What type of biome/region would you want to be in a realife survival situation - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Desert Region Survival Ideas 17HMRSniper Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 10 08-26-2012 09:20 PM
What type of situation do you envision? BuellerBueller Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 65 10-24-2011 12:10 AM
Water in survival situation Telbel Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 06-06-2011 02:02 PM
What type of SHTF situation do you want? johngraves2 Manmade and Natural Disasters 64 03-27-2011 01:32 AM
Easiest outdoor 4 season survival region? NE? SW? NW? SE? haji New Member Introduction 5 11-27-2010 08:24 PM
Have you been in a survival situation before? justin_baker Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 23 01-23-2010 10:33 AM
When are you in a Survival Situation Grixxly Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 18 10-23-2009 09:50 PM
What About This Type Of Situation? 2manygunz Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 06-13-2009 11:49 PM

Old 02-10-2013, 11:43 PM
VIP Member

Advertise Here

Personally I hate the heat, I mean I really despise the heat. So I would pick someplace that is a little cooler, and actually has 4 seasons. My personal preference would be southern Montana or Wyoming. I have trained in the mountains and lived in them for a while, yeah I realize you have to spend a lot of time in the warmer months preparing for the winter but I also don't mind a little work (yes I know how much wood it takes to survive a winter in a cold climate and have cut it before). Just my preference. Plus it is alot less likely that there will be a lot of people in those areas.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to txjeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2013, 02:00 PM
democrats = Hydra

Thanked 9,416 Times in 3,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txjeeper View Post
Personally I hate the heat, I mean I really despise the heat. So I would pick someplace that is a little cooler, and actually has 4 seasons. My personal preference would be southern Montana or Wyoming. I have trained in the mountains and lived in them for a while, yeah I realize you have to spend a lot of time in the warmer months preparing for the winter but I also don't mind a little work (yes I know how much wood it takes to survive a winter in a cold climate and have cut it before). Just my preference. Plus it is alot less likely that there will be a lot of people in those areas.
I hate the heat too but it will only make you miserable. cold can kill you, so I'd go south if I have the choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sailorsam For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,678 Times in 1,546 Posts

As one who has survived many a Wisconsin winter by products of our own hands, I know that it is both possible and actually enjoyable. But, one does not go out in mid-winter wearing Nike sports shoes and bb shorts...

When we moved to Kentucky, we just laughed at the idiots who complained about the cold, but didn't even begin to wear cold climate clothing.

I'm another one who really struggles with the hot climates. Once I'm naked and standing in the shade, there isn't much else I can do except watch the women and children run screaming from my location. Perhaps a new BOL defensive style of combat... Want my supplies? You gotta see me out in the yard sans clothing!

Oh, and yes, there is nothing better than sitting in a hot tub out on the deck in -20*F weather then taking a roll in the snow before jumping back into the tub. Sort of refreshing...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pastornator For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Prepared

I like my hundred acres of forest in the near north. Lots of game and water. Few people to spread disease.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teapot For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,678 Times in 1,546 Posts

After thinking some more about this thread, I've changed my mind...

I think everyone should head south to where it is warm all the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to pastornator For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,293 Times in 489 Posts

I would go for taiga and boreal forest. I'm also the type of person that don't react to well to very hot weather.
The temperatures generally lies between 15-30 degr C during summer, 0-15 degr C during fall although sometimes dipping down towards -5 degr C during the last part. Winter is more or less snowy with temps between -35 and +5-10 degr C...varies quite a bit actually.
So the biome we have here where I live is good for me. Not as deserted as one might like all the time though, we don't have the large areas without any people living here, and we can't really buy such land to any degree either, and that sucks a bit.
But still, for me it is pretty much perfect. Water is never a problem, tinder is plentiful, lots of wildlife and game if you know how to hunt and fish, there are no dangerous snakes or spiders or similar crap; 'bout the worst thing we have is ticks that can carry TBE and Lyme disease towards the coastal woodsy areas. Not too much insects, although the mosquitoes can be bad in wet areas.
The only poisonous viper is about as bad as a regular honey-bee. Yeah, we got bears, but they're not very plentiful. Wolves as well, wolverines and badgers, and lynx. But none of the last ones are considered a threat to humans at all.

The soil is nutritious enough that we can grow pretty much anything that manages to cling to life in these temperatures and through the dark periods of the year, so if you have a retreat and a little garden-patch, you can keep going for an extended period.

No high-threat areas with regards to earthquakes, nuke targets, hurricanes and such, although we do get really bad weather from time to time, and people have lost their lives, mostly from exposure. But if you have even basic survival skills, it's usually all good.

It is a bit cold yeah, and it can get very snowy in winter, but still...

This is an example close to my birth town, taken last November. Not the deepest forest this, but about 7 km from city center.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endl3ss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 PM
read more, post less

I would prefer the mountains. And that said I think I am good where I am. Or _maybe_ in Pinetop, AZ. I doubt I could 'bug out' any further than I am now, so I guess I wouldn't have to bug out from here. Lot's of game, but lots of knowledge still needed . . . .

but I am still so unprepared in so many ways . . . . . still lurking. . . .
The Following User Says Thank You to teddyearp For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,241 Times in 5,748 Posts

I have been thinking biosphere some where in northern canada .
The Following User Says Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 05:13 AM
what?

"What type of biome/region would you want to be in a realife survival situation?"

Right where I am now, why?
-I know what kind of wildlife to find, and where.
-Edible plants are familiar, no experiments with exotic stuff
-Weatherpatterns, you better know when to run for shelter
-Plenty of fresh water, drinking quality

Cheers, WTG
The Following User Says Thank You to WAY TO GO For This Useful Post: