South Carolina county investigators trying to build case against swimmer - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Controversial News and Alternative Politics The conspiracy theory section

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello from South Carolina! JoeyK New Member Introduction 19 02-18-2015 05:21 AM
South Carolina tri-county area people only (Charleston, West Ashley, Summerville, etc grant9908 Events, Connections and Get togethers 4 02-13-2014 04:04 AM
North Carolina deputy involved in road rage incident in South Carolina FindMyStapler General Discussion 26 03-22-2013 08:42 AM
Hi from South Carolina Kevin S. Collins New Member Introduction 18 11-06-2012 05:36 PM
Hello from South Carolina Jalex New Member Introduction 19 06-08-2012 07:16 AM
polk county north carolina survivalist93 New Member Introduction 8 10-05-2011 10:56 PM
hello from ashe county north carolina thevaltdweller New Member Introduction 19 01-08-2010 10:19 AM
Hey from South Carolina LoofaofDoom New Member Introduction 16 05-25-2009 02:51 PM
North Carolina health officials have confirmed a case of swine flu in Onslow County. madcritter Manmade and Natural Disasters 0 05-04-2009 10:06 AM
Hello from South Carolina Sportcat New Member Introduction 6 09-12-2008 07:08 PM

Old 02-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,426 Times in 625 Posts
Default South Carolina county investigators trying to build case against swimmer

Advertise Here

Quote:
Lawyers: Is sheriff too aggressive vs. Phelps?
South Carolina county investigators trying to build case against swimmer

updated 6:18 p.m. ET, Thurs., Feb. 12, 2009

COLUMBIA, S.C. - Even if a South Carolina sheriff is successful in building a marijuana case against swimming superstar Michael Phelps, it might be hard to make the charges stick, defense attorneys say.

The case took a turn Thursday when lawyers for two people said their clients were among eight arrested last week and questioned at length about the November party near the University of South Carolina where Phelps was photographed smoking from a marijuana pipe. At the time, the men were renters at the house.

The effort to prosecute Phelps on what would be at most a minor drug charge seem extreme compared to similar cases, lawyers said, and have led some to question whether the sheriff is being overzealous because he’s dealing with a celebrity.

“The efforts that are being made here are unlike anything I’ve ever seen before,” said Jack Swerling, a defense attorney in South Carolina. “I know Leon Lott, I know him to be an honorable guy. I’ve known him for 30 something years. But the efforts here are extraordinary on simple possession cases.”

After the photo was Phelps was published Feb. 1, Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said his office would investigate and possibly charge Phelps, though officials have not specified what the offense might be. Since then, authorities have released little information, and the sheriff’s department refused to talk again Thursday.

Slideshow
Phelps’ smoking hot headlines
A Daryl Cagle editorial cartoon roundup lights up the Olympian’s bong controversy.

more photos

Lott has made fighting drug crimes a central plank of his career. He rose from patrol officer to captain of the narcotics division in the early 1990s and was well-known in the county for wearing stylish suits like the drug agents on “Miami Vice” and driving a Porsche seized from a drug dealer. He was elected sheriff in 1996.

Lawyers for the two men say they were questioned almost exclusively about Phelps and charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession.

Authorities haven’t contacted the swimmer, who issued an apology for his behavior earlier this month, one of his agents said.

“Michael has not been contacted and we are not going to speculate,” said agent Drew Johnson.

Defense attorney **** Harpootlian and fellow defense attorney Joseph MuCulloch said deputies searched at least two houses. The men told their lawyers the raids went down like a major drug bust, and 12 deputies burst into the home with guns drawn, pulling small amounts of marijuana from those arrested. Several computers and storage devices were also seized, Harpootlian said.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29125081
I think potheads are morons and I am very anti drug. HOWEVER I am not as naive to think the current laws on pot are reasonable in the least. How much payroll is this dipsh!t Sheriff wasting on this case? What a monumental waste of fu<king time.

The dumbsh!t Phelps got his spanking from sheer embarrassment alone, which will drag out in the media for at least 2 years. Criminal charges? come on now, get real....

...rant over...
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 11:35 PM
time to go now?

Thanked 1,619 Times in 606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif the Lucky View Post
I think potheads are morons and I am very anti drug. HOWEVER I am not as naive to think the current laws on pot are reasonable in the least. How much payroll is this dipsh!t Sheriff wasting on this case? What a monumental waste of fu<king time.

The dumbsh!t Phelps got his spanking from sheer embarrassment alone, which will drag out in the media for at least 2 years. Criminal charges? come on now, get real....

...rant over...

Moron or not, he deserves the freedom to smoke a plant! What is destroying Mike Phelp's career? The Prohibition laws. This swimmer has more going for him, is more responsible and is more disciplined than I could ever hope to be!!

The most dangerous people around are the politicians and law enforcment that think it their god given duty to make their careers on the backs of citizens...detroying their lives, creating a criminal blackmarket where none existed before, and inflicting their twisted view of reality on ALL OF US!

These are leeches...nothing more...they are not human. May their memory and legacy be wiped off the face of the earth. May God do so to all tyrants!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dave1975 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1975 View Post
Moron or not, he deserves the freedom to smoke a plant! What is destroying Mike Phelp's career? The Prohibition laws. This swimmer has more going for him, is more responsible and is more disciplined than I could ever hope to be!!

The most dangerous people around are the politicians and law enforcment that think it their god given duty to make their careers on the backs of citizens...detroying their lives, creating a criminal blackmarket where none existed before, and inflicting their twisted view of reality on ALL OF US!

These are leeches...nothing more...they are not human. May their memory and legacy be wiped off the face of the earth. May God do so to all tyrants!
Dang! Maybe a little more brutal than I would have put it; but, I do agree with the principle of your argument. Smoking pot may or may not be a mistake but it is a choice that EACH individual should be able to make. IMO those "vice laws" that protect people from themselves are some of the major contributors to Individual Moral Irresponsibility in this world, Along with the current compulsory schooling system that trains children to be emotionally and intellectually dependent on other people/substances.

He may have been harsh in calling LEO's leeches; but, I truly believe that most of the people that I dubiously term "teachers" are some of the most horrific monsters ever imagined in the darkest parts of the human collective consciousness. They prey on our young and destroy their individuality, self-sufficiency, morality, independence, and creativity in order to maintain the current social, economic, and political order of this world.

Alas, I digress. Sorry if TL;DR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2009, 12:08 AM
time to go now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfalls View Post
Dang! Maybe a little more brutal than I would have put it; but, I do agree with the principle of your argument. Smoking pot may or may not be a mistake but it is a choice that EACH individual should be able to make. IMO those "vice laws" that protect people from themselves are some of the major contributors to Individual Moral Irresponsibility in this world, Along with the current compulsory schooling system that trains children to be emotionally and intellectually dependent on other people/substances.

He may have been harsh in calling LEO's leeches; but, I truly believe that most of the people that I dubiously term "teachers" are some of the most horrific monsters ever imagined in the darkest parts of the human collective consciousness. They prey on our young and destroy their individuality, self-sufficiency, morality, independence, and creativity in order to maintain the current social, economic, and political order of this world.

Alas, I digress. Sorry if TL;DR.
Not All LEO's, but those that prey...I may be pretty emotional about this...i just got my pardon after 10 years of trying. I was arrested for possession of 1/3 of a gram of pot. Even though I am clean, it has affected my life...every job interview, I cannot go to the States, every time I'm pulled over...all because some cop decided to go hard on a young pothead.

I feel bad Mike Phelps...i am not only angry at LEO's but against politicians and the sheeple that feel the need to punish lifestyles that they do not agree with.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Target Shooter

I am anti drug as well, and live in South Carolina. This is crazy. How many UTUBE vids have people smoking pot and then some. Will they go after those guys? I doubt it. I hate drugs.. my ex was a super user and spent all the money on pot. That resulted in divorce.. but as far as going after someone from a picture.. that is questionable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vippy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Not All LEO's, but those that prey...I may be pretty emotional about this...i just got my pardon after 10 years of trying. I was arrested for possession of 1/3 of a gram of pot. Even though I am clean, it has affected my life...every job interview, I cannot go to the States, every time I'm pulled over...all because some cop decided to go hard on a young pothead.

I feel bad Mike Phelps...i am not only angry at LEO's but against politicians and the sheeple that feel the need to punish lifestyles that they do not agree with.
I have no serious problem with most LEO's. I was talking about compulsory school factory line workers that people refer to as "teachers." Maybe I am getting too riled up about this, being as how I am recently out of the factory myself. I know that some "teachers" don't realize what they are doing because they themselves are mold-injected as well. However, just to make certain that we get all of them, we should behead them all and stake them down into their own coffins. Sorry to the decent ones.

One thousand apologies for the temporary hijacking of your thread. I needed to get that off of my chest.
The Following User Says Thank You to skyfalls For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2009, 08:12 AM
Hunter

Look for information on the arrest of Tommy Chong if you want to see a waste of tax payers money. They reportedly spent millions to bring the seller of paraphernalia to justice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bizarro For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Frozen Patriot

Pot...shmot...who cares, this is the least of our problems at present....

DS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farnorthdan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Doomsayer

Thanked 5,844 Times in 2,020 Posts

Meanwhile, the Sheriff and the county prosecutor meet at the local bar to hoist a few.

Hypocrites.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kregener For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2009, 03:22 PM
SquiddusMaximus (Retired)

Thanked 3,272 Times in 1,434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kregener View Post
Meanwhile, the Sheriff and the county prosecutor meet at the local bar to hoist a few.

Hypocrites.
and drive a Porshe.....
The Following User Says Thank You to anchorbanger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2009, 03:23 PM
BowHunter

Thanked 1,968 Times in 862 Posts

I think there are probably motives of repayment of investigative costs,forfeiture of assets,and fines upon conviction,for motive if you want. How much has Phelps pulled in in endorsements? Pretty rich pickin's there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sweeper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,212 Times in 2,861 Posts

He was caught on film smoking an illegal drug and has been spanked as Leif has said, This is BS when I know they can go after real smugglers, sellers not a bunch of young guys having a party.
Cite them for less than a ounce (If there is any real proof) and let them pay the ticket and move on to the real bad guys. This is a waste of tax payers money.

This is the part that people should get pi$$ed at, Taking them down like they were the drug cartel is just wrong. This Top Cop needs to be taken down afew notches.

The men told their lawyers the raids went down like a major drug bust, and 12 deputies burst into the home with guns drawn, pulling small amounts of marijuana from those arrested. Several computers and storage devices were also seized, Harpootlian said.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kalifornia Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,127 Posts

Phelps did a dumb thing, but if I were on the jury I'd say: "Show me the marijuana that he was smoking in that bong."

Since the only evidence the cops have is a photo and testimony from doped-up people I'd say there is no case. I suspect the Sheriff is just grandstanding for his constituency.

Donate to help this forum.
www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php

New Solar Powered Backup Generator Provides Instant Electrical Power In Any Outage Or Disaster.
http://images.ultracart.com/aff/E1DE...800/index.html
Old 02-13-2009, 11:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,127 Posts

Quote:

So do you feel a disconnect between the money that you spent on pot, etc. and the drug cartel violence in Mexico and elsewhere?

Donate to help this forum.
www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php

New Solar Powered Backup Generator Provides Instant Electrical Power In Any Outage Or Disaster.
http://images.ultracart.com/aff/E1DE...800/index.html
Old 02-14-2009, 12:54 AM
time to go now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***** View Post
So do you feel a disconnect between the money that you spent on pot, etc. and the drug cartel violence in Mexico and elsewhere?
The cartels? nope...just the Hell's Angels in Vancouver....

I was mostly supplying my money to the people of Vancouver that have grow ops. I would have been just as happy to give my money to some mom and pop operation that grew a few plants in the back yard...but because of prohibition, the mom and pops are underground and I was forced to go buy from creepy people that got the dope from grow ops.

While at the creepy people's houses, I was introduced to LSD, coke, meth, PCP, DMT, Mescelin....all because of prohibition. The Black Market is a hell of a thing...Prohibition did not stop me from trying to buy dope, it just insured that I would get introduced to all sorts of wicked vices.

Funny, before about 1932, I could have bought my coke from the soda fountain, and my heroin from the drug store...The pot, I could have got growing along the side of the road...all while dodging the bullets from the Hell's Angels and the Mexican Cartells...wait...they did not exsist...these nefarious groups rose as a result of prohibition...Just like Al Capone with alcohol! Prohibition is a hell of a thing.

Also, God does not prohibit the use of marijuana, so why do we as a society? Prohibition is wicked and vile and antichrist!

If a man will not be governed by 10 Laws....he'll not be governed by 10 000!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to dave1975 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 12:57 AM
trois pour cent

Thanked 5,645 Times in 2,305 Posts

What a waste of taxpayer money.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maurepas For This Useful Post: