Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you backpack, hike, with a "normal" backpack? Determined Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 29 06-29-2016 07:24 PM
Hoodie Backpack & Backpack Bicycle McGuyversurvivor Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 5 02-14-2014 11:53 PM
Best bug out BACKPACK? Flak188 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 37 08-21-2013 04:59 PM
what is your bug out backpack? ballzack Reviews and questions 31 06-29-2013 01:17 PM
Backpack for bow. Tackleberry41 Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 13 06-06-2013 10:09 PM
Dog Backpack njmomto3 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 14 05-07-2012 02:51 PM
my backpack Domindart Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 22 05-15-2009 07:11 PM
Big Man BackPack DrewHop Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 6 01-07-2009 10:36 PM
5.11 Backpack Emerson Reviews and questions 5 12-17-2008 06:05 PM
Backpack BadJuju Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 22 11-30-2008 12:05 AM

Old 06-29-2010, 08:27 PM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melsrogue View Post
this .....

go to a local small park wih a few trails for a start
We don't have a local park with real trails-only paved paths.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,938 Times in 1,526 Posts

as long as you knw the areas your going start slow and keep it simple
personally though id wait till any chld is old enough to understand the damgers of it and know what to do in an emergency
Old 06-29-2010, 08:37 PM

I haven't actually gone with somebody from Craigs list yet, but when/if I do I will be safe about it. I'm not naive.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:38 PM

Thanks to everyone who recommended groups for me to check out. I will.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:41 PM

Default She knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averageguy209 View Post
as long as you knw the areas your going start slow and keep it simple
personally though id wait till any chld is old enough to understand the damgers of it and know what to do in an emergency
She does understand exactly what she is to do in case we see a mountain lion or a bear. I have quizzed her on it, and she knows it's important. She's always within my arms reach while we're walking and never more than 10 ft away, just in case.

She knows falls can be dangers, but I don't let her get into situations where she could fall far.

The only thing she doesn't know is what to do if I break my leg or something like that. She doesn't know first aid or how to hike back alone for help.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,938 Times in 1,526 Posts

Im sure you are safe with it was just stating my veiw Like my 10 yr old no way i would take her any where that there was danger if she doesnt pay attention shes like add on meth lol
where as i think my 8 yr old could grasp it better
Old 06-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,078 Posts

Well.. if your willing the bring the gear and the kid as 1 big package to carry.. then you can go anywere.. my mother carried my brother backpacking when he was 2... now that was 2 people and 1 of them carried him part way.. Id be careful on cragistlist.. dont know what weirdo you might meet.. you can always go car camping its allot easyer.. and just do day hikes that way less gear..

I went backpack camping at 12 months..
Old 06-30-2010, 12:31 AM

I would not take a child that old backpacking. Day hikes yes, backpacking no. It's just not the right environment for a child raised in a semi-urban/urban environment.

Then again:

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...7fb12c&k=47973
Old 06-30-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessMama View Post
At what age do you think it is safe enough for a single parent to take their child backpacking with them?

I have a three year old daughter, and we really love backpacking, but, living in the Central Valley, I've found it difficult to find anyone who's willing to join us for a serious backpacking trip. At some point, I hope that it will be safe for me and her to just go, but for now I'm stuck doing overnighters with people from craigslist (not that I don't appreciate them).

So when can the two of us just go alone?
Hey mam, me and my pals are experienced hikers, and we love doing what we do. Its summer time though, so a bunch of us folks are in summer school at uni.

I'll drop you a PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessien View Post
I would not take a child that old backpacking. Day hikes yes, backpacking no. It's just not the right environment for a child raised in a semi-urban/urban environment.
I may be taking this wrong, but I really don't see why everybody thinks it's ok to hike, and it's ok to camp, but it's crazy dangerous to combine the two and go backpacking.

Boredom is going to be the biggest issue, not danger. 3 year olds in America nowadays don't know how to just go and chill and enjoy nature like adults can. I've bypassed potential trips I dreamed up before due to knowing my young kids would be bored out of their minds after awhile, but I couldn't carry much in terms of entertainment.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Wanderer

Thanked 2,760 Times in 1,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessMama View Post
At what age do you think it is safe enough for a single parent to take their child backpacking with them?

I have a three year old daughter, and we really love backpacking, but, living in the Central Valley, I've found it difficult to find anyone who's willing to join us for a serious backpacking trip. At some point, I hope that it will be safe for me and her to just go, but for now I'm stuck doing overnighters with people from craigslist (not that I don't appreciate them).

So when can the two of us just go alone?
Depends on what you mean by a "serious backpacking trip" and "safe". If you're already taking her backpacking, it seems to be safe. She's now old enough to carry a small pack with a light lunch and water bottle in it, maybe a raincoat. You can take her on a backpack trip to a local lake, stream or other area that will be interesting to her and you but will not inovlve covering a lot of distance. Plan on a slow hike, with many stops to look at things and to rest, and plan for a very short hike. An overnight will be plenty for her, and the return trip will be fun, too, but even slower. Kids tire quickly.
After doing these trips a few times a year, whenever she wants to go, not just when you want to go, for a few years, the trips can cover longer distances and after some years can go for more than just an overnight. She'l let you know when she's ready. Main thing is to make it fun for her, so she'll want to do it again.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndogggy View Post
I may be taking this wrong, but I really don't see why everybody thinks it's ok to hike, and it's ok to camp, but it's crazy dangerous to combine the two and go backpacking.

Boredom is going to be the biggest issue, not danger. 3 year olds in America nowadays don't know how to just go and chill and enjoy nature like adults can. I've bypassed potential trips I dreamed up before due to knowing my young kids would be bored out of their minds after awhile, but I couldn't carry much in terms of entertainment.
I think it's fine to go on short hikes, and fine to go camping where help is easily accessible in the case of an emergency. Backpacking, at least in my area is done well out in the woods, if something happens to either the child or the mother help could be more than 8 hours away.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Backpacking, at least in my area is done well out in the woods, if something happens to either the child or the mother help could be more than 8 hours away.
That's my point. You don't have to go that far out. Traditionally that's what people think about, but there is no cosmic law of nature that prevents you from backpacking however deep into the woods that you want, most places don't force you to go that far, people just feel the need to do so because, well, what else are you going to do? I've gone backpacking 100 yards from a gravel road and 200 yards from a house before.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndogggy View Post
That's my point. You don't have to go that far out. Traditionally that's what people think about, but there is no cosmic law of nature that prevents you from backpacking however deep into the woods that you want, most places don't force you to go that far, people just feel the need to do so because, well, what else are you going to do? I've gone backpacking 100 yards from a gravel road and 200 yards from a house before.
I can understand that, and yes, there is nothing wrong with that. In my mind however, thats just not backpacking. If I can walk to civilization within 2 hours of wherever I camp then I wouldn't consider it a backpacking trip.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Survivor

Quote:
I can understand that, and yes, there is nothing wrong with that. In my mind however, thats just not backpacking. If I can walk to civilization within 2 hours of wherever I camp then I wouldn't consider it a backpacking trip.
And I'm the same way with mountain bikes, used to wouldn't even bother unless it was a several hour long trip over all sorts of nasty rocks and other obstacles. But, that don't mean I can't take my kid mountain biking on an easy 2 mile loop trail, or even riding on easy dirt roads on my property.

There's different levels of every sport. When dealing with kids, you shouldn't default to a hardcore level and skip it if that won't fly.

I mean, with your logic, you wouldn't be able to take your kid rafting or canoeing until they're old enough to handle class V rapids. You couldn't take them skiing until they could handle a black diamond trail. How would they ever get the skills to handle such things if you don't start out with easy stuff?

That's a bad outlook. Compromise and think about the experience from the child's wonderous point of view, not your own jaded one. When you participate in something like this with a small child, you should not be doing it for yourself, that's selfish.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:40 AM

Default Expensive but Just What I'm Looking For

I found this website that says you can get a backpacking trip in Yosemite for $100/adult + $65/child age 4-7. Maybe if I do it, I'll meet someone who will want to join me on future trips. Then I'll never have to spend that much money on backpacking again.

http://stason.org/TULARC/child-paren...-YOSEMITE.html

Edit: It's for older kids now because the leader's son is older, but maybe I could start a new one. I'm going to look into this.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:45 PM

I was just talking about this with my wife yesterday. I would like to go backpacking with my 6 yr old boy but if something happened to me he would likely die. I am thinking once he is 12 or so he and I could go out just the two of us. I am from Fresno, so you are in a great spot to be able to go to a large variety of places to hike!
Old 07-06-2010, 01:43 PM

Agree with the below 110%. You never go on any major hike or to an area that is not accessible to civilization with someone who could not survive without you!! My 14 year old is finally possesses the training that I could drop over with a heart attack and could hump his way out to save himself and summon the coroner! Be real careful about doing what you want to with a child that lacks survival skills. This is where the Girl and Boy Scouts training comes to mind for youngsters, yet that may not be enough for a four dayer on the Appalachian trail, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still here. View Post
Age does not matter. You only take another person when they have the experience to survive on their own without you. You have to think ahead and prepare for when you get injured or killed while out there. If whoever you are with does not have the ability to help themselves upon your injury or death, they will be dead before too long themselves.

I know what you are thinking. How can they learn unless they are out there with you? Good point, But try in little incremental steps plus lots of learning before hand. Monitor their progress and ability to withstand the elements and their ability to make the right choices to survive. Remember, everything you will be teaching them will be heard by them for the first time. It will be new and interesting, They will see you talking and paying attention to only them and they will love it. They will look up to you and see you as the one with all the answers. Make it fun and interesting, They will start sponging it up in no time....After that, its all memories and fun! they will remember it for the rest of their lives and teach their children...your grandchildren the same things.