I am spent. Ten months on preps. - Page 6 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much have you spent? Mpompilio Military Weapons Forum 55 07-29-2016 08:36 AM
How much have you spent? BScout Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 23 07-26-2016 12:48 PM
Food Preps after Stored Survival Preps are Gone Sadie_Parker Food and water 11 04-24-2015 10:33 PM
Is time spent on SB better spent doing something else? bt25803 General Discussion 15 02-20-2013 07:20 AM
How much have you spent? rachelanne820 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 25 02-29-2012 07:32 PM
This months survival food preps kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 08-01-2011 01:50 PM
POLL--How much have you spent on preps and survivalism? goose3 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 07-24-2011 05:04 AM
From zero to basic preps in six months Hudson Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 05-29-2010 12:01 PM
% of income spent on preps catfishsooner Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 03-02-2009 05:43 AM

Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,684 Times in 673 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTShawn View Post
The tomato powder has found a place in my house forever, SHTF or not. The stuff is awesome!!!
This thread is pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I highlight the above comment because I couldn't agree more. I go through a ton of tomato sauces be it Italian, chili, or even BBQ. It can't be beat for shelf life and storage space and it tastes every bit as good (and in most cases better) than canned or bottled.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChrisInGa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,254 Times in 453 Posts

This is the most helpful, informative thread I've read in a while. Thanks to MTShawn for sharing his experience with us. I have to say that you must have an awesome family! Congrats to your son. I have one in college for engineering as well.
This has made me really take stock of my food preps and see where I need to make modifications. This just proves there's no such thing as "too much". Gonna go shopping today!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TXmom For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 12:43 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 15,859 Times in 4,423 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casebrius View Post
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Do you have any idea where tomato powder and peanut powder could be purchased in 5 gallon pails?
You can get the 6 gallon super pail of tomato powder from
http://www.waltonfeed.com/category/17

I would recommend buying in #10 cans instead. The buckets have 1134 generous servings. Its going to take a while to go through it.

Or buy it in bulk and store it yourself in smaller mylar bags.

I have never seen peanut butter powder in buckets, just #10 cans.

Shawn
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MTShawn For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 12:48 PM
Forum Administrator

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

@Chatelaine,

The family will be staying here for now. My schedule will be 2 weeks gone one week home. We are already looking at property further in the country. Nice thing is, I am no longer tied down to civilization like I was before.

Shawn
Old 05-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,762 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casebrius View Post
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Do you have any idea where tomato powder and peanut powder could be purchased in 5 gallon pails?
You don't want either in 5 gallon buckets. It's a food that you don't go through quickly because it's so concentrated and it's bad at absorbing moisture from the air and clumping and going stale. Even #10 cans of it are pretty large. Especially the tomato powder. A little goes a long way.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 01:54 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmom View Post
This is the most helpful, informative thread I've read in a while. Thanks to MTShawn for sharing his experience with us. I have to say that you must have an awesome family! Congrats to your son. I have one in college for engineering as well.
This has made me really take stock of my food preps and see where I need to make modifications. This just proves there's no such thing as "too much". Gonna go shopping today!
I hope the "90 day" preppers read this thread and come to the same conclusion about there being no such thing as too much! They aren't seeing the big picture.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 02:44 PM
I ain't doing that!!

Thanked 12,442 Times in 4,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTShawn View Post
@Chatelaine,

The family will be staying here for now. My schedule will be 2 weeks gone one week home. We are already looking at property further in the country. Nice thing is, I am no longer tied down to civilization like I was before.

Shawn
THANK YOU!

THIS is my very long term goal ... I'll spend the rest of my life trying to accomplish it ...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 04:22 PM
Trapper

Were you able to supplement you meals by hunting if so was it quickly consume?
The Following User Says Thank You to goliath4407 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 09:53 PM
Fuel Miner

Just out of curiosity, Are you going to work in the oil sector? I've worked in the oil field for 17 years and its been good to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Casebrius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 10:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,661 Times in 3,314 Posts

thanx for the insight
The Following User Says Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 10:55 PM

Good to see the "what you should do" is actually doable. Helps re-affirm those lessons and examples by others. Also, congrats on getting back into the work force.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cutplug For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 11:09 PM
Still here...

Thanked 1,474 Times in 650 Posts

Thank you SO MUCH for your update!! I see a lot of wholes in my own preps now. : It's better to know now rather than later.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Summer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 01:39 AM
Deo iuvante

Thanked 13,590 Times in 3,772 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I hope the "90 day" preppers read this thread and come to the same conclusion about there being no such thing as too much! They aren't seeing the big picture.
Ditto this. I first started really stocking up food when it looked like I was going to lose my job. News sources were saying that it was taking an average of two years for people to find new jobs. Looking at our finances, it appeared that we could weather that length of time and keep our home, but only if we could cut our food spending during that time to almost nothing. So we stocked up a good amount of food and the garden went quite well that year and we canned a good deal, too. I did lose my job, but luckily was employed the very next day. It's not just natural disasters and earth-shaking events which need to be prepared for, but personal difficulties, too.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bazooka Joe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2012, 08:17 AM

I may have missed it, but where did the buckets that you opened come from. I saw you mention the tomato powder, but not the others.

Thanks for the great post !
The Following User Says Thank You to TucsonPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Old Hounds Smell Good

Thanked 2,349 Times in 743 Posts

I sure wish MTShawn would give us an update and I wish I could find the recipe thread! Too many cooking threads....

Anyway...for those asking about the 5 gal buckets of stuff.

Emergency Essentials sells peanut butter powder and tomato powder in both #10 and #2.5 cans. Both of them last so long that I wasn't using the #10 fast enough and it was getting moisture and oxidation just from opening an closing. So, I went with the 2.5 cans for the pantry and I'm not going back. I can store a dozen of those in the same footprint and they stay fresher. I really wouldn't encourage either of those in 5 gal buckets because they have so many servings in them.

Like everyone else, I adore the tomato powder for everything and the peanut butter powder is to die for. Useful for everything from Satay sauce, savory peanut sauces, cookies, sandwiches, smoothies....the list is endless.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ChristyACB For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyACB View Post
I sure wish MTShawn would give us an update and I wish I could find the recipe thread! Too many cooking threads....

Anyway...for those asking about the 5 gal buckets of stuff.

Emergency Essentials sells peanut butter powder and tomato powder in both #10 and #2.5 cans. Both of them last so long that I wasn't using the #10 fast enough and it was getting moisture and oxidation just from opening an closing. So, I went with the 2.5 cans for the pantry and I'm not going back. I can store a dozen of those in the same footprint and they stay fresher. I really wouldn't encourage either of those in 5 gal buckets because they have so many servings in them.

Like everyone else, I adore the tomato powder for everything and the peanut butter powder is to die for. Useful for everything from Satay sauce, savory peanut sauces, cookies, sandwiches, smoothies....the list is endless.
The #2.5 cans are a smart choice. I bought mine in #10 cans and had the same problem. The peanut butter would be fine in a #10 can if it was being used to feed a family, but for a single person it goes too slow to use it up in time. And the tomato just seems to last forever no matter how much you use it, so a #2.5 can of it is probably a better choice for most people.

Alternatively, a person could open a #10 can and repackage into smaller jars, perhaps vacuum sealed to add shelf life.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Forum Administrator

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

I will work on an update today. I have been talking about it.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:42 PM

MTShawn, I find it amazing that you not only prepped as well as you did, but that you took the time to share your experiences and results. As someone who has newly taken an interest in the prepping scene, this is exactly the kind of thing I needed to help get my wife on board. I think that she had this vision of living off of bread and water for 2 years when the SHTF. I for one appreciate everything that you have shared. It provides a wonderful road-map for a real world situation. My thanks to you good sir.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dougwills For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2012, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the many post MTshawn, and i love the picture. Its true how a picture can often say more than a 1000 words, just looking at the jummie bread or the soup.

A question if you can.
If you could make a % of how must of differend thing you normally eat each day ?
Like 30% bread 10%fruit 40%pasta/rice etc ??
I just wonder if there is something you get alot more of than other stuff each day, and if you could changes it, what you would want to changes. I gues fruit is one o)
The Following User Says Thank You to Asolar For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2012, 09:47 PM

I do not post here very much, but this has to be the most open, honest and well written account of relying on your preps that I have ever read. Well done!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to llknp For This Useful Post: