**Ladies Section** BOB comfort/non essential items - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
**Ladies Section-Ladies Only** Conceal carry for ladies Lindsterkay Ladies Section 34 01-12-2019 02:12 AM
**LADIES SECTION** Men After 40 lose Their Sex Drive! Mogli Ladies Section 112 01-09-2018 03:02 PM
Musicians - What comfort items are in your BOB? Purdy Bear General Discussion 44 12-27-2015 12:53 PM
**Ladies Section** Ladies Blessings Thread allye Ladies Section 135 11-21-2015 11:34 PM
**Ladies Section** TEOTWAWKI calendar for the Ladies... SkilletCornbread Ladies Section 2 10-17-2015 07:48 AM
Comfort items Current_Occupant Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 31 05-16-2014 01:32 AM
5 Essential First Aid Items For Camping With Kids Post18guy Health, Fitness and First Aid 2 05-04-2014 01:30 PM
Long term storage of comfort items Ghent Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 25 10-18-2013 08:29 PM
6 Essential Items In Your BOB SnowOak Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 27 03-06-2012 10:01 AM

Old 10-22-2015, 08:03 AM

Default **Ladies Section** BOB comfort/non essential items

Advertise Here

Good morning ladies

We all know about the basics of BOB's but as a woman I have a few non essential comfort items added to mine. Im an artsy/craftsy lady and the thought of going through a SHTF scenario without some kind of creative outlet makes me cringe. So with that in mind, I added some items to my BOB to help combat stress and fill down time.

In my bag I have a full set of interchangeable metal knitting needles and a few skeins of my favorite yarn, a bottle of hair serum in lieu of conditioner, deck of cards, a small solar charger for electronic e-reader, sea sponges (for periods) and a small portable art kit complete with mini sketch book, pencils, eraser, pencil sharpener and a small journal

All of these non essentials weigh less than 3.5 pounds and for me are a good addition. Something to keep me sane

Do you guys have any non essential ideas?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to feralmuse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2015, 09:32 AM
Off the leash

Thanked 2,106 Times in 890 Posts

Hello and welcome!

Some things I would carry for non-essentials might be a small sized crossword, word find book and some erasable pens, a copy of a favorite paper back book you would read several times over and maybe a small copy of a book about the birds, animals or plants in your area. Those could not only be used for pleasure but for knowledge about what maybe edible or a potential danger.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mrs.sardog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2015, 04:55 PM

I am more of a color calming type person so my things are purchased when available in purple, my favorite color. If not available, I often paint them myself.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,239 Posts

I keep a word puzzle book in my BoB to provide mental stress relief.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:38 PM
Elizabeth A. Davis

Deck of cards and jounal and pen. Good idea about puzzle books.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:50 PM
Hiker

Small bar of chocolate for emergency stress.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lynxx For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2015, 10:47 PM
Eclectic

Thanked 2,641 Times in 1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralmuse View Post
In my bag I have a full set of interchangeable metal knitting needles and a few skeins of my favorite yarn, a bottle of hair serum in lieu of conditioner, deck of cards, a small solar charger for electronic e-reader, sea sponges (for periods) and a small portable art kit complete with mini sketch book, pencils, eraser, pencil sharpener and a small journal
I used to use those, but I wouldn't think that they would be good for a BOB. It takes quite a lot of water to get them thoroughly rinsed out, and if not thoroughly rinsed, they tend to breed bacteria. I would suggest you look into the menstrual cups. They are much easier to clean and maintain, and can be boiled to sterilize if necessary.

I think the closest thing to non essential that I carry is little drink packets. I have a few individual packets of instant coffee, and several packets of flavored electrolyte powder and kool-aid. These are the single serve packets that go in a 1 liter water bottle. I carry them so that if I have to drink pond water, I can use them to flavor the water so it will taste better. I have a Sawyer mini for filtering out bacteria and protozoa, but it does nothing to improve the flavor of the water. Also, if I have to use water purification tabs, those are pretty nasty tasting too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to egad51 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2015, 10:34 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,093 Posts

I am partial to bright pink camo, myself. I keep a journal and pen in my pack as well.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:45 AM

Lol I LOVE pink camo! My best friend laughs and asks me where I'm planning on hiding....candy land? But who cares....pink camo is AWESOME
Old 12-12-2015, 05:03 PM

Kindle 2G in a faraday bag. Loaded with about 300 books I haven't read. With hand crank charger.
My leather work kit.
I may need to take a page and throw some chocolate in there too :-P
Old 12-13-2015, 12:35 PM

Graceless, hand crank charger? I have a small solar charger for my Ereader but if hand crank chargers work better, more definitely gonna look into finding one!!
Old 12-13-2015, 12:57 PM

My solar charger takes to long. I can crank a faster charge. It's one of those radio flashlight solar charger deals. There are better ones out there. But I'm broke so. Yk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Graceless For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2015, 02:27 PM
Prepared

They have external power banks that can be recharged by solar. I got one to review a few months ago. Solar is a slow recharge of the bank but if you're hiking, you just hang it on the back of your pack. The one I have took a full day of full sun to charge and will charge my phone 3 1/2 times.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:00 PM

I put the solar set up in hubs GHB trying to get the weight down.. I hike when I can do that set up worked out well ..I can charge what other things we have enough for use if needed.

I'd really love one of those rocket stove chargers!! Maybe one day ....

Or. I could try and make one. Hmmmm
Old 12-13-2015, 03:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,189 Times in 4,166 Posts

For me the main one is a good sewing kit, it all fits in an A5 box, and even has a small set of knitting needles. Photos would probably be another.

My dogs comfort item is one his sleep buddies which is a white dog that is a toy. He has one in each of his beds and one in his bob.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Purdy Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2015, 06:57 PM
Eclectic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Bear View Post
For me the main one is a good sewing kit, it all fits in an A5 box, and even has a small set of knitting needles. Photos would probably be another.

My dogs comfort item is one his sleep buddies which is a white dog that is a toy. He has one in each of his beds and one in his bob.
Rotate your dogs "sleep buddies" so that the one in his BOB always smells right. Dogs are really sensitive to their toys smelling like their own spit and stuff. After several months in a BOB, the toys can pick up odors that the dog doesn't identify as his own smells.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to egad51 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2015, 02:40 AM

I think what extras you want to take depend on the situation you are preparing for - fleeing on foot I would not take anything non essential, in the car would be different.

The main situation I think is likely for me to bug out would be a short term evacuation, for example for a nearby gas leak, where I may be going to an evacuation centre for up to about 8 hours

As I would be surrounded by lots of other unprepared people I have been thinking about making a kit with things like packs of cards, some colouring supplies for kids etc. Anyone have any ideas for cheap activities I can pack for this? As these events stress people out I would rather be surrounded by people with something to do other than panic...
Old 12-14-2015, 03:28 AM
Eclectic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArenaMoretti View Post
I think what extras you want to take depend on the situation you are preparing for - fleeing on foot I would not take anything non essential, in the car would be different.

The main situation I think is likely for me to bug out would be a short term evacuation, for example for a nearby gas leak, where I may be going to an evacuation centre for up to about 8 hours

As I would be surrounded by lots of other unprepared people I have been thinking about making a kit with things like packs of cards, some colouring supplies for kids etc. Anyone have any ideas for cheap activities I can pack for this? As these events stress people out I would rather be surrounded by people with something to do other than panic...
They make little board games suitable for use during travel. I have one that is a magnetic backgammon game, about 4"x6". Younger kids might be comforted by some beanie baby sized stuffed toys. Little boys might appreciate Matchbox cars. All little kids would probably like the $1 LED flashlights, but they would probably run down the batteries pretty fast. Some of the glow light little bracelets might be interesting to keep track of little ones in the dark. I think they come in a 5-pack for a dollar or so.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:38 PM

My favorite teas (I store them in bulk!) I have a little solar power source from Berkey for my electric tea pot.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:15 AM
I have control issues

Thanked 6,807 Times in 2,802 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I use quart and gallon-sized ZipLoc bags to compartmentalize things in my BOBs in different "kits" (First aid kit, shelter kit, warmth/light kit, cooking kit, etc.) My BOB's ALSO include a "civilities" kit. Little things to help keep you feeling human and keep yourself from going crazy. I consider those just as important as the OTHER kits, and many of the items have dual usage and can supplement/enhance the items in the other kits. The "civilities" kit can/should be tailored to the individual, as we all have different things that keep us feeling civilized.