Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-24-2020, 01:13 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 8,274 Times in 3,373 Posts
Default To those who do not worry, a question of when you will.

Advertise Here

So, to those who are sure this is a big nothingburger:

When would you start to worry? With numbers. At which point would you say: "this is a problem, we need to take action".

Is it when it gets to a certain treshhold of deaths, infected? When someone you know dies? When you see people dying? When the military starts to transport coffins out of area's as they're doing in Italy? When you're under full marshal law quarantine? When's the moment where you would draw the line?

This isn't to troll, but i would actually like to know at which point those people would change their mind, since all they're saying now is: it's nothing, business as usual, just let everyone catch it and be over with and it won't be so bad. No indication of at which point they would see it as something to be addressed.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 02:12 PM
D. Gibbons is a bad man

Thanked 4,611 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_Rafe View Post

When would you start to worry? With numbers. At which point would you say: "this is a problem, we need to take action".

Is it when it gets to a certain treshhold of deaths, infected? When someone you know dies? When you see people dying? When the military starts to transport coffins out of area's as they're doing in Italy? When you're under full marshal law quarantine? When's the moment where you would draw the line?

This isn't to troll, but i would actually like to know at which point those people would change their mind, since all they're saying now is: it's nothing, business as usual, just let everyone catch it and be over with and it won't be so bad. No indication of at which point they would see it as something to be addressed.
Its hardly a nothing burger and will most likely impact my life through loss of loved ones and economic harm but I am still not going to get my panties in a twist.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Asag For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 02:15 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,562 Times in 475 Posts

They'll keep moving the goal posts
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to PeterWiggin For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 02:19 PM
Perspective provider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asag View Post
Its hardly a nothing burger and will most likely impact my life through loss loved ones and economic harm but I am still not going to get my panties in a twist.
So at which point would you worry? That's the whole idea behind this question.

I'll add my viewpoint btw: i don't quite worry that much for myself, but i am worried for friends and family.

From what i see, this has the potential to be a giant disaster, or a blip on the radar. It'll depend how people react. In some countries, it already is a giant disaster. If we do nothing, our healthcare won't be able to handle all cases. If we can do something to lower the transmission rate, this can be a bit more deadly flu type situation. Still bad, but manageable.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 02:21 PM
Some guy on the internet

Thanked 5,806 Times in 2,150 Posts

i'll start worrying with the nukes start flying...or if yellowstone blows, lol, i'm out at my ranch and everyone out here is on at least 80 acres, no worries about the virus out here.

the real problem is going to be the economy after all this is over, the people who don't own their things are going to be in big trouble and it's going to take at least a decade to recover from this.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to loki81 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 02:25 PM
D. Gibbons is a bad man

Thanked 4,611 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
So at which point would you worry? That's the whole idea behind this question.

I'll add my viewpoint btw: i don't quite worry that much for myself, but i am worried for friends and family.

From what i see, this has the potential to be a giant disaster, or a blip on the radar. It'll depend how people react. In some countries, it already is a giant disaster. If we do nothing, our healthcare won't be able to handle all cases. If we can do something to lower the transmission rate, this can be a bit more deadly flu type situation. Still bad, but manageable.
I won’t worry and then I will be dead. I only sweat the small stuff, the near death stuff seems to trigger my creativity.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Asag For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 02:30 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,562 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki81 View Post

the real problem is going to be the economy after all this is over, the people who don't own their things are going to be in big trouble and it's going to take at least a decade to recover from this.
As i said on page one of the original virus thread... The consequences of a pandemic cannot be separated from the virus.

Pandemics affect more than physical health
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to PeterWiggin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 02:32 PM
Target Shooter

We have very few cases here in NH, yet today they setup hospitals with the National guard at a local high school and a local college. That was a bit disturbing.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Azreal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 02:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,675 Times in 2,108 Posts

Quote:

IC, whats up with Germany's numbers of sick and dead.. they just dont seem to add up, as in, they donr seem to be true. Are people talking about that over there?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 02:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,336 Times in 2,041 Posts

To me its not a matter of worry,but change.I still go to work,go home at night,same as always.I'm sure I'll be affected,but there is nothing I can change.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 02:43 PM
Perspective provider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
IC, whats up with Germany's numbers of sick and dead.. they just dont seem to add up, as in, they donr seem to be true. Are people talking about that over there?
I'm in Belgium, so can't really say. Think Cephallous or something like that is from Germany.
The Following User Says Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 02:43 PM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 34,069 Times in 11,920 Posts

Quote:
When would you start to worry?
Implied premise: there is such a time to worry. Please quote that verse in Scripture.

In my daily devotional reading yesterday in Deuteronomy, there was an NLT study note for 1:19-21
"Don't be afraid! Don't be discouraged!" The expression 'Don't worry' and its variations is the most common command in Scripture.
Let me add, we should ACT prudently AT ALL TIMES. But we should never worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWiggin View Post
They'll keep moving the goal posts
We are not getting out of life alive. We are meat covered souls traveling @ 55,000 mph through the lifeless vacuum of space on this small rock. What are you worried about?

The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty.
Proverbs 27:12
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 02:51 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 60,221 Times in 13,609 Posts

Quote:
Just because some of us criticize the hair-on-fire doomer panic and grossly inflated fatality percentages doesn't mean we think it's a nothingburger.

The world has been in lock-down for less than a week. Another week should tell if what we are doing is working. We as in me too.

What's obvious to me is that the very high infection rates come from places with very high population densities and where people are bum-hole to elbow most of the time.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 02:55 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 22,610 Times in 6,196 Posts

Talk like that is dangerous, this C-Virus is dangerous. To not treat it as such is completely irresponsible. You think this is just a conspiracy to take total control? What is there to control when the world falls apart because of the total destruction of the world economy? This is why people need to take this seriously, If you do not believe the numbers whether infected or death rates, at least act like you have enough intelligence to look at the economic destruction of every nation on the planet, That alone should speak volumes to you.

Last edited by Aceoky; 03-24-2020 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: Rm deleted quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 02:55 PM
Socially Distant

Thanked 14,639 Times in 2,577 Posts

Since the over whelming number of deaths are happening to people over age 80 with compromised immune systems, I won't worry until I reach that age (in 10 years).

I refuse to sit in the house and wring my hands like most of the sheep.

Old and sickly please self quarantine and let the rest of us get back to work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SurvivalOfTheFit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 03:09 PM
Prepared

We pleaded with my parents to return as they are at a home about 1200 miles from my place and my sisters. They both said they are watching the news and if they need to they will come home. When asked what their tipping point was neither gave a definitive concrete answer. I do not remember the exact words but it amounted to when they "feel" they should. By the time that happens it would be too late I pointed out.

I think many will not admit that this is very serious(not the end of mankind) until it is too late. They will have no one to blame but themselves but that will not stop them from trying.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BCseacow83 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 03:13 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 7,709 Times in 2,169 Posts

We're mostly adults here; act like it. You can speak your thoughts, opinions/stance without trolling/flaming/mocking and name calling of other members.

This goes no matter "which side " you happen to fall on, you think it is major, you're not sure or you think it is "nothing" you can still treat the other members as you'd wish to be treated. We are all in this together not matter what it is (or isn't)

Last edited by Aceoky; 03-24-2020 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: add clarity
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Aceoky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 03:31 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 40,705 Times in 9,419 Posts

Death toll is now 6x that of the 9/11/01 attacks. We're at 18,200. Increasing exponentially. 100,000 by May.
Infected numbers are confirmed at almost 1/2 million. We'll reach 1 million by April. 10 million by May.
Nearly all markets are impacted, mostly negatively. Jobs, equity and fixed indexes, oil, precious metals, bitcoin, etc. Retirements and savings hit badly. Government will be spending TRILLIONS of dollars which devalue currency thru vast inflation and add on to the debt...

How can anyone NOT be worried about the micro and macro impacts?

Last edited by Aceoky; 03-24-2020 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: name calling
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 03:43 PM

This is serious, but I do not and will not worry.
It's very serious, but I am not afraid.
I will do my level best to follow lawful orders put out by our President, the CDC, or anyone with the authority to issue them.
Whatever is done will not save a single life. At best it will postpone death for a time for some people.
I pray every day that people would understand what some of us believe. It would make this life a lot more peaceful if not more pleasant.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oneputt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 03:43 PM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 34,069 Times in 11,920 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
This goes no matter "which side " you happen to fall on, you think it is major ... OR
How in the world can anyone think this is not major? Correct me if I am wrong but I believe this is the 1st time the World Health Organization ever declared a global pandemic.

From that flows many things. I am in a State that issued the other day a "Stay At Home" Quarantine for all but essential needs. Business around the world is put on hold.

So, while this is major, I have probably been one of the more outspoken of the 'keep your wits about you,' keep things in perspective camp. I do not see this as any kind of contradiction. A couple of weeks ago I relayed the story of being a passenger as the driver turned Left toward an 18-wheeler turning left. That is, my life could be ended by something unrelated to what all the fuss is about.

PEACE
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post: