Prepping for initial raids - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 12-30-2019, 08:23 PM

Default Prepping for initial raids

Advertise Here

So we live in a town of 30,000. I imagine, in our area, most are of the "uncle sugar will come and help" or 'why would I invest all that money in a rainy day shelf'? Our rental population is pretty high here....not a reflection on income as much as mindset. We rented here for 14 years, have a pretty good sense of the mood.

We're currently a block from the edge of the wrong side of town as it be. I guesstimate that a large scale (bigger than local) event that led to a lack of food (disease outbreak, financial upset) or other resources would see us about a week before things got interesting. Our hypothesis is that beyond the oddball begging, the more organized groups would manifest a week or so into the game.

We have a view of about 1000 feet down our road at the longest stretch, perhaps the same down the hill (road) if we walk out to the corner of our postage stamp. Because of outbuildings, we'd need a handful of folks keeping watch.

Assuming we stay, and wanting ammo and long guns to be affordable, im looking for recommendations for reach out and touch at 1000 to 1500 feet. Targets will be the band of thugs, not well organized/armored types. Id like to have 2 or 3 rifles in a common caliber, perhaps 1 more for further distances. 223 is perhaps the smallest id go. I think.

Im also not versed in figuring distances with any accuracy. Not sure how to approach that.

Looking forward.to hearing your urban scenario and weapon choice.

Sya
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Siryaksalot For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2019, 08:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 20,087 Times in 8,541 Posts

Quote:
I'm also not versed in figuring distances with any accuracy. Not sure how to approach that.
Best way, now while the law still works, is to get out and walk the area. Take a notebook and record your paces to landmarks. The old 31" pace is still the most trouble-free range finder available to most of us.

City maps can be a big help in this department too.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2019, 08:45 PM
Wildlife Proctologist

Thanked 6,418 Times in 1,613 Posts

IMHO, accuracy is more important than a caliber. I would suggest a good scope and plenty of range time practicing. Range time doesn't have to be 500 yard shots with a 308, there is a lot of value in shooting tight groups at 50 yards with a 22 or a 17. Also, you won't be able to defend a home 24/7 by yourself especially in a town. Not an easy task but I would try to find some close friends who share your views and work together.

A Remington 700 in a 308 is a pretty standard way to reach out and touch deer but I have also killed deer at 200 yards with a 30-30.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to beaner For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2019, 08:51 PM
Free-ish Man

Thanked 1,970 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siryaksalot View Post
Assuming we stay, and wanting ammo and long guns to be affordable, im looking for recommendations for reach out and touch at 1000 to 1500 feet. Targets will be the band of thugs, not well organized/armored types. Id like to have 2 or 3 rifles in a common caliber, perhaps 1 more for further distances. 223 is perhaps the smallest id go. I think.
Get an AR or several. If you want something with more punch out further, get a .308. Accuracy and quality is cheaper in a bolt gun but it has obvious limitations.
Quote:
Im also not versed in figuring distances with any accuracy. Not sure how to approach that.
Go for a walk and pace it off.
Quote:
Sya
You'll hear plenty. This'll be a long thread rehashing things that have been debated, ad nauseum, on this and other forums for years.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SBK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2019, 09:28 PM
Target Shooter

You can use apps on android, like huntstand, it lets you walk out and will give you distance and you can also save it all to a map.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Juts89mj For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2019, 09:53 PM
Sheepdog in Wolf clothing

Thanked 5,252 Times in 1,684 Posts

Don't spend your money on long range weapons if you're planning to be besieged in the middle of a town. After your first shot down that long stretch, the opposition is going to approach under cover. Get yourself some up close and personal weapons like AR-15s and Shotguns and prepare to meet them on the porch.

Was it me, I would invest that $$ into a good BOV instead, but that's me.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cannonfoddertfc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2019, 10:13 PM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,658 Times in 8,879 Posts

Former Army sniper here. I'll make it simple for you. Get a rifle in any of these calibers:
7.62 NATO, 5.56/.223 or 7.62 X 39. Any rifle you get will cover the distance you're describing for needing to cover and they're all pretty good for such survival shooting needs.

What can give you a real edge is to simply mount a Trijicon reflex sight or a telescopic sight on top of one of these rifles. If you have a semi-automatic rifle in the form of a good M-1A, M-21, AR rifle or a decent AK variant with a scope mounted on it with some extra magazines for it, you'll be ready to meet most threats coming at you.

I like to push what the Filipino Marine Scout-Snipers have done with their old M-16 rifles, some cheap Tasco scopes and use of 62 grain bullets. They've worked out a pretty decent system for sniping in their neck of the woods without going into a great amount of debt to get the job done.

https://filipinoinventionsanddiscove...ifle-mssr.html

http://www.snipercentral.com/philipp...-sniper-rifle/

If nothing else, mounting a simple 4, 6, 10 or 12 power scope on your rifle works real well once you have it zeroed for 100 yard shooting. Use of a simple 4 power scope will enhance your overall accuracy like it does for our troops who use the 4 power ACOG scopes.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:24 PM
Nunquam Non Paratus

Thanked 3,386 Times in 1,151 Posts

1500' is plenty doable with 5.56 with practice. Every Marine used to qualify at 500 yards with an M16A1 with iron sights. Take a decent AR in 5.56 add a moderate scope and there is no reason you can't get solid hits at 1500'.

Edit to add: I see Herd Sniper beat me to the punch, and was much more detailed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jchavasu For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2019, 03:12 AM
Are we there yet?

Ar15 in 223 rem is not a 1500 yard round. It will get there but would have almost no energy and would have difficulty stopping a little girl on bicycle much less a vehicle. I shoot steel at 1500 yards and use a 300 win mag with 215 GRn Bergerís. Itís by far the most popular long-range hunting round... with 6.5 creedmore coming in at a close 2nd.

You also need to consider permanent vs temporary civil unrest. If you kill someone at 1500 yards, it will be difficult to claim self defense unless they are dropping mortars on you. If temporary SHTF, you will go to jail when law and order is restored.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jardo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2019, 06:15 AM
Hail to the King, Baby

Thanked 3,942 Times in 1,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardo View Post
Ar15 in 223 rem is not a 1500 yard round. It will get there but would have almost no energy and would have difficulty stopping a little girl on bicycle much less a vehicle. I shoot steel at 1500 yards and use a 300 win mag with 215 GRn Bergerís. Itís by far the most popular long-range hunting round... with 6.5 creedmore coming in at a close 2nd.

You also need to consider permanent vs temporary civil unrest. If you kill someone at 1500 yards, it will be difficult to claim self defense unless they are dropping mortars on you. If temporary SHTF, you will go to jail when law and order is restored.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think they were saying 1500 FEET, not yards.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DisgruntledPatriot For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2019, 07:31 AM
Free-ish Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardo View Post
Ar15 in 223 rem is not a 1500 yard round.
Good thing he's not trying to shoot that far.
Quote:
im looking for recommendations for reach out and touch at 1000 to 1500 feet.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SBK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2019, 07:33 AM
Free-ish Man

Quote:
and wanting ammo and long guns to be affordable,
Define, "affordable".
Quote:
Targets will be the band of thugs, not well organized/armored types.
I'm curious how you know this?
The Following User Says Thank You to SBK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2019, 11:30 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,660 Times in 1,172 Posts

A few things to consider. People of all ages and types join the military and learn tactics. They can teach them to their group. You might be keeping the heads down on the ones you see and be flanked easily by a smaller group. 1500 feet is about 500 yards. Any hunting rifle can do that fairly consistently.

Last edited by Offrink; 01-03-2020 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: Reread and edited my improper distance.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2019, 02:21 PM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 19,562 Times in 5,149 Posts

Quote:
So we live in a town of 30,000. I imagine, in our area, most are of the "uncle sugar will come and help" or 'why would I invest all that money in a rainy day shelf'? Our rental population is pretty high here....not a reflection on income as much as mindset. We rented here for 14 years, have a pretty good sense of the mood.

We're currently a block from the edge of the wrong side of town as it be. I guesstimate that a large scale (bigger than local) event that led to a lack of food (disease outbreak, financial upset) or other resources would see us about a week before things got interesting. Our hypothesis is that beyond the oddball begging, the more organized groups would manifest a week or so into the game.

We have a view of about 1000 feet down our road at the longest stretch, perhaps the same down the hill (road) if we walk out to the corner of our postage stamp. Because of outbuildings, we'd need a handful of folks keeping watch.

Sya
1000ft=333yrds and 1500ft=500yrds. IMO you should follow Herd Sniper's advice

Also keep in mind that "snipping" peeps from that range can get you trouble unless they are shooting at you from the same distance. Like another poster stated, if its a temporary type SHTF the law gonna come knocking asking why you were shooting a people from that distance unless they were presenting an immediate threat to your life.

Best to meet them outside of your home once they step on your property but be PREPARED and have someone positioned in a concealed stationary flanking position covering you so if trouble breaks out they can start taking them out, they'll likely scatter like cockroaches when turning on a light. If a flanking position isn't possible then covering your position from a window might be the next best option

In the unlikely event of an end of the world/zombie apocalypse type situation then avoidance/not engaging is the best practice.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2019, 04:02 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 11,636 Times in 2,861 Posts

Quote:

Sya
WHATEVER you buy, pop the bucks and mount a Shepherd scope on it. All the elevations will be figured out for you faster than any other system out there short of one of those big buck computer scopes. Basically, fit into the circle and pull the trigger. That quick. That simple.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2020, 10:20 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,378 Times in 532 Posts

If you want something affordable that will give you some range beyond an AR platform, check out the Remington 783 in .308. It's a lightweight version of their popular 700 series, and places like Cabela's have a package that includes a 3-9x40 scope for around $350. It's far from a world-class sniper system, but it's a quality long-range rifle/scope combo to complement your closer-in weapons.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnmcd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2020, 10:28 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,069 Times in 1,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov47 View Post

Also keep in mind that "snipping" peeps from that range can get you trouble unless they are shooting at you from the same distance. Like another poster stated, if its a temporary type SHTF the law gonna come knocking asking why you were shooting a people from that distance unless they were presenting an immediate threat to your life.

In the unlikely event of an end of the world/zombie apocalypse type situation then avoidance/not engaging is the best practice.
Best advice of the thread, OP, read the above again and rethink your plans.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to woowoo2 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2020, 11:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,490 Posts

OP: move. Now.

If you think something of the sort you describe is likely.

It’s not survivable. Unless you move when it occurs, then you would be far worse off then moving now.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2020, 03:39 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 19,862 Times in 5,941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK View Post
I'm curious how you know this?
Guys like the OP concern me more than the "horde". I can see plenty of folks getting shot when checking on a family member or coming home. Especially if they don't fit the color or appearance the sniper approves of.

Is that a looter stealing a generator or simply rolling it across the street to help the old lady who lives alone? Hard to tell at a distance.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2020, 03:30 PM
Fenced In

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,884 Posts

I too live on a "postage stamp" in a residential part of a larger city (80k) and have a comparable line of sight in either direction along my street. Not so close to a particularly bad part of town, but if trouble is likely to come, I can make a fairly educated guess from its direction. Based on the OP and on some of the points raised in responses, I think this sounds like a situation that calls for something suitable for in-home defense with the capability of reaching out further in the event of true WROL conditions. In other words, an AR.

Shooting down the street 300+ yards only helps you if your neighborhood truly turns into a war zone. Make home defense (meaning on your property) the higher priority, which is best achieved with something easily maneuverable. An AR15 in .223/5.56 with a 1:7-twist barrel of 11.5" or longer can push a 55gr M193 FMJ fast enough to yaw and fragment, but also get accurate shots out to the distances described with 75gr match ammo if that's a legitimate need; I'm a firm believer in bonded SP from 62gr up to 75gr for defensive duties. A decent 1-4X or 1-6X optic can work well across multiple roles.

Just remember, if you weren't already considered a target before you started shooting, you will be once you start sending lead downrange. Well, unless you are shooting from concealment with a suppressor, maybe...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Inazone For This Useful Post: