Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-05-2020, 07:32 AM
Prepared in NH

Thanked 5,607 Times in 3,397 Posts
Default Start Your Garden Preps NOW

Advertise Here

Directly Related to The Coronavirus Situation (and especially poignant for those living in Northern Regions):

If you have not started yet, I'd suggest that anyone that is planning to either "start" a new garden or "re-start" their annual garden = IMHO, get all the items that you need NOW.

Ultimately, it would have been better to already have started that process, but, its not too late to get moving on things ASAP.

There are many that are home and not working and are now (with the warmer weather) starting seed-plants, prepping their garden beds, etc.
There are also many that are having an "oh sh*t" moment and thinking; "I better start a garden that I always thought about, to have additional food preps".

So yes = there is already a (local and online) run that has started on all things related to gardens, seeds, etc.

-that is all-
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2020, 11:18 AM
Outside the box

Thanked 7,700 Times in 2,163 Posts

Good points, thanks for sharing!
Old 04-05-2020, 11:22 AM
Trapper

Thanked 2,099 Times in 637 Posts

I agree.
The victory gardens are perhaps a bit passé, but relevant now.
But again I point out that the lockdowns are happening JUST AS the stimulus is suppose to go out and right at planting season.

If you have a garden, great, start working it.
If you don't, there is always a way to start one now.
This is for EVERYBODY WORLD WIDE!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to soocom1 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2020, 11:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,311 Times in 1,946 Posts

I started before this issue got hot but I did modify my planting to include potatoes that I normally buy at the store.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spade For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 11:41 AM
Mod Certified PITA!

Thanked 21,385 Times in 7,705 Posts

On line seed stores are being hammered. Selection is limited and/or delayed, if things are available at all.

I haven't gone into a physical seed store to check what they are like.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 12:00 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 14,429 Times in 6,217 Posts

All seeds have been started.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 12:02 PM
Wildlife Proctologist

Thanked 6,403 Times in 1,611 Posts

I bet there will be a lot of first year raised bed gardens this year. Our seeds are sprouting but not time to set out just yet where I am.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beaner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 02:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,838 Times in 3,912 Posts

I stopped at DG last night (first time in 2 or 3 weeks). They had a double sided seed display out.

A few months ago I scored all of last years leftover seeds for a mere 1˘ a packet on clearance. I got around 100 packs. So they aren't exactly a hot seller here (I think because Walmart sells the same packets for 20˘, but they are 50˘ at DG, and Walmart has a lot bigger selection).

Last night almost all the veggies were gone. There was plenty of Okra (no one grows that up north) and a good amount of flowers. But hardly any veggies left.

They did, oddly, have plenty of potting soil and seed growing tools. I'm betting a lot of people are thinking they'll just dig a hole and plant some seeds.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 02:55 PM

I went by the Home Depot in S. Austin, TX this morning. The seed display was still completely stocked. I picked up perhaps four dozen packs of seeds, mostly just the heirloom seeds. I picked up another dozen seedlings including peppers, squash, eggplant, parsley, etc. I've already got a couple of dozen set out in containers.

I live in a pretty small 5th wheel so I'm limited in what I can get, and I have to use containers because, if my job goes under, I have to be able to pick up and move to wherever the work is, but I can do something. I'm hoping to buy a larger 5th wheel toy hauler in the next few months where I can have a "gardening shed" in the garage, move my plants in during bad weather (and perhaps even have grow lights), and move a lot of plants should I need to travel. In the meanwhile I'll start what I can. I've tried to get started faster but life threw me a couple of curve balls in the past decade. Fortunately, and with God's help, I'm better prepared than many. (I had about five grand in gold and silver that I had to see about six months ago after I lost my job! The timing was horrible, but it did what I needed it to do when I needed it done.)

I already had an "heirloom seed kit" in a vacuum packed #10 can and ordered two more from Amazon. I'm picking up more supplies weekly both because I'm trying to not "hoard", leaving some for the next person, and because I have to spread my buys around to different areas. Last check my big spend was a 50qt ARB refrigerator to expand my cold storage. This check my big spend was a Berkey water filter and some more 9mm and 45acp JHP and some .30-30 ammo and the heirloom and local seeds. The check before last my big spend was on upgrading my medical supplies, get home kit, firearms holsters and magazines, and some basic "prepper/survivalist" supplies I'd allowed myself to do without previously.

I think this is going to go on for MUCH longer than the "normies" think it's going to. The Great Depression lasted from about 1929 to 1939. I think even if modern medicine develops vaccines to combat this virus soon, the financial and sociological impact will have already been done. We were on the brink of a massive recession anyway. If this lasts less than ten years before it's over I'll be shocked. An unfortunately all too likely case is that it just snowballs from medical to financial to environmental, disaster after disaster. Did anyone note the tornados and earthquakes we've had recently? (Politics aside...) Environmental scientists are concerned that we will see dramatic shifts in climate in the next decade due to massive environmental change such as the loss of the ice shelf.

Regardless, I don't think it's necessary that I rush out and buy up all the TP or seeds or .45ACP JHP in town this week. I think those of us who not (or are no longer) blind, have several months at least to finalize preparations before the "normies" realize that this was only a precursor to a much darker time. I have friends who aren't even "prepping" now, assuming that in four to six weeks all will regress to the norm, fashion shows with heroin chic models will continue, raves will go on, and it'll be time to buy a new BMW.

I think it's entirely possible that, by the time the world at large realizes this is not a temporary solution, and that our "just in time" culture is both never enough (of what is important) and always too much (of the superficial), that my container garden will be going strong and I'll be able to help my family and friends.

Above all I've been soul searching about how to act if this is the "end of days". What actions would I take today if I am to be judged tomorrow?

Peace and blessings to all,

Kate

"By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols... So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways... I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds." Revelation 2:20-23.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Elisavaet For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 03:06 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,824 Times in 682 Posts

I had planned to till mine back up a couple weeks ago but had other projects going. Then rain and more rain followed by a couple nights that dropped below freezing so might have lucked out. Getting my starters going today and till tomorrow.

Trying to talk my buddies into starting on theirs but who knows what will happen there.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:12 PM
Target Shooter

First round of seeds are planted under a T5 grow light and sprouting! Hydroponic indoor garden will start up soon as will second round of seeds. Apple trees trimmed as well as grape vines and blue berry bushes. Hoping for a strong harvest this year!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Azreal For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 03:23 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 41,586 Times in 8,175 Posts

Okra, peas, beans, corn and squash already coming up.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 03:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,387 Times in 4,620 Posts

my garden is started, hope we don't get a late freeze...have kale, lettuce, cauliflower , pak choi, and turnips in the ground, have a bunch of starter plants in the greenhouse waiting to be put in the garden

we failed to spay the fruit trees in time ( no time, or bad weather or both) , so now they are blooming ( can't spray because of the bees) , hopefully we can spay them later and still get fruit
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 03:34 PM
Trapper

Thanked 2,099 Times in 637 Posts

Working on cleaning up the acequia today. Will continue through the week and take a load off the folks come next Sat. for annual ditch day.

The water is there, now I need a tiller and plant.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to soocom1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 05:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,838 Times in 3,912 Posts

If you don't already have a canner and a food dehydrator, now would probably be the best time to get them. Canners have already begun to become out of stock on Amazon, though at the moment there seem to be plenty.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=canner&ref=nb_sb_noss

Notice that the first 2 recommended products (not sponsored ones that were paid to be there, but bestselling) are now only available from 3rd parties. The others will shortly follow, I'm sure.

For the newbies (we all were at one time), remember that though a pressure canner will double as a pressure cooker, a pressure cooker (like an instant pot) will not double as a pressure canner.

I would also highly recommend considering a steam juicer for tomato sauce, applesauce, grape juice. As well as a food mill to get separate the seeds and skins.

And don't forget the canning jars! People are going to be buying these like crazy in the coming months. Don't forget extra lids! The metal lids that come with the jars are only intended for one time use. You may get a second or even a third use out of them if you are careful but it's still not recommended and you'll probably see some broken seals. Tattler lids can be reused many times.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 06:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,097 Times in 659 Posts

I'm hearing reports from people like Ice Age Farmer that some areas will not sell seeds any longer. There was even word that the state of Vermont was not allowing seed selling.
Have any of you seen any evidence of this?
Old 04-05-2020, 06:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 5,297 Times in 1,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
I'm hearing reports from people like Ice Age Farmer that some areas will not sell seeds any longer. There was even word that the state of Vermont was not allowing seed selling.
My favorite seed place is not selling seeds for some reason and the one place I found that was selling seeds stopped selling retail. It has been two weeks and still have not received my order.

About canning lids: I've watched stock of them run low at various online places. I ended up getting some on ebay. Don't know about local stores as I won't set foot in one!
Old 04-05-2020, 07:04 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 41,586 Times in 8,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
My local farm supply stores are stock full of seeds. So far I have gone by three different stores and all of them have seeds in stock.

The problem I have, none of them are able to get chicks. One store got two shipments, but he told me no more chicks will be shipped until May.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 07:12 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,581 Times in 428 Posts

My garden is well under way but I’m zone 9. We have disgusting gumbo soil. I had purchased couple of small trees a few years ago and today husband cut them in half giving me 4 rings for 4 more small raised beds. I probably have 1000 square feet of raised beds for fruit trees and veggies.

Most of my seed was ordered by January from Baker once I saw covid19. For years I’ve been looking for varieties that do well in our area that are OP. I have good winter and summer squash that squash vine borers don’t like. Peppers I like, eggplant, okra, tomato’s. Still searching for a good melon and cucumber. Maybe this year group will do well.

I grow year round including staggered fruit. My trees are still small.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grannygrump For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 07:12 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,581 Times in 428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
My local farm supply stores are stock full of seeds. So far I have gone by three different stores and all of them have seeds in stock.

The problem I have, none of them are able to get chicks. One store got two shipments, but he told me no more chicks will be shipped until May.
Have you tried Craig list?
The Following User Says Thank You to Grannygrump For This Useful Post: