Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you could only have 3 items in your Wilderness Survival pack, what would it be? Chris22 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 263 02-25-2019 09:18 PM
Guidelines for the Wilderness survival, hiking and camping section kev Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 125 07-20-2018 06:52 AM
Wilderness Survival Vs. Going Camping plantguy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 52 03-29-2016 11:43 AM
Wilderness Camping/Hiking with a disability Medic73 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 12 02-26-2015 04:59 PM
The Wilderness Survival/Camping/Hiking Gear-Swap Thread! twyggy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 131 01-19-2014 12:25 AM
Wilderness Survival/Hiking/Camping Rules Reminder Potantsuem Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 1 12-27-2012 02:35 PM
Hiking, Camping and Wilderness Winter Survival Items ?? ehg3322 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 12 08-12-2011 01:25 PM
hiking and wilderness survival BSAScouter Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 01-07-2011 12:11 AM

Old 12-01-2014, 08:48 AM

Advertise Here

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=177434058950435

How about this awesome bug out trailer! Anybody have something like this for camping?
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2014, 08:49 AM

Old 12-03-2014, 10:14 AM

Default Backpacking kit

Here is what I'm using for my backpacking kit for now. I'm constantly changing it. The only thing that could limit my time in the woods would be how much food I bring with me.
Tarp
Tent stakes
100' of paracord
Sleeping bag
Mess kit
Poncho
Shemagh
3 L Camelbak
1 L Platypus bag
Tinder (Char cloth and steel wool)
Magnesium striker
Esbit stove (if it's too wet to start a fire)
Dr. Bronner's soap
Foot powder
Cold weather gear (Gloves, beanie, etc.)
Headlamp
Flashlight
Spare socks
Compass
Knife sharpener
Rust eraser
Esee 4 knife
Hatchet
Rite in the Rain paper
Camp towel
Any suggestions on how I could improve this? Be glad to hear them.
The Following User Says Thank You to dc1995 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2014, 10:20 AM

Also have a FAK and water filter. Forgot to add those.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:33 PM
-

Thanked 1,375 Times in 702 Posts

i carry a bit of burts bees hand salve. in winter, the gloves still dont protect the skin of dry air, so these are life savers for hands. I take a bit from the tin and store it in a small pill box which is backpackable.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:22 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,035 Posts
Exclamation hiking gear

As a 69-year old, I go for a 1-2 hour hike each day. I am practicing for hiking the Seven Devils Mountains this summer. I am far enough out in the sticks that I just begin from my home and most places are a class 2 hike. I just returned from my hike thirty minutes ago and I have the following in my Cabela's day pack:

wool glove liners
stocking cap that covers the face
extra wool mix socks
polypropylene long johns, top & bottom
TP
Down vest
hand warmers
heavy duty space blanket/tarp
forehead sweat band
1-quart canteen of water
compact 9mm + an extra mag in a small fanny pack
.357 mag SA revolver + extra ammo
Alaska bear spray in holster
Sawyer water filter
sheath knife
F-t 60 radio
plastic spoon
salmon and tuna in foil packs
Clif bars
Emergen-C
Leatherman
pocket Swiss Army folding knife
extensive first-aid kit
compass
GPS
extra eyeglasses
whistle
compass
Streamlight flashlight
extra batteries
camera
misc fire starting stuff
sharpening stone
solar flashlight
Bic lighters
tube saw

I could easily need this equipment on day hikes in the high mountains and may be forced to spend a night out. I will probably add my wood cook stove kit this summer.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:30 PM
"This is my Boomstick!"

Thanked 1,335 Times in 732 Posts

Wilderness Survival Items

Sort of depends what season I am going out. This is more for Spring, Summer, and Fall.

Maxpedition Vulture II Pack
Condor MOLLE Water Bottle Pouch
Benchmade Nimcub II Fixed Blade
Kershaw BLUR Folder Knife
Mora of Sween Companion Knife
Compass
Map
Steiner 8x30 Predator Binoculars with neck strap
Cell Phone
Telesopic Fishing Pole and small fishing kit
Hammock with rain fly and insect net
6x8 tarp thermal/OD Green
Piece of Reflectix
Warm and cold weather sleeping bags
Pendleton Wool Blanket
ThruNite TN12 LED Waterproof Flashlight
Fenix HL30 Waterroof AA LED Headlamp
Small Backup LED Flashlight
FAK/Trauma Kit
Anti-Diareeal Meds
Pain Meds
Firekit (Bic lighters, NATO Grade Waterproof matches, Blastmatch, magnifying glass, etc)
RENOVO Trio Water Filter Straw (Filters down to 0.05 micons!)
Sawyer Water Filter Bottle
Titanium Spork
300 feet para-cord 550 (Black, OD Green, and Woodland Camo)
Realtree Pattern Rain Poncho
Gorilla Tape
Insect Repellent 100% DEET
Burt's Bees Lip Balm
Sunscreen
Realtree Pattern Bandana
Wool Socks
Foot Powder
Mole Skins
A-TACS FG Boonie Hat
Corona Folding Saw 10 inch
Benchmade Wave Black Oxide Multi-tool
Coleman four piece mess kit
Leather work gloves
Camp Soap
TP
Coleman Bio-wipes
Ziploc bags
OD Green Dry Sack
Snare Wire
Whistle/Compass/Thermometer
Danner GTX Canteen Boots
Gerber Gator Machete
Signal Mirror
Extra Cellphone Battery
Eton Weather Alert AM/FM Handcrank Radio
25 feet of rope
Carbiners
Mountain House, Cliff Bars, Jerky, Trail Mix, SPAM Slims, and Chocolate
Tea and Gatorade Mix
Wash Cloth
Toothbrush and Toothpaste
Small Flask with Vodka
Pack of Cigarettes (I know I know)
Old 12-16-2014, 03:22 PM

Default Hiking, Camping and Wilderness Survival Items

Ok, So it took me 3 days to read through the hole thread and I agree everyone has there own take on what is "NEEDED". So, I'll throw in a flew of things that I have found and keep in our BOB's aswell
1: 1.5' of flat lantern wick (any cotton strip will do), Now I know these make great fire wicks, But keep this one CLEAN! Now think of the nastiest dirtiest muck hole you can think of, and scoop it up, If you set this pond scum above you canteen cup with the wick running from one to the other it will siphon from one to the other and filter the water to you canteen cup while your making your fire to boil it.
2: Some have said that instant coffee would be nice, And yea, I keep some in the BOB as well. But I had a Brit friend introduce me to a Tea bob! I keep one in both of our BOB's along with REAL coffee.
3: The Altoids mint boxes are great for keeping a pocket kit in but I have some larger tins with windows in them that I keep contaminants in, Salt, pepper sugar, honey, even some taco bell salsa, and Bullion cubes.
4: Now I don't have a problem with Roman noddles, But my wife HATES them! so a 1 lt pop bottle filled with rice will make about 3 meals in a pinch along with a couple of cups of elbow noddles vacuum sealed keeps her happy.
This is by no means our complete BOB just somethings I didn't see in the thread that we have.
5: One other thing Rubber bands the 3" wide ones, so I can Blouse my pant legs
P.S. These are things I take everywhere when I leave the house.... But then the house is a Bus so I guess I take everything everywhere
Old 12-21-2014, 04:24 AM
I love this forum

i just made my bag i don't think i remember 100% of everything but here it goes….4 pounds organic rice. 4 pairs socks 1 set thermals 1 jacket 2 beanies lighters bees wax wicks fire starters (magnesium) pent butter stansport cooking pots (2) 2 pounds chia seeds 1 morakniv knife (cheapest one) one elk ridge full tang bowie (sharp as ****) 22 inch gavilan columbian machete (technically not in the pack in carrying it but wtf) life straw 6 medium power led flashlight 2 high power (265 lumen) (lifetime guarantee never replace bulbs) got em on sale at big 5 2 for 15 bucks non gmo freeze dried food oatmeal sleeping bag 4 space blankets 275 feet of 550 cord 100 liter camel bak cheap sleeping bag either organic strong kind bars or grass fed pastured meat bars called EPIC bars (very delicious made from highest quality meats that are grass fed and raised in pastures like there suppose to) think I'm missing a few little things but thats most of it
Old 12-21-2014, 11:21 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,018 Times in 5,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the end is very near View Post
i just made my bag i don't think i remember 100% of everything but here it goes….4 pounds organic rice. 4 pairs socks 1 set thermals 1 jacket 2 beanies lighters bees wax wicks fire starters (magnesium) pent butter stansport cooking pots (2) 2 pounds chia seeds 1 morakniv knife (cheapest one) one elk ridge full tang bowie (sharp as ****) 22 inch gavilan columbian machete (technically not in the pack in carrying it but wtf) life straw 6 medium power led flashlight 2 high power (265 lumen) (lifetime guarantee never replace bulbs) got em on sale at big 5 2 for 15 bucks non gmo freeze dried food oatmeal sleeping bag 4 space blankets 275 feet of 550 cord 100 liter camel bak cheap sleeping bag either organic strong kind bars or grass fed pastured meat bars called EPIC bars (very delicious made from highest quality meats that are grass fed and raised in pastures like there suppose to) think I'm missing a few little things but thats most of it
Since you are wanting to live in the wilderness, take this and head to a park! Learn to use the gear and practice cooking over a fire you built yourself! There is NOTHING like practicing the skills you intend to need!

Also, there is a man living in the California desert full time. He comes back to civilization once in a while with youtubes on how he lives: he uses the money the ads make to buy things like salt, tools, and so forth. I do not remember his name but you might want to find them and watch them.

I see from the time that you are posting that you are having a sleepless night. Take care!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2015, 10:15 PM

A deck of playing cards to add to the list :-)
Old 01-24-2015, 11:49 PM

A good knife, para cord, necessary meds and most important...common sense!
Old 01-27-2015, 05:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,792 Times in 3,503 Posts

There's a web site that has a free gear inventory program that works for me, http://www.geargrams.com. Even gave a donation because it was so useful. I used it for this inventory (incomplete list, quantities and content subject to constant revision):

It also has columns for description, unit quantity and weight and you can group within different subcategories and so forth. I catagorize everything so it is easy to sort alphabetically by sublist. For example I can just look at what I want for an overnighter or long term, what goes in the doggie pack and what is in the navigation kit or med kit. (And yes I do have prescriptions for the meds.)
The Following User Says Thank You to TMcArthur For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2015, 09:37 AM

That's a great idea. Larry
Old 02-16-2015, 02:26 PM

Default Ultimate survival bracelet

Here is this new and awesome essential to any survivalist. It is not your average "Walmart special" survival bracelet.

Check out: www.alaskansurvivalistffs.com

These survival bracelets contain;
1 knife/serrated cutter/scraper
1 whistle
10-feet braided fishingline
2 barber fishing hooks
2 fishing swivels
1 split shot weight
1 true bezeled, liquid filled
anti-freezing compass
1 ferrocerium fire starter
1 strand of Jute fuel/tinder
1 P-51 can-opener/bottle-opener/screwdriver
Approx. 16-20 feet of 7-strand 550 cord (110-feet of 10 lbs line + 16-feet of paracord sheath) for binding or snaring
1 commando 8-strand wire saw stainless steel for cutting wood, ice, bone, soft metal
1 straw (for drinking or fire bellowing)
1 needle
Old 02-18-2015, 10:52 PM

All this is good info....for a shelter,bivy sack,poncho(not so much)....i take a section of "Tyvek" the house wrap.....made a bivy sack with the tyvek tape to secure the sides....for a shelter i use 4 golf balls gathered at the corners and secured with light rope for a water proof shelter......spent many rainy nites in the bivy sack, warm & dry.....very light weight and hard to tear......once the tyvek tape is in place you cannot remove it without destroying the tyvek.....easy to find 8ft rolls ....construction guys will have extra....1 lb is a lot of shelter...
Old 03-19-2015, 03:48 PM

Hey guys I have a question:

For an extended outdoor journey / solo trekking, do you recommend a large outdoor survival knife or a small and light axe? I mean for multiple uses but mainly cutting things and especially wood for fire. In the axe-case I would have a 2nd foldable knife with a 9.5cm blade length, quite large too I think. What do you say?
Old 03-20-2015, 03:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 28,954 Times in 6,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillean View Post
Hey guys I have a question:

For an extended outdoor journey / solo trekking, do you recommend a large outdoor survival knife or a small and light axe? I mean for multiple uses but mainly cutting things and especially wood for fire. In the axe-case I would have a 2nd foldable knife with a 9.5cm blade length, quite large too I think. What do you say?
If for weight purposes you're not wanting to take both this may a good choice. It a Kukuri. More of a machete than anything but does what both a knife and an axe can do. Cut wood or meat. Just a thought.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:48 AM

Have you Kukris in mind that you would recommend? I searched the internet for some (I knew them before) but I just seem to find low-prized kukris for below 50€ with some 440-steels, and the comments only tell how good it works in the garden. I'm ready to spend up to 150€ for this, but I need a really good tool then. Strong steal, light, functional, but extremely solid. I don't have to cut my nails with this, so its okay if I only get it moderately sharp.

/G
Old 03-31-2015, 02:21 PM

Default Research

Hi there I'm a Product Designer, currently working on a project regarding first aid kits/emergency packs, revolving around Hiking.

I was wondering if anyone could answer a few of these questions:

I was researching into the most common injuries when Hiking, I found out:

Blisters
Skins injuries
Joint injuries
Insect bites
Sunburn
Dehydration

Could anyone confirm or disregard these? Or also add more in?

Also.

When it comes to a FAK or Emergency Pack. What are the key features, you would say?

For example, lightweight, durability. What sort of materials would be used? The size of the product? If there is anything else, that anyone can think of, please don't hesitate to add them in.

Lastly.

Do you go out in groups, when Hiking or do you go individually?
Who are you?
What do you do as a living?
Where are you from?
When do you go Hiking?
Why do you go Hiking?

Hope anyone can answer these,

Kindest regards,

Jordan McDaid.