Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snake Bite rdouglasc Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 95 12-17-2017 09:16 PM
Snake Bite 101 justintime Health, Fitness and First Aid 29 10-22-2017 03:43 AM
Snake bite kit stilllearning Reviews and questions 62 10-20-2017 01:13 AM
Snake bite first aid Dragunov Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 1 10-12-2014 05:09 PM
Snake Bite Is Expensive In NC East Coast Woods Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 21 02-05-2014 07:49 PM
Should I take snake bite kit to the woods? HeavyTakeMusic Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 41 07-13-2012 01:17 PM
snake bite question SoCalSurvivor Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 43 05-17-2011 05:57 PM
Recommend a Snake Bite Kit Mal Health, Fitness and First Aid 17 05-17-2011 12:39 AM
snake bite surfcast Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 69 05-31-2010 01:20 PM
Snake bite nebguy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 19 06-13-2008 10:39 AM

Old 08-30-2014, 05:35 PM

Default Man Dies From Snake Bite(s)

Advertise Here

A Missouri man died after being bitten on the hand three times by a copperhead that he picked up to show to his 11-year-old son.

He died within about 30 minutes of being bitten.

Obviously, he didn't recognize the snake as being poisonous. And he didn't know (or follow) one of the most important wilderness rules:

Don't mess with the wildlife unless you intend to eat it.

Snakes are fair game and good eating if you're hungry. But there are poisonous snakes that are off-colored for their species (like albino coral snakes) and if you just happen to decide to play with one because snakes are so much fun...

...Hey! Sorry boutch'yer luck!

(And what snake ever asked to be messed with, anyway?)

If wishes were, the man have just called his son over and said "Look at this snake."

Then they'd have both watched it go on about its business from six feet away, while the father taught his son an important rule about survival.

http://fox2now.com/2014/07/10/st-cha...tten-by-snake/
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lmorgan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2014, 05:40 PM
Here's my safety Sir

Thanked 20,730 Times in 7,372 Posts

Only good snake is a ............
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to madcritter For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2014, 05:42 PM
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD

Thanked 10,735 Times in 4,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmorgan View Post
A Missouri man died after being bitten on the hand three times by a copperhead that he picked up to show to his 11-year-old son.

He died within about 30 minutes of being bitten.

Obviously, he didn't recognize the snake as being poisonous. And he didn't know (or follow) one of the most important wilderness rules:

Don't mess with the wildlife unless you intend to eat it.

Snakes are fair game and good eating if you're hungry. But there are poisonous snakes that are off-colored for their species (like albino coral snakes) and if you just happen to decide to play with one because snakes are so much fun...

...Hey! Sorry boutch'yer luck!

(And what snake ever asked to be messed with, anyway?)

If wishes were, the man have just called his son over and said "Look at this snake."

Then they'd have both watched it go on about its business from six feet away, while the father taught his son an important rule about survival.

http://fox2now.com/2014/07/10/st-cha...tten-by-snake/
In my area copperheads are pretty brightly colored,even when mature.I was doing some whitewater in W Va on the New River and ran across one that was so dark I almost didn't see it because it blended so well with the dark gray rocks on the banks.... the pattern said copperhead but the color was way off for what Im used to...I left it alone....its what you are supposed to do
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flashman For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2014, 05:48 PM
Renaissance Man

Thanked 18,290 Times in 5,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcritter View Post
I'm gonna disagree.

We have had a huge copperhead problem on my property. One day my dog and I were walking in the backyard and saw a huge King snake. King snakes eat other snakes, including the poisonous snakes as they are immune to the venom.

So I like King snakes. I haven't seen a copperhead since the King snake moved in.

Az
Old 08-30-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azb View Post
I'm gonna disagree.

We have had a huge copperhead problem on my property. One day my dog and I were walking in the backyard and saw a huge King snake. King snakes eat other snakes, including the poisonous snakes as they are immune to the venom.

So I like King snakes. I haven't seen a copperhead since the King snake moved in.

Az
I'm gonna disagree as well. Without snakes, the rats and mice would takeover everything.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Gnut For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2014, 10:32 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,507 Times in 11,530 Posts
Default I have a southern coachwhip, trying to get a good pic of him,

Quote:
Originally Posted by azb View Post
I'm gonna disagree.

Az
that lives in my shop, and he has a place to stay as long as he wants, haven't seen a copperhead this year, been bit by those a couple of times, they aint fun, have seen some odd coloration copperheads, from almost mud brown to black, to bright orange almost, they get big down here, have the skin of a 5 foot female hanging over my fireplace, only reason I killed her was she was doing her damnbdest to get me (bush hawging) cant imagine a copperhead being docile enough for anyone to think they could pick it up, every one ive ever seen, if you spotted it, was coiled up, cocked and locked ready to bite. times ive been bit have been either reaching into something ( junk truck) or stepping on ( why I don't wear sneakers salvaging anymore). that sounds like one of those "hey ya'll watch this" moments, where alcohol was heavily involved.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2014, 10:50 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,631 Times in 1,102 Posts

I have a pet snake, non-venomous of course

People are stupid to play with snakes, especially when they dont know if its poisonous or not.

I dont pick up random snakes. Even if they are not poisonous they can still have plenty of nasty bacteria in their mouth to infect the wound when they bite you.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:55 PM
Jack of all trades

Poor kid! Jeez, that's a hard thing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedHerringHack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2014, 10:59 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 20,533 Times in 5,288 Posts

I have no issues with snakes, but I have respect for what can happen to you.
I used to kind of blow it off (young and dumb, I guess), then I had a snake bite victim in my ER:

Central FL, circa '95-'96? Physically fit 17YO WM, was fishing with a buddy around a drainage pond that was directly behind a FD substation.
Gets tagged by a mocassin on the ankle, incision marks were almost two inches apart - big snake. A couple of the FD guys went out and caught the snake, killed it and brought it in (partly to make sure we had correct ID, and also cause they didn't want the big SOB near their station...) Thing was a monster.

Like I said, kid was literally feet from responders, they had him to us in <5 min.
Used all our in-house antivenin, and we had stuff coming in from other hospitals. This kid was CTD (circling the drain, i.e. not good) for quite a while... Finally stabilized him, but I heard he ended up with some nasty necrosis around the bite.
Scary, because he was healthy, got almost immediate care, and still almost died. Someone more compromised, or younger/older, would have succumbed.
I'm not phobic or anything, but I'm not as cavalier with poisonous snakes anymore.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:03 PM
I love this forum

Wait, 3 bites? OMG thats too much.

We need to ban assault snakes, We must limit the bites a snake can deliver to just one. They do not 3 bites its too much. Think of the children!
Old 08-30-2014, 11:10 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Copperheads are small but pack more of a punch than what most think. I wonder if he picked up a young one because its birthing season. Also, they typically empty their venom sacs in whatever messes with them.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:21 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,033 Times in 338 Posts

I'm guessing 90% plus of snakes are beneficial to man. If you kill all the snakes, you're asking for rodent infestation.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to yakergreg For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2014, 12:00 AM
Never compromise.

Thanked 12,202 Times in 3,712 Posts

Another Darwin Award winner.

Venomous snakes I'll dispatch with extreme prejudice. A moccasin got my dog in the face last year and I almost lost her.

OTOH I leave the rat/chicken snakes alone because they are non poisonous and they eat the frogs that drive me nuts with their caterwauling around the pond.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MonsterMash For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2014, 12:16 AM
Military MOM

Thanked 7,388 Times in 2,866 Posts

We have cottenmouths where I live now. Needless to say, shoot to kill! They are very aggressive! and deadly!
Among other snakes, I hate them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marcie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2014, 12:17 AM
Prepped and Done!

Thanked 4,513 Times in 1,707 Posts

Wife found a copperhead in our garage tonight.

6 ft of 2" PVC conduit did the trick.
May he rest in peace.

Struck at the conduit as I hit him. Suckers are fast!

They're all over this year.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BuellerBueller For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2014, 12:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,424 Times in 1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcritter View Post
Happy Snake. So don't go fooling around with them, just leave them alone!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rriley For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2014, 12:22 AM
I love this forum

The man from Missouri was a moron & I honestly have no sympathy for his stupidity.

Seriously, there are only 2 types of venomous snakes in north america. Coral snakes & Pit vipers.

Both are easily recognizable if you know what to look for. Leave them alone & everything will be fine. Is that really so difficult?
Old 08-31-2014, 12:24 AM
Military MOM

Thanked 7,388 Times in 2,866 Posts

Sulphur pellets keeps snakes away. Get a bag at most feed stores. I have them in my preps
Old 08-31-2014, 12:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,792 Times in 3,503 Posts

Three times??? Once didn't teach him a lesson?

I love snakes. I even love rattlers. Fascinating & beautiful creatures. However I understand they don't love me. If I had a pit viper near my front or back yard I'd probably kill it if I didn't have a safe way to catch and relocate it but that is about the only reason. In the field I always allow Mr. Snake the right-of-way.

My dogs are vaccinated and trained in snake avoidance. They are a fact of life if you want to be in their territory.

Up close and personal with a telephoto lens. He's only trying to figure out what I am.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TMcArthur For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2014, 09:26 PM
Hunter

Thanked 6,417 Times in 1,135 Posts

Whatever happened to being taught to treat every snake as if it was poisonous? Just like you treat every gun like it's loaded. It's way too dangerous to make a mistake with either one of them.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jujumyers For This Useful Post: