What to do with all those plastic bags you get at the store? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sugar in plastic bags valderie Food and water 17 02-16-2019 07:10 PM
How safe is bartering? pengyou Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 76 06-24-2018 01:46 AM
Which and how many tools should you have? pengyou DIY - Do It Yourself 22 04-15-2018 07:42 PM
Zip Loc Freezer Bags ploveles Food and water 18 10-24-2017 04:04 AM
Another Long Term Food Storage Question Klbsa Food and water 7 09-01-2017 04:14 AM

Old 02-19-2019, 03:06 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,021 Posts
Default What to do with all those plastic bags you get at the store?

Advertise Here

I was cruising Youtube the other day and found a lady that had a video on making bedrolls out of those plastic bags.. Nothing complicated, just need a bunch of bags you can cut into strips to knit with.. You'll need a Q size knitting needle and one of the rolling cutters.. and a little time..

She even put straps on it to tie it up when you roll it up and a shoulder strap to carry it with.

I'm gonna make one and see how long it takes, go to Walmart or a grocery store and raid those bins they have outside for customers to get rid of their used plastic bags..

Here's a video..

Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kl0an For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 03:34 AM
Run Silent, Run Dark

Thanked 1,545 Times in 526 Posts

We are not very creative, at our home they are used for lunch bags, small wastebasket liners, & bags for returnable cans and bottles. When I was a kid, one of the neighbor ladies that all the kids called Mamaw, made door mats & floor rugs out of bread wrappers. I always thought that was a good idea.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:36 AM
Sam Adams was right....

Thanked 21,439 Times in 6,012 Posts

put recyclables in them... then into the recycling bin...
The Following User Says Thank You to Steverino For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2019, 05:47 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,344 Times in 1,368 Posts

Where I live Those bags cost a Nickle a piece to take home stuff in. I carry my stuff without the bags. Screw the County and their illegal Nickle a Bag Tax!
Old 02-19-2019, 06:09 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,385 Times in 748 Posts

I keep a plastic bag stuffed with plastic bags under the kitchen sink. Sometimes a plastic bag comes in handy for carrying stuff.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to benson56 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 07:14 AM
Free of the Wilderness

Thanked 12,265 Times in 2,497 Posts

The town where I live has weekly recycling pick-up, but they don't want the plastic shopping bags.

The better quality bags (like from Target) get used as kitty litter scoop bags. Tie it off and throw it in the trash.

The Walmart where I go has a large bin in the entry foyer where plastic shopping bags can be dropped off for recycling, so that's where most of them end up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 10:05 AM
Hiker

Thanked 2,488 Times in 473 Posts

I plan to make reusable grocery totes out of my stash as soon as I can find the time for another project. Same principle as the bedroll. Just knit it up into a bag.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissFilthyPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 10:51 AM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,755 Times in 13,988 Posts

Cloth shopping bags. Washed after EVERY use. Errant plastic ones go in a coffee can in the truck because my hubby can never seem to find the dog poo bags.
I can however attest to their use as insulation in an emergency. We were bugged in for 9 days during an ice storm. We used plastic shower curtains and duct tape from our BOBS to cover the broken window, both sides. Then we dropped plastic bags and clean paper trash in the pocket created in the middle before finally sealing it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 10:59 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,399 Times in 882 Posts

We recycle most back to the stores they come from. Use a liners for most of our small trash bags. We also have cloth (various fibers) for cary bags--the grocery bags are too thin. When visiting Calif. we always use our carry bags.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 20,093 Times in 8,542 Posts

Those plastic bags are pretty good tinder. Let 'em burn out before cooking over the fire, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 08:03 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,437 Times in 586 Posts

I think just the trash bags could work for exterior wall insulation. Loosely wadded up and placed between the outer wall and sheetrock. Should help out well. Especially if your place has rock wool that has settled over the years. Maybe up in the attic where it could make a huge difference. Use in the rafters to make for a cold roof, if pitch is steep enough.

For use of the knitting, seems like a great project for homeless communities. Down side is finding someone that would actually put the effort in to making them for their own use.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,851 Times in 1,932 Posts

Actually the video is crocheting, if you want to try without purchasing a crochet hook you could carve one from a dowel or maybe a broomstick. It might be good for making a pet bed.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:06 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 29,029 Times in 10,171 Posts

I put my trash into the double sacked bags and throw it in the garbage can at the store. Takes me 2 weeks or more to fill one up. I bag pine cones in then for fire starter. Ice Cream containers get stuff with pine needles and cones for fire starting in the wood stove. I like the door mats and may make some soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 05:28 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 63,284 Times in 8,966 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I have made a few of the plastic grocery bag mats for the homeless. I used a technique that does not require crochet hooks. They turned out pretty decent, though I did have a little bit of a problem keeping the rows straight.

And I did test them out. They do work pretty well, considering the few other options homeless often have.

It takes a huge number of bags to make a full-size mat in the same size range as a regular camping self-inflating mattress. You can certainly make them smaller, but that kind of defeats the purpose of getting the body up off the ground for insulation and preventing water absorption into clothing and other bedding.

And I mean a huge number. You will need everyone you know collecting them for you for a couple of months, if not quite a bit more. Unless you just go in and take packets of them off the racks in stores. Or go to a business supply place and buy them a box at a time.

But if you can get enough bags, I think it well worth the actual construction effort to make a couple of the mats.

Just my opinion.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:06 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,804 Times in 3,600 Posts

Dog poo bags
Kitty litter box cleaning
Boot/shoe liners
Trash can liners
Car trash bags
Put gooky car tools in to carry them to where I clean them
Put wet stuff in to carry without getting me wet or making a mess (drip irrigation stuff, wet dog collars and leashes, wet clothes, etc.)
Put muddy/wet/salty boots inside to carry them inside to clean and dry
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 09:58 AM
Hunter

Any bags that are #2 or #4 get stuffed in another #2/#4 bag and hung in a closet to be returned to the grocery store that has a bag recycling bin. Lowe's has a bin too, in the entry where you recycle batteries and light bulbs.

Any non-recyclable plastic bags (no #2/#4 printed on the bag) get reused somehow. Usually they are liners for small waste baskets.

We try to avoid plastic bags at all cost; just another thing to manage and dispose of properly. I carry a large canvas tote bag and an insulated tote in my truck for impromptu grocery runs. Otherwise I opt for paper bags, and reuse the paper bags for our recycling and kitchen trash (we are careful not to put anything too nasty or liquid in the bag; stuff like that goes to compost, or tossed in the woods). If it's just 1 or 2 items, I carry them in my hands.

A shopping bag bed roll is an interesting idea. I could also see that being an outdoor mat for a young kid to sit/play on. May need to consider this!
Old 03-23-2019, 01:30 PM
Prepared

I keep them for shtf, when i bought my house the former owner left a hospital by the bed toilets. I will use it to line the catch pan to help with clean up and removal.

Last edited by Measuretwice; 03-23-2019 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: add comma
Old 03-24-2019, 12:01 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,418 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart View Post
Dog poo bags
Kitty litter box cleaning
Boot/shoe liners
Trash can liners
Car trash bags
Put gooky car tools in to carry them to where I clean them
Put wet stuff in to carry without getting me wet or making a mess (drip irrigation stuff, wet dog collars and leashes, wet clothes, etc.)
Put muddy/wet/salty boots inside to carry them inside to clean and dry
Back when I had chickens if it was rainy / muddy and I had to go back there to feed / care for them I used those bags to as boot covers to keep the muck off my clean boots. A simple and disposable saver of many minutes of cleaning otherwise...

Lately I cant seem to have enough of them to use as dog poo cleanup bags.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DG23 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 02:09 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,021 Posts

Well, for those of you just taking them back to the stores, do you really think they're recycling them? Especially if the company that picks up the trash and recyclables from your house won't take them..

As for where to get them from, a lot of stores have giant bins right by the front doors so you can drop off your used bags there. Just stop by there and dump the bin into the back of your truck. Tell them you're making ground cloths for the homeless to use.

I know there's pretty much a bin full in my garage waiting to be taken to the store but, I think I'm going to give this a try.

As for giving them to the homeless....

Give a man a ground cloth made out of plastic bags and he'll use it but not care what happens to it.

Teach a class on making ground cloths out of plastic bags and you might get some of the homeless "supporters" to spend a Saturday making a bunch of ground cloths..

Teach the homeless to make the ground cloths and... well, I really don't have a clue what they'll do if they make them.

It'd be nice if different homeless groups could make different things and trade them with other homeless groups.

Nobody just gives me anything unless I've earned it like my military retirement.. Why should we help the homeless that way?
Old 04-27-2019, 10:00 AM
Prepared

They banned those in California.......another stupid law from this stupid state. They want people to bring bags. But no one does and most carry their smaller purchases out in their carts and chuck them in their cars. Or for 10 cents you can buy a heavier plastic bag that does not break down as easily, thereby negating the purpose of the law in the first place. Brilliant.......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoodoo For This Useful Post: