Best Location in House for 10# fire extinguisher? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kidde Fire Extinguisher recall - Wonder what other recalls I am missing! Justme11 General Discussion 8 06-03-2015 09:27 PM
Will a Fire Extinguisher explode in a car if too hot? ~120*+ ? Reason General Discussion 14 01-28-2014 12:01 PM
Electric Shock from Fire Extinguisher Robot General Discussion 1 07-08-2013 11:13 PM
New! Fire Escape Ladder, Car Extinguisher, Tactical Splint! redflare For Sale 4 05-14-2013 08:01 PM
Fire Extinguisher Against Looters? HeavyTakeMusic Urban Survival 20 08-19-2012 08:59 AM
Fire extinguisher at Lidl - from the 9th of Feb Rosesandtea British Isles and ROI 4 08-19-2012 12:20 AM
Have The Fire Extinguisher At Hand - Especially In Montana East Coast Woods General Discussion 2 05-03-2012 12:37 AM
Fire Escape Ladder and extinguisher kukuri Urban Survival 15 12-16-2010 11:03 AM
Fire extinguisher almost kills police BOBtheBUTCHER General Discussion 0 11-12-2010 12:34 PM
1 Kg Powder Fire Extinguisher (Cat A,B,C) 12.99 Free P+P on eBay Jever British Isles and ROI 13 03-21-2010 03:05 PM

Old 01-20-2014, 11:06 AM
Bushidoka

Thanked 5,786 Times in 1,950 Posts
Default Best Location in House for 10# fire extinguisher?

Advertise Here

I bought a 10 lb ABC fire extinguisher at Costco, not really realizing how big it is. It's 16" high, 7" wide, and with bracket, sticks out almost 5" from the wall. So it needs to be handy, but not in a high-traffic area. The extinguisher seems to slip off the bracket very easily when grasped.

The question is where to put it in a 3 level house (and yes we have smoke and CO detectors in the stairwells on each floor). The obvious place is in or close to the kitchen.

The kitchen is toward the rear of the house. Although the kitchen area is part of a large family room, the kitchen itself is fairly tight and confined in a corner, behind a bar and sink, with narrow entrances from each side of the island.

I'm a little concerned that putting the fire extinguisher too close to the stove could actually make it harder to get to for someone not already in the kitchen or depending on the exact location of the fire.

Other nearby locations are 1) top of a basement stairwell, 2) by the back door, or 3) just around a doorway in another room (this last is actually the closest to the kitchen by distance, most accessible from other areas of the house, but least obvious to a stranger).

There must be some principles for locating firefighting equipment. Hope to hear from some of you with urban fire experience.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ambos lados For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 11:13 AM
Inglorious Deplorable

Thanked 33,694 Times in 13,351 Posts

Near the bed rooms at night? I guess you just get out and call it a loss.

In the Kitchen? As you suggested.

In the Garage? A larger would might be handy if you caught your car of fire while welding on it.

In the back yard by the fire pit? A water hose may be better.

Time to repeal the 17th.
The Following User Says Thank You to 9111315 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 11:28 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,178 Posts

I would try to put it next to the door that leads into kitchen if it isn't close to the stove. But definitely in or close to the kitchen. Statistically this is where a fire is going to start.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gearheadon44s For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 11:32 AM
Gone Galt

Thanked 66,583 Times in 17,049 Posts

Somewhat close to the fire-risk area, but not too close. If the fire gets too close to it, you will have a hard time getting to it and grabbing it.

...closer to the floor then you think, smoke rises and clearer air will be closer to floor.

1 tank - 2nd floor
2 tanks - 1st and 3rd floors
3 tanks - Each floor *Ideal

(The least distance at any given point in the house)

Just my thoughts.

(I have a handful scattered 'round the house as well)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grevlin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 11:37 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 15,831 Times in 8,399 Posts

Dry chem. Use it to create an exit. Use a fire blanket when your chips go up.

I know you don't want your house to burn down. But you don't want to be firing that thing inside your house either.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:43 AM
Yo soy es tu papa!!

Thanked 6,004 Times in 2,036 Posts

Start a fire outside somewhere and see how much is actually in the can. The fire extinguisher that you are describing isn't gonna put out a decent size kitchen fire. So I would say leave it somewhere in the kitchen. If you can't get to the extinguisher, it too late anyways and you need to FO quickly.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:56 AM
Prepared

Something you might want to do is call your local fire department and see if they give a fire safety class, some departments do and you just might learn something useful.
If used correctly, a 10# extinguisher can put out a fairly large fire, you just have to know what to do.
If they don't offer a class, the fire marshal's office might send somebody around to do a walk around and help you decide where to place detectors (some even give out free ones), extinguishers and stickers that tell firefighters if there are disabled people, elderly, children etc. in the house.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to merlin1358 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 11:56 AM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 29,283 Times in 8,664 Posts

Here's a firefighting principle: Have more than one.

Why not just get an extra fire extinguisher or two? Put one in the kitchen, one wherever you feel you want one.

There actually is an official survival guide, but you have to write it yourself - and edit it as the situation changes - and revise it as you learn from your mistakes - and start all over again when things change again. (AceScanner)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 12:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,366 Times in 2,371 Posts

Please take the time to research area/material specific extinguishers.

A "Kitchen" extinguisher will be non toxic and easier to clean up.

ABC is not for use in oil fires such as most kitchen fires. ABC can turn into toxic fumes/chemicals in certain fires. ABC dry chemical is inappropriate for certain metal fires (Class-D) as well as cooking oil fires (Class-K).

I keep a large bag of baking soda in the pantry and if you have an oil fire in a pan use a lid with a large pot holder to cover and snuff the fire out. I also have a box of baking soda on hand using the grill for grill oil fires. Easy clean up.

EDIT: I also have a Kitchen extinguisher at hand.

Last edited by Heartlander; 01-20-2014 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: add
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heartlander For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 12:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,234 Times in 5,742 Posts

No one likes it, but high visibility is best , especially if you have emergency personal enter the house for your sake.
Eye level reminds you every time you see it ,I check the charge when ever I walk by .
Like any manufactured device, they can fail.
You can't test it ,but seeing the charge is reassuring . I even give them a shake once in e while , to loosen the powder.
I have them all around the place .
Having worked on boats the worst p,ace fire extinguisher fail are they, especially those mounted vertically . the powder packs down and the tool doesn't work.
I mount them laying down on any equipment that moves.
To date none have failed yet.
Just cause I'm weird, I have a hose in my bath room I can rig to fight fire ,not every one's plumbing is conducive to that unless you do it deliberately.
T and faucet and hose and nozzle are cheap.
I hope to set up one set per water supplied room. in my case 2 bath one laundry and one kitchen
What 's the cost of doing nothing ?
I have water tanks that are part of the plumbing on a check valve so it can't be drained from the street. I can pressurize the system with air and maintain a level of fire control .
What is the cost of waiting for the fire department ?
Post SHTF ?
Ideally preps should be in a relatively fire proof containment.
An alternative would be to have a sprinkler system, with a devoted tank of it's own pre charged . Water won't hurt food in plastic buckets or sealed containers.
My hose system will have to do until then.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Dumpster Diver

Thanked 4,201 Times in 1,570 Posts

mine is just inside the front door , in the corner on the side of the door where the knob is,, If I am outdoors and come in I can grab it,,
If I am inside, my first reaction will be to go outside,, grabbing the extinguisher on the way , I will have it in hand if I decide the fire is controllable and I decide to reenter,,

I also have a small non toxic one close by the kitchen stove
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McGuyversurvivor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,906 Times in 733 Posts

I would have one on each floor in plain sight. A fire blanket in the kitchen as well. It might be an eyesore but if you value your family and all the junk in the house.....

I have 3 fire extinguishers, I'm going to grab more at Costco when they're on sale to have one in each room. I also have a fire blanket in the kitchen and one upstairs. There is also a fire escape ladder on the second floor. It was only $30.

If you're a techie, look at how overloaded each outlet is in your house with all of those electronics A lot of these Chinese adapters are very poorly constructed with cheap materials. I never buy cheap adapters and plugs for fear of fire.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nucky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 12:56 PM

I have spend a large part of my life in the fire service and have written several articles on fire extinguishers, here are the links to one of them. I think it will help answer your questions. http://preparednessadvice.com/earthq.../#.Ut1iDBDTlD8[/URL][/URL][/URL] I tried to put up a couple of links but it wouldn't work, when you go to the site do a search under fire extinguishers and you will find more information.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pitcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 03:08 PM

Ideally one on each floor. K class extinguishers do work better on grease fires, but a lot of kitchen fires start from electrical appliances, hence the multi use a-b-c extinguisher.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:12 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 80,486 Times in 32,268 Posts

O/P --Ever notice where they are in big buildings --- 99 % of the time there near or at an exit or interior door --- next to a stove is not a good place -- better across from one -- in the bedroom by the door -- at the entrance to the garage - at the top of the stairs to the basement ---- as for sticking out from the wall -- if you can -- remove one side of the dry wall and recess it a bit -- or get fancy -- Home Depot sells --

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-10-...8047/202222056

A bit pricy - but you could make your own -- and anywhere near an elect. panel --- CO-2 or dry power please --

And remember those 5 -10 lb. ones kept in the car --- tap it on the ground every few weeks -- nothing like needing to use one -- and having “ffffuuuuusssssssssssss” ( spelling ? ) come out - because all the power got pounded down like a brick over the years ------

And you never can have to many --

Last edited by Ricekila; 01-20-2014 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: Duh --
Old 01-20-2014, 05:17 PM
What would Mal do

Thanked 7,688 Times in 2,582 Posts

can't speak to having a really large one...but I do believe in having plenty of smaller ones to allow me to do some level of battle

I keep 2 bedside upstairs, 2 in the kitchen, one in each vehical and the camper
Old 01-20-2014, 05:33 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,178 Posts

Make sure you guys check and rotate as needed fire extinguisher life spans are not that long. The small ones do not have guages.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:42 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighanded View Post
can't speak to having a really large one...
Neither can I

Maybe going through a good house fire as a kid -- might make me a wee-bit sensitive -- and a work shop fire ( not mine ) and a few helicopter fires

And small ones in the Jeeps --
Old 01-20-2014, 07:50 PM
Prepared

Install a sprinkler system...
Old 01-20-2014, 08:00 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke14 View Post
Install a sprinkler system...
We could do a nice Haylon system in your bedroom for-ya

Last edited by Ricekila; 01-21-2014 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Sons of your -- not you're