Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 07-02-2020, 06:13 PM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 12,275 Times in 5,389 Posts

Advertise Here

Interesting choice.

I have always been blessed with good night vision. I never would have thought to use a head lamp as my only tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Well, I like this headlamp because it is very bright and uses an 18650 rechargeable battery, that you can recharge without removing it from the headlamp, so its very convenient.

But its not that I think its the best headlamp in the world or anything, its just the one that I literally have on me. A headlamp is the first thing I put on when I wake up, and the last thing I take off when I go to bed. I own several, but this is my current favorite.

Any one of dozens of headlamp models would work, this is just what I have at the moment.

I've said before, I would rather be in the woods with a headlamp and no shoes, than shoes with no headlamp.

Being able to see what you are doing, and where you are going, is the first and most important survival ability.

If I can see what I'm doing, I can break break, or pick up branches to make a shelter. I can pull juniper or cedar roots out of the ground for cordage. Given enough time to find the right materials, I can make a friction fire. I can make cutting tools from bone, metal (no matter where your are, you will find bits of metal someone has discarded) stone, flint or even wood.

With a light I can signal for help, or find my way out to safety, find water, avoid water, etc. I could even make ONE easy fire with a headlamp....at the cost of the headlamp so it would have to be a life or death sacrifice.

But if I can't SEE what I am doing....I am helpless. I could have an entire pack worth of tools and a rifle....and still be helpless without a light.

They always say your most important tool is the one between your ears....but your brain in isolation isn't very useful. What it's good at is taking in information and making decisions....but without information you can't make good decisions....and the vast majority of the information we use, is visual.

So, of the things on my right now at this moment, headlamp, .38 revolver, leatherman Wave, and iPhone 7, although I would be much better off with all of those together....or even two of them....if I could only have ONE TOOL....that would be the headlamp.
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2020, 09:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,301 Times in 3,571 Posts

Here is the tool I was talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	940500EA-0962-4222-8E0B-E7E35705A244.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	306486  
The Following User Says Thank You to Exarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 09:23 PM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 12,275 Times in 5,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exarmyguy View Post
Here is the tool I was talking about.
That thing is pretty cool!
Old 07-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,301 Times in 3,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Nomad View Post
That thing is pretty cool!
The handle rotates to a pistol position so hand sawing is easier . I have a 9" pruning blade ,a carbide grit blade also. A couple more drill bits. The little envelope is a pack of 9 industrial sewing needles. I just run the thread through it off the roll not like on my sewing all ,speedy stitcher. I have a different drill chuck that's smaller but it uses a wrench to tighten it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Exarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 02:04 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,064 Times in 8,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Nomad View Post
Interesting choice.

I have always been blessed with good night vision. I never would have thought to use a head lamp as my only tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Well, I like this headlamp because it is very bright and uses an 18650 rechargeable battery, that you can recharge without removing it from the headlamp, so its very convenient.

But its not that I think its the best headlamp in the world or anything, its just the one that I literally have on me. A headlamp is the first thing I put on when I wake up, and the last thing I take off when I go to bed. I own several, but this is my current favorite.

Any one of dozens of headlamp models would work, this is just what I have at the moment.

I've said before, I would rather be in the woods with a headlamp and no shoes, than shoes with no headlamp.

Being able to see what you are doing, and where you are going, is the first and most important survival ability.

If I can see what I'm doing, I can break break, or pick up branches to make a shelter. I can pull juniper or cedar roots out of the ground for cordage. Given enough time to find the right materials, I can make a friction fire. I can make cutting tools from bone, metal (no matter where your are, you will find bits of metal someone has discarded) stone, flint or even wood.

With a light I can signal for help, or find my way out to safety, find water, avoid water, etc. I could even make ONE easy fire with a headlamp....at the cost of the headlamp so it would have to be a life or death sacrifice.

But if I can't SEE what I am doing....I am helpless. I could have an entire pack worth of tools and a rifle....and still be helpless without a light.

They always say your most important tool is the one between your ears....but your brain in isolation isn't very useful. What it's good at is taking in information and making decisions....but without information you can't make good decisions....and the vast majority of the information we use, is visual.

So, of the things on my right now at this moment, headlamp, .38 revolver, leatherman Wave, and iPhone 7, although I would be much better off with all of those together....or even two of them....if I could only have ONE TOOL....that would be the headlamp.
I wouldn't be upset if a headlamp was my only tool.

We tend to have lots of snakes, spiders and other things I would not want to touch at night.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 10:42 AM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 33,966 Times in 11,882 Posts

In the woods, I do not think there is an answer to the one favorite tool. I insist when backpacking that everyone in my party have at least:
  1. Compass - and know how to use it
  2. Emergency Whistle - that they take when nature calls.
  3. Map.
Maybe not too sexy but there it is.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:28 PM

Kbar and Gerber Deisel
Old 07-03-2020, 10:22 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,306 Times in 1,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
I THOUGHT this was a thread on the ONE tool only if you had to go deep
anyway,
I still choose a good axe
but
something that goes with me EVERYWHERE no matter the occasion is the Victornox Herculese. 4" lock blade with larger tools than usual for Swiss Army.
A good, sharp, full size axe (with a file)is the best choice I've seen. A good pocket knife is always a given if you have your pants on, and should never count as an extra tool....
Old Yesterday, 05:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,245 Times in 4,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vile Papist View Post
A good pocket knife is always a given if you have your pants on, and should never count as an extra tool....
Agreed!

If in a boreal forest, an axe would be my single-tool choice. Just about everywhere else, a machete (and sharpener/file/Diamond Duo-Fold). Of course a few "large" knives to choose from. I don't necessarily like to carry them, but if I knew I was going to be dropped somewhere, any one of these I would be comfortable with:

Of course, if the location was unknown and I just wanted a one-tool system to grab and go, my Habilis Bush-Tool:

Yeah, one-tool with “accessories”…I’m cheating, but that’s how I would survive

ROCK6