Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Perfect survival weapon Laufstahl Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 37 03-22-2018 08:51 PM
Budget survival weapon + ammo bpdh Firearms General Discussion 35 06-01-2014 08:59 PM
combat and/or survival weapon set up homefront Firearms General Discussion 63 01-08-2014 02:59 PM
The perfect survival weapon proudpatriot66 Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 84 11-03-2013 01:53 AM
Finishing up my all purpose survival weapon therichardpowell Shotgun Forum 35 02-13-2013 11:02 AM
.410 good survival weapon among others BugOutBoy91 Firearms General Discussion 63 10-28-2012 12:55 AM
Best All Around Survival Weapon AK8139 Ladies Section 92 05-21-2012 03:48 PM
What is the most versatile survival weapon? Jochoa Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 80 04-04-2012 11:01 AM
M1 Carbine as a Survival Weapon 89LSC Military Weapons Forum 119 11-06-2011 12:21 PM

View Poll Results: The Best Survival Weapon.
Recurve 254 29.16%
Longbow 146 16.76%
Compound 144 16.53%
Crossbow 151 17.34%
Slingshot 79 9.07%
Blowgun 8 0.92%
Muzzleloader 89 10.22%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2010, 09:41 PM
The "Truth" Is A Lie!

Post Best Survival Weapon? Poll!

Advertise Here

Question is simple, which is better in your opinion for TEOTWAWKI. Think long term, hunting/defence in a serious survival sitation. Consider that your ammo stores are limited, and that eventually it will begin to wear. Nothing lasts forever:

Recurve
Longbow
Compound
Crossbow
Slingshot
Blowgun
Muzzleloader

If you have a minute, please leave a comment on why you voted the way you did. This will allow us who are trying to figure out what to buy make an informative decision.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lonewanderer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Por la gloria!

I chose the Compound Bow:

Recurve - Good range, however, difficult to use
Longbow - Excellent range, however, very difficult to use
Compound - Easy to use and range is good
Crossbow - Good, however range is limited
Slingshot - Only good for small game; i doubt you could kill a bear with it
Blowgun - Only effective if one uses poison
Muzzleloader - Limited ammo and the gunpowder cannot be reused
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guardian For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Prepared

Muzzle loader, better range, more lethal. Granted you need more supplies for it to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010, 12:06 AM

For long term I picked the long bow because its simple. The one weakness, the string could be replaced with a little practice and know how. Arrow could also be made with a little practice.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greywolf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Ringin Your Gong From 600

Thanked 11,417 Times in 4,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
For long term I picked the long bow because its simple. The one weakness, the string could be replaced with a little practice and know how. Arrow could also be made with a little practice.
Some vote, same reasons.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawkbern For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2010, 12:32 AM
Titleless

Thanked 1,243 Times in 546 Posts

I chose the longbow mainly because I have one and am a fair shot with it. I live in West Texas with long vistas so I don't need the maneuverability of a recurve. Most of the compounds i have seen have moving wheels with axle pins that would be the pits to replace in the field. Crossbows are heavier than a longbow that will have equal range. Slingshots and blowguns are too short range. Its way more work to make the powder for a flintlock muzzleloader than it is to make arrows for a longbow. Plus, I can get off 4 arrows to a muzzleloaders 1. Thats on a bad day. Just my opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Highplains For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2010, 07:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,447 Times in 4,139 Posts

Recurve, Longbow or Compound if they have the same draw weight, draw length and limb size there is NEGLIGABLE difference between them for accuracy, distance or penetration...Just so you know, in simplistic terms, the Longbow is a recurve/decurve configuration which a recurve bow has just overly exaggerated...Why didn't you include the Mongol/Korean/Magyar et al style of horse bows or the Japanese Yumis for that matter...I would have much rather seen the poll to read, traditional vs. compound.

No bow is easier to use or easier to aim then another...A compound though will allow you to hold your draw for much longer allowing, hopefully, for a better shot (angle/presentation) to present itself and that's its only advantage when comparing apples to apples...Comparing a 50# traditional to an 80# compound is ludicrous as the compound will have a faster velocity--more power, obviously and thusly will give a flatter trajectory...Either form can have pin sights added to aid accuracy so a compound with them on isn't unique...In 1978, I had them mounted on an old 48# Bear Magnum bow--you just drilled two small holes for the TD/KD inserts to fit and you can interchange them to your hearts delight--same applies for counter weights, recoil buffers and any other thing you see a compounds.

The difference lies in whether you use a very short, short, medium long or very long stick to propel your arrow...Shorter bows handle easier is confined spaces like blinds and tree stand or in heavy bush but offer a harsher draw and release whilst a longer bow will draw easier and release smoother but are harder to manoeuvre around so that's why they use them primarily for target shooting...Unfortunately, the medium length really isn't a compromise as it doesn't really have the benefits or drawbacks of either...

Crossbows--what kind -- modern materials or wooden construction? Modern materials, traditional or compound draw/limbs system? Here though a compound of equal draw weight will shoot faster then a traditional limbed model but not significantly to alter the results...Crossbows are the easiest bows to use, hold, aim and learn on as you don't have to spend years developing your muscle groups necessary for drawing a stick bow...That was the reason that an early Pope declared them weapons of mass destruction

For either method; Accurate, confident of a kill, range is up to 75 yds with a heavy compound but 60 yds is the more realistic maximum and I won't take a shot beyond 45 to 50 yds. with my compound and 35 to 40 yds with my Mongol Horse bow or or slightly longer traditional bow.

Blowgun or slingshot -- slings are good as they're very compact and just about anything can be used as a projectile depending on purpose...I'll pick up pebbles, even pine cones and shoot them into the bush to scare out deer or use a marble for small game getting...A blowgun, with a proper dart--not that shyte that comes with the plastic tubes--will kill small game but is useless for anything else (without poison)...Both require lots of practice and neither one would I trust my life to and would only carry a sling for no longer then an anticipated few days stranded in the bush...Blowguns, well just blow!

Guardian --No powder is reusable!

Blackpowder can be made in your kitchen with readily available materials that you don't have to purchase, you can't do that with smokeless! The lead slugs from either HP or BP can be re-melted and recast as long as there is material left.

Depending on whether you're using a traditional or in line system and the type of projectile, ball, slug or sabot the range would be about the same as a shotgun...75 yds to a maximum of 125 yds but there are some "magnum" versions that will extend out to even 200 yds...N.B. this applies to traditional, lets call it patch and ball/Miniť style over loose powder or Pyrodex pellets and does not apply to BPCR--BP (brass) Cartridge Rifles--like the Sharps or Trapdoor Springfield etc. but not necessarily a part of CAS/SASS--Cowboy Action Shooting which are other categories entirely.

I shoot BPCR silhouette and paper out to 1,000 yds with calibres like .38/55, .40/65, .45/70, .50/90 etc. and CAS in lever rifles and revolvers with .25/20, .32/40, .30/30, .30/40 Krag-Jorgensen, .44/40, .45 LC all traditional mid to late 1800 cartridges in some original but mostly replica period firearms.

I chose blackpowder by the way.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2010, 07:04 AM
harvester of tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
I chose the Compound Bow:

Recurve - Good range, however, difficult to use
Longbow - Excellent range, however, very difficult to use
Compound - Easy to use and range is good
Crossbow - Good, however range is limited
Slingshot - Only good for small game; i doubt you could kill a bear with it
Blowgun - Only effective if one uses poison
Muzzleloader - Limited ammo and the gunpowder cannot be reused
it just makes the most sense and you can increse the pull
Old 07-10-2010, 07:38 AM
Target Shooter

Compound:

pro's:
- accurate and deadly( razorheads penetrate even kevlar vests with ease)
- powerful
- It's major advantage: very quiet!
con's:
- the arrow will be destroyed or lost, if you miss
- wear on parts, you need replacements
Old 07-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Just fed up.

Thanked 1,459 Times in 420 Posts

One of JoergS's rifle slingshots.
I wish I could make one, or he would start selling them.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chops249 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2010, 12:22 PM

Default weapon

I vote none of the above.A weapon is but a tool,you use different tools for different jobs.For instance you dont use a hammer to screw in a screw.Your mind is your best weapon.My 2 cents on the subject.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to tbanks For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2010, 01:46 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,610 Times in 8,963 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I didn't vote for any of those listed. As you pointed out in eliminating modern weapons, they wear out or break. So do the ones listed. I'd go with a dozen javelins, a couple of heavy spears, and a club. All can be made with a sharp rock and a fire. And you can stock up on spear heads and javelin points without investing too much to improve effectiveness of fire hardened wood.

Just my thoughts on the matter. I'm kind of in a contrary mood this morning.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:30 AM
The "Truth" Is A Lie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post
I didn't vote for any of those listed. As you pointed out in eliminating modern weapons, they wear out or break. So do the ones listed. I'd go with a dozen javelins, a couple of heavy spears, and a club. All can be made with a sharp rock and a fire. And you can stock up on spear heads and javelin points without investing too much to improve effectiveness of fire hardened wood.

Just my thoughts on the matter. I'm kind of in a contrary mood this morning.
Heh, I started to add spear/club! You're right it's much easier to make a spear than a arrow. I was afraid though that most people would have a 0% chance of actually killing anything with a spear. Have you ever tried sneaking up on a deer? You'de have to be in a standing position, close enough to hit it (20 yards max?), and the act of throwing a spear involves alot of movement...sure to startle a deer right away. heh, I'm not sure how they did it for so many thousands of years. I have a feeling the hunter of old was a thousand times more skilled than the hunters of new.

I'm really supprised crossbow isn't getting more votes though! For hunting and defence it seems so much better. And muzzle loader? really? Tons of cleaning, and while making powder is possible it's easier to whittle out a couple of arrows. And even if you have the powder, where are you going to get the lead to make new bullets?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lonewanderer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Emperor In Exile

Thanked 15,134 Times in 6,846 Posts

Longbow because it can be used as a pattern to make other longbows easily, you can always make more arrows and string...they may not be as effective as the original but will do the job.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robkenpo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Prepared

Compound - they tend to haev shorter arms than a recerve or longbow for the saem draw weight, and many have a limited adjustment of the draw weight to alow for more versitilty.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Survivalist

i vote compound¨!!!!
Old 07-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,447 Times in 4,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewanderer View Post
I'm really supprised crossbow isn't getting more votes though! For hunting and defence it seems so much better. And muzzle loader? really? Tons of cleaning, and while making powder is possible it's easier to whittle out a couple of arrows. And even if you have the powder, where are you going to get the lead to make new bullets?
The same place you're going to get your steel for your arrow/spear heads, by scavenging--unless. of course, you're going to learn flintknapping...Oh, and making arrows isn't just finding a stick and mounting a head, you have to straighten them (otherwise they fly all over the place), fletch them, balance them, cut them the same length...You going to use wire or sinew to mount your heads?

As I pointed out the only benefit that a compound bow offers is the ability to hold your draw and that's it...it isn't faster or more accurate the any other stick bow -- of comparable draw weight...You can, because of the pulleys, be able to maybe draw a heavier bow back to full draw and thusly get a faster/flatter arrow flight but that still depends on your musculature and nowhere will it come close to the 150# draw of a common crossbow.

Walk into any abandoned home made before 1975 or so and you'll have a plethora of lead in the water pipes or if replaced just the plumbing stack alone will yield maybe 300 to 400 lbs.

The thing about BP is simply distance...Start hunting an area heavy and watch all the docile little critters get very, very wary--well beyond bow range and most certainly beyond spear range even if using an atlatl.

The tons of cleaning is a good point but aren't you going to dress your arrows after every time you use them, check the fletching, nock, head and shaft straightness--remember, unless kiln (or similar) dried they have a tendency to warp--as will your bow stave...You going to oil your linen or flax bow string so the damp won't effect them and you do know that you won't be hunting in snow or rain as the strings have a tendency to stretch when damp and that means you won't get the same draw...You'll have to check the pulleys and wires on a compound for any frayed areas and how will you replace them in the field or even at your camp site?

Guardian -- I just realized what you meant about reusable powder but you can...You just pull the bullet and pour out the (damp) powder onto a sheet of paper and let it air dry...After a couple of days just mix it in with your other powder and it will work fine.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2010, 04:43 PM

The best survival weapon is your head. think about it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tazman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2010, 04:47 PM
The "Truth" Is A Lie!

heh, I really love this thread, every time I see a post I get excited.
The Following User Says Thank You to lonewanderer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Maximus

Thanked 15,414 Times in 6,591 Posts

I choose traditional bow because I like them and shoot them well. Compound bows are nice, but I just like traditional better.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post: