query about mini-desktops - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 03-29-2020, 06:11 AM

Advertise Here

You guys are great. Thanks for all the info.

I will get a mini-PC because I just can't get over the relative flimsiness of laptop, tablets, etc.
The redundancy in keyboard, mouse and display would be nice and the stored runtime would be really great but not at the cost of ruggedness. I avoid thin things and moving parts as much as possible.
I will keep my eye open though and if a cheap laptop or similar comes available I will consider it.

The temp seems like it will be OK. Members report no problems, they run more efficiently these days and the power supply is outside the case. I'll monitor the temperature and in the unlikely event that it gets too hot probably add a small fan (maybe externally) or something.

And it never occurred to me that I could upgrade components or build my own. Thanks for that. I will look into it for the next one after this.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2020, 06:59 AM

An update. I ended up getting a secondhand Dell Optiplex 990 with an i7 in it. That was what was available at the time. It is about 12" square and has a built-in DVD drive.
Ventilation looks OK but it is cold now so I will have to wait for summer to check for overheating.
I haven't measured the power use yet but it uses a heap less power than the old one. Very happy with that!
And just in time too. My old machine started playing up and needs 'hot-plugging of the motherboard' to get it going now!
I plan on building my next one myself. Thanks again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to down under For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 08:42 AM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,353 Times in 4,376 Posts

If a mini-PC does the job for you, get one. I use a W540, because I need the horsepower. I hook it to a 32" gaming monitor on my desk, and it's easy "grab-n-go" for mobility. The 3k display is superb, and I get 6+hrs out of the battery.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 03:45 PM
Bug-In Prepper

Thanked 1,070 Times in 438 Posts

Relatedly:

Since it looks like I'll continue to wfh until at least mid-2021, my wife relented and agreed to me getting AC for my home office (our family policy is that all expenditures over $200 must be agreed upon mutually, giving both of us veto power over large expenditures for any reason).

The T530 that has served as my office workstation has done a good job, but I'm ready to trade it up for an actual desktop tower with more memory (the T530 is maxed out at 16GB). With the AC and the low-watt desktop processors available now, I hope to avoid the thermal shutdown problems that plagued the desktop which was here before.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ttkciar For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 06:10 PM
VIP Member

Good discussion! If I were start new...there are some interesting technologies using stuff like this: https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power...1398451&sr=8-6 Apparently this is faster than an ssd...can be bootable. The bottom line, if you buy a computer that has a motherboard that accepts these, not only do they use less electricity but the boot-up time is really fast. They are approaching instant on speed - really convenient.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pengyou For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 09:05 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLF View Post
Desktops in general want 110/220V so you'll need inverter to run them. Same for regular monitors. With exceptions that are usually expensive.

A modern laptop can be charged from 12V source with these.
Pair such with one or two of these monitors, and you'll have 2 or 3 screen desktop setup that works from a battery bank and packs into a suitcase.
I had a 32" tv with built in dvd that would also serve as a computer monitor. Don't remember the price but it was reasonable for a 32" at the time. It came with a 12v adapter for something like $29. There are also power supplies that will run off of 12v for desktop systems. They are a little more expensive (last time I checked) but not outrageous. If you want to be die hard on the computer, you can buy a motherboard with only the bare minimum, and then install your own graphics card, etc. Graphics tend to be one of the functions that heats the mobo up. A good graphics card will have a good cooling system. Heat, power surges and dirt are the worst enemies of your computer. Dirt because it makes your computer hot when it is running and because sometimes there is material in the dirt that might cause a short circuit, so fundamentally there are only 2 enemies of computer.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:06 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,606 Times in 827 Posts

I just noticed that Philips has released new TV that runs on 12V. They had discontinued the previous model a while ago. It is so new, that even the manufacturer's site doesn't have it listed. https://www.frog.ee/en/tv/television...hd-led-tv-12-v

Cheapest I can find it right now is 179€.
24", still portable. Has VESA mount so it can be attached to RV/van wall mount.
12 volt obviously 1
IPS panel. This is the thing that pretty much no other manufacturer has. They are all TN crap.

Once source claimed it has Saphi smart tv OS. If true, it would be nice addition. Previoues models were all stupid displays and needed external boxes to watch streaming videos.

12V is possible indeed on desktops, out of modern devices something like Intel NUC could be a good option. It is readily 12V compatible. Biggest issue is the power draw, it makes no sense to use heavy graphics on battery power.

I might dwell again into laptop space: use NUC that has Thunderbolt 3 connector and have graphics card in external TB3 case. That way it can be unplugged when not needed and system will use several times less power.
The Following User Says Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 06:57 PM

Thank you. All this info about reducing power use/heat is being noted for the next build. Much appreciated.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,697 Times in 1,381 Posts

After burning thru laptops/desktops I ditched them for a 12” IPad Pro. No boot up time and runs cool as a cucumber. Five years and not a single glitch in use.
The Following User Says Thank You to fistfulladirt For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 12:10 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
After burning thru laptops/desktops I ditched them for a 12 IPad Pro. No boot up time and runs cool as a cucumber. Five years and not a single glitch in use.
True, but the apps for the ipad are more expensive than for windows or android. You can almost get by with Windows or Linux by using good, free apps.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,697 Times in 1,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
True, but the apps for the ipad are more expensive than for windows or android. You can almost get by with Windows or Linux by using good, free apps.
I gladly paid over one thousand dollars to avoid Windows, a wash. Well worth it IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to fistfulladirt For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 05:24 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
I gladly paid over one thousand dollars to avoid Windows, a wash. Well worth it IMO.
Good point
Old 06-09-2020, 09:26 AM
Rider

Thanked 8,881 Times in 1,466 Posts

I use a couple of the microdesktops (sometimes you'll see these referred to as USFF = Ultra Small Form Factor or Micro). One is for our media server at home and the other is my mom's since her tower computer died and she was space limited. One is a Lenovo ThinkCenter and the other is a Dell Optiplex. Both have been flawless and trouble free. I can't comment on the power consumption but as for heat I hear the fan turn on with the media server occassionally but it's rare. Depending on your particular needs you can pick these up with last year's processors and SSDs for a song on eBay.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timberline For This Useful Post: