Survivalist Forum banner

Everybody likes the 9mm, not too many people like the 10mm

3K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  NW GUY 
#1 ·
The 9mm is the most popular caliber and with this current Coronavirus crisis going on its sold out in just about all gun shops, or at least the gun shops I've been to and I've been to many in the last few days. This isn't a problem for me since I've got buckets full of 9mm ammo that I had before the crisis but what I don't get is why more people don't like the big brother of the 9mm, the 10mm. The 10mm is one of my favorite calibers, and while I do think the 9mm is a decent caliber, I like the 10mm much better.

Anyway, there are some advantages to having a not so popular caliber as one of my favorite calibers. For one thing, they didn't completely disappear off the shelves like the 9mm did in this current crisis so I was able to buy some. While the 10mm does have a greater recoil and might be harder to control than the 9mm, it does have much greater power and is more likely to stop a bad guy.

#2 ·
10mm is fairly popular in Alaska, for bear problems.

Reactions: zumhug
#8 ·
50 rounds killed it? :confused:

Don't think I could ever trust a firearm that crapped the bed that fast with factory ammo...

As far as this thread is concerned - I carry a 9mm Beretta when I want something that holds a good number of rounds otherwise I will take a 1911 in 45ACP any day of the week over it.

If it ever gets to the zombie apocalypse point I am carrying my 460 Rowland 1911. :)

#17 ·
The Springfield story surprises me given that most reputable gun manufacturers know that shooters are a close group who chat a lot and manufacturers cannot deal with bad PR.

I've had two issues with guns that I've had. One was, what I'm guessing, a burr on the feed ramp on my AR-10 from RRA. It was gouging the bullet itself when loading. Sent it in, they sent me a new gun no questions asked. The second, was issues with my Ruger SR556. I was shooting reloads and it didn't like them (although two other AR's at the range were eating the stuff up with no problem. Sent that gun in and they more or less said, "don't use reloads" but sent me another set of the Troy battle sights and another soft care. Both cases were outstanding customer service.

I'd really push back on Springfield. Let them know you intend to share your story on a couple of popular firearm forums if they don't address this at their cost and see what they say. Otherwise, I wouldn't give them a penny more business. Factory ammo is manufactured to very specific tolerances and I find it damn near impossible the load was over-pressurized. That's a huge potential liability to ammo makers so they are very careful about making sure their product is spot on.

Just hearing your story now will keep me away from them as I was considering a hellcat as a CCW.

#24 ·
I let Springfield know how unhappy I was with their decision. Their response was non at all. I have them a full week to respond. Now I will let every person I know, every gun show I go to, every forum I visit, every range I go to that Springfield dropped the ball with their customer service. They are nothing like what I got out of Ruger’s customer service.

#23 ·
Well, I know I’m going to make a change in the future for one of my travel guns. I was only supposed to be up here in VA until February, but now it looks my move back to GA is going to be the end of April and possibly pushed further due to impacts on the DoD from the Coronavirus. Anyways, I only brought two smaller CCW handguns, and both in 9mm. I also have an AR pistol and small J-Frame. I have enough ammo even though I’m just renting a room.

I was kicking myself for not at least bringing a larger handgun, at least my Glock 19. However, I may do some additions on my Glock 23 and add an extra .357 Sig barrel and pick up a .22LR conversion kit. That would at least give me .22LR, 9mm, .40S&W, and Sig .357. While not always ideal, I could likely find one of those other non-9mm calibers in a time like this.

Having other options is always good in a situation like this and it's paid off for in the past as well when 9mm and .45 were scarce and plenty of .40S&W and .357 Sig on the shelves.

The only impact right now is no training, but work conditions have kind of limited that right now anyways…pretty sad when I have no worries about ammo and more about TP!

ROCK6

#25 ·
Bought a EAA Witness steel frame 10mm - 20 years ago.
Plan was to reload for it. The gun was heavy and the ammo expensive.
I sold it off before ever reloading - 10 years later.

I could see owning a 10mm in Alaska. Really have no use for one here in Missouri. I carry a 9mm everywhere and have a ton of 9mm ammo.

Also my 357 mag revolvers do everything the 10mm can do.

#27 ·
MY ONLY connection to the 10mm

RIGHT AFTER Colt came out with the Delta Elite, I was at a competition shoot and Colt was one of the shoot sponsors. So, I am wearing my Gold Cup and one of the Colt guys spots it and says to me " You try the Delta in 10mm and you'll give up the .45"
"Why?"
"Because it is a better load with more energy and velocity..etc.."

I looked at him and said.. "For serious work I carry the Speer 200gr HP moving out the barrel at 1200fps. I don't think I am giving up anything to the 10 and my bullet is bigger in diameter. "
He looked at me, looked at my GC, and said "Never mind.":D:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.