Will the Crash Impact Gun Prices? - Page 5 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2020, 04:01 PM
SeekingTruth SeekingTruth is offline
Living Simple
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 992
Thanks: 1,479
Thanked 989 Times in 552 Posts
Default



Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.edler View Post
It's wrong. Period. That's why you're no longer doing business there. Stuff like this is like the bad guy from Lethal Weapon hiding behind "diplomatic immunity", dishonestly using the best of our constructs against us like a loophole because we're too afraid to make very specific exceptions out of fear of a slippery slope. A guy buying all the bread from every store in a 50 mile radius, creating a shortage and reselling for 5x the price... is technically protected? All I've got to say is, IT'S JUST BEEN REVOKED!
I don't normally respond to people who make emotional responses, while wearing blinders, but there's a difference between disagreeing with someone about something, and claiming that what they are doing is "wrong". You are not the authority, and neither am I. I don't do business with them, because I don't agree with what they are doing, but not because what they are doing is "wrong".

If what you are saying is correct, no business should even be able to make a profit, no matter the markup. I've been around the world long enough to have noticed, there was a time when 30% was the normal markup, and now it seems that 50% and even 100%, possibly more, is the norm now. Does that mean all those business' are "wrong" as well? No, of course not. It means they "think" they need to make a higher profit margin, and if that's what they want to do, then capitalism grants them the ability to do that.

This "I'm right and you're wrong" mentality is exactly why this country is in the spot it's in. I'm guessing you are just a bit more spun up about things, because you just got started in this. Some of us have been awaiting, and watching this sort of stuff for a long time (years if not decades) and are ready to weather these types of situations.

If some knucklehead wants to buy all the bread and sell it for 5x the going rate, guess what, I won't be buying any bread. It's really pretty simple. The "panic buyers" are the problem. If there's no market for whatever item, people won't be able to "price gouge".

Just to clarify, this is not a response, trying to pick a fight with you, it's just rational thinking, IMO.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeekingTruth For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 07:54 PM
mark.edler mark.edler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 51
Thanks: 7
Thanked 54 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingTruth View Post
Just to clarify, this is not a response, trying to pick a fight with you, it's just rational thinking, IMO.
Quote:
I don't normally respond to people who make emotional responses, while wearing blinders
Well, that was pretty funny. Like saying "no offense" and then proceeding to do exactly that. Don't put a little disclaimer at the end and try to avoid the horns... you did the dirty work, now you're getting them. Don't address someone like that and not expect a response. I dated a girl who did that bait and switch c**p, it got old, fast.

I'll lead with this: Don't lecture me on emotion and rational thinking, you have no idea what I do for a second job and what I deal with taking care of a family member with mental health issues. Save that cowpie for whenever you get in a debate with lefties, you're barking up the wrong tree on this one.

Quote:
but there's a difference between disagreeing with someone about something, and claiming that what they are doing is "wrong". You are not the authority, and neither am I. I don't do business with them, because I don't agree with what they are doing, but not because what they are doing is "wrong".
You don't agree with what they are doing. Again, your words. You don't agree with what they are doing. When you don't agree with what someone is doing, you think they are not doing it right. As in the opposite of doing it right: doing it wrong. Uhm, how are we even having a debate right now? This was loony enough that I actually had to forward it to the guys at the warehouse, family and friends just to see what the tally is on it... 14 out of 14 mirrored my sentiments. Best response: "So he's boiling this all down to a ridiculous semantic argument about the specific usage of a particular word?" As I mentioned above about the family member I take care of, they actually engage in this kind of irrational nitpicking mental gymnastics. If I'm going to hear you do the same, I would like to at least be similarly compensated by Medicaid for my services.

Quote:
This "I'm right and you're wrong" mentality is exactly why this country is in the spot it's in. I'm guessing you are just a bit more spun up about things, because you just got started in this. Some of us have been awaiting, and watching this sort of stuff for a long time (years if not decades) and are ready to weather these types of situations.
So you're lumping me in as part of the reason why this country is failing. Outstanding, you've got me completely mapped out. Just curious, what's my middle name? What color is my hair? What town do I live in? What kind of beer do I prefer with my cheeseburgers? Reason I ask is, you seem to know me personally, I mean you've got it all solved man. My previous post referenced taking my preps seriously the last 6 months and you somehow concluded from just that tidbit alone that there's no way I could have previously been doing this for years/decades and fell on and off here and there due to relocating, a layoff, two jobs and caretaking for a family member... I mean no way any of that could have happened and you could be jumping to conclusions here right? It's not like this is the internet or anything...

Quote:
If some knucklehead wants to buy all the bread and sell it for 5x the going rate, guess what, I won't be buying any bread. It's really pretty simple. The "panic buyers" are the problem. If there's no market for whatever item, people won't be able to "price gouge".
The panic buyers aren't the ones creating the problem, the price gougers are the ones emptying the shelves and creating the image of a shortage. You seriously didn't know that's what's happening? If Governor Snowflake of the State Of Mooglyboogly goes up on TV one night and says, "Effective tomorrow night at 8pm, we are banning the sale of all 22lr in our state", the jobless bum price gougers get up early for the first time in months/years, stand in line and wipe out the supply before 8:05am. The panic buyers don't even get a chance to do what they do best, because the boxes are already GONE dude. Buddy of mine worked at WallyWorld 35mins south of Buffalo and said one of the guys (who reeked of pot) showed him a picture of his living room filled to the ceiling with ammo and then bragged about how it helps him not WORK. You're defending scum of the Earth here. We have laws and general outlines regarding personal conduct in civilized society... sometimes we make minor tweaks and adjustments. The stores don't fall back on "oh well, supply and demand [/genericanswerforeverything]", they enact buying limits.

Riddle me this... why are stores (which are in the business of MAKING MONEY) better able to understand this than people like you? I mean, if anyone should be advocating your position of supply and demand and tough s**t that's how it is, it would be THEM. And yet, THEY are the ones taking decency and fairness into consideration by imposing buying limits. You're unable to do it, but the people in the business of making money who should be completely coldblooded about it are the freakin' ones putting into effect a policy to maintain at least some level of civility. I've had this debate before, this is the part that gets dodged... every time.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mark.edler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 08:05 PM
SeekingTruth SeekingTruth is offline
Living Simple
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 992
Thanks: 1,479
Thanked 989 Times in 552 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.edler View Post
Well, that was pretty funny. Like saying "no offense" and then proceeding to do exactly that. Don't put a little disclaimer at the end and try to avoid the horns... you did the dirty work, now you're getting them. Don't address someone like that and not expect a response. I dated a girl who did that bait and switch c**p, it got old, fast.

I'll lead with this: Don't lecture me on emotion and rational thinking, you have no idea what I do for a second job and what I deal with taking care of a family member with mental health issues. Save that cowpie for whenever you get in a debate with lefties, you're barking up the wrong tree on this one.



You don't agree with what they are doing. Again, your words. You don't agree with what they are doing. When you don't agree with what someone is doing, you think they are not doing it right. As in the opposite of doing it right: doing it wrong. Uhm, how are we even having a debate right now? This was loony enough that I actually had to forward it to the guys at the warehouse, family and friends just to see what the tally is on it... 14 out of 14 mirrored my sentiments. Best response: "So he's boiling this all down to a ridiculous semantic argument about the specific usage of a particular word?" As I mentioned above about the family member I take care of, they actually engage in this kind of irrational nitpicking mental gymnastics. If I'm going to hear you do the same, I would like to at least be similarly compensated by Medicaid for my services.



So you're lumping me in as part of the reason why this country is failing. Outstanding, you've got me completely mapped out. Just curious, what's my middle name? What color is my hair? What town do I live in? What kind of beer do I prefer with my cheeseburgers? Reason I ask is, you seem to know me personally, I mean you've got it all solved man. My previous post referenced taking my preps seriously the last 6 months and you somehow concluded from just that tidbit alone that there's no way I could have previously been doing this for years/decades and fell on and off here and there due to relocating, a layoff, two jobs and caretaking for a family member... I mean no way any of that could have happened and you could be jumping to conclusions here right? It's not like this is the internet or anything...



The panic buyers aren't the ones creating the problem, the price gougers are the ones emptying the shelves and creating the image of a shortage. You seriously didn't know that's what's happening? If Governor Snowflake of the State Of Mooglyboogly goes up on TV one night and says, "Effective tomorrow night at 8pm, we are banning the sale of all 22lr in our state", the jobless bum price gougers get up early for the first time in months/years, stand in line and wipe out the supply before 8:05am. The panic buyers don't even get a chance to do what they do best, because the boxes are already GONE dude. Buddy of mine worked at WallyWorld 35mins south of Buffalo and said one of the guys (who reeked of pot) showed him a picture of his living room filled to the ceiling with ammo and then bragged about how it helps him not WORK. You're defending scum of the Earth here. We have laws and general outlines regarding personal conduct in civilized society... sometimes we make minor tweaks and adjustments. The stores don't fall back on "oh well, supply and demand [/genericanswerforeverything]", they enact buying limits.

Riddle me this... why are stores (which are in the business of MAKING MONEY) better able to understand this than people like you? I mean, if anyone should be advocating your position of supply and demand and tough s**t that's how it is, it would be THEM. And yet, THEY are the ones taking decency and fairness into consideration by imposing buying limits. You're unable to do it, but the people in the business of making money who should be completely coldblooded about it are the freakin' ones putting into effect a policy to maintain at least some level of civility. I've had this debate before, this is the part that gets dodged... every time.
Well Mark, I'm glad you got your family to agree with you. Take care and have a good weekend!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeekingTruth For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-20-2020, 04:54 AM
Rett Rett is offline
High Concept
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,691
Thanks: 1,500
Thanked 7,428 Times in 2,669 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
I have off and on considered a pellet gun. I have enjoyed my little Crosman 760 pump but would like to get a better one. What do you recommend without going overboard?
A good springer in 22 cal, Iíve killed a lot with them.

I use the German air rifles mostly Weihrauch HW 80 and Diana model 34. I used to use the sharp innova the Japanese airgun, it was the most accurate I ever came across.
A Sheridan or Beni could be good, there is a whole world of air guns to select from.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Rett For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 07:12 AM
Iamfarticus's Avatar
Iamfarticus Iamfarticus is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 7,936
Thanks: 6,432
Thanked 15,783 Times in 5,674 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue123 View Post
Ammo, think back how difficult finding ammo was during past runs. Factor in this virus and resupply via regular distribution could be 3 years out.
I've never had to buy ammo under duress before and there was nothing I really NEEDED this time. I picked up a few boxes of #2 buck, & #7 target and some 2-oz Hevi Shot slugs, expensive but has great stopping power.

Really funny but not... my brother texted me that he has a few boxes of 12-gauge ammo he wants to give me (he is not at all armed...), my nephew left it there when he moved out of state. My reply was, do you want to borrow a gun? Crickets...
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 11:47 AM
Erie1700's Avatar
Erie1700 Erie1700 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 27
Thanks: 5
Thanked 50 Times in 17 Posts
Default

I'm with Mark. It's selfish, degenerate, predatory behavior and anyone that defends it is an enabler. If it was simple supply and demand, clear cut black and white, then stores wouldn't be implementing buying limits and the justice department wouldn't have gone on national television last night saying they will prosecute medical supply price gougers.

Scoreboard: Mark 2-0.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Erie1700 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 02:22 PM
mark.edler mark.edler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 51
Thanks: 7
Thanked 54 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erie1700 View Post
I'm with Mark. It's selfish, degenerate, predatory behavior and anyone that defends it is an enabler. If it was simple supply and demand, clear cut black and white, then stores wouldn't be implementing buying limits and the justice department wouldn't have gone on national television last night saying they will prosecute medical supply price gougers.

Scoreboard: Mark 2-0.
I watched that last night, said "it's just supply and demand" and laughed my arse off. Actually got an equally amusing text from a coworker referencing this thread and saying the same thing.

Barr said last night the people that engage in this behavior will be getting a knock on their doors... I just wish I was there with a folding lawn chair, popcorn and ice cold Pepsi to watch. Something tells me someone else would be there with a hanky.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2020, 03:05 PM
Wulfmann's Avatar
Wulfmann Wulfmann is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: EC Florida
Posts: 205
Thanks: 10
Thanked 352 Times in 137 Posts
Default

When people are selling they want a free market

When people are buying they want price controls

I have seen many auctions for ammo go for ridiculous prices like one 500 round case of 45ACP 230gr FMJ Winchester cheap ammo that sold for $540.00 with shipping.
That is more than a dollar a round
Thing is the seller started it at 1 cent and if only one person bid 1 cent that is what it would sold for

Obviously many people thought it was worth more and asked to pay what it sold for not because the seller demanded it but because the buyer offered it

OK, I admit it I am a believer in a free market string me up
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wulfmann For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 03:15 PM
blue123's Avatar
blue123 blue123 is online now
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Nevada
Posts: 11,543
Thanks: 7,291
Thanked 13,037 Times in 5,442 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamfarticus View Post

Really funny but not... my brother texted me that he has a few boxes of 12-gauge ammo he wants to give me (he is not at all armed...), my nephew left it there when he moved out of state. My reply was, do you want to borrow a gun? Crickets...

That's funny, my answer for folks who don't own guns is: Why? Whats wrong with you?
__________________
''the court jester''
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2020, 03:18 PM
mark.edler mark.edler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 51
Thanks: 7
Thanked 54 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfmann View Post
When people are selling the want a free market

When people are buying they want price controls

I have seen many auctions for ammo go for ridiculous prices like one 500 round case of 45ACP 230gr FMJ Winchester cheap ammo that sold for $540.00 with shipping.
That is more than a dollar a round
Thing is the seller started it at 1 cent and if only one person bid 1 cent that is what it would sold for

Obviously many people thought it was worth more and asked to pay what it sold for not because the seller demanded it but because the buyer offered it

OK, I admit it I am a believer in a free market string me up
I won't be stringing anyone up. You're free to do whatever you want. Go hoard some medical supplies to resell at 20x the price and yell "but but but... supply and demand!" when you get hauled off to the clink. But let me know what the address is first, so I can set up my lawn chair, snacks and fizzy refreshments.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to mark.edler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 03:20 PM
roseman roseman is online now
NRA Life 1971
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 7,846
Thanks: 9,657
Thanked 14,452 Times in 6,222 Posts
Default

Firstly. I don't buy ammo at all and if I did, I would have twice my current stock of ammo and components.
I'm not sure why prepared individuals care about price spikes at all. The unprepared and those not paying attention should reap what they have sewn.
Those here should not be affected at all by ammo or toilet paper etc. prices or supplies. If you are, then you haven't been paying attention.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 03:22 PM
mark.edler mark.edler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 51
Thanks: 7
Thanked 54 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue123 View Post
That's funny, my answer for folks who don't own guns is: Why? Whats wrong with you?
I choose to avoid conversation with them entirely. Just jot down their position on the map. When things cook off, they will most likely be the same ones who will go around trying to burglarize for supplies.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2020, 03:40 PM
mark.edler mark.edler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 51
Thanks: 7
Thanked 54 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseman View Post
Firstly. I don't buy ammo at all and if I did, I would have twice my current stock of ammo and components.
I'm not sure why prepared individuals care about price spikes at all. The unprepared and those not paying attention should reap what they have sewn.
Those here should not be affected at all by ammo or toilet paper etc. prices or supplies. If you are, then you haven't been paying attention.
I won't list what I have and at what numbers on here, for obvious reasons, but I'll answer this in two parts:

First, my friends and I have developed a bit of a rule for ourselves. Whenever we go out shooting, whether it be sighting in, testing after a new build, hunting, training or just having a little fun... we buy a small box of ammo beforehand. Reason being, if you bought a 100rd box you (A) took nothing from your existing stockpile and (B) chances are you didn't expend all 100rds, so you actually ADDED to your ammo supplies... all while still having gone out and sighted, hunted, tested, etc. It's a neat little policy that works pretty well. Go out shooting, have some fun, tuck 30 or 40 rounds away in the safe. Well...... can't do that anymore. All we're doing now is either decreasing our supplies or avoiding shooting at all. Both of which are unacceptable options.

Second, you talk about people trying to buy now being behind the game and reaping what they sowed. We all started somewhere, sometime, right? Most survivalists now likely grew up into the lifestyle, but what percentage would you say are people who were adults that had a wake-up moment? Considering that, what if 29 year old Joe from Ballsack, Kentucky just had his wake-up moment a week ago, out of sheer dumb luck? He shouldn't be able to defend himself? I'm not sure what your specific circumstances are, but I'm sure there are more than a few people on this site who came into the fold through a wake-up moment, maybe even some people you enjoy talking to... what if this happened back then, the week when they woke up? Would you tell them they are reaping what they sowed? Because you're essentially giving them a pass because they just happened to get started at a different time, luckily.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to mark.edler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 04:08 PM
OverUnder27's Avatar
OverUnder27 OverUnder27 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 127
Thanks: 76
Thanked 185 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.edler View Post
I won't list what I have and at what numbers on here, for obvious reasons, but I'll answer this in two parts:

First, my friends and I have developed a bit of a rule for ourselves. Whenever we go out shooting, whether it be sighting in, testing after a new build, hunting, training or just having a little fun... we buy a small box of ammo beforehand. Reason being, if you bought a 100rd box you (A) took nothing from your existing stockpile and (B) chances are you didn't expend all 100rds, so you actually ADDED to your ammo supplies... all while still having gone out and sighted, hunted, tested, etc. It's a neat little policy that works pretty well. Go out shooting, have some fun, tuck 30 or 40 rounds away in the safe. Well...... can't do that anymore. All we're doing now is either decreasing our supplies or avoiding shooting at all. Both of which are unacceptable options.

Second, you talk about people trying to buy now being behind the game and reaping what they sowed. We all started somewhere, sometime, right? Most survivalists now likely grew up into the lifestyle, but what percentage would you say are people who were adults that had a wake-up moment? Considering that, what if 29 year old Joe from Ballsack, Kentucky just had his wake-up moment a week ago, out of sheer dumb luck? He shouldn't be able to defend himself? I'm not sure what your specific circumstances are, but I'm sure there are more than a few people on this site who came into the fold through a wake-up moment, maybe even some people you enjoy talking to... what if this happened back then, the week when they woke up? Would you tell them they are reaping what they sowed? Because you're essentially giving them a pass because they just happened to get started at a different time, luckily.
Thought I was the only one that does that, but nice to hear other people think the same way. I do the exact same thing with my sons, we get a box before we shoot even though we have enough for weeks of shooting nonstop as is. We usually have 70ish rounds left over and it increases our numbers. Everythings gone from the shelves so we haven't been shooting, which is really a shame because it's quality time with my kids.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2020, 04:26 PM
Offrink Offrink is online now
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 1,941
Thanks: 12,940
Thanked 2,655 Times in 1,171 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.edler View Post
I won't list what I have and at what numbers on here, for obvious reasons, but I'll answer this in two parts:

First, my friends and I have developed a bit of a rule for ourselves. Whenever we go out shooting, whether it be sighting in, testing after a new build, hunting, training or just having a little fun... we buy a small box of ammo beforehand. Reason being, if you bought a 100rd box you (A) took nothing from your existing stockpile and (B) chances are you didn't expend all 100rds, so you actually ADDED to your ammo supplies... all while still having gone out and sighted, hunted, tested, etc. It's a neat little policy that works pretty well. Go out shooting, have some fun, tuck 30 or 40 rounds away in the safe. Well...... can't do that anymore. All we're doing now is either decreasing our supplies or avoiding shooting at all. Both of which are unacceptable options.

Second, you talk about people trying to buy now being behind the game and reaping what they sowed. We all started somewhere, sometime, right? Most survivalists now likely grew up into the lifestyle, but what percentage would you say are people who were adults that had a wake-up moment? Considering that, what if 29 year old Joe from Ballsack, Kentucky just had his wake-up moment a week ago, out of sheer dumb luck? He shouldn't be able to defend himself? I'm not sure what your specific circumstances are, but I'm sure there are more than a few people on this site who came into the fold through a wake-up moment, maybe even some people you enjoy talking to... what if this happened back then, the week when they woke up? Would you tell them they are reaping what they sowed? Because you're essentially giving them a pass because they just happened to get started at a different time, luckily.
If Ballsack Joe wants 1,000 rounds that you have are going to charge him what you paid or are you going to have him pay current market price.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2020, 04:30 PM
OverUnder27's Avatar
OverUnder27 OverUnder27 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 127
Thanks: 76
Thanked 185 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrink View Post
If Ballsack Joe wants 1,000 rounds that you have are going to charge him what you paid or are you going to have him pay current market price.
You're missing the point. Ballsack Joe should be able to buy a box of 100 22lr on the shelf at the store for $6, not go to a strange house to buy the same box for $25 because the unemployed dregs of society wiped everything off the shelf and created a shortage.

I needed some extra broth from the store and while I was in there I swung over to sporting goods to check out some scope rings for my son's new 1022. There were 8 boxes of CCI SV left, the 50 round boxes. I got 2. I could have bought all 8 and resold them, but I have one of those job things where you go out and earn what you have.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to OverUnder27 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 04:38 PM
Offrink Offrink is online now
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 1,941
Thanks: 12,940
Thanked 2,655 Times in 1,171 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.edler View Post
I won't list what I have and at what numbers on here, for obvious reasons, but I'll answer this in two parts:

First, my friends and I have developed a bit of a rule for ourselves. Whenever we go out shooting, whether it be sighting in, testing after a new build, hunting, training or just having a little fun... we buy a small box of ammo beforehand. Reason being, if you bought a 100rd box you (A) took nothing from your existing stockpile and (B) chances are you didn't expend all 100rds, so you actually ADDED to your ammo supplies... all while still having gone out and sighted, hunted, tested, etc. It's a neat little policy that works pretty well. Go out shooting, have some fun, tuck 30 or 40 rounds away in the safe. Well...... can't do that anymore. All we're doing now is either decreasing our supplies or avoiding shooting at all. Both of which are unacceptable options.

Second, you talk about people trying to buy now being behind the game and reaping what they sowed. We all started somewhere, sometime, right? Most survivalists now likely grew up into the lifestyle, but what percentage would you say are people who were adults that had a wake-up moment? Considering that, what if 29 year old Joe from Ballsack, Kentucky just had his wake-up moment a week ago, out of sheer dumb luck? He shouldn't be able to defend himself? I'm not sure what your specific circumstances are, but I'm sure there are more than a few people on this site who came into the fold through a wake-up moment, maybe even some people you enjoy talking to... what if this happened back then, the week when they woke up? Would you tell them they are reaping what they sowed? Because you're essentially giving them a pass because they just happened to get started at a different time, luckily.
If Ballsack Joe wants 1,000 rounds that you have are going to charge him what you paid or are you going to have him pay current market price.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2020, 07:53 PM
Wulfmann's Avatar
Wulfmann Wulfmann is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: EC Florida
Posts: 205
Thanks: 10
Thanked 352 Times in 137 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.edler View Post
I won't be stringing anyone up. You're free to do whatever you want. Go hoard some medical supplies to resell at 20x the price and yell "but but but... supply and demand!" when you get hauled off to the clink. But let me know what the address is first, so I can set up my lawn chair, snacks and fizzy refreshments.
For those that think this thread is about medical supplies I am guessing you rode that short bus to school so won't rag on you for not realizing I am referring to ammunition.

I never suggested at anytime essential things in a time of emergency were part of a free market as the laws state food, fuel, medical supplies, energy etc can not be price gouged.
Somehow you short bus riders think that applies to everything and my point was it does not.
This is a thread asking if this crisis will affect the price of firearms. Check the medical supply forum to address your thoughts

BTW I have nothing to do with any medical, fuel, food etc businesses so bring some sun screen you will be sitting a long time for nothing

Now; I would absolutely love some liberal piece of Scheise to say ammunition must remain at current pricing and be available to the public and every effort is to be made to keep the manufacturing and distribution at the highest priority but I am guessing that would interfere with their banning firearms and ammo sales in their little soviet style cities and states

So, as long as democratic socialist (AKA communist) down play the crucial roll of firearms in the self preservation of American lives they will remain a free market commodity
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2020, 09:17 PM
roseman roseman is online now
NRA Life 1971
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 7,846
Thanks: 9,657
Thanked 14,452 Times in 6,222 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.edler View Post
I won't list what I have and at what numbers on here, for obvious reasons, but I'll answer this in two parts:

First, my friends and I have developed a bit of a rule for ourselves. Whenever we go out shooting, whether it be sighting in, testing after a new build, hunting, training or just having a little fun... we buy a small box of ammo beforehand. Reason being, if you bought a 100rd box you (A) took nothing from your existing stockpile and (B) chances are you didn't expend all 100rds, so you actually ADDED to your ammo supplies... all while still having gone out and sighted, hunted, tested, etc. It's a neat little policy that works pretty well. Go out shooting, have some fun, tuck 30 or 40 rounds away in the safe. Well...... can't do that anymore. All we're doing now is either decreasing our supplies or avoiding shooting at all. Both of which are unacceptable options.

Second, you talk about people trying to buy now being behind the game and reaping what they sowed. We all started somewhere, sometime, right? Most survivalists now likely grew up into the lifestyle, but what percentage would you say are people who were adults that had a wake-up moment? Considering that, what if 29 year old Joe from Ballsack, Kentucky just had his wake-up moment a week ago, out of sheer dumb luck? He shouldn't be able to defend himself? I'm not sure what your specific circumstances are, but I'm sure there are more than a few people on this site who came into the fold through a wake-up moment, maybe even some people you enjoy talking to... what if this happened back then, the week when they woke up? Would you tell them they are reaping what they sowed? Because you're essentially giving them a pass because they just happened to get started at a different time, luckily.


I agree many are new here, like yourself for example, but some who have been opining about the current events have been on here for years.
This forum is about learning and doing, not just debating.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 08:47 PM
mark.edler mark.edler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 51
Thanks: 7
Thanked 54 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfmann View Post
For those that think this thread is about medical supplies I am guessing you rode that short bus to school so won't rag on you for not realizing I am referring to ammunition.

I never suggested at anytime essential things in a time of emergency were part of a free market as the laws state food, fuel, medical supplies, energy etc can not be price gouged.
Somehow you short bus riders think that applies to everything and my point was it does not.
This is a thread asking if this crisis will affect the price of firearms. Check the medical supply forum to address your thoughts

BTW I have nothing to do with any medical, fuel, food etc businesses so bring some sun screen you will be sitting a long time for nothing

Now; I would absolutely love some liberal piece of Scheise to say ammunition must remain at current pricing and be available to the public and every effort is to be made to keep the manufacturing and distribution at the highest priority but I am guessing that would interfere with their banning firearms and ammo sales in their little soviet style cities and states

So, as long as democratic socialist (AKA communist) down play the crucial roll of firearms in the self preservation of American lives they will remain a free market commodity
Seems you've been riding the short bus, comfy bench seats and all. Are you still using those round foam protectors near the end of your spoons so you don't swallow them, or have you graduated to borderline functional utensils yet? I'd love to show you in person how to use them if you haven't graduated to them yet, once the virus is done having it's fun of course.

The conversation had a spinoff into debate regarding supply and demand, and since that was being discussed, it was fair game to discuss other items. You just don't like that it put an inconvenient hole in the stubborn arse defense some were using, and you dodged the point regarding store limits (that's TWO offenders now, just as I called it...).

Regarding differences between emergency supplies and ammunition... if things go the way of something resembling the '92 LA riots and said ammunition saves your life, I call that the greatest emergency supply item on the list.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mark.edler For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net