Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 01-26-2020, 01:53 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 6,744 Times in 1,763 Posts
Default ANYONE ELSE seeing reports there are riots in Wuhan?

Advertise Here

I HAVE seen a couple of blog posts and twitters about the cops and folks battling, evidently they do not like being in governmental ordered lockdown in a situation where they cannot flee nor control their own destiny about the virus.

Anyone else seen or heard such?

IF that gets out of hand then the quarantine may not be worth much as folks are really mixing together now.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2020, 01:57 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 6,744 Times in 1,763 Posts

INTERESTING WUHAN is ground zero for the plague...

considering this earlier event...

coincidence?????

https://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-...704-story.html

Quote:
First Hong Kong protested. Now it’s Wuhan, China. What makes it Beijing’s latest headache?

By ROBYN DIXON
JULY 5, 2019 3 AM
Reporting from Beijing —

Wuhan’s protests unfolded as unrelated demonstrations in Hong Kong shook Beijing authorities and images of Hong Kong riot police pepper-spraying young protesters gripped the world.

News of the protest in Wuhan in Hubei province trickled out on Chinese social media, but was largely censored once the story gained some traction as local authorities failed to gain immediate control of the march.
(more at the link)

Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 01-27-2020 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: shortened quoted material to avoid copyright violation
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2020, 02:10 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 24,702 Times in 4,988 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
I HAVE seen a couple of blog posts and twitters about the cops and folks battling, evidently they do not like being in governmental ordered lockdown in a situation where they cannot flee nor control their own destiny about the virus.

IF that gets out of hand then the quarantine may not be worth much as folks are really mixing together now.
Guess I should watch the tv news and I just did as I do look a couple times a day but of course looks like nothing but something about Trump, Trump, Trump. This comes to mind but maybe not >>

" To 'wag the dog' means to purposely divert attention from what would otherwise be of greater importance, to something else of lesser significance.
By doing so, the lesser-significant event is catapulted into the limelight, drowning proper attention to what was originally the more important issue."

I found that definition from usingenglish.com/reference/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2020, 09:57 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 29,375 Times in 8,683 Posts

Quote:

I've read a report that as many as 5 million people may have left Wuhan.

Given the spread to other cities, and the fact that the virus is contagious even from people who are asymptomatic, a quarantine wouldn't seem to be worth much at this point.

There actually is an official survival guide, but you have to write it yourself - and edit it as the situation changes - and revise it as you learn from your mistakes - and start all over again when things change again. (AceScanner)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 12:41 AM
Prepared

I think I saw the article on Daily Mail, but it sounds like the Chinese people are speaking in code on social media referring to the Coronavirus as Chernobyl and Xi as Trump to get around the censors.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PromptCritical For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 02:58 AM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,084 Posts

There may be a few scuffles right now (but it's only the first week!), but from what I'm seeing in some of the videos uploaded from Wuhan to my Twitter feed is a frightened population, and some are very angry that the government tried to keep it under wraps for so long. Most of them didn't believe how serious it is until Wuhan went into lockdown.

Then the government gave them a (too-generous) heads-up that they were going to lock it down, so a lot of folks left then, but even more stayed.

For the most part the people of Wuhan are cooperating because they are very, very concerned about this virus.

(I'm reposting my post from another thread)

This is what the Wuhan Quarantine sounds like: hundreds of voices in the night shouting words of encouragement to each other.

(I pulled this short clip from my Twitter feed to show you...it is awesome):
https://twitter.com/iamramizxrami/st...51660814901248

Here is a different video, on Youtube:

They are shouting in unison from their windows, ("jia you" 加油) meaning "come on Wuhan!" or "Wuhan you can do it!" to encourage each other that they will survive. (The streets are mostly deserted, and it looks like a ghost town. Almost everyone is self-quarantining (with the government's persuasion, I'm sure).

This is Week One. It will be interesting to see how things develop in the weeks to come. Wuhan is a huge city of 11 million people, which is larger than the biggest city in America. (New York has a little over 8 million people.)

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams

Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 01-28-2020 at 04:03 AM..
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 07:45 PM

I have seen very short video clips showing unrest and the people in the video are very clearly Chinese but there's nothing to prove exactly when these videos are taken.

I don't imagine the people of Wuhan like being told to shelter-in-place and die. Couple that with the exponential infection rate and I imagine Xinnie the Pooh is going to like what comes next.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ragin Cajun For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 09:00 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,084 Times in 346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
There may be a few scuffles right now (but it's only the first week!), but from what I'm seeing in some of the videos uploaded from Wuhan to my Twitter feed is a frightened population, and some are very angry that the government tried to keep it under wraps for so long. Most of them didn't believe how serious it is until Wuhan went into lockdown.

Then the government gave them a (too-generous) heads-up that they were going to lock it down, so a lot of folks left then, but even more stayed.

For the most part the people of Wuhan are cooperating because they are very, very concerned about this virus.

This is what the Wuhan Quarantine sounds like: hundreds of voices in the night shouting words of encouragement to each other.

They are shouting in unison from their windows, ("jia you" 加油) meaning "come on Wuhan!" or "Wuhan you can do it!" to encourage each other that they will survive. (The streets are mostly deserted, and it looks like a ghost town. Almost everyone is self-quarantining (with the government's persuasion, I'm sure).

People in Wuhan cheering themselves amidst coronavirus - YouTube

This is Week One. It will be interesting to see how things develop in the weeks to come. Wuhan is a huge city of 11 million people, which is larger than the biggest city in America. (New York has a little over 8 million people.)
Haha, can you imagine NYC under similar lock down conditions:
"Go New York, go New York, go New York"
"Hey shut the **** up, we're trying to sleep."
"No you shut the **** up."
"I'm gonna come down there and beat the **** out of you!"
"Ya? Come on you **** dago."
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Prepper_Ed For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 10:13 PM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
I have seen very short video clips showing unrest and the people in the video are very clearly Chinese but there's nothing to prove exactly when these videos are taken.

I don't imagine the people of Wuhan like being told to shelter-in-place and die. Couple that with the exponential infection rate and I imagine Xinnie the Pooh is going to like what comes next.
Yes, and it will worsen each day...

For now, I am seeing videos of unrest being quickly stomped out by the military. I have also seen videos of more than a few people being arrested for not wearing masks, filming videos, or even talking against the government. Some are being outed by their own family, friends, and enemies.

From what I am seeing in my Twitter feed in the videos that are being uploaded from Wuhan, the people are afraid of being "disappeared into the incinerators." They know that even on a good day in the recent past, too many of the arrested are never seen again.

Remember, China is the most militarized country in the world. (North Korea too.)

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 10:26 PM

Anyone giving odds that this wasn't entirely spontaneous?

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/pr/h...separate-china

China's only biological "research" facility is in *drum roll* Wuhan.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ragin Cajun For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 10:53 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,084 Times in 346 Posts

Quote:

I've seen short videos of countryside Chinese beating up people from Wuhan and one that shows police tearing down barricades erected in Fujin province. I have no idea how to evaluate the authenticity of these vids.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prepper_Ed For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 11:03 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,924 Times in 522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
I don't imagine the people of Wuhan like being told to shelter-in-place and die.
OTOH - when the roads out are this definitively blocked and you have elderly and children in your family... your options are close to zero.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EPWSxAbX4AI1rOj.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	296808  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Madoc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 11:39 PM
Cat and parrot whisperer

Thanked 2,020 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post

People in Wuhan cheering themselves amidst coronavirus - YouTube

I don't know...that's exactly the kind of propaganda the Chinese government just eats up and likes to spread. Not saying it's not possible...just not real likely. Most likely, people are hunkered down and trying to limit their exposure to the outside at all, not shouting from open windows that could let in the virus!
Old 01-29-2020, 11:04 AM
Threepin'

Thanked 6,938 Times in 2,210 Posts
Default ANYONE ELSE seeing reports there are riots in Wuhan?

Nothing really on “riots,” just some panic. Saw a video on liveleak of a woman walking throughout town showing how no one was out and about, no public transport running, etc.

There is this, though. Locals blocking roads and guarding with weapons to protect their villages.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eing-land.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to querulous For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 11:08 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 2,237 Times in 427 Posts

I've seen several videos on Twitter that claim to show authorities boarding up apartment doors and sometimes whole buildings with ill people inside. I don't speak Chinese, so I can't tell if they are in Wuhan or what the context is, but it looks horrible.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissFilthyPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 08:19 PM
Trapper

I have lived in China for almost 20 years as an English teacher. 1. THEY WILL NOT LET THINGS GET OUT IF HAND. The government and the people realize there is much at stake. The people are afraid for their lives. To give you some idea, many Chinese people use the word plague when they speak English, not flu or pneumonia. As far as boarding up doors is concerned, most apartment complexes and many buildings are boarding up all but one gate or door so that everyone has to go in or out by only one way. Public buildings will put chains on all but one set of crash doors. This gate has a couple of security guards stationed to check people's temperatures and to make sure they have a legitimate reason to be in that neighborhood. Some areas also will not allow you in unless you are wearing a mask. I am not saying everything is right, but the press LOVES to blow things out of proportion just for the sake of ratings, $$$$ and a chance for a Pulitzer.. but we already know that, dont we?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pengyou For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 03:56 PM
Sua Sponte

Thanked 2,582 Times in 635 Posts

You can have a look, it is a drone view of Wuhan. Not seeing a lot of riots going on.

YMMV,
Chad
The Following User Says Thank You to GoblintheCat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 07:20 PM

Scary u can’t stay, u can’t go.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolf5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 07:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,946 Times in 1,179 Posts

It would be interesting to know if and how they are supplying food into Wuhan. Or not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 07:31 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,924 Times in 522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose3 View Post
I've read a report that as many as 5 million people may have left Wuhan.

Given the spread to other cities, and the fact that the virus is contagious even from people who are asymptomatic, a quarantine wouldn't seem to be worth much at this point.
It appears relatively likely given numerous consistent estimates that 5 million people out of the 11 million, left during the beginning of Chinese New Year and before the lockdown. Which makes of course, happily for them, the remaining 6 million easier to feed.

Given also the fact that asymptomatic transmission is established, but that it's probably - still to be determined - only taking place in a relatively low percentage, some / partial quarantine is still better than no quarantine.

In my view a quarantine is like wearing a mask, on a macro scale. Individually, its protection may not save you or me; collectively, it will restrict spread by making people more aware of their surroundings, the people surrounding them, and less inclined to wander about for no really good purpose.

Disclaimer: not a microbiologist, not a biologist, not a virologist. Am tending to extrapolate from my direct clinical and transport experience with SARS and Ebola in Asia and Africa respectively... The results of such extrapolation are worth I got paid for them = $0.00
The Following User Says Thank You to Madoc For This Useful Post: