Survivalist Forum banner

Wrong time to take a shot.

6K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  Hoka-hey 
#1 ·
Thought i would post this article i saw as it gave me a laugh and though others would like to read it too.

Wednesday, May 15, 2019
Wrong Time to Take a Shot - Allegany County
PRESS RELEASE FROM ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION:

On the morning of May 3rd, a New York State Trooper was travelling behind a pickup truck in the town of Grove when the truck suddenly stopped in the middle of the road. Much to the Trooper's disbelief, the operator of the truck pointed a gun out the window and fired two rounds at a turkey approximately 10 yards off the road. Both shots missed and the turkey flew away unharmed. The Trooper pulled the truck over. ECO RJ Ward responded to assist. After interviewing the shooter, ECO Ward charged the subject with possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle, discharging a firearm from a public highway, illegally attempting to kill a turkey, attempting to take wildlife from a public highway, and attempting to take wildlife from a motor vehicle.

http://wellsvilleregionalnews.blogspot.com/2019/05/wrong-time-to-take-shot-allegany-county.html

#8 ·
Yes, but he was charged with 5 violations for taking 1 shot at a bird... and missing.

"After interviewing the shooter, ECO Ward charged the subject with possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle, discharging a firearm from a public highway, illegally attempting to kill a turkey, attempting to take wildlife from a public highway, and attempting to take wildlife from a motor vehicle."

Most states would have likely not thrown the book at the guy.

#3 ·
I've been watching Lone Star Law and North Woods Law on the Animal Planet channel

Both are Game Warden shows, it's surprising what people will do and some of the excuses they come up with

At the end of the show, they'll usually say, who got fined what!

I really like the shows, they might actually help some as to "what not to do"

#16 ·
Sorry to those who find this disagreeable, but I hate poachers. This guy was too stupid to even look in his rear view mirror before doing it, I hope they threw the book at him. Some places that had more turkeys than you could count now have none. Making you get a license for them helps keep populations healthy, and nobody should be shooting out the window of their truck. I hope he ruined his ear drums.

#23 ·
That is a special king of stupid.
Any state would have and justly so charged every single count. He may not get jail but he will be paying off those fines for some time, not allowed to hunt and forfeit the weapon being used.
Not even counting him attempting to poach, it is extremely dangerous to hunt from a truck and in the middle of the road. No less with traffic.

#26 ·
Lighten up Francises. Franci. Whatever the plural is.

It's not like he fired a hellfire missile at a village somewhere without a war declaration.
He shot an ounce of bug dust at a bird. Assuming it was a very rural area, the cop should have just yelled at him and maybe fined him $100.

Extremely dangerous. It wasn't even dangerous to the bird! :)

Maybe he was trying to get some food for his starving kids. They no doubt confiscated his truck, his gun, fined the hell out of him and threw him in jail. So his kids can just die then or go into foster care.

For what? So you can be a tough guy?

#27 ·
He shot an ounce of bug dust at a bird. Assuming it was a very rural area, the cop should have just yelled at him and maybe fined him $100.

Extremely dangerous. It wasn't even dangerous to the bird! :)
You're "assuming" all kinds of things for some reason.

Why are you assuming it was an "ounce of bug dust"? Nothing in the article specified what kind of gun it was. Any ****wit who's stupid enough to stop in the middle of the road and shoot at a turkey out his window without even looking in the mirror first is stupid enough to shoot at a turkey with whatever gun he happens to have on him. There's no reason to think it was a shotgun.

Why are you assuming it was a "very rural area"? In the "very rural areas" near me, it's rather unusual to have cops around at all, let alone a State Trooper. They spend most of their time on state highways. There's no reason to think it was a "very rural area".

I didn't say "extremely dangerous", I said "probably dangerous". There's no way to tell for sure from the information provided in the article.

Maybe he was trying to get some food for his starving kids. They no doubt confiscated his truck, his gun, fined the hell out of him and threw him in jail. So his kids can just die then or go into foster care.
Lots more assumptions. :rolleyes: Yes, maybe his kids will starve to death because their moron father shot at and missed a turkey out the window of his truck on a public road directly in front of a State Trooper. Or maybe he's just a ****-for-brains, numbskull.

#34 ·
Don't mess with the DNR. DNR penalties aren't usually cheap. My brother got a few fines that ended up totaling more than $2500 for fishing while carrying an out of state drivers license even though he lives in the state and had a fishing license for the state he was fishing in. The fines were later dropped after he proved that he lived in the state that the fishing license was issued, but it was a hassle. They also came to his house to check on some animal mounts that someone said they seen to make sure he had the proper tags for them. If they wouldn't have been clearly visible from the door they could have entered legally to look at the mounts. They have a lot more authority than most people think. Also be prepared to run into them in the middle of no where.

#40 ·
I arrested a man

I arrested a man on a 911 call from a homeowner who had returned home to find a car parked in his driveway with the engine running and a "dead man locked inside.

The "dead man", turned out to be dead drunk and after some vigorous shaking of the vehicle he was roused.

When I got him out of the vehicle he claimed to be fishing.

Upon checking a small pond next to the house, I found two rods and a stringer of fish.

He claimed that the homeowner gave him permission to fish but the homeowner had never seen him before.

I advised him that it was against the law to fish or hunt on private property without permission.

He asked me if I thought I was the "F------ game warden .

I told him I was not but I would certainly get him being as he seemed to want another officer present.

I made the DUI charges and the game warden cited him for the violation of several fish and game laws.

The fish and game violations cost this guy more than the DUI plus he lost his fishing gear to boot.

Be careful what you ask for !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.