From my first trout when I was six, to the giant bass and catfish I pull out of the lake near me almost everyday of the summer. I have done quite a few fly fishing trips as well. Ocean fishing is not my preference, but I do it from time to time.

V. Closing and Links
Choosing a Rod
Bass Pro Shops Fishing Gear
I hope you enjoyed my guide and it was useful. Any comments or questions, please post them here, but the best way to contact me is email. I plan multiple guides in the near future including the following:
-Fly Fishing
-Lake Fishing Techniques
-Ocean Coast Fishing
-Advanced Fishing Equipment
-Prepping and Cooking Fish

More pictures and information will be added to this guide, once they are found, or questions arise to what is in this guide.

Thank you for reading,
Owen Kerrigan
Age 15
[email protected]

Last edited by okerrigan; 08-13-2009 at 05:55 PM..
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to okerrigan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Maximus

Thanked 15,414 Times in 6,591 Posts

One thing about using rubber worms. If you want to use them repeatedly and extend the life of the rubberworm, dont put the hook through the worm. Instead, get a small rubberband or O-ring. Slide the small rubber-band or O-ring into the middle of the worm. Then slide the hook between the O-ring and worm. The hook never pierces the worm but is still held securely by the O-ring/Rubberband. You can use the worm over and over and over and over again.

Last edited by vicdotcom; 08-13-2009 at 06:10 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2009, 05:42 PM
The Fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
One thing about using rubber worms. If you want to use them repeatedly and extend the life of the rubberworm, dont put the hook through the worm. Instead, get a small rubberband or O-ring. Slide the small rubber-band or O-ring into the middle of the worm. Then slide the hook between the O-ring and worm. The hook never pierces the worm but is still held securely by the O-ring/Rubberband. You can use the worm over and over and over and over again.
I do use those, and they work great. I was going to use that when I make another guide on Advanced Lake Techniques. They extend the life of rubber worms a long, long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 11:40 PM

I would recommend braided line over the mono, since the braided line can double as something else if needed. Also purchase smaller size hooks since small hooks catch big fish and small fish. They are more versatile and panfish are a lot easier to catch for food then a crafty 5lb largie.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:05 AM
2cd mouse gets the cheese

Spider Wire is the best braided line out there double it's break #s easy. Use small hooks, you catch more fish and don't let your shadow fall on the water. Fish right before daylight is best and the half hour before sunset and after. Get a couple of yo yo fishing reels to put out at night. The most efective ways are legal, so be careful the love making a buck!
Yo Yo http://www.cabelas.com/p-0003097110774a.shtml
http://www.quicksetfishing.com/
speed hooks, i carry a dozen http://www.speedhook.com/servlet/StoreFront
Speed hooks I think are illegal in most all states, but oh so effective and equaly so on birds too!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rat Eater For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Really?

Thanked 10,509 Times in 5,063 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

I have a Pocket Fisherman in my pack....it has a rod and a tackle belt. AFA the mercury thing, if I'm hungry, I eat what I catch, but I'm a fillet nut.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:26 AM
GO Dawgs

Thanked 1,409 Times in 684 Posts

The most productive fishing I have ever done, was using a fish basket when I was a kid. Very little time and effort for the large amount of fish caught
Old 08-21-2009, 03:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,069 Times in 4,249 Posts

Good write up. Of course legality doesn’t come into play during a real crisis, but you do need to find a place to practice. A compact gill net is very effective. I’ve used both the yo-yo reels and the Speedhooks…they both work, but I prefer the speed hooks. In my kit, I also made a trot line (25 spaced leaders/hooks)…a great passive collection tool! Survival is about maximizing efficiency and the passive methods are perfect; the more you have the better your odds. I also added a frog gig in my kit…using a simple wood screw and a sapling, you can use it effectively for reptiles, frogs and even fish in some situations. I have mini-fishing kits all the way up to my backpacking kit where the primary plan is focused on fishing. I’ve mostly done fly-fishing but my best pack pole is actually an Emrod pole…compact and breaks down small. Adding a little wire, mini-zip ties and safety pins, you can make your own pole. I read where a guy just packs a small container with lures, hooks and weights along with a compact reel. He cuts a branch, trims it and used zip-ties to attach the reel along with a couple of eyes for the line…there are a lot of techniques, you just have to find what works in your area and practice!

ROCK6
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2009, 06:52 AM

Sounds like you haven't seen this recent info:

Mercury-tainted fish found widely in U.S. streams

More than a quarter of those fish contained concentrations of mercury exceeding levels set by the Environmental Protection Agency for the protection of people who eat average amounts of fish, the U.S. Geological Survey report said.

More than two-thirds exceeded the EPA-set level of concern for fish-eating mammals.

The neurotoxin enters the environment chiefly as an air pollutant spewed into the atmosphere by industrial emissions, then falls back to the surface in precipitation and particulate matter carried over long distances.

The main source of atmospheric mercury, according to the EPA, is coal-fired power plants.

Some of the highest levels of mercury in the latest study were found in the coastal "blackwater" streams of North and South Carolina, Georgia, Florida and Louisiana -- relatively undeveloped areas marked by abundant pine forests and wooded wetlands.

As with many pollutants, mercury concentrates as it moves up the food chain, from algae, to insects to small fish and larger predators. The main source of mercury poisoning in humans is from eating fish and shellfish.

She suggested that people concerned about mercury contamination in stream-caught fish should eat more of the smaller pan species, such as perch, bluegill or crappie.

The EPA said this year that it intends to issue new rules under the Clean Air Act to control air emissions of mercury from coal-fired power plants.

http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...57J01720090820