Hydrated lime has a shelf life. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lidocaine efficacy past exp date, non epi saln Health, Fitness and First Aid 46 11-29-2018 11:31 AM
When did mountain house pouches go to 30 years? kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 42 04-23-2018 12:58 PM
Strong, cost-effective, binary adhesive with long shelf life for small projects kotterr DIY - Do It Yourself 14 10-24-2016 05:39 PM
Canning veg soup in hot water bath for 2 week shelf life? slackercruster Food and water 22 10-05-2016 08:38 PM

Old 11-20-2018, 06:12 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,142 Posts
Default Hydrated lime has a shelf life.

Advertise Here

I just found out today that hydrated lime has a shelf life. Hydrated lime can be used for many prepping purposes, some of them are:Nixtamalization of corn, making bagles, making soap, tanning hides, plaster, whitewash, getting rid of order, raising the ph of soil and probably other uses.

I had a bag in the basement for a few years and lately when I used it to make corn I noticed it took longer and longer cooking times for it to work. My last batch didn't work at all.

After quite a bit of looking online I was finally able to find out that when exposed to water and air it will slowly absorb co2 from the air and become simply lime rather than hydrated lime. My point is if you store hydrated lime you should keep it in an airtight container or risk it not working.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2018, 11:34 PM
Trapper

Thanked 2,078 Times in 573 Posts

thanks! I had no idea. I have a 50 lb bag in storage that we bought last year.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:50 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjorie View Post
thanks! I had no idea. I have a 50 lb bag in storage that we bought last year.
Neither did I. From what little I was able to find online about it it may still kind of work for other uses. I suppose a person could heat up old lime to make it into quick lime again then slake it to turn it back into hydrated lime. Although right now it is so cheap, why bother.

I am not really sure what the lime does to the corn other than remove the hull. I know it frees up certain vitimans so it can be use by humans but I don't know if the expired lime can do it or if it has to still be fresh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2018, 05:28 PM

I am not really sure what the lime does to the corn other than remove the hull.

What it does is soften the outer shell of the corn so you or anything eating can get to the center of the kernel and you body can better make use of all the kernel . It also bleaches the kernel so it is white, think homey corn you can buy in the store.
The Following User Says Thank You to shdwlkr For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2018, 10:47 AM
Hiker

Worked at a lime kiln when going to school for 2 years, used to have fun with the quick lime. Mix with water in a bottle and quickly get rid of it and boom.