Growing Meat Chickens More Efficiently - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 11-16-2019, 11:10 PM
Somewhere in a Plane

Thanked 1,014 Times in 390 Posts
Default Growing Meat Chickens More Efficiently

Advertise Here

Hello all.

Growing up, we used to grow some chickens for the table/ 4H, And Iíve always preferred home grown chicken since. I donít think I have to explain why to this group. Since moving out of my parentís home and going to college/living in the dorm, I have really missed the homegrown meat, and have been relishing the day when I eventually get to grow my own again. It looks like I may get the chance next year. The one caveat to it is, Iíll have to justify the cost of growing my own over buying my meat at the store to my girlfriend, especially since weíre in college.

Through some ballpark calculations, it cost my family roughly $3/lb of meat to grow our birds. I reached this number like this:

50lbs of food per week, $20 per bag, over 9 weeks, to get 12 birds at ~5 lbs each comes to $180/60lbs = $3/lb.

Our birds were a little smaller than the average 6-8 lbs that breed gets to, but that was because we allowed them to free range with the layer hens for most of their lives. Seems more humane to me, and made happier animals. Iíll continue this in the future.

So $3/lb isnít the most cost effective meat in the world, especially when it takes 9 weeks to get it. So what Iím looking for is a way to bring that cost/benefit ratio down a little.

What does everyone here do to grow meat chickens, and if you donít mind the prying, what is the cost per pound of the finished product?

Ideas?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobcat In The Woods For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 11:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 73,483 Times in 22,653 Posts

Look into sprouting, and black soldier fly's.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 04:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,742 Times in 1,397 Posts

Some of my relatives used to grind their own feed and mix it with the vegetable oil and grease they’d get for free from local restaurants. Not sure if you can feed any cheaper than that and not put weight on the birds quickly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fistfulladirt For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2019, 06:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,424 Times in 1,651 Posts

I am growing a batch right now, inside due to weather. I will have to check cost. $3/lb seems high. Higher than what I have done in the past anyways and I have included cost if chicks and electricity for heat lamp. The last time I crunched numbers it was about $2/pound.

In the last few years the feed conversion rate has improved. I started with my first meat birds about 20 years ago. I feed a higher protein ration than for my egg layers. I do not use a finisher feed as it just adds fat due to a large amount of corn. I think that helps with the cost. I figure roughly two pounds feed per one pound gain. Check around for feed cost.

If your birds are outside they can have garden waste thrown to them. Make sure they can get grit.
The taste and texture if the meat is so much better, you just need to raise a few to convince your gf.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 06:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,742 Times in 1,397 Posts

Of course, it does come down to taste. My Cornish rocks were fed a commercial feed but my wife and kids did not care so much for the somewhat gamey taste. Well, they’re used to store-bought anyway and usually won’t eat anything farm raised.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fistfulladirt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 10:40 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,148 Times in 550 Posts

Used to be when you bought 100 lbs of feed, you'd get 25 chicks FREE. Don't know if feed stores still use this method of advertising, but what started out being "just a few chickens" for Mom, quickly escalated to over 100+. So said, my mother ended up killing chickens for others, lol. This was in Kansas.
You might be able to keep the cost down if you look for freebies. Many move and have to get rid of chickens, but otherwise the upkeep can be horrendous as I recall. That might not be the case in Montana, but here in OK we had a new law passed that singled out raising a few for eggs in specific zip codes. Free range or not, I'd think you'd have supply SOME feed for them...don't you?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eyepal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 06:58 PM
patriarch

Thanked 6,247 Times in 2,954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
Of course, it does come down to taste. My Cornish rocks were fed a commercial feed but my wife and kids did not care so much for the somewhat gamey taste. Well, theyíre used to store-bought anyway and usually wonít eat anything farm raised.
We love cornish/rock chickens for butchering. We used to raise 25 for the freezer every year. Makes the best chicken & dumplings.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:44 PM
Somewhere in a Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
Of course, it does come down to taste. My Cornish rocks were fed a commercial feed but my wife and kids did not care so much for the somewhat gamey taste. Well, theyíre used to store-bought anyway and usually wonít eat anything farm raised.
We fed ours the grower feed from the local feed store. I donít remember the brand, but it was different from the stuff we feed the layers.

The home raised birds are definitely different than the commercial ones on the fork. Somewhat less soft, but more tender, if that makes sense. A friend of ours tried it once at our house and commented that it was chewy. No, it wasnít chewy, it just was composed of more actual meat than fat between the muscle strands. Itís leaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by two bits View Post
We love cornish/rock chickens for butchering. We used to raise 25 for the freezer every year. Makes the best chicken & dumplings.
Those are what we grew. Iíd like to get the Cornish hens and White Rock roosters and hatch my own. I know they wouldnít be the same, but they would still be fun to experiment with.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobcat In The Woods For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 04:13 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,424 Times in 1,651 Posts

Somehow the commercial birds are a four way cross, both parents are hybrid or something like that. The Cobb line is one that was done commercially. Lots and of info out there about people who have tried to hatch their own.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 09:02 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,368 Times in 2,654 Posts

The chickens in the stores are crossbreds for a reason. Breeding cornish cross leads to weak legs. Some will not be able to ambulate. Some will be fine but remember that when you breed hybrids the offspring will not all look like the parents. 20 years ago, when I raised chickens to sell at the swap meet, I bought heavy roosters from Murray McMurray (heavy all male). the local feed mill made a broiler feed for me. The south east asians liked the dark chickens best. there was a dark cornish cross developed by college in California. It was a three way cross. I remember one was a dark cornish, but I don't remember the other two. Just remember that white chickens were bred for food production as the pin feathers were less visible on the caurcus.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 09:56 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,520 Times in 1,103 Posts

As long as nothing is put on your lawn [pesticides, etc] you can feed the grass clippings to them.

They like watermelon, cantalope, etc. rinds. Some leftovers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Florida Jean For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 07:10 PM

I have been looking into sprouting forage for my chickens. Reading lots of conflicting information but still may give it a try. Some say it really cuts down on feed costs.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:22 PM
Trying to Catch-up

Thanked 36,348 Times in 15,413 Posts

I was reading about this on backyardchickens.com. Some say that feeding fermented feed and free-ranging really keeps down the cost of feed. I did fermenting feed for my laying hens, it actually did keep down the cost of food as they didn't eat as much. I have now stopped, cuz it is too darn cold and the food freezes in their bowl. They are going thru almost twice the food now
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kokosmom2 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 07:34 PM
Somewhere in a Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosmom2 View Post
I was reading about this on backyardchickens.com. Some say that feeding fermented feed and free-ranging really keeps down the cost of feed. I did fermenting feed for my laying hens, it actually did keep down the cost of food as they didn't eat as much. I have now stopped, cuz it is too darn cold and the food freezes in their bowl. They are going thru almost twice the food now

I know I like fermented corn, especially with coke.

I had never heard of that before. Do you just toss a bunch of corn in a bucket of water and yeast? Does the fermentation give a nutritional benefit?
Old 11-19-2019, 07:52 AM
gard'ner

Thanked 1,082 Times in 542 Posts

I can't really speak to bringing down the price of raising chickens to less than supermarket birds...
You gotta wonder, though... Just how unhealthy eating those fast raised birds are for us...

When my birds are eating weeds and produce from my organic garden... That's got to be better...
Recently, they've been getting lamb'squarter seed, spiny cucumber, winter squash, watermelon, and even sweet corn that got mature before getting picked...
Anything they don't eat... They keep stirred up and turned into compost... For the vegetable garden... Yesterday, I picked off all the frozen tomatoes and tossed those to them...

So... Those chickens are more flavorful... Much better tasting than those bland things from the supermarket...
Because they actually get some exercise... They develope some muscle tone... So I usually toss them in the pressure cooker... Add some vegetables after the bird is cooked... Single pot meal...
Hard to have a garden without chickens... Hard to have chickens without a garden...

Glad that you are figuring out how to get back to the land... Even while in college... Whether you can convince the girlfriend or not... Just go ahead and raise some birds... Usually they come around once they get to see the process from beginning to end.... And... If she refuses to eat the pet birds? Might be an indication of the need to find somebody else...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to st0n3 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 09:02 AM
GrowingFromScratch.com

Thanked 3,767 Times in 1,578 Posts

Are you intending to use GMO feed?
Old 11-19-2019, 12:29 PM
Somewhere in a Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Elvis View Post
Are you intending to use GMO feed?
Nope. Bar-Ale grower feed is typically what we use
Old 11-21-2019, 07:42 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,340 Times in 1,197 Posts

I am just finishing up processing 25 cornish x today. I will give you my numbers shortly.
The Following User Says Thank You to ebjr1967 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 07:47 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,340 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Jean View Post
As long as nothing is put on your lawn [pesticides, etc] you can feed the grass clippings to them.

They like watermelon, cantalope, etc. rinds. Some leftovers.

A mower bag of grass clippings a day, when it can be harvested, makes eggs golden and chickens happy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebjr1967 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2019, 06:56 PM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 27,626 Times in 8,146 Posts
Default caw

Never bothered to put the pencil to paper.

Just a WAG, maybe a buck per bird.