Survivalist Forum banner

Aluminum coated material cloud over Illinois

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Central Scrutinizer 
#1 ·
I wasn't really sure which forum to post this in, so mods please feel free to move it if this is the wrong one.

Apparently a C-130 for the West Virginia Air National Guard dispensed of a lot of chaff over southern Illinois. The aluminum coated material clouded up radar for over ten hours as the material slowly dissipated into the sky over a large swath of land.

Media reports don't detail what health hazards people might face for breathing this airborne aluminum, but I can't imagine that it is beneficial. Free alzheimers for everyone...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weat...led-over-southern-illinois-hours-what-was-it/

#3 ·
Given how spread out it will be by the time it hits the ground... I doubt there will be much in the way of health effects. It just looks like a lot on radar because it reflects radar extremely effectively (which is why it's used as a countermeasure). Because those chaff bundles create radar returns stronger than the aircraft dropping them.

#4 ·
I wasn't really sure which forum to post this in, so mods please feel free to move it if this is the wrong one.

Apparently a C-130 for the West Virginia Air National Guard dispensed of a lot of chaff over southern Illinois. The aluminum coated material clouded up radar for over ten hours as the material slowly dissipated into the sky over a large swath of land.

Media reports don't detail what health hazards people might face for breathing this airborne aluminum, but I can't imagine that it is beneficial. Free alzheimers for everyone...
You can't breathe chaff...it's too big.:cool:

Sorry...no alzheimers for you.:rolleyes:

#6 ·
Southern Illinois wants to secede from the state of Chicago so maybe the Alum is so they'll forget all about it...heh heh

As a ........hold on lost my train of thought.
Oh yeah over 40 yrs in machining and breathed plenty pf Alum dust and I'm still here.
Cobalt just about did me in at a particular Die shop though .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.