Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
38 Special Addict anmut Pistol and Revolver Forum 24 04-26-2014 07:45 AM
Meth addict accused in burglary sues 90-year-old homeowner he shot Fight4Freedom General Discussion 27 10-30-2012 02:19 PM
How are you supposed to prep when you live with a food addict? Wayfara Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 89 09-16-2012 09:23 PM
never a metal stealing meth addict when you need one... Prepping Firearms General Discussion 12 06-24-2012 04:00 AM
The Gun Addict Song billt460 General Discussion 4 11-27-2011 02:27 PM
Prep Addict ALPHARAMM Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 02-07-2011 04:10 PM
Ummm... I think I'm an addict. Nomad, 2nd Military Weapons Forum 20 12-19-2008 07:42 PM

Old 08-08-2016, 06:45 PM

Advertise Here

I got only one thing to say, keep your head up! I wish you all the luck!
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2016, 08:01 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,319 Times in 1,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflux View Post
I managed to accidentally quit smoking for my birthday. (61 years old now!)
I've often thought about doing so on my birthday(s) in the past, but a severe bout with the flu serendipitously took over. I was near comatose for a few days, and before I knew it a week had passed without a smoke.
Aches, Nyquil, fever, bedridden, and coughing so bad I nearly herniated myself. It's been 10 days now and atleast a week with no nicotine. YAY
Now comes the hard part... I'm still not 100%, but up and getting around.
The mind is saying it's OK... Just have ONE...
I never could understand the whole drug and alcohol addiction, but cigarettes have been my enemy for nearly 50 years!
I just have to go one minute at a time.
I see cigarettes EVERYWHERE!!! On movies (I don't have cable or network TV), lying in curbs if I'm in town. I find butts out here on the ground at the Ranch, they're on my shop floor where I like to work and build things. I see cigarettes EVERYWHERE!!!
I know that after this long the nicotine has to be out of my system. But the Mind is really playing games with me.
Arghhhhhhh....
Sorry rant over.
Thanks for listening.

I've been told it takes 21 days to break a habit. I guess one has to pick their poison. Do you have a habit or an addiction? Judging by your post, I'd say you are nearly there. Hang in until you've got it licked, friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2017, 03:25 PM

Your life will be changed if you make it through all of them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shyI...YfFFmmAdvwcnCT
Old 09-12-2017, 03:58 AM
Target Shooter

To the O.P. , I don't know ya man, but I am damn proud of you.

Went earlier today to a friend's little brother's wake. He died last tuesday of a heroin overdose. They're my neighbors in back, and known/been close to the family since I was 5 and the kid that passed was 2. **** tore me up to see all these kid's at the wake and how much he meant to all of them. He had been doing so ****ing good too! Had recently been heavily into poetry slams, and open mic nights.His poems were about battling/overcoming addiction, just such a kind soul and wise beyond his years.

I don't know much about this stuff. The only addiction I've dealt with was giving up weed after cheifing every day for half my life, and that was only a psychological struggle for a couple weeks. I'll never know the strength, courage, and bravery it takes to overcome the real demons and evil.

We all thought this kid was on the straight and narrow now. He had just gotten himself a brand new Nissan Versa in July and had been holding down a job as a server at a fancy restaurant. I wish he could've just held it together!

Sorry for my long rant. I just got back from the local skate park he always would shred it up at. Skating was always his thing. I left a lit candle on each one of the parks ramps. Reading your post meant a lot to me after seeing what addiction does and can cause. My hats off to you!
Old 05-05-2018, 03:20 AM

i keep my II chip on my keys, and my X chip in my pocket. i really need to get a newer chip, but i havent bothered. dont know why? that look you talk about, that little spark of recognition is something to behold and cherish. not only does it serve others by giving them hope
Old 03-05-2019, 06:39 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 24,006 Times in 4,833 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Wow looks like not very many post at least for the past few years.

I must post this mainly since I just found a great meme that tells much about addiction that is at the very end of this post.

I rarely post on FB but I just did when I found and shared a meme / post about addiction. I wrote the following except for the last part which I hope many can tell what I did and what I did not write. I lost two toes last spring and almost died but it was not from addiction, drugs, alcohol etc. but my own carelessness, fear etc and I have posted much about that here > https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...=84562&page=39

As some of you might know I have never taken drugs, except for pain killers a bit when I had my amputation surgery. I was in extreme pain in the mountains for a few days, even shivering for five days and nights But the pain in my feet was worse than I have ever had pain.

In the hospital they gave me percosec and morphine and I told them I did not want to get addicted. And I did not. I also hate alcohol since I have seen much from some relatives to acquaintances to strangers on the street.
Absolute proof of what happened to me with a couple pics that a nurse gave me. >

I hope to get back to my real life on my remote WY mtn retreat again this summer. This pic was take of me in 1999 by a green beret when we went survival skiing near the Divide.

I have seen homeless guys vomit in the gutter, to a guy at a Christmas party fall down the stairs and had a bloody face. He did not notice cause he was so drunk. How I could go on. I do try to care but it is not easy. As some more know I plan to become a hermit for many reasons. To escape suciety in my way. Many try to escape with drugs, alcohol or whatever.

I have escaped by reading a lot and watching too many movies which are a great escape to get ones mind off of things. I like the following meme - post that I just found on a fb site which I hope some will look at that "fight addiction now" site.

I don't think I have ever been addicted and I know I have never been drunk or drugged since I always wanted to be in control of my actions. Anyway all for now.

I also care too much and I am empathetic. NOT Pathetic but have maybe too much Empathy - as in feeling others pain. Many seem to not care and probably don't care about anything or anyone. They are maybe worse than the "Trash" that the hypocrites look down on!

A great meme / quote and what I must try to do more and more >>>

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 11:51 PM

I am an alcoholic and have 7 1/2 years sober, by the grace of God.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carlomom For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 07:56 AM

Ok, I'll jump in.

I smoked from age 15 to 40, quit on my 40th birthday because I didn't like the sound of having smoked for 25 years and then being a "40 year old smoker". Quit cold turkey and warned my family that I might be an a****** for a couple of weeks. Never looked back.

Have dabbled a wee bit with various drugs but was always too terrified of getting something "bad" to ever really get into any of it. I have some fun memories of right time/right people/right circumstances and prefer to think of them as lucky, fun times rather than "oh, I can't wait to do that again."

Alcohol. There's my demon. Started drinking when I was 15 (in hindsight to self-medicate due to a very, very messed up childhood). I was always a "functional alcoholic", held down a job, ok marriage, fabulous kids, long lasting friendships, ok health, etc. but about two years ago I hit alcoholic rock bottom and wound up in the ER, then psych unit for detoxing, etc. After that I was sober for 9 months. NINE MONTHS! Why I decided to drink again after that I will never know. I didn't have a "bad day" and decide that I needed a drink or anything. Just the next thing I knew, I was back to drinking - secretly and stashing stuff around the house, etc. Then a week ago, I made a very drunken confession to my spouse that I was no longer "on the wagon". So far, they've been quiet but supportive. Now I'm 6 days sober. Definitely starting to feel "clean" and generally just better.

I work overnights and struggle with being alone in the house all day long. Too easy to get myself into trouble. I really need new behavior patterns to break the cycle, I think. Maybe join a gym, take a class, etc to get out of the house and give myself something to focus on.
The Following User Says Thank You to oalo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2019, 01:29 AM

15 years here. AA works!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greatgeezer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2019, 06:27 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,219 Times in 1,035 Posts

This is for "oalo" Some of the things you need to do is let go of some of the people you used to drink with.
FInd yourself some Daytime AA meeting. When I was new I would go to a Morning and then an afternoon meeting and a night meeting if I wasn't working. Meet new people who have been clean for a while. This way you can see what they do especially other night workers! So for the first 6-9 months, I was at a meeting at least once a day if not two. Yes, it was easier as I was single but remember how bad DO YOU WANT IT.

I tell people all the time its the same with Drinking or Smoking you really got to want to not Drink anymore. Then find support with people who think as you do.

Quit Drinking on March 2, 1986. Never looked back after the first 6 months. Everyone I knew no longer wanted to hang out as I was drinking and being a fool with them.
The first few years I didn't put myself into any of those situations that I use to drink.

Today, when I have to go to dinner with Customers and other people I work with at different companies, are surprised still that I don't drink. I don't hide the fact I don't drink and have no problem if they want to have a drink.

By the way, I quit Smoking on Jan 1st, 1975. Just got tired of it and quite on Midnight as I had just left a Job as a Sous Chef and the Cig tasted like Crap. Threw that one out the window and had a full pack and threw them out and never smoked again.

If you want to have a chat PM me and I will gladly chat.
I will admit I haven't been to a meeting in quite a while but I make sure that I remind myself where I was and I wouldn't have what I have now if I was drinking. A wife of 25+ years and a 14 year Son, the two most important things in my life. Everything else is secondary! Met my Wife after I had quit she wouldn't have had anything to do with that person I was.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:33 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,019 Times in 660 Posts

I dont know a lot about AA but have heard there is a religious approach. Is that true, and if so is there an alternative?
Old 04-06-2019, 08:51 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,219 Times in 1,035 Posts

No, the Idea is a Hight Power. Whatever that is to You. Could be that Rock in the corner of the Room or God.

If you want it to be God that is OK a lot of People that were new didn't want to hear God and had a different idea of what was their Higher Power might be. I think the whole idea is to know that when we kept it on us Look where it got us. HERE at an AA meeting wanted to stop do the same stupid things over and over.

I never felt it over Religious though I did go to a few meetings back then that seem to a theme and you can choose not to go to that meeting. Remember sometimes it is hard to find the right group that fits you. That is why you go to different ones to hear the same but Different Message from different people. The Main thing You DON"T want to drink anymore and are looking for support to continue that way of Life.
When I first started as I knew was, "I wanted a New Lease On Life" and AA was providing a way to find it. Wanting to start out with a Better Look on Life and Live it!

Am I perfect today not by a long shot but I know I never have to wonder how I got home or what I might have said or done the night before. I can't tell you how many times I had that nightmare.

Yes, I found that "New Lease on Life" and have never regretted it for a second. I have a wonderful Family and Have the same Job I had when I was drinking. As I was good at what I did. Life isn't perfect I still have Life Problems but I can deal with them in a Sane Manner!
Old 04-17-2019, 07:06 AM

I agree with the commentators above who wrote that the best way to get rid of dependence is to change the way of life. Any dependence has 2 parts - physical and psychological. Dependencies such as drugs or alcohol cigarettes remarkably demonstrate this to us. Now I will try to explain how it works.
When a person is given a painkiller during a surgery or rehabilitation in a hospital, he receives the purest drug directly into his body. A person may be exposed to it for a long time. But when he recovers, he does not feel the urge to take drugs. Drug addicts buy illicitly less quality drugs that do not give a not so strong effect for the body as hospital drugs. But after their dose they then want more. This is how human psychology works. Your girlfriend herself, without knowing it, thinks that she is a bad person, and dependence is her lot (for this reason, dependent people often get rid of help themselves). Let her know that she is not guilty, because guilt is one of the heaviest human goods. Let them treat their addiction just as something neutral, something that needs to be released. If she recovers, she will never want to come back to it again.
The second aspect of dependence is physical. While a person changes his thinking and attitude to the problem, he needs to take part in his body. All that a person takes - alcohol, nicotine, or drugs (drugs are a more difficult question, because they do not all remain in the body) - can accumulate in the human body, and it can no longer function normally without the substance in the blood. For this, you need to maximally clean your body, speed up the metabolic processes, and resume the production of certain hormones. One of the best options is diet and sport. The diet should be aimed not at what would limit the person in the diet, but at what would quickly cleanse the body. Regarding the sport - start the exercise is simple. You can take something from athletics - running, jumping, a little gymnastics. After that, I would advise you to increase the workload so that the body would succumb to stress. Then the emotions will return again and this will speed up the recovery of the body.
Addiction is always a hard problem. My uncle suffered from alcoholism for a very long time and only last summer he was able to fully rehabilitate and recover. I am very proud of him and wish all people who suffer from addiction to find themselves again.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:59 PM

I feel stupid making this post because my addiction seems to trivial compared to what many of you people are talking about. But I hope that my speaking up about it might give other people a push, so they will speak up about it as well.

I am addicted to food. Food is my drug. The way some people crave drugs or beer, my brain craves food. I'll overeat when I'm depressed, then when I see how much I've eaten, I get depressed again, and then I'll eat more. One thing that really irritates me is when someone says "Just stop eating so much." It is, and isn't that simple when your brain fixates on what it wants to make it happy.

I used to weigh 500 pounds. I am down to 350 now and it was hell getting to 350. It doesn't get easier. Every day is a struggle to win the battle between what my brain wants and what my body truly needs. Even at 350 I am afraid to go out in public because I know people are laughing behind my back at how fat I am, or look at me in disgust. That makes me want to binge eat again.

The only advice I can give anyone is this: Until you fix your brain, you will never fix your body. Treat the issues that make you WANT to eat first. When you accomplish that, losing weight will be easier. My problem is that after several years, I still have not fixed my brain. Food makes me happy. Nothing else makes me as happy as food does. I have tried antidepressants, hobbies, anything to fix my brain. Nothing works as of yet. Any suggestions? I really really want to get to a healthy weight because 1) I want to be fully functional for SHTF, and 2) I'm just tired of hating myself.

Lastly, I will tell you this with 100% sincerity: I wish to God I was a heroin addict instead of a food addict. At least heroin addicts are skinny.
The Following User Says Thank You to Agent Jay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 02:21 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,379 Times in 4,317 Posts

The worst part of food addiction is that you can't actually quit. Its like being an alcoholic that still has to drink two beers a day for the rest of his live but never MORE than two beers.

You just accept that its your cross to bear. Some people have great strong healthy skinny bodies and blow their brains out at 19 over things that we think are no big deal.

For SHTF don't worry....design your life so survival is not a matter of running and jumping about and look forward to the only weigh loss program that is guaranteed to work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 10:59 PM

I first want to congratulate everyone in here for facing the challenges of life with a clear head. I was a smoker from about 17 until about 27, reading Alan Carr's easy way helped immensely with overcoming the compulsive part. I highly recommend reading that book to anyone with a desire to stop smoking. It will subtly change the way you perceive smoking and you will find your mind working against the cravings on a subconscious level. Hard to quantify, read it and you'll understand what I'm talking about. That book, some will, and more than a bit of help from up above and I was able to stop smoking while deployed where the smokes were the cheapest and most plentiful I had ever seen.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:46 PM

Congratulations on your recovery.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk