Basic knots with pics - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Useful Knots? interscope8 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 46 12-20-2015 12:18 AM
Knots. Vacas Locas Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 15 06-15-2013 06:18 PM
I know not about knots. Kaoshavoc General Discussion 13 11-16-2012 01:03 PM
Let's see your Hunting Basic 4 or dream basic 4 sailinghudson25 Firearms General Discussion 20 03-09-2012 11:48 AM
Knots PunisherWeaponSystem Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 6 09-25-2010 06:13 PM
Knots!! WSierra DIY - Do It Yourself 24 08-26-2010 03:25 AM
Necessary Knots? gwopy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 21 05-04-2010 12:24 PM
Tie Some Knots ! Carne Frio Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 13 01-25-2010 12:46 AM
Knots Thedragon Australia and New Zealand 2 05-19-2008 07:07 AM

Old 08-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Live Action

Post Basic knots with pics

Advertise Here

Hey everybody,

I was thinking about how so few of people these days (including myself) know how to tie a few important knots besides the one on their shoes. I found a thread in the forums that discussed important knots but left out the pictures. Seeing as this is my first time posting pictures, with all luck they will show up. This is not my article and I take no credit for it. Please feel free to add other knots you believe are important as well as how to do them.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________

Camping Knots for Wilderness Survival

By Filip Tkaczyk

Knowing how to tie good camping knots is an invaluable skill in wilderness survival situations. Its also a great asset when having fun in the outdoors. There are a wealth of different knots out there that you can learn to tie. With so many different knots, you might find it hard to choose which to learn first. Here are 3 of the most useful knots for camping and wilderness survival.

Square Knot

Also called a reef knot, this knot is useful for tying bandages, packages and joining shorter pieces of rope together. It is excellent for joining sections of survival cordage.

To begin, lay the ends of the ropes parallel and then pick up a rope in each hand.

Now tie an overhand knot as you would for tying your shoe laces by putting the right end under and over the left rope end.

Then tie another overhand knot, this time putting the left end under and over the right rope.

Completed Square Knot

__________________________________________________ ________

Clove Hitch

Like all hitches, this camping knot ties a rope to an object. The word “clove” comes from the word “cleave” which means to hold fast. This knot is used to start and finish all types of lashings, including lashings for survival shelters.

To begin, bring the rope end over and under the post. Next, take the rope around a second time, crossing it over the first wrap to form an X on the post.

Now, bring the rope end around a third time, and tuck it under the center of the X.

Tighten by pulling the end and the main line apart.

__________________________________________________ ________

Bowline

One of the most important camping knots to learn is the bowline knot. Because it does not slip, it is a great knot for all sorts of uses including securing tarps, lifesaving operations, and mountain climbing.

To start the bowline, first make a small loop on the rope.

Take the rope end through the loop, around the main line of the rope and back down into the loop.

Try to remember “the rabbit comes out of the hole, goes around the tree and then back down into the hole.”

To tighten, pull the main line of the rope away from the loop.

Knots are often an essential skill for wilderness survival situations. They are also excellent tools to help you have a fun and safe time in the outdoors. Practice these knots, and you will soon find many more uses for them!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to edt1991 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2012, 10:17 AM
The 5 Will Survive

Thanked 6,438 Times in 1,868 Posts

Very nice presentation
Old 08-03-2012, 10:27 AM
RIP Dad

Thanked 3,881 Times in 1,441 Posts

Great job. Wish I could remember some climbing knots.
The Following User Says Thank You to bacash For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Survivor, so far

Thanked 263,152 Times in 31,662 Posts

Great post and well done, EDT1991 !

I go here for my knot tying edumacation:

http://www.animatedknots.com/index.p...matedknots.com

Here is another one:

http://www.proknot.com/html/rope_knots.html