Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Altoid Repair Kit--Items plus Expanded Item List goose3 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 06-08-2014 01:21 PM
Wilderness Living Songs freedomlovingman Jokes, Humor & Music 2 09-08-2013 11:11 AM
B.O.B. item's list Unknownsld Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 108 04-03-2013 04:58 AM
Living in civilization or living alone in the wilderness? caliguy2010 Polls and Surveys 31 03-06-2013 11:18 PM
A thought about wilderness living BlightedJosh Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 45 01-21-2013 10:04 PM
Last minute item list? mightyoak Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 07-28-2010 12:46 PM
Wilderness living Kybalion Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 4 08-28-2009 09:43 AM
Hunter-Gatherer BOB detail item list MarkJones Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 30 12-22-2008 11:00 AM

Old 09-05-2010, 09:45 AM
CabinBuilder/Author

Thanked 4,012 Times in 960 Posts

Advertise Here

Airbus hiked half the damn AT.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2010, 10:12 AM

I think you forgot to mention a really big backpack!

But, if you are serious about this, you did leave out an important item out of your first-aid kit...Super-Glue. It closes up wounds immediately.

Also a camera and notepad, that way when you come back to earth, you may have the makings for a book or movie....who knows!
Old 09-05-2010, 04:12 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocador View Post
I find it quite laughable these greenhorns romanticize about heading west and going it alone without even being there for anytime. Hell even a summer thunderstorm at altitude can cause hypothermia.

Those hills are hard, and rough, there is no mercy, mother nature is an unforgiving bitch and could give a **** about you and your milk stained lips. 1 mistake gets you dead.

You better do **** ton more research. Your romantic views are gonna get you killed or worse.

Yeah....might end up like Christopher McCandless

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_McCandless

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010, 04:43 PM

I say go for it airbus, you only live once! And remember, if you run into any trouble you can always call some of these no-it-all armchair survivalist on here to give you some advice....

I wouldn't start in the fall of the year though, might not give you enough time to get things together before winter hits.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Prepared

Not to give you false hope but proceed with caution.

I watched a video of some New Yorkers visiting a trapper and his wife in the Alaskan bush in the ANWAR, he was there before it was a national park or reserve. Anyway, it was VERY interesting and VERY cool. Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to payabontim For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,312 Posts

I once saw an incredible list made by a guy who actually lived in Alaska. I think it was on Survivalblog. Please check it out; he had everything from Bisquick to beans. It was the most comprehensive list I've ever seen, and he even gave amounts.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,312 Posts

I think this is it:

http://www.survivalblog.com/cgi-bin/...ncludeBlogs=28

Or just go to Survivalblog and search through "gear". The list is amazing.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,155 Posts

you need (i would say) at least 1000ft of 550 cord. Rope you need.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Jihaadi GoBOOM

Thanked 8,112 Times in 3,149 Posts

I did a LITTLE of this 40 years ago, with my now ex wife. Probably one reason why she ran off years later with that damn postman... Start small, close enough to get out, extend your range and time as you learn what "oh S**t, wish I had brought a ----- means. Much easier when you can hike a day to the truck and head for supplies. A guy had similar questions about going offshore in a sailboat. Same answer. Go spend some learning time with people who KNOW what they're doing. Oh yeah, and if you're young and energetic enough to pull this off, DON'T GIVE UP. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSassy View Post
I think this is it:

http://www.survivalblog.com/cgi-bin/...ncludeBlogs=28

Or just go to Survivalblog and search through "gear". The list is amazing.
Linky no workee.
The Following User Says Thank You to payabontim For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2010, 02:09 AM
RINO

Thanked 2,084 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac. View Post
I'm sure you can find like-minded individuals on this site, for starters.

I pride myself on being prepared and being progressively self-sufficient and while a part of me does respect your desire to strike out on your own in this capacity history proves that no single individual is likely have all of the answers. In bringing similarly motivated people together in nearly any unified effort almost nothing is impossible. The creative awareness that human beings are capable of together is much of what separates us from other animals. Friends or companions in such a test/lifestyle change would ultimately be more valuable than any item on your "list".

Where you fall short, he or she may pick up the slack and vice versa. Team-work is a great thing.

Dogs are also excellent companions, in a different capacity. I would risk my own life for my dog's well-being and he would do the same. He already has. They can perceive some threats long before you do,which can help you be ready in some situations. Being close to an animal and having a bond with one is also being close to nature.
everything you described here is why ppl live in towns and communities, and not out in the wilderness. OP: perhaps you could just find a really small town with a few dozen ppl in it to join up with, and become a contributing member of their society?
Old 09-06-2010, 02:23 AM
Custom User Title

Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocador View Post
Make no mistake. I don't think it is impossible. I ran my share of misery whips and split a log or 2 in all the years of Wrangling, Guiding and Outfitting.
Hey, im curious (if you know the answer to this question), about how many hours a day would you need to spend to accumulate enough firewood to last each night in a snowy, mountain environment?
Im curious in an emergency survival sense....in case i got stuck overnight in a winter environment.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Trapper

or mebe some wire to make snares so that they are more versitile, definently a good saw, and sharpening stones, if your in bear country you might want to think about a high power handgun for self protection, or mebe a shotgun versitility
Old 09-06-2010, 11:10 PM
CabinBuilder/Author

Thanked 4,012 Times in 960 Posts

Ruger .454 Alaskan.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:01 AM

thats a great story about the guy in the Alaskan cabin. wish I could find a cabin all set up to do something like. I also love the story of the guy, can't remember his name now, but he lived in Alaska in a cabin for like 30 years and filmed it all, wrote a book about it later. what a great documentry. I'd love to try that for a year or two. thanks
Old 09-08-2010, 01:45 AM
hunter-gatherer

Quote:
Hey, im curious (if you know the answer to this question), about how many hours a day would you need to spend to accumulate enough firewood to last each night in a snowy, mountain environment?
Im curious in an emergency survival sense....in case i got stuck overnight in a winter environment.
Depends where you are. And how you burn it.

Around here, for general use in mild to cold weather (not severe cold) i find that three trees of about 4 inches around that are snags (dead, but snagged on other trees and didn't hit the ground) are good for about 2 days as a warm campfire. If it's really cold and you need a fire going all night then you need to about double that up to be 'safe'. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so around here to find and cut the trees, maybe another hour or so's work to buck it all up (using a good bucksaw.)

Now - if you're using a wood burning stove - you need less wood. They're more efficient. If you have a fire reflector like a spaceblanket focusing the heat at you, again you need less wood. If you're doing an improvised lean to shelter because you got stuck out, you'll need more wood as the fire should be longer (more rectangular than square)

If all you have is very soft woods - you'll need more wood (burns faster). Some hardwood chunks can improve burn time if you put them on after you've built up a bed of coals with the softer woods.

So in the end it depends But that should give you a rough baseline. Most people find they need more wood than they though, so whatever you think you need, get more than that and you're probably on the right track. Timewise - totally depends but around here with the availability of wood that we have i'd say maybe 2 hours to have enough on hand to be more than safe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Foxer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2010, 01:48 AM
hunter-gatherer

Quote:
also love the story of the guy, can't remember his name now, but he lived in Alaska in a cabin for like 30 years and filmed it all, wrote a book about it later. what a great documentry. I'd love to try that for a year or two. thanks
Richard Proenneke. Heck of a guy. More frequently referred to by the shortened form of his name, but apperently the 'censor' software thinks i'm being vulgar when i use it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foxer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2010, 01:53 AM
hunter-gatherer

OP - you 're going to need some sort of revenue stream. Living in the woods is far less expensive, but it still takes money.

You will break things, lose things, run out of things. Some foods and medicines simply can't be scrounged in the woods, and you may have what you've harvested ransacked by animals (or people).

Even if it were only a couple thousand a year, or a thousand, it would be enough to buy those things you really can't do without that you're low on. Proenneke had a pension income, but unless you do you'll need to earn a buck.

Lots of ways to do that - trapping for furs, making carvings that you sell at local stores, even picking mushrooms is fairly profitable in some areas. Perhaps guiding or the like. Doesn't have to be MUCH money, but you'll need to buy some things as you go.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Prepared

To add to what Foxer said.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/07/vbs...ex.html?hpt=C2
The Following User Says Thank You to payabontim For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2011, 09:27 PM

Well Airbus001, I don't see any food at all.Some jerked beef,or dried fish,beans,rice anything to get by on until hunting,fishing,trapping, starts showing dividends. Nice to have something to fall back on.Just a good ideas all.