House broken into last night - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dad's House Broken Into boldimagery Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 33 10-22-2015 11:34 PM
Congress Wants Broken Laser to Zap North Korea¯s Broken Missiles BobMacnamara Political News and Discussion 0 05-01-2012 12:39 PM
House broken into while still home PapaWhiskyBravo Australia and New Zealand 20 01-14-2012 06:40 AM
Noise in the house at night - Lighting for fire zones Lono Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 38 10-18-2011 04:05 PM
Long term food(efoodsdirect, mountain house, etc) -- broken down by cost/calorie jond General Discussion 9 01-11-2011 03:04 AM
Unwanted Intruder - In my house last night. (levity) OldSchool Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 44 03-07-2010 11:14 PM
Last Night at the Rooming House.. Lamb General Discussion 24 05-12-2009 12:24 AM
Attempted hom invasion at our house last night. Brew Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 117 12-06-2008 10:00 PM

Old 08-25-2009, 12:32 AM
I am whatever I say I am

Advertise Here

That is scary. We live in a two-story house, and I lock all first-floor doors and windows for the night, but leave second-story windows open for fresh air. Including those in my kids bedrooms. Reading this just gave me another thing to worry about.
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2009, 12:34 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 7,163 Times in 3,372 Posts

An inside dog is the best burglar alarm around, and dang cheap at the pound unless you want something fancy. Mutts are great dogs! Dont have your kids running around the house if you are armed and looking for a perp!!! Tell your kids to hide under their beds or in closet if scared. Put a "tap light" and whistle there.

If you have a shotgun for home defence, then mount the light on it unless you have three hands.

Last edited by Jeffrey; 08-25-2009 at 12:43 AM..
Old 08-25-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
An inside dog is the best burglar alarm around, and dang cheap at the pound unless you want something fancy. Mutts are great dogs! Dont have your kids running around the house if you are armed and looking for a perp!!! Tell your kids to hide under their beds or in closet if scared. Put a "tap light" and whistle there.

If you have a shotgun for home defence, then mount the light on it unless you have three hands.
Hi Jeff,

I have a double barrel 12.5 inch Dominion shotty. Its legal and yes that is short! I actually carried my flashlight underneath the barral in my left hand. So no need to mount. If I need to go one handed with the shotty I can. I think this gives me more options so i don't have to necessarily point the gun at where the flashlight is pointing.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Target Shooter

1x4 boards would make great door stopper. A more expensive alternative is fold ladder. Even when windows are broken, it is not easy to take the stopper out from just reaching in. The best way is to drill a hole 3/4 the way and hang a heavy weight by the old shoe string and run the string through the hole with a nail as a stopper. I use barbell weight, which would make a clanking sound when the board is being moved.

GS is a best breed for home protection, family pet, and pretty much everything in between. Golden retrievers and labs, while could be trained to be alarm dogs, are usually way too friendly. The best combination is a GS and a poodle with the window slightly crack with a nail stopper to prevent someone from just lifting it up. The dogs can hear outside noise much better and some of us light sleeper here would also spot trouble brewing right away. The trick I use is to feed the dog before bedtime to prevent them from being tricked with food. No matter how well trained dogs are, most dogs will eat a juice steak if left out in the open. They may not eat it from a stranger's hand but they'll eat it if it's left outside and this is why informed home invaders would do. I grew up in Asia and you guys wouldn't believe the measure the home invaders would do to break into people house. Most houses over there have metal sliding doors and quadruple locks with chain and giant barlocks but that wouldn't stop a few guys with metal saw sitting outside and work all night. The crazy part is that they know there are people inside make they are good enough to steal without waking people up. The only good thing is that they are mostly after the goods and will run at the first sign of trouble and almost always never carry a weapon to hurt people. That is contrary to intruders in the U.S. have most likely have no issue silencing the homeowners.

Last summer I went back for a visit and a house across the alley was being broken into 4 a.m. They two guys apparently started working on the garage door locks from 1 a.m. and got 3 out of 4 locks cut when owner poured scalding hot water on them from the balcony. It turned out the owner had installed a new smart chains with embedded wire that when cut an alarm will sound off in the master bedroom. When he heard the alarm, he went and set the deadbolt to the upper level and boil the water to punish the invaders. This is Asia so people can't have guns but they can pretty much do most things to protect their property without worrying about junk law suits.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,826 Posts

Thankfully you and your family came out of this Safe. This draws attention to what measure people are willing to do during times of peace. Imagine what is to come when all hell breaks loose. Simple solution prepare, isolate, and secure.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:46 AM
Sell crazy someplace else

Thanked 1,573 Times in 851 Posts

I am glad you and yours are safe. I have had my shop and house broken into. It leaves you with a crappy feeling inside. When my house was broken into, I wasn't home but I rolled up on them. I chased them in my truck(1 ton Dodge 4x4). I drove down the railroad tracks to cut them off but they must have seen my through the houses. I was waiting and they didn't come around the block and that was probably a good thing too because I was going to ram them. There were four of them and I wasn't up for hand to hand combat. They would have probably been badly hurt and I would have been in jail for hurting the bad guys. Someone inside the house with family is a different story. Just remember these words, "I was in fear of my and my family's lives and I want to speak to my attorney." That is ALL that you say.

As far as dogs, small dogs do a great job of warning you. They will do that now. If you want a protection dog, that dog won't be ready for years. I have a Rat Terrier and a Rott. The Rat can hear a flea fart at a hundred yards. It's funny the someone wrote that because that is exactly how I phrase it.

Next thing is cameras. I don't think anyone has mentioned that yet(surprising). You can get a decent setup for a couple hundred bucks. Yes even hoser dollars. You can buy a card to install in a desktop computer that you can hook up cameras to. I bought one for $100 that included 2 cameras. It came with software that would allow 4 cards x 4 cameras. You could hook that computer up to the internet and monitor your house while you are away.

Here is why cameras are awesome. Click the bar and read the description. Sound familiar?

This is what I bought, but they were running a special that included to cheap cameras.

http://www.q-seestore.com/ProductDet...tCode=QSPDVR04

P.S. My guess is that it is a neighborhood punk.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:53 AM
Sell crazy someplace else

Thanked 1,573 Times in 851 Posts

This version has the 911 call.

And of course everyone has seen this one.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:04 AM
Really?

Thanked 10,509 Times in 5,063 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Everybody's got 3 layers of security( outside dogs, inside dogs and a light sleeper)......right?
Old 08-26-2009, 02:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,910 Times in 2,481 Posts

I have a 40 pound Border Collie who hears everything and WILL attack. (She has bitten two people who came into the yard despite the "beware of dog" sign). When she is in action, she is very scary, even if small...she leaves no doubts at all that she will be vicious. She is also fast as lightening and gives no warning before she rushes out, she's just suddenly there, which has scared the crap out of people too. Like others have said, it doesn't have to be a big dog. I too have a small yard and I can't afford to feed a bigger dog either, especially in a SHTF scenario. I've got only a few months provision for myself, but a years' worth for her...it'd take up a lot more room if I had a German shepherd!

Last edited by lanahi; 08-26-2009 at 02:29 AM..
Old 08-26-2009, 10:20 PM

Rig the windows with pull string alarms like these:

http://budk.com/product.asp?pn=35%20NS109

They make a loud bang if they open the window quickly, if it doesn't scare them off it'll at least wake you.

And get a rhodesian ridgeback, one of the best guard dogs and well mannered too, but many of the other breeds work just as well.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:41 PM

There's a thing you've got to remember about a domestic burglary.

If the BG wants to get in, he'll get in. Whether it means smashing windows, battering the door down, or clambering in with the help of a ladder if he wants to be in he'll get in.

There was a case in the UK recently about a robbery where an iPod, laptop and some other gadgets went walkabout and the thief used the laptop to taunt the victim. It got me thinking about a system on the laptop which uses an automated macro to send an email back to you when the laptop is turned on and connected to the 'Net. Armed with the IP of the thief's Internet you can then go about tracking him down and getting your property back.

I can't help but think it might be useful in the case of the OP.

And as another user posted check all Pawn shops in the local area since it's more than likely it's been shifted there.

I'd also make sure any rooms which might be targeted by a thief are covered by CCTV. Since most criminals are stupid as hell you may well get a crook who brazenly shows his face, and since most domestic robbers are known to the Police already identification might not be that difficult.

Not to mention you might get a surprise at who the thief is/was.

Some associates of mine in North England had a trespasser in their garden repeatedly steal items from them. They rigged a camera up and found out this thief was their own neighbour who'd claimed (On his insurance too.) that he'd had his property stolen too.

Just my $0.02. Hope it helps.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:33 PM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,348 Times in 8,802 Posts

The thing about burglaries is that the dirtbags will often come back. So there you have it. The dirty truth. Once your home gets hit, you can almost expect it to get hit again. A homeowner should anticipate the possibility of a home invasion or burglary happening. The next strike could be while the homeowner is present. You can never relax your guard and probably should consider keeping yourself constantly armed with at least a decent quality pistol. I just about always have my Glock 22C on my person when at home.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Barbarian

Put shards of glass or something on your window sill, lets see them try to climb with that in the way!
Old 08-30-2009, 02:54 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlemiss9419 View Post
There is this thin plastic sheet you can buy and stick on your windows. If your window is broken it will stay intact.
That stuff isn't that good. Or wasnt back in 1993 ?
You can pop the class with a center punch, which shatters it, and then take a knife and cut the " sheets" out of the way.
Fairly quietly.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:33 AM

Do you know what the window film is called and where to buy it? Is it expensive to do a whole house?