Solar still - 100% pure water harmful? - Page 6 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Christian myths that are harmful to the faith too2late Religious Discussion 199 04-04-2015 02:44 PM
Pure Easy Micro Ceramic Water Filter ChapNelson Reviews and questions 1 12-22-2014 06:31 AM
Pure Prepping: Water Storage Containers, not created Equal. Festes Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 13 09-14-2013 11:25 AM
flu vaccines are harmless according to US Gov, but harmful elsewhere and it's known? Prepping Controversial News and Alternative Politics 11 02-04-2013 01:36 PM
water bottle solar hot water heater Optimist DIY - Do It Yourself 6 07-30-2012 03:37 PM
Question on keeping bottled water pure Lurch1 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 07-24-2012 03:16 PM
How I store pure water nayr Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 06-06-2011 12:50 PM
Most harmful president of all time Napoleon Armalite General Discussion 33 12-03-2009 09:07 PM
portable water purifying device that can turn raw sewage into pure drinking water. Gunner65 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 09-12-2009 07:30 PM

Old 02-07-2015, 11:12 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

Advertise Here

Mercola is the kind of New Age, groovy, quasi-medical site that expounds on organic produce, colonic cleansing, grass fed beef, ketosis, the evils of soft drinks, acupuncture, the need for daily exotic supplements, magnesium, iron, and thousands of other unproven theories. It is opinion, but not based in medical science.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2015, 11:46 AM
أنا واحد حذر والدتك لك عن

Thanked 11,941 Times in 4,051 Posts

100 Percent pure water is harmful? Please stop listening to idiots.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firstforcerecon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2015, 11:54 AM
Prepared

Yes excessive water will flush minerals out of your body. So will excessive sweating.

This is not a sincere concern because the food you eat will replenish your body with trace minerals.

The bigger risk of a solar still is in two areas.

1. Accidentally having poison ivy, oak, sumac or other noxious plants in the solar still.

2. The plastic sheeting was tainted with something.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:56 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 73,786 Times in 21,999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two_Bears View Post
Yes excessive water will flush minerals out of your body. So will excessive sweating.

This is not a sincere concern because the food you eat will replenish your body with trace minerals.

The bigger risk of a solar still is in two areas.

1. Accidentally having poison ivy, oak, sumac or other noxious plants in the solar still.

2. The plastic sheeting was tainted with something.
I would challenge you to show a diet of a typical American that has enough bio-available calcium, magnesium, zinc, copper, selenium, vanadium, chromium and iodine. Then show how much of what people ingest is immediately removed by drinking distilled water (and carbonated beverages). I don't think you will like the answer, and neither will your body.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Mag...hProfessional/
Of course it is possible to get it in your diet, but you really have to be eating all the right stuff. And this assumes 100% is absorbed into your body and not sucked up to achieve osmotic mineral homeostasis with the distilled water ingestion.

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=381712
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2015, 10:24 PM

What is your body made out of? I be leave it is like 90%? PURE water so if you drink filtered or regular water your kidneys filter out all of the bad stuff (rocks, minerals) so your body can use pure water.
So what do you think is better for you distilled water= rain water), filtered,or RO water?
Try passing a kidney stone.....
You people that are telling other people that pure water is bad for them do some reading if you know how to comprehend it vor go to Youtube and listen to what the experts say about pure water
The answer is pure water end of discussion.

Birddog 1
The Following User Says Thank You to Birddog 1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2015, 10:42 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 58,587 Times in 20,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog 1 View Post
What is your body made out of? I be leave it is like 90%? PURE water so if you drink filtered or regular water your kidneys filter out all of the bad stuff (rocks, minerals) so your body can use pure water.
So what do you think is better for you distilled water= rain water), filtered,or RO water?
Try passing a kidney stone.....
You people that are telling other people that pure water is bad for them do some reading if you know how to comprehend it vor go to Youtube and listen to what the experts say about pure water
The answer is pure water end of discussion.

Birddog 1
You don't understand how kidneys work at all. Kidney do not filter the water you intake. They filter your blood.

Nor is rainwater the same as distilled water.

You don't get to rationalize what you think makes sense about biology. It's not a guessing game.

And if you consider Youtube as the prime source for scientific expertise then I suggest you go back to school.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2015, 11:12 PM

Check this artical on water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1PEnFk0M54

Birddog 1
Old 02-08-2015, 11:32 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog 1 View Post
Check this artical on water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1PEnFk0M54

Birddog 1
One second in and there was no reason to continue.

It's a sales ad for this company: http://rockymountainwaterdistillers.com/

If you think a company trying to sell something is unbiased then I have a bridge to sell you.

Protip: Don't let salesmen try to teach you science.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:41 AM
Zomby Woof

Thanked 39,924 Times in 10,698 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
One second in and there was no reason to continue.

It's a sales ad for this company: http://rockymountainwaterdistillers.com/

If you think a company trying to sell something is unbiased then I have a bridge to sell you.

Protip: Don't let salesmen try to teach you science.
So you are in the wilderness for whatever reason.
There is a creek.
Do you
1 - drink from the creek
2 - employ a hand pump type water filter
3 - employ the distillation process
4 - dehydrate

I have tested one of these:

It seems to do well and is now part of my stash at home in case it's ever needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to SkullyWV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2015, 02:07 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

The problem world-wide for thousands of years has always been how to take the harmful constituents out of drinking water.

There has never been a problem with water that is too pure and devoid of anything.
End of story.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:48 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
The problem world-wide for thousands of years has always been how to take the harmful constituents out of drinking water.

There has never been a problem with water that is too pure and devoid of anything.
End of story.
That's the problem with absolute statement. It must be absolutely true to state it absolutely.

Feel free to post a link to an absolute statement from a respected peer reviewed scientific authority to support your absolute declaration.

Otherwise your statement is absolutely not true. End of story.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,950 Times in 2,411 Posts

Quote:
That's the problem with absolute statement. It must be absolutely true to state it absolutely.

Feel free to post a link to an absolute statement from a respected peer reviewed scientific authority to support your absolute declaration.

Otherwise your statement is absolutely not true. End of story.
How many people have received medical treatment for dining excessive quantities of distilled water? I can't find any.

What I am finding in researching this is that the body isn't even capable of absorbing organic minerals from drinking water, only through food.

With all the thousands of military personnel who have lived exclusively off of distilled water, and yet no epidemics of weak bones or other physical ailments, the evidence that distilled water is benign seems overwhelming to me.

But I don't think you will change your mind on this one, no matter the counter evidence you are provided.
The Following User Says Thank You to willthrill81 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2015, 08:47 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,129 Times in 934 Posts

To add to this comment and for the OP, the other issue with distilling (beyond mineral balance in your body) is that it is very energy intensive. If you read the specs on some of these home/electric distillers, they can consume 500w, 1000w and a lot more.
Using other energy sources eases the pain, but you will still need the equivalent energy however its produced.
And as noted, if you are distilling that has very heavy salt of mineral content, you need a very large scale system that generates a lot of heat, or you have to make multiple passes to asymptotically remove most of the salts.
Unlike 'stills' that some use to distill grain alcohol, water has a higher boiling point thus requiring more energy to convert to a virtually pure gaseous state.
I wouldn't think this is something worth doing other than for a specific medical problem. But other filtration methods are more practical and (in most cases) healthier.
B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmuttsmith View Post
I live within 200 yards of the ocean. I have a made a distiller that can be ran from propane or wood. Gives me good water, and as long as I have fuel, wood or whatever, I will have water. I do not believe however, that we can get all the salts out of the water, without distilling a bunch of times.

I've also got the method of getting salt from the ocean down pretty well. Do a search of my post and you will see my post.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:48 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by willthrill81 View Post
How many people have received medical treatment for dining excessive quantities of distilled water? I can't find any.
It's not like hospital admittances are listed on Google's front page.

Quote:
What I am finding in researching this is that the body isn't even capable of absorbing organic minerals from drinking water, only through food.
Will a report from the World Health Organization be helpful? It has a long but informative title.

Nutrient minerals in drinking-water and the potential health consequences of consumption of demineralized and remineralized and altered mineral content drinking-water: Consensus of the meeting.

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_...usrep.pdf?ua=1

Quote:
With all the thousands of military personnel who have lived exclusively off of distilled water, and yet no epidemics of weak bones or other physical ailments, the evidence that distilled water is benign seems overwhelming to me.

But I don't think you will change your mind on this one, no matter the counter evidence you are provided.
You keep demanding I see an absolute point. I've said since the beginning that the danger is rare and easily rectified.

But the only thing you absolutists want is a 100% surety that distilled water is always 100% safe. Nothing is 100% safe and I'm not going to cave into your demands that I concede your point.

You should definitely read that WHO report. It shows a direct correlation between the mineralization of water and lower incidence of heart disease.

It also shows that I've been right about everything I've said so far. I won't be caving in to your absolutist expectations.

The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:

Will a report from the World Health Organization be helpful? It has a long but informative title.

Nutrient minerals in drinking-water and the potential health consequences of consumption of demineralized and remineralized and altered mineral content drinking-water: Consensus of the meeting.

You keep demanding I see an absolute point. I've said since the beginning that the danger is rare and easily rectified.

But the only thing you absolutists want is a 100% surety that distilled water is always 100% safe. Nothing is 100% safe and I'm not going to cave into your demands that I concede your point.

You should definitely read that WHO report. It shows a direct correlation between the mineralization of water and lower incidence of heart disease.

It also shows that I've been right about everything I've said so far. I won't be caving in to your absolutist expectations.
Thank you for that link to the WHO article. Really excellent article!
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2015, 08:14 AM
Zomby Woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Thank you for that link to the WHO article. Really excellent article!
I was hoping to see Pete Townshend and company, but it was a good article.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SkullyWV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2015, 08:24 AM
Zomby Woof

Quote:

That is my main curiosity though. Are the ingredients in drinking water, other than the hydrogen and oxygen, colloidal?

Several articles I've read say no except for silica, which is not a desirable non-metallic mineral.

I believe the contention in this thread is not that we need water for minerals, but that distilled water will wash out minerals faster than non-distilled. Am I correct?

This article is of interest.
http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/wat...er-mineral.htm
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SkullyWV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullyWV View Post
That is my main curiosity though. Are the ingredients in drinking water, other than the hydrogen and oxygen, colloidal?

Several articles I've read say no except for silica, which is not a desirable non-metallic mineral.

I believe the contention in this thread is not that we need water for minerals, but that distilled water will wash out minerals faster than non-distilled. Am I correct?

This article is of interest.
http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/wat...er-mineral.htm

Yes, that is correct.
The osmotic pressure across the semipermeable system that is the body deoends simply on the concentration of salts on each side of the system. Doesnt matter if the salt is nacl, caco3 or whatever. Anything dissolved in the water
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2015, 12:45 PM

Sorry, i cant type on this **** phone.
Anything dissolved in the water will ease the osmotic stripping power of the water and spare your skelaton from being dissolved. Not an acute sudden danger, but if continued for 40 years, you wake up and notice your skelaton is dissappearing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2015, 01:46 PM
Zomby Woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Sorry, i cant type on this **** phone.
Anything dissolved in the water will ease the osmotic stripping power of the water and spare your skelaton from being dissolved. Not an acute sudden danger, but if continued for 40 years, you wake up and notice your skelaton is dissappearing.
OK, then is more of a danger to the young, as more than likely, I don't have 40 more years.
Most of the water I drink contains barley malt & hops anyway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SkullyWV For This Useful Post: