**ladies section** November 2015 rants.... - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
**Ladies Section-Ladies Only** Conceal carry for ladies Lindsterkay Ladies Section 34 01-12-2019 02:12 AM
**Ladies Section** September Rant 2015 Bronzino Ladies Section 67 11-05-2015 09:54 PM
**ladies section** august 2015 rants.... eadavis Ladies Section 89 10-01-2015 09:15 PM
**Ladies Section** July 2015 Rants icicle Ladies Section 67 08-02-2015 02:54 PM
June 2015 Rants (Ladies Section) icicle Ladies Section 83 06-29-2015 06:04 PM
May 2015 Rants (Ladies Section) Teslin Ladies Section 107 06-01-2015 11:49 AM
April Rants (Ladies Section) Teslin Ladies Section 53 05-05-2015 06:07 PM
Feb 2015 Rants - Ladies Section firebirdx Ladies Section 125 03-17-2015 06:34 AM
Jan 2015 Rants - Ladies Section ATST Ladies Section 190 02-02-2015 10:44 AM
LADIES SECTION Rant/Vent for November 2013 Paravani Ladies Section 266 12-01-2013 02:08 PM

Old 11-23-2015, 08:41 AM
Elizabeth A. Davis

Advertise Here

Work....ugh.....nothing like having to spend 45 minutes redoing something cause cookies weren't packed right so they got hard again. Brownies left in oven overnight with it off cause it was time for me to leave. The person I asked didn't take care of it.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Gypsy in the Midwest

Thanked 3,046 Times in 870 Posts

I agree a lot with the Money stuff. My hubby and I have changed how we were doing stuff at the beginning of the year. We set a budget & gave each of us a set amount of Mad money. Every Cent is accounted for EXCEPT mad Money. I'm a stay-at-home mom. He WANTS me to be at home to handle things. He likes dinner on the table at 5:30 and all his laundry done so he never has to try to figure out which dirty socks are the cleanest to wear. He'd much rather me be home than to have more money in our bank.

We live BELOW our means. We always have extra. If you are just scraping by... then you need to consider lowing your standard of living & buying less "things". Keeping up with the Jones will make you broke, envious, and in debt. I don't play that game.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:43 PM
Raving Loony

Thanked 3,938 Times in 1,501 Posts

Great advice!! I use a lot of it.

That's how the cars are paid for, the house is paid for, his mom's house is now paid for, we can pick up her homeowner's insurance (in Cape Coral, FL, NOT CHEAP). That's how we can eat like kings (or Americans anyway) for about $600 a month, including food preps (there are 6 of us plus three cats and a dog, and I pick up stuff for my grandma, so while I know I COULD cut that figure deeper, I'm not unhappy with it and no one is complaining). I COULD bring that figure down to about $450 if I used ALL my tricks ALL the time...

...but the last time I used ALL my tricks ALL the time (no convenience food ever, no out-of-season produce ever, take all damaged and unsalable and Dumpster fruit and veggies I can find and can/freeze them, no soda pop never ever not even on weekends, no candy no chips don't ask, meatless 3 days a week, ad infinitum), people felt deprived and got mad.

I got my goal (debt-free), so other people had to get their goals (less austerity). I cringe sometimes at the thought of how the family would take re-instating the measures we used to treat as a fact of life (the older 3 kids never knew any other way until about 2013) if/when it becomes necessary. But I guess that's not a reason to instate them now.

The money is there to ask for. We're within our means, well within our means (not that that gives me any kind of bragging rights, as by dint of Hubby's murderously hard work our means are significant).

The money is there to ask for. Just-- after so many years of saying NO to so many things, and telling myself NO for so many things, I choke at the mere thought of asking for it. I have my stubborn pride. Earning my own money to buy the things I want to buy would probably be easier than choking the request out around my stubborn pride.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MC Ain't Crazy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2015, 05:14 PM
Off the leash

Thanked 2,105 Times in 889 Posts

We found out a few days ago we may not be able to get Mark's case/estate settled til sometime in the middle of next year. As much as I am dreading having to go to Chicago to give our depositions I feel like I am on hold of being able to put everything behind me and just grieve instead of thinking constantly about we still have to do.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:31 AM
Raving Loony

*hugs*

That stinks. Closure, in the form of the end of processes, is a good thing to have. Wish for you that they didn't have to be so slow.

On my end, maybe I shouldn't be so stubborn and proud. I got 3 beers' worth of drunk this past weekend and asked him what would happen if I got all crazy and asked for a woodstove for Christmas (TSC has an EPA certified mobile-home approved ~1500 SF capacity one on sale for $700 plus freight). He said, and I quote, "Ask and find someone to install it and it's yours."

It wouldn't heat the whole house (even though our side of it is 1500 SF). It's laid out wrong for good air flow for wood heat. Bedrooms at opposite ends, too many narrow halls and sharp turns. It would keep the main living area toasty. If I used it regularly in the evenings, it would keep the bedrooms cool (thermostat for the central heat is in the area where I'd put it).

I can't wrap my head around the concept of a $700 Christmas present. Just. Can't.

I am stubborn. And I am proud. I do it myself.

I sound like Al when Al was two. "I do it. MYSELF."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MC Ain't Crazy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2015, 09:04 PM

Rant every year things seem to go horrible for us starting in October. Well this year our caravan blew a head gasket and computer issues it was having. Few months before we had transmission fixed so that was money down the drain. Luckly for us husbands father bought another van for us and we pay him back weekly. Had to replace porch post. Will have to replace AC/ heat system for house come spring. While fixing a roof leak we found out that our bathroom has no insulation in the walls. This crazy weather in Texas Warm and dry one day cold and wet the next. And of course on the warm days I am at work and can't get repairs/winterizing done And had to buy tire because one one my way into town developed a bubble the size of a small ballon. Made it into town and bought one there went more money did I mention it was on the van we just got
Old 11-25-2015, 01:32 AM
Ooops - missed heddle

Thanked 1,644 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Ain't Crazy View Post
I can't wrap my head around the concept of a $700 Christmas present. Just. Can't.
I don't know what the Al quote was about, but I couldn't wrap my head around wanting to chop wood more than the $700 for the Christmas present.

#1. Chopping wood is a pain beyond a pain if you're using it to heat your whole house. Sure if everything's already hit the fan it's one thing. If you have a forest in your back yard it's a different thing. But actually doing it?

#2. I've lived in a few places with only one or two sources of heat for the winter in places where there really is a winter. Never want to do that again unless I'm forced to.

I've danced through frigid houses to get as close to the stove to dress as possible, and not been comfortable until nearly lunch. I've lived having to get up early to get the house warm enough the kids don't have to dance through a frigid house.

#3. I've lived in houses where the wood stove made the one room it was in so uncomfortable no one wanted to be there while the rest of the house was too cold.

Nu, huh. Not me. Not unless I have to.

But if you're willing to do that, it's not a $700 Christmas present to you, darling, alone. It's a backup plan if you need it. It's a cut the heating bill if you're willing to chop the wood. How long do you think it'll take to pay itself off? If you have to have it, it's invaluable. If you don't, it's always there for if and when you do. If your family doesn't gang up on you and rebel, well, you can always cut your heating bills.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:43 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,376 Times in 1,092 Posts

Whole family getting together for the holiday, all 25 of us. None are like minded so it will be junk conversation then begging off going to Walmart for early bird shopping (ours is done). If I wasn't Baptist, I would start drinking now.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:19 PM
gagged

Thanked 9,597 Times in 2,736 Posts

Even Jesus drank wine. Learn to laugh at the silly talk. Spend more time with the kids at the get together they probably never get adult attention.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:07 AM
Ooops - missed heddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady12 View Post
Whole family getting together for the holiday, all 25 of us. None are like minded so it will be junk conversation then begging off going to Walmart for early bird shopping (ours is done). If I wasn't Baptist, I would start drinking now.
I'll never understand where this Baptist total abstinence policy originated. Sure the Bible didn't recommend getting slap drunk and laying around nude or men jumping inappropriate women. Criminy, though, water wasn't safe to drink in huge regions of the world until recently. The Baptists have no problem with a communion ceremony that celebrates cannibalism, but have to serve it with grape juice because they won't drink wine? Huh?

Throw a load more junk into the conversation, laugh yourselves silly, and have a good day.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:18 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,026 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Magnolia View Post
My rant. My rant is gift cards or money gifts. I hate giving them and everyone wants them. I especially hate giving them to teens because you never get to see what they bought with your gift and most of the time teens just squander it.

Gift cards. I despise them this year. I think everyone may just get a book this year and a couple of rice packs to keep their hands warm. lol
Thank you. And glad that you posted TM....I was wondering about you the other day.

I think I'm going to bring up the subject today. The step kid and spouse always end up giving us a small gift card each and we end up writing them a much larger check. Why bother. I'll write the check and skip the gift cards. If I were really clever, I would just deduct my gift card amount from the check and just net out the amount. No I really wouldn't do that. . In fact the last one they got me I exchanged with someone I know for cash because I seldom get to that store. Of course, the store was recommended by my husband....who apparently has no clue. Then there's the little whatevers we buy because well we should, that no one needs. What makes the whole this difficult is that we are very dissimilar in tastes and hobbies and honestly don't know each other very well. (and I've been married 22 years)

I'll suggest gifts for the 7 and 4 yos only.

But.....

I'll end up buying for:

my parents
my parents to give to the steps
my parents to give to the husband's grandkids
my parents to give to the husband
my husband
my husband to give to his kids
my husband to give to his grandkids

and

my parents to give to me
my husband to give to me

I also wrap the whole mess and then pretend to have a Merry Christmas.

I'd rather go to the woods. I'd rather bake cookies like I used to and deliver them to folks (the majority of which are now deceased).

So since my husband openly admits he has no idea what to get me, I'm to shop for myself "so he doesn't have to bother and find time." Lets start with this.

Amazon.com: G Outdoors G.P.S. Rolling Range Bag,... cover
Amazon.com: G Outdoors G.P.S. Rolling Range Bag,...
(I did and its already here)

Of course, that is NOT including the new rifle scope I bought (close to $1k) ....he doesn't have time to shop, I didn't bother to mention.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:37 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,462 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weft View Post
I'll never understand where this Baptist total abstinence policy originated. Sure the Bible didn't recommend getting slap drunk and laying around nude or men jumping inappropriate women. Criminy, though, water wasn't safe to drink in huge regions of the world until recently. The Baptists have no problem with a communion ceremony that celebrates cannibalism, but have to serve it with grape juice because they won't drink wine? Huh?

Throw a load more junk into the conversation, laugh yourselves silly, and have a good day.
Since we watched Ken Burns' Prohibition series recently, I thought this became an issue in the late 1800's, when many Christians began to speak up about the social ills surrounding over-consumption of alcohol..I did a search and found this article from the Baptist News website:https://baptistnews.com/archives/ite...ly-teetotaling
The Following User Says Thank You to ksmama10 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 02:07 AM
Ooops - missed heddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmama10 View Post
...I did a search and found this article from the Baptist News website:https://baptistnews.com/archives/ite...ly-teetotaling
Thank, you! KsMama. I appreciated that link very much.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:40 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,026 Times in 814 Posts

I'm frightened to type too loudly....I might jinx things....

I sent the shot over the bow regarding the small Christmas gifts. I suggested instead that the three couples involved pitch some cash into the pot and it be donated to charity. Gifts for the littles as usual.

And.....it might just stick.

(fading into strains of ...have yourself a merry little Christmas.....)
The Following User Says Thank You to CBP For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 04:41 PM
Prov 3:5,6

Thanked 1,526 Times in 519 Posts

My husband and I bowed out of Christmas gifts some years ago when he went to school. Now we celebrate by just spending time with friends and family, food, conversation... So simple and satisfying and stress-free.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:12 PM
Raving Loony

Al, my stubbornly stubborn daughter. Dunno where she got THAT from. Wasn't my side of the family...

Here's the one I'm ogling

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...t?cm_vc=-10005

Here's the one my crazy Mad Max fantasy prepper self wants to hold out for

http://woodstoves.net/cookstoves/bakerschoice.htm

Realistically speaking, there's no point in putting a Baker's Choice in this house. If things got bad enough to require more than a heat source, a fire pit, a camp stove, and a rocket stove to get through a short-term scenario, this wouldn't be a safe place any more.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:25 PM
Raving Loony

And yeah, I hear the Christmas Shopping Rant.

For many years now, we've mostly skipped buying each other gifts and shopped only for the PILs and the kids.

This year, I'm going MIL, the kids, and my cousins' kids. We've spent a lot of time together since moving back to the general Ohio Watershed area and it's something I want to do. But the shopping stress is driving me mad. I think last night I finally just up and decided to Amazon.com the cousins' kids and have it sent to my aunt's place.