Survivalist Forum banner

10 MM Where Have You Been All My Life?

11K views 98 replies 28 participants last post by  Tactical Lever 
#1 ·
A couple years ago I happened to be shooting next to a guy testing some 10mm in a Glock 20 for a local commercial ammo remanufacturer. He was having problems with accuracy so he asked me to shoot a magazine. It was the first time I fired a 10 and man what a hoot. My excellent groups confirmed that the ammo was accurate and he was just having problems that day.

I found a Gen 3 Glock 20 SF at my local shop about a month ago. Since then I have been working up loads using 155 grain XTP's at 1400 FPS and 180 HST's at 1300. Unlike my well used and loved Gen 2 Glock 19, the Glock 20 SF is the perfect size for my large masculine hands. When I pull the trigger the powerful cartridge announces to eveyone else on the pistol range, "People Stop What You Are Doing! There Is An Alpha Male Shooting!"

To me the 10MM Glock 20 is the modern day equivalent of the Colt Walker used by the original Texas Rangers of the old west. There is something to be said about having 15+1 rounds of 10MM awesomeness that approaches the foot lbs of energy of a Short Barreled AR 5.56 rifle.

#3 ·
When I pull the trigger the powerful cartridge announces to eveyone else on the pistol range, "People Stop What You Are Doing! There Is An Alpha Male Shooting!"
And the guys with the .357 and .44 Mag are laughing at those wussies that are looking at you.:rolleyes:

A buddy had a S&W 29 in Germany, we'd go to the Schutzenhaus and fire two rounds, and then he'd drink beer the rest of the day, bought by the Germans that wanted to shoot the Dirty Harry gun.

Even the weak kneed .22 marksmen German's could handle the alpha maleness of the gun. Shoot, the guys wife was German, and she'd shoot a few once in a while to show the guys that it wouldn't blow their hand clean off...:rolleyes:

Oh, wait....Are you compensating?:xeye:

Man...I have a G20...I almost want to sell it, after learning you have one.:rolleyes:

#5 ·
I have a Colt Model .357 (Pre-Trooper), Colt Trooper .357, and a Dan Wesson Model 15 in .357. I am a big fan of .357 and reload for it. I have hunted elk with a 44 Mag Super Blackhawk. The .357 doesn't get quite the FPE of the 10MM and as much as I appreciate the .357 and 44 Mag I find neither tickles my biscuit quite like the 10 MM. Why on earth you would want to part with your 10MM after finding out the Alpha King owns one makes no sense. In fact any emotional based decision like that needs a follow up with your Primary care provider to check for low T. Just make sure you are avoiding Soy based food products. They give ya man boobies.

#7 ·
128 GT score, 89 ASVAB. MOS 0351 with an 8152 Secondary, passed a pysch and FBI background for a Top Secret clearance. Remember I never claimed to be a Tier 1 Spec ops guy. Lots of guys did what I did but it's still more than 99.97% more than the rest of America. Why so serious? Im just trying to pass the time while I stuck on desk duty.

#8 ·
Unlike my well used and loved Gen 2 Glock 19, the Glock 20 SF is the perfect size for my large masculine hands. When I pull the trigger the powerful cartridge announces to eveyone else on the pistol range, "People Stop What You Are Doing! There Is An Alpha Male Shooting!"
LOL OMG

This HAS to be a parody account. No one can actually be this way. Pretty funny.

#10 ·
Every single one of these 10mm threads has the same idiocy.

"I am a big fan of .357 and reload for it. I have hunted elk with a 44 Mag Super Blackhawk. The .357 doesn't get quite the FPE of the 10MM..."

Memo to O/P, the .357 is more gun than the 10mm. More energy and better sectional density. The .44 mag is in another universe. North of 1,500 ft pounds with a bulket that is far heavier and bigger.
I have two G20 SFs and I like them, but I have not yet tried to mate with them.

#15 ·
I always get a chuckle out of some of Jack's posts. And, pretty much spot on with threads like these.

As far as the OP's desire to mate with a 10mm, I on the other hand have no need nor desire to do so much less own one. I have plenty of others in the stable that satisfy my maleness just fine.

#17 ·
I'm going to preface this with the fact that I'm a huge 10mm Auto fan. I've got more handguns in 10mm auto right now than any other cartridge (except 9mm, 9mm should be a staple for everyone). I'm also not a big fan of revolvers and up until the last year I was always never a good shot with them, so my preferences also lean towards auto loaders.

That being said, I find it unfair to compare cartridges designed for semi autos against those designed for revolvers for a few reasons. The biggest reason I believe has to due with cartridge length and the design of the firearms themselves. Auto loader cartridges need to be shorter and not as wide to fit in the grip of a pistol so the pistol can actually be gripped and so that the slide does not have to travel as far when ejecting the cartridge. That means less case capacity so you're not able to work up as hot loads due to the design limitations of a semi auto pistol, which I'm sure many reloaders here already know. Revolvers win by a landslide in this regard. I've heard people say "if you want more power, get a bigger gun" and this definitely holds true.

The gap in sectional density is not significantly greater with .357 magnum loads as the 180gr 10mm jacketed bullets have a sectional density of .160 and the 200grs have a sectional density of .178 while the 158gr bullets have a sectional density of .177 and .140 for the 125gr bullets. I'm not going to get in to cast bullets because I don't cast my own bullets and really have no experience shooting cast to begin with. I'm also aware there are other bullet weights and types for both cartridges, but I'm not trying to make a huge post about it, just touch on things briefly using the two most common bullet weights for both cartridges. The higher sectional density per grain of weight is due to the above limitations in semi autos compared to revolvers. Longer bullets can be used due to the case length, whereas with the 10mm auto they can't without sacrificing other aspects.

Capacity was already touched on, 15+1 vs 6 on cartridges that are similar in power and effectiveness, 10mm should be the clear winner in this regard so I'm not going to touch on it beyond this.

.357 magnum vastly outperforms 10mm auto out of a rifle length barrel in just about every load as far as muzzle energy and velocity go. It's no contest.

I know I've not provided much supporting evidence, but I would say that for their intended purposes if you could even compare a revolver cartridge with an auto loader both cartridges are equal with equally effective real world performance on animals both large and small.

#19 ·
The 454 is a light weight wimp. The first time I pilled the trigger on my new 460 S&W there was a string of profanity laced complaints from others on the range which I soon had to my self. But I digress.

Back to the 10mm. When the subject comes up those who have never shot a 10mm load to the power lever is was designed, only shooting the watered down FBI power level loads, weigh in with comments of how they see no advantage to or use it. Some who have shot the full power level loads complain about how uncontrollable it is (FBI agents come to mind). So which is it?

BTW, I can see the need for 16 or more rounds in a 40 Short and Weak. BUT in a 10, really? With the 10 one round will end most conflicts turning the entire group of do-bads in fine red mist from the shock wave generated when it impacts the first target.

#24 ·
When I pull the trigger the powerful cartridge announces to eveyone else on the pistol range, "People Stop What You Are Doing! There Is An Alpha Male Shooting!" .

Did this hugely awesome demonstration take place at your “exclusive members only private shooting facility”, or at a peasants only shooting range, like the rest of us go to?

#25 ·
If the OP wants manly firepower with a lower bore axis he should try out the Medusa-Rhino-Matic. So powerful it has exhaust diverters on the barrel-cylinder gap to keep from knocking down the range lane partitions and the Pro model comes with testicle enhancers. As a bonus it has a tighter hole, if you're into that kind of thing.

#26 ·
When you play mine is bigger than yours you always loose. I have always felt the 357 was the perfect all around round. In both pistol and revolver. I had a super blackhawk. I sold it, it was a woman's or drug store cowboy pistol. And yeah I have a super redhawk in 454 to hunt deer. I also have a contender. 7X30 waters anyone? Now cut the macho stuff and face reality. If you can't shoot it and can't shoot it well it is just a toy and has little value. I put a 30 herret barrel on my contender many years ago and carried it hunting. Guys at camp would tell me stories from other hunters about the guy who was hunting with the giant pistol. 10 mm has its place just like the 40 S&W. Bragging rights is not one of them.

#33 ·
This gets tiresome

Real guns, real results, SAAMI spec

4-inch S&W L frame Mt. Gun

180gr. Hard cast LFN = 1375 fps

Energy of 756 foot-pounds for a 180 grain bullet at 1375 fps.

Sectional density of 0.201 with a bullet weight of 180 and diameter of .358".

Glock model 20 4.6-inch barrel

1140 fps - 220 gr. Hard Cast - FN

Energy of 635 foot-pounds for a 220 grain bullet at 1140 fps.

Sectional density of 0.195 with a bullet weight of 220 and diameter of .401".

The pistol proponents always mention barrel length, so they got some here, but the revolver guys never complain about the cylinder gap.
Regardless, let's just keep it real.
I like my G20 SFs
I love my numerous .357 mags

#41 ·
According to Quickload your 180 grain load is far beyond SAAMI specs. Is this some boutique load you are buying or are you reloading this to unsafe levels yourself? If you want to keep it real why are you cherry picking numbers. Again show me a 16 shot .357 low bore axis revolver that can be reloaded in 1 second.

#39 ·
Ballistics is not catagorical
But the dim- bulbs typically use the .223 Remington, or some other light fast round, as the poster child for this idiocy. How about this

460 Smith & Wesson Ammo
360 gr. L.B.T.-L.F.N. - (1,900 fps/M.E. 2,860 ft. lbs.)

Is this "useless" ?????

Monothlic bullets can make light fast bullets punch way above their weight class.

BTW, do the math, 6 × 2860 = ?????
10 mm math, 15 x 700 ( generous for heavies or anything) = ?????

Now see, I like the 10mm, but I am not moist thinking about it
As stated I have two G20 SFs and I like them

#38 ·
I have one of the original 11 ounce 360s in .357 mag
My favorite load is a wadcutter in that gun
Lightweight is good to a point
Even the SP101s in .357 mag are a no-go for me with the hot stuff and that ain't a light gun
Many have no problem with it and hot loads, I do
I have a couple 8 shot .357 mag Redhawks that are north of 40 ozs and I really like them hot
Most would consider them to be gag guns, but I think they are swell

#40 ·
Too bad = wouldn't it be nice
aren't too many = there are some
Mainstream = common

KE has nothing to do with effectiveness, it's simply a way to kinda/sorta compare cartridges.

So, 460 S&W and 500 S&W would likely be the only "mainstream" calibers.
1900 FPS is cherry-picked for a 360GR bullet. So, for the 10MM, 220 GR, how about 1250?
460 = 2800 FPE
10MM = 825 FPE

Total: 460 = 14,000 (5 shots not 6)
10MM= 12,000+

So there's one. The 500 (2) will be a bigger spread and I've never seen a 50 BMG (3) but certainly that would beat the bejeezus out of the 10.

On the other hand, if a 9MM is all a grizzly can stand, the 10MM is overkill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.