Worst self defense advice you've ever heard? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 03-08-2020, 12:43 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,387 Times in 722 Posts

Advertise Here

I have been told in a .45 acp you need a 230 gr bullet nothing else is a true stopper.

After a number of test using my 1911 while hog hunting i still use 165 gr Hydra-Shok in my 45 auto.

https://www.luckygunner.com/45-acp-1...rounds#geltest
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to augoldminer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2020, 09:01 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 11,655 Times in 2,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledPatriot View Post
And was it even functional? I have seen 38's with verdegris on the brass of the casings, and lint in the cylinder gap, because some gunshop fudd told soccer mommy that, "you don't need to worry about revolvers, they ALWAYS work", and in her mind, that means NO MAINTENNANCE REQUIRED.

Speedloader? Flashlight? What are those things?
ONE OF the dead cops on our MEMORY LANE died because he was in a stand off with an armed robber. Both pointing guns at each other, BG fired, cop didn't even though arriving officers saw it taking place though the front window of the store.

When they checked the cops gun they found it would not cycle, cylinder would not turn, could not pull the trigger. They had to beat it open and the rounds were sealed into the chambers from age and crap falling into it. Checked range records and found he had slipped through the cracks and had no record of firing for several years. So, he died because he was lazy and didn't take care of his revolver. They DO NOT ALWAYS work...
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2020, 02:10 PM

Run and hide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2020, 02:54 PM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
Best way, to break out of a Bear Hug, then? Am actually interested to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin94 View Post
Weight Lifting + Brazilian Jui Jitsu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you serious? What level are you?
Old 03-08-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornly2 View Post
You don't need a gun.

OC/pepper spray is all anyone ever needs!
Calling BS on that.

Quote:
There's several different types of bear hugs. Above the elbow, below the elbow, bear hug with slam. One size doesn't fit all, unfortunately.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:22 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 19,889 Times in 5,948 Posts

When I get into a bear hug I clench my powerful buttocks onto the attacker until they beg for mercy. If they have a waistband or holstered firearm I use my buttocks to take the weapon, eject the magazine, and rack the slide. If it is a polymer frame I just crush the weapon.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBeeDaddy View Post
When I get into a bear hug I clench my powerful buttocks onto the attacker until they beg for mercy. If they have a waistband or holstered firearm I use my buttocks to take the weapon, eject the magazine, and rack the slide. If it is a polymer frame I just crush the weapon.
HaHaHa, that would make a great defense video.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:29 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
ABILITY DEPENDS on your size,
BUT
IF from behind I told the following,
IF you can reach his hands and can force one of his fingers free, pull it back until you hear it break.
IF you are big/tall enough your feet are on the ground you start stomping his insteps as hard and fast as you can, and if you can doing while running down his shins, it is a bonus.
If you cannot reach his hands and your feet are not on the ground you start driving your heels into his shins as hard and fast as you can.
Not saying it will be easy, but it is something.

IF from the front and your face is buried in his chest neck area, bite and not just clamp down but worry the bite like a terrier or pitbull would, makes it much more painful. If you can get his neck you can actually kill him if you do it right.
If he grabbed low and lifted and you cannot bite him, start kicking him in the shins with the toes of your shoes/boots

Shins are extremely sensitive and it will be very painful... the question is is it painful enough.

Finally if your hands are pinned against his front do not forget there is always a grab for the "family jewels"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2020, 11:33 PM
In Peace as in War

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
AS A career LEO I have to ditto the one about dragging them INTO the house after you shoot them OUTSIDE the house.

Just as I have had folks ask about planting a gun, knife, club, etc on someone they found and shot inside the house.

I would tell them "ANYTHING that they did to change the actual scene would be considered tampering with evidence and that never works, and only makes it look worse than it is because it looks like it was not what it really was."

You find a threat inside your home go ahead and dump them. BUT do NOT try to make the guy look more dangerous. He was in the house, that is all you need...

Most of the questions I dealt with had folks wanting to screw up perfectly good crime scenes. With todays forensics capabilities, it simply will not work and you will look guilty of something instead of being innocent from the jump...
+1. When you lie to the Police, the logical assumption is you believe you did something wrong.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:34 PM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,659 Times in 8,879 Posts

The worst self defense information ALWAYS comes from the anti-gun crowd. No matter what they tell you, the anti-gun nuts are always wrong or lying.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:51 PM
Somewhere in a Plane

Thanked 1,002 Times in 387 Posts

I had a guy tell me that he carried a 45 because "8 rounds of 45 has more lb-ft of energy in total than 15 rounds of 9mm."

I had another guy recommend that I load my mother's CCW 380 with frangible ammunition so that "it actually does some damage."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bobcat In The Woods For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2020, 05:22 PM
Prepared

When you get thrown into the slam, find the biggest, baddest guy there and punch him in the face.
The Following User Says Thank You to clingmansdome For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2020, 05:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,848 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBeeDaddy View Post

Now thatís impressive !!
The Following User Says Thank You to Corpus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2020, 05:30 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,299 Times in 310 Posts

Turn the other cheek.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vtx rudy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2020, 06:03 PM
Hiker

"Size and strength doesn't matter."

Size and strength are usually the determining factor in a fight. Sometimes there is such a disparity in technique, experience, or aggressiveness that size and strength can be overcome. But if that were common there would not be weight classes in combat sports.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1611 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2020, 09:01 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clingmansdome View Post
When you get thrown into the slam, find the biggest, baddest guy there and punch him in the face.
ACTUALLY, THAT is not the worst piece of advice I have ever heard.

1st- it marks you as CRAZY.. and that makes a lot of folks leave you alone

2nd- while you may get your butt kicked you will have more status than the guys huddled in fear in the corner

3rd- jumping right into a fight will get you ISOLATED.. and thrown into a cell... ALONE. It may have almost no amenities, but you will be alone

4th- if there is a huge disparity in size you may not even get killed because again.. you must be crazy....
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2020, 09:50 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone Crusade View Post
+1. When you lie to the Police, the logical assumption is you believe you did something wrong.
WE had a dead guy shot(12ga, close range) inside of a house.. in the hood. We arrive, It is a one on one thing, no witnesses. Dead guy was known to the shooter. Dead guy was known to us cops as a real Adam Henry, so no tears. Shooter is pointing at gun Old H&R .32 top break . next to the body saying he was threatened by the guy.
NBD(no big deal) this was a regular occurrence in our world... except it still didn't feel right. WHen you hit someone holding a gun with a 12ga it isn't found laying neatly next to the body.
SO, we very carefully did the evidence things. We also bagged and tagged the homeowner until we got it sorted out.
Gun was processed, the gun was reported stolen years earlier, no usable prints of any kind on it. But, there was a fair accumulation of lint built in around the cylinder and little nooks as it was carried a long time in a pocket.
SO
they check dead guys clothes and literally vacuum his pockets and check for signs of gun oils etc as well as trying to match the pocket material to the crap in the gun. NO match.
but
it DID match the pocket lint of the shooter.
SO,
the shooter is now being held on an open murder charge.
Detectives start walking back the case...
Dead guy was a known butthead. Had more than a handful of assault charges over his life. Witnesses finally are found who hated the dead guy more than the shooter and they said he was at his home getting all worked up about the guy who eventually shot him. Took a large kitchen knife from a drawer and left telling a couple of folks how he was going to cut the guy up. shortly thereafter he was demised.
but
there was no knife found at the scene on or near the dead guy.

By now the court appointed atty for the shooter is approaching trying to explain that his client killed the guy attacking him in self defense. That the client planted the gun because he was afraid of the way it looked.
The prosecutor is PO'd because up until then he had a dead bang murder conviction
the detectives are PO'd because they just spent 100 hours coming up with information that would have been apparent if the shooter had been straight.
The lab guys are PO'd because they spent a lot of time sifting through the evidence to show the gun was planted and they thought they had a murder suspect nailed

A search of the shooter's home finds the knife described by the witnesses in the kitchen drawer with other knives.
They print the knife and find a couple prints that match up to the dead guy and they even find a spot of dead guy blood on the knife.
Prosecutor still mulls over a murder charge because no one knows what really happened now but the shooter and he is still ticked about the crap everyone has gone through to make the case...

Finally the pros. realizes he probably won't win at trial because the "victim" being dead makes the world a better place,
but
gets his sort of payback by ramming a possession stolen property charge down the shooters throat.

Crap like this happened several times while I was working and it was ALWAYS found out that the crime scene had been doctored.
We even had one body dragged in through the front door then they tried to wipe up the blood trail...when the Luminol hit it you could see where they started the drag like it was in neon lights. IT is like folks never watch those cop shows...

Just trust your judgement as to when you can defend yourself and then LEAVE the dang crime scene ALONE....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2020, 09:57 PM
More than .0001%

Thanked 2,578 Times in 850 Posts

I was actually told in a training class by a major city police training instructor; when pulling a gun with the intention to fire, start firing as soon as you clear the holster, regardless of aim and keep firing until empty. Even if your aim is way off, the muzzle blast, and gunfire will affect their action toward you.

This guy on a scale of 1-10 was a 0 in regard to his training skills.

The best training I had and recommend is TDI. https://www.tdiohio.com/
Old 03-12-2020, 12:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,197 Times in 2,836 Posts

....you don't need a weapon light....or a flash light.....light is overrated.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 06:56 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,622 Times in 1,086 Posts

For bearhugs just to get a couple basic wrestling lessons. Most people do a pretty terrible bearhug. A 'bodylock' in wrestling( proper bearhug), usually means your hips are below the victim, you are using both hand grips for purchase and there are no gaps between your body and the victim.

Most people dont come anywhere near to doing this. The basic defence to a poor bearhug which 99% of the time it will be is generally drop your weight, move your hips away from his, break grip where its weakest.

If facing away you also turn and rotate the direction the grip broke to face the person as quickly as possible.

If facing them you also push against his hips as you drop your weight.

All the nasty stuff can work too but Id consider it more a last resort or if the persons bearhug is actually good or the strength differential is too high.

Again, some decent wrestling lessons and you will know a good or bad bearhug or where you sit with the assailants strength in the first millisecond or two.
The Following User Says Thank You to sixtus For This Useful Post: