Mossberg 500 Vs. Remington 870 - Page 5 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mossberg 930 vs. Remington 11-87 Praetorian27 Shotgun Forum 4 01-01-2012 11:36 PM
Remington 870 vs Mossberg 590 A1 Progenitor Shotgun Forum 52 12-31-2011 05:10 AM
Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 DogDoc Shotgun Forum 49 02-26-2011 10:27 AM
Mossberg 590 VS Remington 870 kev Polls and Surveys 41 05-04-2010 12:17 PM
Remington 870 vs Mossberg 590 Flex Firearms General Discussion 26 02-26-2009 12:42 PM
Remington vs. Mossberg okon Rifle Forum 7 12-10-2008 09:22 PM
Remington 870, Mossberg 500 or Mossberg 590 kev Shotgun Forum 16 11-06-2008 02:30 PM
Remington 870 or Mossberg 590? countryboy123 Firearms General Discussion 8 06-19-2008 11:01 PM
Remington 870 and Mossberg 590 kev Firearms General Discussion 0 07-22-2007 04:48 PM

Old 06-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Prepped and Done!

Thanked 4,513 Times in 1,707 Posts

Advertise Here

OP here with an update:

I purchased a Mossberg 535 turkey package a couple of months ago to compare to my Remington 870 Express.

Took it out this weekend for the first time....

Problems.

First let me say that I really like the gun because of its light weight.
I like the fact that it came with 3 chokes and a turkey as well as field barrel.
Like the fiber optic sights.

Unfortunately though the recoil kept ejecting shells from the magazine.
I'd come up empty only to find an unspent shell at my feet. Happened a bunch of times out of 100 rounds shot.

I really want to give this gun another chance, so it's going back to Mossberg.

Whatever the case, my preference will be kept (870 or 535) and the loser will be sold to fund a copy (two is one) of my preferred shotgun.

Will keep y'all posted on the outcome.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Nature is My Medicine

My unit still uses the M500, but only for breaching. It certainly does the trick.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rtlintner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2011, 07:52 PM
zombie response team

Thanked 1,397 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuellerBueller View Post
OP here with an update:

I purchased a Mossberg 535 turkey package a couple of months ago to compare to my Remington 870 Express.

Took it out this weekend for the first time....

Problems.

First let me say that I really like the gun because of its light weight.
I like the fact that it came with 3 chokes and a turkey as well as field barrel.
Like the fiber optic sights.

Unfortunately though the recoil kept ejecting shells from the magazine.
I'd come up empty only to find an unspent shell at my feet. Happened a bunch of times out of 100 rounds shot.

I really want to give this gun another chance, so it's going back to Mossberg.

Whatever the case, my preference will be kept (870 or 535) and the loser will be sold to fund a copy (two is one) of my preferred shotgun.

Will keep y'all posted on the outcome.
Thanks for the update, I have never heard of that happening before. Im sure it will be an easy fix. Still sux that you have to send it back
The Following User Says Thank You to davis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,295 Times in 1,221 Posts

I like both types. I own Mossbergs personally but the Remington are just as nice.The Mossberg are a little better made and have a safety in the right place.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:51 PM

Ive always loved the 590A1 as the go-to shot gun.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:33 PM

You Know I think you get what you pay for. The 870 express is cheap 375ish.. I've had a 870 wingmaster thru numerous seasons of 3" mag handloads lead and steel.. The loads were so hot that it kept a knot and bruise on my second finger because I kept it behind the trigger guard. 45 and 60 day seasons, laying in the mud, an boat. kept giving it a coat of Flat Black Krylon and it is awsome. 1979 vintage. That being said, I wouldn't buy a express, however I have a 870P on the way and will rely on it the same as te old 870,
This lil guy would be AWSOME..
http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/Fir...0Pump/MCS.aspx
Old 06-12-2012, 05:10 PM

I agree with Eagle Scout Survivor, get both. I know that the Mossy 500 is a much better gun that its reputation.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Have gun,will travel

Thanked 7,369 Times in 2,820 Posts

This thread is FULL of win!!!

You guys do realize there are FAR more Remington 870s in the US military than Mossberg 590s, right? The 870 has been in service with the US Military since the 60's. Most are called M870s, and the newest are called MCS (modular combat shotgun).

The reason the 870 is "so much heavier" than the 590? The 870 has a STEEL receiver and the Mossberg has an ALUMINUM receiver.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Paladin* For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Prepped and Done!

Update:

Mossberg sent me a replacement pair of those shell retainer clips (forgot what they're called).
I installed them and it's better, but it still happens from time to time.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 4,975 Times in 2,320 Posts

BB, when you're loading your gun, make suire you're pushing each shell into the mag up to the first knuckle on your thumb. It has to click twice. It has to be pushed past both the shell catch and the shell interrupter. If it's only in one click, the first shell in the tube will always pop out and hit the floor on the next pump. Try it in your backyard. Stick one in only one click and then pump it. Is that possibly the problem you're having? To be honest, I've never seen a Mossy drop shells other than that if the parts weren't screwed around with in some way. It's pretty much an impossible situation. The simple design of the gun says the shell has to cycle past TWO shell stops to get out and those are tripped at different points in the cycling. Having both somehow trip at the same time just doesn't sound possible.

Are you loading one into the mag, pumping it to chamber it and then filling the rest of the mag? Is it possible that last one into the mag is getting loaded only one click?

rich
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Prepped and Done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randkl View Post
BB, when you're loading your gun, make suire you're pushing each shell into the mag up to the first knuckle on your thumb. It has to click twice. It has to be pushed past both the shell catch and the shell interrupter. If it's only in one click, the first shell in the tube will always pop out and hit the floor on the next pump. Try it in your backyard. Stick one in only one click and then pump it. Is that possibly the problem you're having? To be honest, I've never seen a Mossy drop shells other than that if the parts weren't screwed around with in some way. It's pretty much an impossible situation. The simple design of the gun says the shell has to cycle past TWO shell stops to get out and those are tripped at different points in the cycling. Having both somehow trip at the same time just doesn't sound possible.

Are you loading one into the mag, pumping it to chamber it and then filling the rest of the mag? Is it possible that last one into the mag is getting loaded only one click?

rich
Thanks, but I don't think that's the problem.
It will happen midway through a magazine, so it's happening to shells that are way in there.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm going to blame it on operator error.

Every time it happened, it was when I was playing around with skeet doubles and I was probably starting to pump while both the gun and my shoulder were still recoiling from the first shot.
Maybe. dunno. Have to play with it some more.