Vegetarians when the SHTF - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Almost SHTF worse than full on WROL/SHTF? Vanishing Nomad Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 42 05-15-2017 04:34 AM
Thoughts on firearms pre SHTF & ammo, post SHTF Corrigan Firearms General Discussion 31 01-16-2016 07:47 PM
Vegetarians & Veganism coesurve General Discussion 26 11-17-2014 12:52 PM
My own SHTF - laid off, depression, search, found job - SHTF over. Piece of Cake Grevlin General Discussion 42 03-04-2014 06:09 AM
Warning to vegetarians: Many prescription drugs secretly made with animal parts Jim Boonie General Discussion 3 03-17-2012 01:14 AM
My Minor SHTF could have been a Major SHTF charlie505 Manmade and Natural Disasters 36 02-19-2012 09:24 AM
Meat Eaters vs Vegetarians Straight Razor Health, Fitness and First Aid 99 03-24-2011 08:02 AM
were people and animals originally created as vegetarians? corndogggy Religious Discussion 88 08-24-2010 02:36 PM
Vegetarians Have Smaller Brains Straight Razor General Discussion 30 09-22-2008 02:01 PM

Old 11-20-2014, 03:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,030 Times in 1,974 Posts
Default Vegetarians when the SHTF

Advertise Here

I'm a pescatarian for the most part, however, I eat poultry a few times a year. I eat fish, shell fish and eggs a couple times a week. I'm curious what any of you other pescatarians and vegetarians plan to do if there is a time you must eat animal protein. I'm a pescatarian by choice, I've eaten critters that would make the steak loving yahoos in here cringe, I've had muskrat, coon, bear, deer, squirrel rabbit, duck, dove, goose, practically any kind of small game there is. I occasionally still eat meat just so my system won't have a sudden shock if I suddenly have to eat fur bearing critters again. So tell me veggies, what is your plan when the tofu runs out? Are you concerned about the rapid diet change?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Admiral Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2014, 03:22 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

With a meat history like that, you sound Creole.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:58 PM

I'm not a veggie but I assume I will be living on beans, rice, corn, turnips and whatever I get my hands on if need be. I will not be cannibal, but I guess it's OK to feed them to the dogs.
BTW Acorn bread is awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2014, 03:58 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,164 Times in 1,076 Posts

I am not a vegetarian, but if I was, I would be trying real hard to set up triple the garden I have now, and canning like a madman.
And making sure that I knew every single edible wild plant in 50 miles.

Trying to be vegetarian would be harder in that aspect. But, I suspect that the tradeoff would be not taking the time to fish, hunt or trap. (Or laying out the expense for that gear.)

To me, it's putting all of your eggs in two baskets: Garden and wild-growth.
Post-SHTF, they will have no access to what can't be grown locally, other than from storage, or maybe by trade or barter. So it may be harder to get the varied diet for optimum nutrition.

I wish them luck. But it's not like it's gonna be "easy" for omnivores either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BBQ_Pork For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2014, 04:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,330 Posts

yeah, I don't think vegetarians will have it much harder than anyone else. just because you eat meat doesn't mean you are going to find meat.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to disidoro For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Sinner w/ a great Savior

Thanked 10,760 Times in 2,327 Posts

The "One Circle" garden plan is supposedly a nutrient-complete solution to feeding humanity when available crop space shrinks. The claim is that you can grow everything you need in less than 1000 square feet. In reality you need a bit more than that, but the point is, vegan and vegetarian diets are quite compatible with TEOTWAWKI scenarios. And they're probably easier; I would suppose that animal husbandry and hunting and trapping is more difficult than hoeing and double-digging.

http://www.permies.com/t/17401/perma...ss-garden-plan

P.S. I ate a vegan diet for five years, but not anymore, due to health reasons. I don't know how well I'd do health-wise going vegan again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdevidal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2014, 04:38 PM
Man in the desert

Thanked 17,550 Times in 4,786 Posts

I've been a vegetarian for almost 30 years. If the SHTF I will eat whatever I need to to survive.

It's interesting this question comes up so often. I figured the answer would be obvious.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to grant80 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2014, 04:54 PM
Prepared

My wife is a vegetarian and I have discussed the possibility of her having to eat animal proteins in the event of a eotw scenario. Her response was awesome "If I have to, to stay alive I will"! good to know. I have stored alot of vegetarian food to try and assist her.

Regards,

Izzit
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Izzit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2014, 05:03 PM

Something to think about if there were no Safeways, Ralphs or Walley Worlds food store we will all be veggies because how long do you think the wild animal population will last when EVERYONE is out there shooting or trapping just to stay alive or selling or bartering there game ?

Birddog 1
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Birddog 1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2014, 05:24 PM

Kudzu would be another source around here. If things went FUBAR I would have to think in bulk. Large family and all.
The Following User Says Thank You to ridgerunnerj59 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2014, 05:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 63,878 Times in 20,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog 1 View Post
Something to think about if there were no Safeways, Ralphs or Walley Worlds food store we will all be veggies because how long do you think the wild animal population will last when EVERYONE is out there shooting or trapping just to stay alive or selling or bartering there game ?

Birddog 1
yea, not so much.

That's why people keep animals.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2014, 05:26 PM
Sinner w/ a great Savior

Thanked 10,760 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog 1 View Post
Yeah, I honestly think the trend would be toward a plant-based diet, not away from it. Or at least, one in which animal proteins play a very minor role.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdevidal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2014, 05:43 PM
Trouble following rules

Thanked 5,407 Times in 1,581 Posts

I'd wonder more what people who eat animal products and addictive processed foods will do when/if they can't get those. I'm eating a very highly nutritious, vegan diet, with virtually no processed foods, twice a day (no sacks), and have no food cravings. My calorie requirements are low. I can thrive on much less food than most people.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bobcat59 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2014, 05:46 PM
Monkey with a gun

Thanked 1,324 Times in 414 Posts

Funny how many people have responded by talking about the plants they would eat or the extra gardening they would do, but the question was specifically what would you as a vegetarian do "if there is a time you must eat animal protein."

I've been a vegetarian for about 25 years, and in a life-or-death situation I would eat what I needed to in order to survive. Simple. Being a vegetarian isn't a religion. It's a choice based on many things including my health and environmental impact. Starving to death doesn't seem very healthy, and concern about the environment after a nuclear blast or a super-volcano eruption or a comet causing an extinction event would be pretty far down my list of priorities. Rat pt or roasted leg of Rottweiler might sound pretty tasty right about then.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Las Vegan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,526 Times in 676 Posts

I don't mean this to be disparaging to the vegans/vegetarians....but...

Ever wondered why humans evolved as omnivores? Because we had to. Subsistence societies had better things to worry about than picky eaters. Nature will take it's course when you're hungry, truly hungry. Most westerners have not had this experience and don't know what it means, but trust me, you'll see the world in a whole new way.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hank scorpio For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2014, 05:52 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat59 View Post
I'd wonder more what people who eat animal products and addictive processed foods will do when/if they can't get those. I'm eating a very highly nutritious, vegan diet, with virtually no processed foods, twice a day (no sacks), and have no food cravings. My calorie requirements are low. I can thrive on much less food than most people.
That's the key right there.

Vegetative matter in sufficient calories to perform real work is hard to do.....
Old 11-20-2014, 05:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 5,168 Times in 1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las Vegan View Post
I've been a vegetarian for about 25 years, and in a life-or-death situation I would eat what I needed to in order to survive. Simple. Being a vegetarian isn't a religion. It's a choice based on many things including my health and environmental impact.
I was a lifelong vegetarian until recent years. Started eating meat because I was concerned I was becoming too rigid. Now, I think it would be much easier to eat small furry creatures than it would have been for me to do years ago. Bet I could kill one now too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nancy29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2014, 05:55 PM
Dork Sided

Thanked 19,576 Times in 6,633 Posts

What the hell happend to this place?

You're actually concerned about having to eat meat in a survival situation to keep from dying of starvation?!

Hold your breath. That's my oxygen.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tracker_Buckmann For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2014, 11:14 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,959 Times in 417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteMan View Post
This is why people keep livestock.
I fear that if everyone is out there hunting and trapping to keep alive... my kept livestock will be raided in the middle of the night along with me and my few.

Unless you have a small army protecting it from raiders you will be SOL.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:19 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaengDa View Post
I fear that if everyone is out there hunting and trapping to keep alive... my kept livestock will be raided in the middle of the night along with me and my few.

Unless you have a small army protecting it from raiders you will be SOL.

and your watercress is going to be safe/defend you how?