Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Essential Bushcraft and Survival Skills - List Yours!! Conscious Ape Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 33 07-09-2013 02:56 PM
Learning post-SHTF skills...real skills JonoUNC89 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 46 02-26-2013 10:38 AM
Your level of outdoors experience & bushcraft skills purecaffeine Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 49 11-16-2011 03:37 AM
Bushcraft Skills Peter Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 33 12-13-2010 12:03 PM
Midwest School of Bushcraft Advance Bushcraft Course skab0311 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 16 11-17-2010 04:44 PM
Midwest School of Bushcraft free Skills day skab0311 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 1 08-31-2010 11:48 AM
Where to practice bushcraft skills mplsatty Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 14 07-16-2010 12:02 AM
Next on the list of forbidden airport items: Martial Arts skills Declan General Discussion 2 01-04-2010 01:26 PM
Minnesota winter skills workshop-Ojibwe indian skills peter martin Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 5 11-03-2009 09:37 PM
What are your favourite Bushcraft items. AncientBrit British Isles and ROI 92 10-10-2009 12:31 PM

Old 10-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,380 Times in 1,047 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Nomad View Post
I almost never use a flashlight. I keep a small one in the first aid kit, that is all I ever bring with me.
Why would you not use a flashlight? With modern batteries and flashlights you can get flashlights (2 AAs) that will run 30 days straight on moonlight mode with the capability of going over 200 lum on max
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 12:16 AM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 12,161 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan6864 View Post
Why would you not use a flashlight? With modern batteries and flashlights you can get flashlights (2 AAs) that will run 30 days straight on moonlight mode with the capability of going over 200 lum on max
I never need them. I have really good night vision I guess. In fact, artificial light blinds me and messes up my ability to see at night. It also annoys the hell out of me.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:29 AM
Blame Canada.

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
Candles do not work well in the rain.
Candles do not work well in the wind.
Candles do not work well at a distance.
Candles do not work well while moving.
Candles can be problematic in dry grass lands.

I have candles they have their uses. You still need a good flashlight of three. Modern LED flashlight make good like and don't eat batteries like the antique Incandescent one do.
Don't get me wrong, I love my flashlight, and I believe I said I would not want to be with out it, if I didn't, then I am saying it now, but there are ways to keep it lit in the rain, and while moving, but that may bump the weight into the realm of a small flash light. But projecting its light, and the fire hazard are good points. And when its gone, its gone. At least you can buy more battery's for the flash light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 01:31 AM
Blame Canada.

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,353 Posts

Quote:
Can you recommend a brand ? My poor old flash light is ready to retire. End of thread bootleg.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:41 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
The Candle Vs LED thread is here

Can we focus on other equipment that we don't need to bulk up on?

What about kitchen and stove items, pots, pans, cleaners, eating utensils, and flatware.

What about first aid kits, does anyone have any ideas how to minimalize these items?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCoyote View Post
Okay I have been testing sassafras to combat mosquitoes and flies with great success. I started at the beginning of summer by collecting several large sassafras roots from healthy saplings. They grow so abundantly around me that a few yearlings will not be missed, but make sure they have a healthy size leaf to be sure the roots are mature enough.

Then once you harvested the roots dry them in a low temperature oven or dryer. Then shave the roots with a knife creating a pile of shavings and prepare approximately a quart of water. Place the water on the burner but do not bring to a rolling boil and steep the root shavings for 60 minutes. What we are trying to achieve is a strong sassafras tea. After the hour remove the shavings and continue to steep (not boil) the sassafras tea until it becomes very concentrated. I usually end up with about a quarter cup or so. Drink a table spoon of that extract each day for at least 3 days before going into the woods, the more the better.

This has proven to be extremely effective, as I have been on outings where my friends were getting swarmed with mosquitoes while I was enjoying the comforts of being in the woods without so much as hearing them buzz.

There is something in the extract that secretes with your sweat and I'm guessing mixes with your pheromones that repel the mosquitoes. This has proven to be so effective I had one of my Canadian friends try this with the same results. I am continuing to test this, as the other day I found where you can buy the sassafras extract in stores.

This is a concentrated blend so you only need to mix a tablespoon or two with a glass of ice water to enjoy. A couple of glasses of this each day will surely put those mosquitoes at bay on your next hunting or camping trip.

Try it for yourself and let me know. I just got my bottle of this stuff and will be testing when I finish my last batch of homemade extract.

I will certainly give it a try. If I am out with a group, I always seem to be the person getting bit, and believe me, I am willing to try anything.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcow View Post
Can you recommend a brand ? My poor old flash light is ready to retire. End of thread bootleg.

http://www.foursevens.com/product_in...oducts_id=2927

Here is the one I was talking about, note on the emitters some are XM-L those are more for flood, XP-G are more of a spot but throw light farther.

I love their flashlights you get options as far as what battery and how many. For what you get these lights are a great price
Old 10-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCoyote View Post
The Candle Vs LED thread is here

Can we focus on other equipment that we don't need to bulk up on?

What about kitchen and stove items, pots, pans, cleaners, eating utensils, and flatware.

What about first aid kits, does anyone have any ideas how to minimalize these items?
Good to know but I was responding to a statement that another member posted.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:09 PM

Use a leaf instead of toilet paper, instant weight savings, and a bushcraft!
Old 10-17-2012, 12:43 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpitt1237 View Post
Use a leaf instead of toilet paper, instant weight savings, and a bushcraft!
Choose your leaf wisely
Old 10-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Historian & Archaeologist

Thanked 1,726 Times in 710 Posts

If you're in an area with bamboo or thick reeds, you can make a spoon (or the ultimate spork!) In a few minutes with a half decent pocket knife.

I always do this and give it to people for a keepsake LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to Litsgt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2012, 02:46 AM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,232 Times in 4,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Nomad View Post
The truth of the matter, is that we can. We just can't have lighter packs with primitive stuff.

Think about it, a primitive made ceramic bowl is NOT going to be lighter than a Titanium cook set...even though the use may be almost the same.
No, but my knapping kit, bone tools, spear, and bowdrill are at least as light as their modern counterparts and just as serviceable.

Learn how to make a primitive fire. You'll never have to worry about keeping warm again.

Learn how to make primitive tools/shelter.

One of the MOST important skills is learning to make good cordage. That paracord is going to run out someday!

Learn how to make glue from charcoal, sawdust or plant fiber, and pine pitch. UnbeLEIVable how useful this is. Pine pitch is one of the most, if not THE most useful primitive tool you can take advantage of!

Learn to work raw bamboo if it grows near you, otherwise, learn to work with green wood. Good examples:

I have actually been working on a few projects since moving to Texas.

I'm making a bamboo coffee table, it will be finished tomorrow.

I made my own "survival knife" (mostly out of bamboo). It will be finished tomorrow also.

I made a bamboo blow gun and darts. Works real well.

Made, and in the process of making some bamboo and some reed arrows with bone points.

I made a really cool fishing spear/frog gig out of bamboo. Need to go out and test it.

I made some bamboo snake hooks.

I'm building a small, bamboo "gazebo". That's going to take a while. I'll post some pics if I can find my camera.

BTW, Texas has a thriving bamboo population. I've been taking advantage of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post: