Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 02-28-2020, 06:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,851 Times in 1,932 Posts

Advertise Here

How about a novel approach, rather than debating what matters and what doesn't why not just count three days and nights from the start of Passover and celebrate the Resurrection.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 07:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
When I see a symbol it doesn't add to or take away from my personal faith in Christ. So, for me, they're irrelevant and unnecessary. They certainly aren't required to have faith and belief in a Savior who died for my multitude of sins.

When we really stop and think about it ... the cross is a "symbol" of punishment, pain, and death. When I do see a cross ... I like to see the ones where Christ isn't present. It shows that He's no longer on the cross but on the right hand of the Father. It shows that He conquered death. Crosses that still show him hanging in death indicate that He never left that horrible devise of cruel torture.

None of the "traditional" symbols I've seen are indicated in Scripture. Not even the cross is elevated to a standard of worship. Christ conquered the cross and the grave and ascended into Heaven. That's where He is according to the written Word. I don't need any icon or object to remind me of that fact.

Learn the Scripture and Church History will seem somewhat insignificant in comparison.

When you see something you don't understand you consider it evil or unuseful?

To some seeing this level of ignorance will scare them. For me it simply bores me.
The Following User Says Thank You to cat_1978 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 08:36 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Thanked 63,480 Times in 21,269 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_1978 View Post
When you see something you don't understand you consider it evil or unuseful?

To some seeing this level of ignorance will scare them. For me it simply bores me.
I don't post for your entertainment but to reveal your hypocrisy. You claim to be a perfect Christian but act as if you've never heard of Christ and His example. You elevate your traditions above the very Word of God and you treat Christians and would-be Christians like dirt on an ever-so-regular basis. It's my opinion that you are one of the most self-righteous individuals I've ever come across. If I had to place a tag on you ... I would entitle it: "Modern Day Pharisee." You don't seem to have an ounce of humility. If THAT's your version of "perfect" Christianity then I want no part of it. And I mean that sincerely!!

I fully "understand" your idols but I simply want no part of them. I don't need them nor does the Bible require me to pay them any mind.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2020, 03:21 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,085 Times in 689 Posts

Some of you folks really gut the fun out of life for kids. Even as a Protestant youngster I could make the distinction between the significance of Christís Birth and Resurrection from those secular aspects of the Christmas and Easter seasons even though they coincided. Can't you?
The Following User Says Thank You to Trogshak For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 05:55 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogshak View Post
Can't you?
Absolutely not. Rather than lie to the kids, teach them the truth. Our Father detests being celebrated with the same practices/ways that the heathens used to worship/honor their false gods. You are to never mingle the set-apart (His ways) with the profane (false ways).
Old 02-29-2020, 09:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,794 Times in 5,315 Posts

Quote:
I don't post for your entertainment but to reveal your hypocrisy. You claim to be a perfect Christian but act as if you've never heard of Christ and His example.
Cat has never claimed to be a perfect Christian. In fact, no follower of Jesus, including the apostles, would claim such a thing,

Quote:
You elevate your traditions above the very Word of God and you treat Christians and would-be Christians like dirt on an ever-so-regular basis. It's my opinion that you are one of the most self-righteous individuals I've ever come across. If I had to place a tag on you ... I would entitle it: "Modern Day Pharisee." You don't seem to have an ounce of humility. If THAT's your version of "perfect" Christianity then I want no part of it. And I mean that sincerely!!
The traditions of the Christian church exist so that we can effectively implement the teachings of the scriptures in our lives. Jesus didnít say walk down the aisle and pray a prayer to follow me. He said take up your cross and follow me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Watchingtheweasels For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 09:21 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchingtheweasels View Post
He said take up your cross and follow me.
He also said:

1Jn 2:6* The one who says he stays in Him ought himself also to walk, even as He walked.*

Mar 7:7* And in vain do they worship Me, teaching as teachings the commands of men.í
Old 02-29-2020, 09:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,340 Times in 4,002 Posts

Quote:
Great and Holy Pascha

"Pascha is a transliteration of the Greek word, which is itself a transliteration of the Aramaic pascha, from the Hebrew pesach meaning Passover."

"Twelve weeks of preparation precede it. This is made up of pre-lenten Sundays, Great Lent, and Holy Week. The faithful try to make this long journey with repentance, forgiveness, reconciliation, prayer, fasting, almsgiving, and study. When the feast finally arrives, it is celebrated with a collection of services combined as one." ...
Just a reminder for the Orthodox Christians here, Great Lent/Великий Пост begins on Monday, March 2nd. I just got back from the supermarket where I bought enough food that is permitted during Great Lent to last at least through most of the period up to Pascha/Easter on April 19th.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Batko10 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2020, 07:23 AM
Автомат Калашникова

Thanked 1,157 Times in 678 Posts

Quote:
I don't post for your entertainment but to reveal your hypocrisy. You claim to be a perfect Christian but act as if you've never heard of Christ and His example. You elevate your traditions above the very Word of God and you treat Christians and would-be Christians like dirt on an ever-so-regular basis. It's my opinion that you are one of the most self-righteous individuals I've ever come across. If I had to place a tag on you ... I would entitle it: "Modern Day Pharisee." You don't seem to have an ounce of humility. If THAT's your version of "perfect" Christianity then I want no part of it. And I mean that sincerely!!

I fully "understand" your idols but I simply want no part of them. I don't need them nor does the Bible require me to pay them any mind.
Your intentions notwithstanding, much of what you have posted over the years would be amusing if it were not so sad.

No Orthodox Christian claims to be perfect. To even think of oneself as perfect would be tantamount to blasphemy, a denial of ones status as a child of God, and therefore a voluntary rejection of the Christian faith. If anyone claiming to be Orthodox makes that mistake here, in writing, rest assured that I will correct them before you do.

The Word of God, as referred to in the New Testament, is Jesus Christ incarnate. Nothing less. Read the Gospel of Saint John, then read it again. The Christian Scriptures, whole and complete, is the written tradition of the Christian Church. Nothing less. So go ahead and read the Bible, then read it again, if you dare. But never again deny that it a written TRADITION of the Church, that has Jesus Christ at its head, which provides ALL its authority. And God forbid, cease holding the Bible up as an idol. To do so is tantamount to blasphemy, a defacto denial of the incarnation of Christ, and therefore a voluntary rejection of the Christian Faith. Just saying.

If you wish to make yourself useful around here, perhaps you could focus your efforts on keeping your western Christian brethren in check so we do not have to correct their errors in open forum.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keyzer Soze For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2020, 07:47 AM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogshak View Post
Some of you folks really gut the fun out of life for kids. Even as a Protestant youngster I could make the distinction between the significance of Christís Birth and Resurrection from those secular aspects of the Christmas and Easter seasons even though they coincided. Can't you?
Is Christianity supposed to be like Disneyland or does it play a more significant role in ones eternal salvation? I enjoyed Christmas and Easter as a kid but I enjoyed running around the nearby riverbed or playing Frisbee or setting up my plastic army-men too. One can have lots of fun without honoring pagan festivals.

I participated in Christmas and Easter when I was a kid. The most "fun" thing about them was the "material" aspect of those days. I looked forward to getting "things" and I looked forward to stuffing my face with pie, candy, cake, and other sugary substances. It was all about me, me, me and what I was going to get my hands on. So yes ... those days were certainly "fun."
Old 03-01-2020, 07:58 AM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
=Keyzer Soze;20101392]Your intentions notwithstanding, much of what you have posted over the years would be amusing if it were not so sad.
Our sin nature (yours and mine) is "sad" but it's a reality that we have to live with.

Quote:
No Orthodox Christian claims to be perfect. To even think of oneself as perfect would be tantamount to blasphemy, a denial of ones status as a child of God, and therefore a voluntary rejection of the Christian faith. If anyone claiming to be Orthodox makes that mistake here, in writing, rest assured that I will correct them before you do.
Of the various Christian denominations I've come across in my life, it appears to me that the most self-righteous group is the Orthodox brethren. Their higher-than-thou tone resonates with almost every post in this forum and Cat isn't the only perpetrator. Yes ... there are a couple of Catholics and an occasional follower of Messianic Judaism who may rival the Orthodox bros from time to time but not to the same, routine degree. I will also admit that I have a sharp tongue from time to time but I will also be the first to point out my own multitudinous shortcomings.

Quote:
The Word of God, as referred to in the New Testament, is Jesus Christ incarnate. Nothing less. Read the Gospel of Saint John, then read it again. The Christian Scriptures, whole and complete, is the written tradition of the Christian Church. Nothing less. So go ahead and read the Bible, then read it again, if you dare. But never again deny that it a written TRADITION of the Church, that has Jesus Christ at its head, which provides ALL its authority. And God forbid, cease holding the Bible up as an idol. To do so is tantamount to blasphemy, a defacto denial of the incarnation of Christ, and therefore a voluntary rejection of the Christian Faith. Just saying.
I have little room left in my New Testament for highlights, underlines, and marginal notes. Reading the Bible isn't a competition but one would be hard-pressed to have read it more often than I have. Nowhere does it require men to follow un-biblical traditions; wear special garb; kiss pictures or the hem of the priest; swing incense burners; carry golden staves; bow to statues; or worship in a gigantic, ornate, man-made building. Show me in the book of John where any of the above is required.

Quote:
If you wish to make yourself useful around here, perhaps you could focus your efforts on keeping your western Christian brethren in check so we do not have to correct their errors in open forum.
I suppose what you're ACTUALLY trying to say here is that YOU are more "useful" than the average Joe. You make my point!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2020, 08:10 AM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Cat has never claimed to be a perfect Christian. In fact, no follower of Jesus, including the apostles, would claim such a thing,

The traditions of the Christian church exist so that we can effectively implement the teachings of the scriptures in our lives. Jesus didnít say walk down the aisle and pray a prayer to follow me. He said take up your cross and follow me.
I agree that we need to "take up the cross" and follow Jesus Christ. We need to repent and die to our sins. That includes the sin of self-righteousness.

But "taking up the cross" doesn't mean that one needs to wear special garb or worship in an over-sized, ornate building, or burn incense. Those are "traditions of men." To look down ones nose and chastise others for NOT following those traditions is very much like the attitude of the Pharisees at the time of Christ. They wore their special clothing and prayed on the street corner for all to see and sneered at them who didn't "do as they did."

Getting locked into "tradition" over Scripture is a dangerous thing in my honest opinion. But many there be who seem addicted to their rituals, routines, traditions, and man-made doctrines.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:26 AM
Survivor

I just heard it on TV;
ďNobunny knows Easter better than the Cadbury Bunny!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 11:55 AM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 34,105 Times in 11,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
The truth about Easter
It is both secular and religious
100% agree.

As a student of history, I find it fascinating that the history of Christian's biggest holy days were made to coincide with pre-existing pagan holidays. Easter is to celebrate the goddess Ishtar (aka whore of Babylon) who is the goddess of fertility and sex.

Because of the rabbit's prodigious sexual prowess, they have become associated with this ancient celebration of fertility. I do like being able to explain the secular or pagan history of such things to people beginning to question the world around them.

In comparison to the Christian significance, these festival origins pale. Yes, we can be grateful for the circle of life, the planting of seed leading to an abundant harvest but we should not worship it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
Every day is Sacred to me
To me as well, as it should be to us all.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Cat has never claimed to be a perfect Christian.
Perhaps but he certainly implies everyone else is less perfect than he.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:17 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterEnergy View Post
100% agree.

As a student of history, I find it fascinating that the history of Christian's biggest holy days were made to coincide with pre-existing pagan holidays. Easter is to celebrate the goddess Ishtar (aka whore of Babylon) who is the goddess of fertility and sex.

Because of the rabbit's prodigious sexual prowess, they have become associated with this ancient celebration of fertility. I do like being able to explain the secular or pagan history of such things to people beginning to question the world around them.

In comparison to the Christian significance, these festival origins pale. Yes, we can be grateful for the circle of life, the planting of seed leading to an abundant harvest but we should not worship it.

To me as well, as it should be to us all.

The Holy day of Passover only coincides with Easter because that's about the time of Christ's resurrection. I don't believe it was "made to coincide" with pagan festivals.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:00 PM
Survivor

I suspect the problem began as pagan customs were incorporated into the church’s ceremonies. This was done to make the gospel more attractive to non-Christians as were voodoo practices incorporated into some.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
The Holy day of Passover only coincides with Easter because that's about the time of Christ's resurrection. I don't believe it was "made to coincide" with pagan festivals.
Then you are unaware of the Pagan determination of Easter, not a day of a month but relative to the Spring Equinox.
Be prudent, always. Worry, never. Jer 15:16
Old 03-26-2020, 05:02 PM
It's ok to be white

Thanked 93,316 Times in 24,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
I suspect the problem began as pagan customs were incorporated into the church’s ceremonies. This was done to make the gospel more attractive to non-Christians as were voodoo practices incorporated into some.
(Even worse) In (Acts 12:4) the word Easter in the KJV is a sad example of biased and dishonest translating. As most Bible students know, the Greek word behind "Easter" in the passage is pascha which actually means passover.

All of the main newer Bible translations have honestly corrected this error in the KJV.

I agree with you, some dirty deals were made to make Christianity more appealing to pagan religions of the day by adopting some of their customs.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OhioMan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 09:44 PM
Survivor

The two come close but do not always coincide. Easter is chosen to land on Sunday whereas Passover is always the 15th of Nisan by the Hebrew calendar. Since the Hebrews use a 30 day calendar the two can drift to being a month apart.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post: