This months survival food preps - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I am spent. Ten months on preps. MTShawn Food and water 360 11-25-2018 04:13 PM
Food Preps after Stored Survival Preps are Gone Sadie_Parker Food and water 11 04-24-2015 10:33 PM
5 easy survival food preps kev Food and water 116 04-30-2014 05:57 PM
Alternative Food Preps = Dog Food and Garden Herbs usmountains Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 05-23-2012 01:13 AM
Man survives 2 months in his car without food indoorsman Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 30 02-23-2012 10:16 PM
3 months food supply? whiskyrebellion Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 46 08-19-2010 04:55 PM
1 Months food for 3 People Rett Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 11 07-23-2010 06:18 AM
From zero to basic preps in six months Hudson Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 05-29-2010 12:01 PM
3 months of canned food? Jeffrey Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 30 03-09-2009 02:34 AM

Old 07-31-2011, 09:53 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,303 Times in 7,852 Posts
Default This months survival food preps

Advertise Here

This is the majority of this months food preps. I will probably buy some more food stuff, but this is the majority of it.

1 - MOUNTAIN HOUSE Freeze Dried Chili Macaroni #10 can
1 - MOUNTAIN HOUSE Freeze Dried Spaghetti w/ Meat Sauce #10 can
1- MOUNTAIN HOUSE Freeze Dried Hearty Beef Stew #10 can
2 - Diced Broccoli - 19 oz can

20 mylar bags

3 - 1/2 gallon bags of whole oats
6 - 1/2 gallon of quick oats
1 - 1/2 gallon of pinto beans
1 - 1 gallon bags pinto beans
3 - 1 gallon bags of rice (20 pound bag)
3 - 1 gallon mylar bags great value Elbows - macaroni product
3 - 1 gallon bags of mashed potatoes

My current goal:

Focus on #10 cans for freeze dried meat products, and some side dishes such as freeze dried veggies and powdered eggs.

Mylar bags for side dishes, such as beans, rice, potato flakes, and pasta.

Something I am not sure of, which one stores best - whole corn stored in mylar bags, or ground corn? I thought about buying a 50 pound of dried deer corn, and storing it in 1 gallon mylar bags. Then using a grinder to grind the whole corn into corn meal.

With the corn meal I can make tortillas, add powered eggs, cheese, and you have breakfast burritos. For fry the corn tortilla and make chips, taco shells, or tostada shells.

Another question - what is the best wheat to store to grind to make flour? My wife says that flour tortillas are better then corn tortillas for burritos.

Last edited by kev; 08-10-2011 at 09:59 AM..
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2011, 10:05 PM
Reformed Christian

my wife and I store and grind hard red wheat... Very happy with it
Old 07-31-2011, 10:09 PM

I would start with 50% hard red wheat and 50% hard white wheat. The soft white wheat is really only good for cookies and pastries. As your diet gets used to the wheat, you'll find yourself able to grind 100% hard red wheat with satisfaction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011, 10:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,378 Times in 884 Posts

I like the idea of having grains like wheat and oats, but Ive never seen a place up here in the northeast where they sell them. I have my food grade buckets and some mylar bags, but no grains to store in them!
I watched one video here and found the prices of grinders for these items to be very expensive too. If I am able to find grain, is there an inexpensive way to grind it up?
Old 07-31-2011, 10:47 PM
Trapper

Patriot,

The hubby and I found a nice Corona hand-crank flour mill at an antique store for about $25. It's from the 70's, I think, and does an admirable job on whole wheat berries. Today at ebay there's one just like it for $19.99.
The Following User Says Thank You to jane333 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,763 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot101 View Post
I like the idea of having grains like wheat and oats, but Ive never seen a place up here in the northeast where they sell them. I have my food grade buckets and some mylar bags, but no grains to store in them!
I watched one video here and found the prices of grinders for these items to be very expensive too. If I am able to find grain, is there an inexpensive way to grind it up?
There are a lot of options in budget priced mills. You don't have to spend a fortune on them. Spend a little time with the search feature and you'll turn up a bunch of posts from people reviewing lower priced mills.

I bought a Country Living, which was quite pricey. It's a good mill, but if I had it to do over again, I would probably have gone with two lower priced mills. That would allow two people to share the work, given me a backup, and probably still ended up saving me some money.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Target Shooter

I need all this, thanks for sharing you always have educational/interesting posts!
Old 08-01-2011, 01:50 PM
My kingdom for a doughnut

Disregard.. i dbl-posted in the wrong thread.