A bad day shooting showed a couple of things. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 07-16-2019, 02:20 AM
Pusher of brooms

Default A bad day shooting showed a couple of things.

Advertise Here

Haven't been out for a while and having made a few changes to the AR's, it seemed like a good day to get out and shoot. (Last Sunday)

Started out and couldn't get the .223 to settle down, the gun is fine, but the wind was kicking my.. Well you know.
Finally got it on paper, slight elevation change. The scope hasn't been mounted since November, think I'm just gonna leave it there.

But the .300BO, now it wanted to shoot. It was grouping both loads together. 125 and 150. This exonomy build is becoming a favorite.

I was originally a little apprehensive about the .300 having read a lot of negative things about it from people who don't seem to have ever used it in a 16" barrel.

You can keep your short barrels, I'm keeping the 16" heavy barrel. I think the deer this fall are in for a surprise.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Late2Prep For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 11:08 AM

If they are very far our you might be in for a surprise.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,433 Times in 2,910 Posts

I know Late, he can shoot, but he has this ability to sit still and deer just walk by him.
He's shot two at @15y that I've seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 03:35 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 5,204 Times in 2,408 Posts

Modern shooter issue, the game hasn't become tougher, or gravity lessened, it's a wonder how the old 44-40 or 32 Special ever killed deer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Palma For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 06:10 PM
Stolen Valor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palma View Post
Modern shooter issue, the game hasn't become tougher, or gravity lessened, it's a wonder how the old 44-40 or 32 Special ever killed deer.
Consider the skills of the hunter stalking the game animal! Modern failures are not part of the equation when conversing about folks that have long past. JMHO.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:21 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 5,204 Times in 2,408 Posts

^ think were sayin the same thing, just differently. Today everyone wants to shoot a buck at 300+ yds, what about using a shorter range weapon and making the kill at rock chuckin range?
Old 07-17-2019, 09:14 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,141 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late2Prep View Post
You can keep your short barrels, I'm keeping the 16" heavy barrel. I think the deer this fall are in for a surprise.
No interest in 330BO at all but as far as AR type rifles are concerned and 16" barrels -

My most accurate 16" barrels are chambered in actual .223 and true bull barrels, followed by the 6721 heavy barrel in 5.56, followed by everything else.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:56 AM
Pusher of brooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
No interest in 330BO at all but as far as AR type rifles are concerned and 16" barrels -

My most accurate 16" barrels are chambered in actual .223 and true bull barrels, followed by the 6721 heavy barrel in 5.56, followed by everything else.

The 16" comment was made because so many people seem to think that a short barrel Blackout can do everything that a longer barrel can.

I'm really fond of the BO round, in this barrel length, my handloads are encroaching into 7.62x39 territory, which doesn't happen with the short barrels. No it doesn't have the range of the .223, but I was looking to increase the short range punch of my AR when I got that barrel.

Initially I was unimpressed with the BO, getting to shoot an AR pistol and a SBR.
Then I watched a friend with a 16" BO rolling rocks across the range. The .223 bullets were barely moving it and just breaking up. The BO was rolling it around.
That caught my attention.