Advertise Here

Old 01-21-2020, 06:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,136 Times in 10,526 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Sure.

But with little way to defend against an epidemic we could very well end up being the ones reduced.
Does it really matter?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 06:14 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,837 Times in 588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckleberry View Post
`

Here's the article mentioned in the video. Guy showed NO symptoms when he arrived. Screening is going to be useless.

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/new-v...homish-county/
Good thing there are no homeless people in Seattle to transmit this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prepper_Ed For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 06:14 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 10,448 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Indeed. Pandemics scare me more than any other scenario. I would rather face nuclear weapons.
To put the current pandemic in context, the mortality rate so far, it has killed 2% of those infected. No news on what types of people are most vulnerable, but it is normally the very young/old and those with chronic illness. Spanish Flu did the opposite however, mostly killing otherwise healthy adolescents.

Quote:
Unless you live in constant isolation by the time a survivalist knows its time to pull up the bridges, its too late.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanis...ly_second_wave

It was actually the later waves of infection from the Spanish Flu that killed the most people - so self isolation is still a good capability/strategy.

Quote:
Its impossible to contain a disease in the modern world. We have just been lucky so far.
Very True - like many other things, it is a matter of when rather than if.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 06:15 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 82,373 Times in 23,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepper_Ed View Post
One theory being tossed around is that a super-carrier spread an abnormally large amount of virus to the hospital workers.
I thought you were talking about an aircraft carrier there for a minute.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 06:22 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepper_Ed View Post
Good thing there are no homeless people in Seattle to transmit this.
Between that, the armies of leaf blowers and pressure washers in this country, we are so screwed if something bad this way comes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 06:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,424 Times in 4,638 Posts

Quote:
Indeed. Pandemics scare me more than any other scenario. I would rather face nuclear weapons.

Unless you live in constant isolation by the time a survivalist knows its time to pull up the bridges, its too late.

Its impossible to contain a disease in the modern world. We have just been lucky so far.
Somehow...this does not scare me one bit. I lost a little sleep over our potential loss of 2A here in Virginia, but a few sick people ( what like 5 dead so far?) is not even going to make me blink. When you have SO many scary thing going on right now here in our very own country ( politics) , some stupid corona virus ( that's like a cold) in China is so not a thing to worry about to me. Am I really the only one that feels that way?! I saw the big headline on Drudge today that someone in Washington got it. Still not worried. It's like the Ebola thing all over ( only way less of a big deal) . If I was a betting person, I would definitely bet that this is a non event
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 06:48 PM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 39,125 Times in 9,350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
Somehow...this does not scare me one bit. I lost a little sleep over our potential loss of 2A here in Virginia, but a few sick people ( what like 5 dead so far?) is not even going to make me blink. When you have SO many scary thing going on right now here in our very own country ( politics) , some stupid corona virus ( that's like a cold) in China is so not a thing to worry about to me. Am I really the only one that feels that way?! I saw the big headline on Drudge today that someone in Washington got it. Still not worried. It's like the Ebola thing all over ( only way less of a big deal) . If I was a betting person, I would definitely bet that this is a non event
There are 2 groups of coronavirus. 1 is upper respiratory and causes colds. The other is lower respiratory and causes your lungs to fill with fluid and drown you. This is in the 2nd group. Unfortunately they both spread the same. So your chances of avoiding this virus now that it's out of control is about the same as you not getting a cold. Except this one has a 1 in 20 chance of killing you. The cold has a practically zero chance.

I'm going to bet everyone you know got a cold last year. How would you like for one of them to be dead, and the rest put in the hospital with many of them requiring ICU treatment with the fluid being drained from their lungs and possibly even put on a ventilator?

This experience is enough to not only completely overwhelm and destroy the normal operations of our healthcare system, but to ruin our economy as well, possibly even triggering violent chaos in some locations.

And it's not 'over there.' It's over here and everywhere else. In a matter of a couple weeks it has multiplied 100x and spread to 3 continents and at least 5 countries. In another 2 weeks we may be looking at 30,000. In another 2 weeks 3 million. The world in a matter of a couple months at that rate. Spanish flu, which is equivalent, took all of about a year to burn its way across the world. You can expect this one to do it in much less time than that thanks to 100 years worth of travel technology advancement.

So I certainly hope you're the only one here who's dismissing it.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 06:59 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 35,737 Times in 10,150 Posts

Colt's right, Way worse than Ebola ever thought about being. THIS is the 1 you need to be scared of, because if it hits here in my area i'm a dead duck due to my chronic lowered immune system. So, believe me, I am scared ****less.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 07:03 PM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 6,477 Times in 1,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackriver View Post
Yes and sorry. I can't delete the post via the app, or at least i can't figure out how to do it.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
I took care of it.

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 07:04 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Yup, if it spreads like the flu, then everyone pretty much gets exposed.
If it is a new flu that you have no immunity to, then the death rate will be high.
Just hope they make a vaccine for it in time.

I know I am critical of the many many vaccines they push, but I will be standing in line like everyone else for a vaccine to a virus like this.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:05 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,563 Times in 476 Posts

Quote:
Would you like a cookie?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterWiggin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 07:12 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXplowgirl View Post
Colt's right, Way worse than Ebola ever thought about being. THIS is the 1 you need to be scared of, because if it hits here in my area i'm a dead duck due to my chronic lowered immune system. So, believe me, I am scared ****less.
This one is more scary than Ebola because of transmutation and apathy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterWiggin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 07:21 PM
Getting There

Thanked 1,012 Times in 153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
There are 2 groups of coronavirus. 1 is upper respiratory and causes colds. The other is lower respiratory and causes your lungs to fill with fluid and drown you. This is in the 2nd group. Unfortunately they both spread the same. So your chances of avoiding this virus now that it's out of control is about the same as you not getting a cold. Except this one has a 1 in 20 chance of killing you. The cold has a practically zero chance.

So I certainly hope you're the only one here who's dismissing it.
Curious, where are you getting a 1 in 20 mortality rate? Not being a terd, actually curious. I have only seen a 2 % or so rate which is likely to go up with a lag but we don't know how much at this moment. Did I miss another statistic?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kitkatbar For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 07:25 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,886 Times in 474 Posts

To put this in perspective: there has been one (1) case in the US as of now, in Snohomish County, WA.

In WA state alone, this flu season, there have been over 200 flu deaths.

Now, IF this virus does turn out to be as easily spread as the flu is, then there is a MAJOR cause for concern....but as Willy Shakespeare once said, "much virtue in 'if'".

At this point in time, the CDC reps are saying "nothing to worry about, go about your regular activities. I'd take my baby out." I suspect, when more patients appear (I mean, c'mon, the guy was on an aircraft coming back from China! How many people got sick on the trip?) that this advice will change....a lot..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oneeyeross For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 07:26 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
Curious, where are you getting a 1 in 20 mortality rate? Not being a terd, actually curious. I have only seen a 2 % or so rate which is likely to go up with a lag but we don't know how much at this moment. Did I miss another statistic?
He might be making a professional guess based on extensive experience?

Colt is a great resource for thus stuff
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeterWiggin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 07:28 PM
Getting There

Thanked 1,012 Times in 153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWiggin View Post
He might be making a professional guess based on extensive experience?

Colt is a great resource for thus stuff
Yep, I remember him from the Ebola thred. I was in the DFW metroplex during that time. I know he is knowledgeable. Just didn't know if new info came up.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kitkatbar For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 07:29 PM
Prepared

Quote:
I really can't understand why people get all upset about a few sick people in another country. Even if 5000 die , it's still not much compared to the 7 billion and growing humans on this planet.
It would take at least a few percent of humans to get it, before I even consider worrying about it
Spanish flu killed 50-90 million people, scaling up to current population that would be 210-350 million deaths. It all starts with a few.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to margaritaman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 07:30 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Quote:
I speculated 5% mortality as well.
Deaths lag the statistics.

"Most coronaviruses spread the same way other cold-causing viruses do, through infected people coughing and sneezing, by touching an infected person's hands or face, or by touching things such as doorknobs that infected people have touched.Oct 20, 2017"
https://www.webmd.com/www.webmd.com › lung › coronavirus
Old 01-21-2020, 07:36 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Yep, I remember him from the Ebola thred. I was in the DFW metroplex during that time. I know he is knowledgeable. Just didn't know if new info came up.
Also his breakdown of poor protocol by his co-worker with cdiff thread and how he had to fix that mess. Big fan of his posts
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeterWiggin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 07:39 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,344 Times in 1,368 Posts

I have been seeing that China has Quarateen a City of 11 Million People. How the heck do you keep that many people in. Have They built a Wall around the city in just a day or so? LOL

I am sure they have escapees running wild to get away from the mayhem happening that City