Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-22-2016, 11:50 PM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

Thanked 2,895 Times in 1,190 Posts

Advertise Here

I'm currently in ABQ, east mountains, but grew up and plan to retire soon back to the Farmington/Pagosa-ish area. Preppers usually very discrete and not much for public advertising, but I've recently wondered what kinds of groups existed here in NM that might be of some mutual benefit. Maybe something like this-(online interactions) might make a good beginning to something that could be a mutual benefit going forward. I envision an online discussion group that we could organize and formalize a bit, and In the long term maybe set up training weekends. I, for example, am an LEO, firearms trainer, gunsmith, silversmith, metal smith, (MS) wildlife biologist, hunting guide, newbie beekeeper, family business growing up well drilling and a reloading/gun shop. I teach survival skills and Hunter Ed. Dabbling in many skills-aquoponics, hydroponics, livestock, horsemanship, advanced food preservation, wind power, wood-gas, construction, plumbing, mechanic. My hobby is collecting skills. On the flip side, I'm desperate to find a mentor to teach me the ins and outs of Ham Radio communications, photovoltaic systems, and countless other skills.

My point is, each of us has something to offer the other. Even for those who don't think we've skill enough to teach a weekend class- You could pull in others who do ( I could bring in some real pros to put together a great beekeeping tutorial weekend, even though I don't consider MYSELF skilled enough to teach about it.), Some of us may be able to provide support to these types of get together, trainings- like hosting them.

I think this forum ( this thread) may be a good start to see what kind of interest may be found here in NM for that type of corroborative group. Maybe other groups already exist, I've not found any. I concur with those who have said that they prefer not to get involved with any group where politics is a central element, there are plenty of those groups folks can join independently.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2016, 09:56 PM

Default Who is here in New Mexico!

I am lucky to live here. I live north of Santa Fe. The mountains near by. Great bug out location with in 30 minutes of where I live. It has sources of water, orchards, and plenty of game. What do you have in mind?
The Following User Says Thank You to para54 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2016, 12:29 PM
Trapper

We live in Clayton, a tiny town surrounded by ranches. It's quiet, peaceful, and isolated. They closed the road between dalhart Tx and here a couple times this winter, and closed the road between here and Raton Pass a few times. I love it here. Pain in the ass if you need more than basic groceries or dollar general stuff. It's around 100 miles to a Walmart. I love it though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2016, 01:48 PM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

Quote:
Originally Posted by para54 View Post
What do you have in mind?
I was responding to a thought posed by Soocom1 in a previous post, so this is effectively a discussion to determine what each of us would have in mind.

Personally, I'd love to have more connections in my life to people who share my thoughts on preparedness and self sufficiency, and I have gained so much knowledge and skills from my many friends. BUT I'm pretty leery of reaching out to people on here as it's bad OPSEC and we really have no way of knowing if the other is a fool, or A-hole, or extremist that we might find ourselves stuck in a personal relationship with. I think our discussion centers around ways we might be able to 1. identify who is local and nearby, 2. learn some about them collectively online here in this forum, 3. maybe set up some type of no-pressure public-place meeting, to figuratively "sniff each other's buttz" 4. maybe ultimately move onto some sort of group activates where we could share skills. 5. maybe come away with some real and positive connection with people we didn't have before.

I'm not a huge joiner, and judging by the minimal response to this thread, it seems like most here aren't either. I'm just hanging around in this thread occasionally to see what comes of it.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:14 AM

I'd be open to the idea of meeting others. I'm in the Albuquerque area.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:45 PM

[QUOTE]
Personally, I'd love to have more connections in my life to people who share my thoughts on preparedness and self sufficiency, and I have gained so much knowledge and skills from my many friends. BUT I'm pretty leery of reaching out to people on here as it's bad OPSEC and we really have no way of knowing if the other is a fool, or A-hole, or extremist that we might find ourselves stuck in a personal relationship with. I think our discussion centers around ways we might be able to 1. identify who is local and nearby, 2. learn some about them collectively online here in this forum, 3. maybe set up some type of no-pressure public-place meeting, to figuratively "sniff each other's buttz" 4. maybe ultimately move onto some sort of group activates where we could share skills. 5. maybe come away with some real and positive connection with people we didn't have before.
[QUOTE/]
hahahaha! Some true words.
Although, judging by your Fantastic mr fox avatar, we'd get along just fine. I'm down in Las Cruces
Old 07-16-2016, 11:42 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,051 Posts

I'm in the Abq area. I would be interested. There used to be a group here via meet up several years ago. I enjoyed the things I was able to attend. They held classes on various things and it offered opportunities to practice skills. Or just "chat time".
Old 07-17-2016, 12:12 AM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriendroo View Post
I'm in the Abq area. I would be interested. There used to be a group here via meet up several years ago. I enjoyed the things I was able to attend. They held classes on various things and it offered opportunities to practice skills. Or just "chat time".
Yeah, I've poked around on the inter-webs looking to see if there was anything like that around here. I might be interested in attending something like that, but I'm too busy living, learning, and prepping to take on starting something like that up.

I don't know though, thinking of it now it might be something that could turn out to be worth the effort. Maybe in the winter months. I'll think on it some.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:39 PM

Default Eastrn N. M.

I am in Clovis. Drop a note.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:03 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fried Rice View Post
I am in Clovis. Drop a note.
I think you are the closest to me.im in Clayton area.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:30 PM

Hello all!

New to the state, and transplant from Canada. Just moved to the Las Vegas area.

First off, I have to say what a fantastic state this is! Everyone has been so friendly and welcoming. Quite possibly this is the most beautiful place I've lived.

I'm interested in meeting local people to start a shooting club? I have a membership at Raton as my passion is the 1000yd game. But I'd still like to practice my pistol and 22lr someplace close by on a more regular basis.

I do have a survivalist mentality, but I'm not a hardcore prepped.

Anyone else in the area?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to michaelkirkland For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2016, 09:16 AM

Me, too. Off Del Rey.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:36 AM

Is that north west of Las Vegas?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2016, 09:38 PM

Hey did anyone read on KOB website about the "domestic terrorist" who tried to blow up the antennas on Sandia Peak last Sunday night? KOB was the only news reporting it online that I saw, and it was kind of hidden at that. Balloon Fiesta just started, too. A guy came up there in a white van with homemade explosives, broke into the gated area and the locked building. He set off one explosive and caused damage. Was ready to set up for more and take down all of the radio, tv, and comm antennas, but was interrupted by two guys that happened by. He took off in his car. They found the van (and a dog inside) burned up on the mesa. I know there are cameras up there, I'm sure we won't hear any more about this. Geesh...I'm a ham radio operator, and our main antenna is up there, too.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:04 PM
Trapper

I had not heard about that.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:24 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,558 Times in 492 Posts

OK.. Well apparently because of certain discussions I had recently, I am feeling obliged to respond out on this discussion.

First: I absconded from this site because of a very hateful exchange with some other members over a petty and silly matter. That has faded. I however was not the one with the hate, it was more a matter of ego.

Secondly, I felt obliged to pursue some other events in life that quite frankly did not meld well with diversions on a personal level. (I wont discuss those)

But alas I was to return and post again.

Third: For the record, getting together under a banner of survival aspects would be very interesting indeed.

I also have no tolerance for extremist, or racially separatist concepts or ideas.

I am realizing that the SHTF scenario is growing more real by the day. I will write and post on that later, but the election, the Russian moves, the China situation, Aleppo, various banking aspects, and other points are now closing together in a very volatile mix. The time to connect and link together is now.

But again. If your a white supremist, Nazi sympathizer, white lives matter, The order,or any of the other various fringe groups, a member of the FBI, CIA, DEA, ATF, DoD, or any other Acronymal Gov. agency go somewhere else. I don't have time for that worthless and pathetic vitriol, and don't need it in my life.

If you want it simply as a get together and shoot up the hills thing, there are plenty of gun ranges.

I am thinking more on networking and teaching-learning.

If everyone is willing, I would say at least some time at a restaurant or coffee house (Evil Coffee Empire) or such would work well as a M&G.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:12 AM

Default M&G

Where would you propose meeting?
Old 10-11-2016, 01:14 AM

Ikean. Do you ever come down to Clovis?
Old 10-11-2016, 02:40 AM
Tactical Bacon!

holy [email protected]&! I hadn't head about that. Crazy.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:17 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fried Rice View Post
Ikean. Do you ever come down to Clovis?
I was down there last month on an errand, only for an hour and then headed home. I took the risk and ate samosas at that Indian truck stop in san Jon. Best samosas I've had.ive only been there a few times.