Why does everyone say get a 9mm? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 11-26-2019, 07:58 AM
Pusher of brooms

Default Why does everyone say get a 9mm?

Advertise Here

Okay, maybe not everyone but a surprising number of people keep saying that the 9mm is the way to go. The FBI, police, blah blah blah.

Why should I change? What does the 9mm give me that I can't get from the .45ACP besides extra ammunition?

It's not like I would be adding a caliber, I've had 9's before and still have all the reloading stuff.

Had the 1911 at the range and had some super soft loads in it, 185 @650. Cutting these nice round holes in the paper, and less recoil than the 9's and 40's everyone else was shooting.
These loads also knock down small game really well.

Why change?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Late2Prep For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 08:05 AM
Retired Army

Thanked 9,324 Times in 3,601 Posts

If you are happy, don't change.

Al

ďAny society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.Ē- Benjamin Franklin

Always looking for .458 SOCOM brass, Bayonets and Surplus gun parts.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:08 AM
S.O.S.

Cost and availability. Especially if it ever came down to post-shtf availability. 9mm is everywhere

You're going to be hard pressed to find .45 in any disabled squad cars, abandoned jail/prisons, armories, etc. I'm sure some departments are still using it, but again, 9mm is everywhere.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to T.$.Racing For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2019, 08:35 AM

I second all of that.

The 9mm is lighter, cheaper, more readily available.
If we go to the range to goof off the 9mm is one of the most comfortable to shoot. For me and the kids anyway. If we shoot the 380 or 40, 45 you can still feel it later in the day where as the 9mm doesn't wear you out.
I'm sure some do.

If you just shoot for fun or carry for defense it is just easier and cheaper.
Also consider if it is stolen out of the pickup or something then no big deal $300 and you have another that shoots great out of the box.

In the end if you feel like you are prepared and won't have to scavenge for ammo then you are set.

Better to be accurate with your pistol than change just because something is easier to find or cheaper.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tiha For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 08:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,084 Times in 2,073 Posts

Why does everyone say get a 9mm?

.....because it's what THEY have.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to woodyp For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 09:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,469 Times in 2,520 Posts

Because its practical and economical.

Would I rather use my 1911? Yes!!! But 45 ACP ammo is quite hefty, rather bulky and cost a good bit more than 9mm. With todays technology in bullet design the 9mm is not nearly as hamstrung as it once was. It provides some pretty good results on target. Couple that too, to its wide spread use and availability, it surpasses many other calibers. From a survivalist stand point....the military uses it in great quantities. That greatly increases the odds of its availability and drives the cost per a round down considerably! The fact that its so widely used in this country, not to mention others, makes once fired brass about as cheap as it gets making reloading very worth while.

With all that going for it and I didnt even cover all the bases, you can see why its very popular among preppers and survivalist. Is it the end all and beat all compared to other options? Certainly not, but it does offer a whole lot to the vast majority. I could write a short, maybe not so short, story as to why I have gravitated back to it as my main pistol caliber. If its not for you, then use what fits your needs best, its all good!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LuniticFringeInc For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 09:45 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 38,137 Times in 10,543 Posts

I now have a 9mm in the house (Wifes gun) but I am not at all sold on the cartridge. Since I have enough 40 cal brass to fill a couple 5 gal pails, and 3-4,000 rds loaded, I dont much care about what cartridges others may have lying around.

My 40 cal reloads are effective, and a lot cheaper than your new technology 9mm factory loads.
Old technology 9mm factory loads and all fmj loads in 9mm still suck.

So why would I choose an inferior cartridge and pay more for barely acceltable ammo, when I can continue to use the better cartridge, and produce my own ammo.

Recoil? I cut my teeth shooting a 357 mag, then spent another decade shooting a 44 mag.
The 40 cal does not recoil enough to notice, and honestly my new 10mm does not recoil much either.

If you are issued good modern commercial defense ammo by your employeer, then a 9mm is an option. Keep in mind its going to take an average person several years, and several thousand rounds before shooting becomes automatic.

If you have to buy your own ammo, you would end up shooting military surplus 9mm FMJ ball ammo, and those rounds poke tinny little holes in people. Shooters buy the cheap surplus 9mm strickly as range ammo, but I suspect they will get stuck using it for defense, because its all they had.

Civilians who must buy their own ammo would be much better served buying a 40 cal pistol, a Dillion 550B, dies, and a casting mold, and start filling a 5 gal pail with empty brass.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 11:01 AM
Apocaloptimist

Thanked 6,461 Times in 1,715 Posts

I hear it all the time as well...from limp wrists and people that can't aim.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ClovisMan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 12:26 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,035 Times in 833 Posts

The best cal. is the one you like.
Hitting your target is much more important than cal.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stinky For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 12:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 29,855 Times in 7,719 Posts

Well, one of the arguments is itís close to a .38, less recoil and most importantly it allows you to stay on target better. If you can stay on target with the .45, no real reason to change. The .45 certainly has more stopping power with a single shot..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 01:05 PM

Caliber wars... fun fun. 9mm bullet technology has come a long way but so have all the other calibers. I've come full circle... carried a P220, then a sr9c, Sig ultra in 45 (officers size 1911) and now I'm back to a 4" 1911 in 9mm. The 9mm +P adds a bit to a carry gun and you can carry a lot more 9mm than 45.

I also have a P226 in 40/357 sig and a 10mm long slide double stack that I would feel more comfortable with if I ever truly needed it. The flipside is that both are cumbersome to carry and its a lot easier to grab a wonder 9 and a couple spare mags. Carry whatever you like.
The Following User Says Thank You to hinkak For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 01:59 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 11,420 Times in 2,829 Posts

BELIEVE ME...

"EVERYONE" does not pray to that god.

I have a group of 20 friends I have known and shot with for about 40 years. ALL of them have years and years of experience with a lot of them combat vets from our time and not a one carries a 9mm. Some .40s, a couple of 10mm, but the rest .45acp in a 1911 of some form.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 02:09 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 40,636 Times in 9,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late2Prep View Post
Okay, maybe not everyone but a surprising number of people keep saying that the 9mm is the way to go. The FBI, police, blah blah blah.

Why should I change? What does the 9mm give me that I can't get from the .45ACP besides extra ammunition?

It's not like I would be adding a caliber, I've had 9's before and still have all the reloading stuff.

Had the 1911 at the range and had some super soft loads in it, 185 @650. Cutting these nice round holes in the paper, and less recoil than the 9's and 40's everyone else was shooting.
These loads also knock down small game really well.

Why change?
With the correct ammunition (premium hollow points), the 9mm simply can perform approximately the same as a .45acp. If you're limited to ball ammo, the .45 offers better performance.

If you like the .45, keep it. But as it's probably obvious, the 9x19 offers tremendous advantages of lower cost (which equals more training and stockpiling), lower weight per round (you can easily transport or carry more), and greater capacity, sometimes twice as much for the same size/weight gun.

And as much as I like a 1911 in .45 as iconic and a workhorse, those guns are less reliable, far heavier, and 1/2 the capacity as a modern polymer 9mm. And a good one generally costs 2x or more than another pistol. That's just the reality. Almost nobody much carries the 1911 for serious jobs anymore.

I have many calibers and the .45 is in my stable. But the .45 is rarely my first choice in home defense or carry.

From a practical civilian, concealed carrier, prepper, ammo hoarder, or armed professional the .45 acp and 1911 really don't offer much in terms of practical performance over all the 9mm offerings.

Two typical scenarios, with approximates:
*1911 in .45
* Quality reliable tuned 1911: $1000
* .45 ammo generally 40 cents per round
* Magazines generally 7-10 rounds
* Weight 44+ oz (3 lbs) loaded

Glock 19 or 17 9x19
* $500 and generally totally reliable
*9mm ammo is 20 cents per round
* Magazines hold 15-17 rounds
* Weight loaded ~31 oz (2-2.5 lbs).

So, in summary, guns costs more, weigh more, carry less and more expensive ammo which also weighs more, and you have lower capacity and the bullets do essentially the same damage.

YMMV.

Happy trails.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 02:50 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.$.Racing View Post
Cost and availability. Especially if it ever came down to post-shtf availability. 9mm is everywhere

You're going to be hard pressed to find .45 in any disabled squad cars, abandoned jail/prisons, armories, etc. I'm sure some departments are still using it, but again, 9mm is everywhere.
If everyone is using it, why would it be abandoned? I doubt you will find ammo just lying around in any one of those places you listed. Maybe someones home but the Armories, cars, police stations etc are not the places to look for ammo. During the ammo scare I could always find 40 S&W and 45ACP, in the stores, not 9mm.

If you aint got it, you aint got it.

OP, use what you like, and stack your ammo deep.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Palma For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 03:24 PM
Awesome

Thanked 25,837 Times in 8,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas View Post
Well, one of the arguments is itís close to a .38, less recoil and most importantly it allows you to stay on target better. If you can stay on target with the .45, no real reason to change. The .45 certainly has more stopping power with a single shot..
are you sure about that? how do you quantify "stopping power"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 03:28 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 28,972 Times in 10,158 Posts

What ever works for you. Don't count on getting more ammo from other places. Shoot now to develop your skill while its both legal and there is cheap ammo.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 03:54 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,635 Times in 1,165 Posts

Springfield xdm in 9 holds 19 +1. In 45 it holds 13 +1. Both work well.

I look for ease of hitting the target, follow up, and the speed the person shot will stop. The 45 provides a larger hole. Most shootings are only a few shots. For me I choose reduced capacity for a quicker bleed out speed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 04:17 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 10,119 Times in 3,140 Posts

I generally agree with all the above
The 9mm is a very efficient case
You have to decide what works for you
I like 150 plus grain subsonic cast bullets with the biggest possible meplat
I have a lot of both, .45 ACP and 9mm among others
Get what you like, use what you like
Not assuming this is a troll thread, but the horse is dead, why keep on beating it ???
Old 11-26-2019, 04:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 37,091 Times in 8,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
Not assuming this is a troll thread, but the horse is dead, why keep on beating it ???
A rhetorical question, right? Beating the dead horse seems to be about all some can do.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 04:50 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 11,420 Times in 2,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
With the correct ammunition (premium hollow points), the 9mm simply can perform approximately the same as a .45acp.

IF...and that is a HUGE IF... it works as advertised.

If a 9mm works GREAT.. it gets to .45

With a .45 you are starting at .45 and if the bullet expands it only gets better.
I saw a Black Talon .45 pulled out of a body at an autopsy that was an .71 when it came to rest in the dead guyz innerds.

No 9mm is ever making that one.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post: