Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cheaper than dirt cgcs Reviews and questions 19 03-15-2012 12:07 PM
Afghanistan is made for dirt bikes. A-10's love dirt bikes... JakeS General Discussion 20 10-27-2011 04:42 PM
Just putting in the dirt time. (short video I made of todays fail) Crutch Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 07-11-2011 08:34 PM
Dirt time in San Bernardino Cal. Whitey Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 06-21-2011 03:59 PM
Dirt Time 10 zengunfighter Events, Connections and Get togethers 0 06-26-2010 03:57 PM
Time to Dig Up Some C-Span Dirt.. Sword Controversial News and Alternative Politics 0 03-16-2010 12:39 PM
DIRT and DSR jaygriff General Discussion 52 02-28-2010 02:17 PM
cheaper than dirt New_Pollution1086 Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 22 12-05-2008 07:13 PM
Dirt Bikes. Giguere Vehicles & Transportation 6 05-31-2008 09:18 AM

Old 01-23-2013, 08:10 AM
Homesteader

Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,678 Posts

Advertise Here

Great! I'm glad to see you doing this test. Very few people do it. They show pretty pictures of all their new gear and think they are well equipped. Even if you don't succeed in your first attempt, you will learn where the weaknesses are. This cold weather is the time to test it. Here it is 10 degrees and with the wind chill well below zero.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Get Out There

Quote:
Originally Posted by twyggy View Post
If you're not ready to go out, don't go out, bro. Don't let us push you to do something you don't feel comfortable doing. If we're being honest, it sounds like you aren't ready to go out. Aint no shame in that!

I learned a LOT in my own back yard. Lotta gear testing happened in my back yard. Specifically, testing different shelter combinations to see what worked.

Don't listen to all these pogues who want to call you a couch commando because you "only slept in your back yard". These types of guys are lost and hollow inside, and need something prideful to cling to in order to give their lives meaning.

Don't discredit the back yard, it can teach you many things, as well as provide you immediate relief once you've learned the lessons you need to learn.
Aint no shame in setting up in the backyard. Especially if it is your first time testing out equipment. It would actually be very smart to test your equipment out in your backyard first then head to the woods. Ive been backpacking for years and I always test out shelter and sleep systems in my backyard before heading to the backcountry.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bushcraft101 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Hiker

In the yard pfft, our newest tent my GF and I camped out in the living room for two days lol
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stuckinVa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,280 Times in 3,782 Posts

Ditto on the back yard testing. I never use a shelter, bag, or tarp that I haven't home tested for a night. It sucks to find out about shortcomings when it's too late.

In the military, I served on mountaineering & snow mobile teams. We typically did an equipment shakeout (movement and bivouac) at the start of every winter season. Usually within sight of our unit facilities. Gave folks the opportunity to swap out or exchange failing items or concepts. We practiced all aspects of shelter erection, stove operation, water procurement, cooking, sleeping, and sanitation routine...before going out to the wilds. Occasionally did that standing on green grass during still warm and sunny fall days...

Rehearsals. They're important.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Astronomy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Aus Survival Instructors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirThrivalist View Post
Awesome! Would love to someday! Coldest place I've ever lived in was Wisconsin for a couple of years. Warmest, Arizona.
Later this year, I plan to take trips around the states to meet up with members here and have overnights, then post pics.
The only place I haven't been to or worked at is the Pacific Northwest. Other than that, I've lived at every corner of the
states and in the midwest & southwest.
How about a trip Downunder, for TSGOA's annual meet-up in April? Now THAT would be pretty special for you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enigma_1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2013, 10:55 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,156 Times in 1,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma_1 View Post
How about a trip Downunder, for TSGOA's annual meet-up in April? Now THAT would be pretty special for you.
Yes to this post and to your original post!

As I've stated at TSGOA, it's on my bucket list to head down there, get in some dirt time, swap war stories and
enjoy your beautiful homeland. And you'll have to come to Puerto Rico where I can show you some of the most
beautiful tropical rain forests you'll ever see. April would be too soon for me brother, but I won't wait for a meet
up to head out there after that. I'll just come on my own. I already started pricing tickets weeks ago so I could
begin to get my ducks in a row. I'm going to meet up with my fellow yanks first as our schedules will allow.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:58 PM
I love this forum

And for the record gents, didn't go out tonight either.
Didn't make it back home until 7 tonight. I'll get it.
I'll just surprise you with pics instead of posts when I do
Old 01-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Homesteader

I have an ex-girlfriend (still friends) who lives in a very cold area. I was trying to convince her a couple of years ago, that she was not adequately prepared for either a power outage or a bug out situation with her then current sleeping bag (she showed me it was rated for minus 30 F). I talked her into testing it on her deck and she did it at about 10 below (if my memory serves me right). She lasted an hour and a half and now has several bags she can rely on.

As advised above, don't be hesitant to try your gear in your back yard.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2013, 05:11 AM
I love this forum

It's 5:03am. I can't sleep.

We've finally got rid of these near 70 degree days and 50 degree nights and FINALLY I'm looking
at a sub-teen night! 11 degrees promised for tomorrow night! I'm an excited boy right now.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Homesteader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirThrivalist View Post
It's 5:03am. I can't sleep.

We've finally got rid of these near 70 degree days and 50 degree nights and FINALLY I'm looking
at a sub-teen night! 11 degrees promised for tomorrow night! I'm an excited boy right now.

Eleven degrees here too and windy. Light snow expected. I'm stayin' home.
The Following User Says Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2013, 04:48 PM
in the woods

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,190 Posts

Weather here calls for an increasing chance of darkness long toward evening.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dude For This Useful Post: