Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PJ Media Columnists' "most underreported domestic news stories in 2013" and why MtnCat Political News and Discussion 0 12-30-2013 10:22 PM
Israel asks U.S. for advanced "bunker-buster" bombs and refueling planes kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 54 03-10-2012 05:06 PM
Media coins nutjob as a "survivalist/rambo" type NoMoreOp4 Controversial News and Alternative Politics 14 06-19-2011 12:05 PM
Everyone asks; "When is it Time?" klickitat Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 06-19-2011 07:25 AM
media demands that obama start "acting black" miss becky General Discussion 18 12-13-2010 06:07 AM
Discussing hidden history or "half truths" taught in school and media tankman1989 General Discussion 0 08-24-2010 08:42 PM
Wayne LaPierre sticks it to the media on the "mexican guns" issue d3athp3nguin Firearms General Discussion 3 03-28-2009 07:10 PM
Media notices ammo "hunger" on the part of the public Declan Controversial News and Alternative Politics 12 02-17-2009 05:09 AM

Old 03-30-2012, 07:08 AM
Old Git

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,307 Posts
Default The Media asks " Why Prep"

Advertise Here

The media asks “ why prep ?” is it we think the world will end in 2012, or Iran is going to invade Wolverhampton, Do we envisage a plague of locusts descending on the cider apple crop of Little Snitterton, are we expecting a Mega tsunami in the boating pool at Lytham St Anne’s ? Are thousands of Islamic extremists going to steal old Albert Smith 500 gallons of heating oil? No sorry to spoil your documentary but the facts are far more mundane.
Why prep is the question on many journalists, film makers and newsmen’s lips, from Channel 4 to Nat Geo they all want to know what drives people to (A) stockpile food that will last maybe a year or more, (B) why do we drive 4x4s generally, (C) why do we live away from cities, (D) why do we safely store extra diesel and petrol, (E) why do we have wood burning stoves.

Why?
(A) Because we may lose our jobs or truck drivers may go on strike so we use the food as insurance against hard times.
(B) Because we remember winter 2010 when even the police, army and government agencies got stuck, and villages got cut off for days with millions of people left helpless, we ensured we could help our neighbours.
(C) Because we see the effects of city gang crime, ethnic unrest, overcrowding, union control of public transport systems, the risk of pandemic disease and the utter reliance on the supply chain.
(D) Because we know what the general public are like and how easily they are panicked into knee jerk hysteria driven panic buying (look at the news from the 20th March 2012 to at least the 5Th March) just the remote possibility of a fuel tanker driver’s strike at least two weeks in the future was enough to make the sheeple panic buy thus causing chaos and a self-fulfilling prophecy of chaos.
(E) Because we have seen the reports about the vulnerability of the gas and oil supply system and its vulnerability to sudden surges in cost.
Why prep? Easy because it’s just common sense.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 07:11 AM
V

Thanked 34,645 Times in 13,901 Posts

I think that's the difference between the majority or British preppers to the majority of our colonial cousins........ the majority of us are not waiting for the TEOTWAWKI or a UN invasion, our concerns tend to be more mundane less dramatic and interesting.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Smudge For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 07:21 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Raider View Post
(A) stockpile food that will last maybe a year or more, (B) why do we drive 4x4s generally, (C) why do we live away from cities, (D) why do we safely store extra diesel and petrol, (E) why do we have wood burning stoves.
B) NOPE I don't even own a car, nevermind a 4x4, don't need one.

C) NOPE I live in the middle of a city

D) NOPE I don't store extra fuel at all

E) NOPE I don't have a wood burning stove, don't need one

I don't know where you've got this strange image of preppers from but it definitely doesn't apply to us all.

Anyway, if someone asked me "why prep", I'd say..

"Prepping? Do you even know what that means? Do you keep food in your fridge? Are you then, to an extent, not a prepper? Or do you constantly and only ever buy things completely on a whim? I thought not. Welcome to the world of prepping!

So we've established that virtually everyone is a prepper. Well we simply prep a little bit more long-term than you, like people have been doing for thousands of years. We're intelligent enough to see the fragility of modern day society. Non-preppers are weird - dogs bury their bones, squirrels store up their harvest, it's human nature to save for the future - but you sheeple live your lives completely dependent on the government and others to provide for you."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Fight the Good Fight

Everyone should have some basics on hand. Even the biggest hater against prepping could use candles/flashlight and food/water for a natural disater or power outage. Being somewhat prepared for the unknown is just a good idea
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to STHOMAS For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 09:29 AM
V

Thanked 34,645 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STHOMAS View Post
Everyone should have some basics on hand. Even the biggest hater against prepping could use candles/flashlight and food/water for a natural disater or power outage.
Don't be silly the Red Cross the Salvation Army and the government will supply everything thats what they're there for

Quote:
Originally Posted by STHOMAS View Post
Being somewhat prepared for the unknown is just a good idea
100%
The Following User Says Thank You to Smudge For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2012, 06:59 PM
Trapper

(A) stockpile food that will last maybe a year or more,

If I want some rice/noodles/pasta, I can buy a bag from sainsburys and have my eyes taken out compare to going to South Shields to the Asian supermarket and buy a sack for the stuff.

I grow most of my own veg - it is not in season year round so I have to store it.

I CBF driving to Blagdon everyday to buy the meat for the day. Go once in a while and stock the freezer up.

(B) why do we drive 4x4s generally,

Because they are built to last. Because I can get damn near a ton in the back - be it manure, timber, seaweed, coal from Cambois beach if I want some - I can get it in the back.

Plus, if I want to go somewhere out of the way when shooting or fishing, I can. When it snows, I can get off my driveway. When you get stuck in a ditch in the woods in your car, I am the friend with a 4x4 and a winch that will pull you out, after a man from a recovery company has told you he cannot due to health and safety.

(C) why do we live away from cities,

Live on the edge of one. Would I live in one? Not a chance! Humans are meant to be free range, not packed in tower blocks like battery hens.

(D) why do we safely store extra diesel and petrol,

Because I have tools that run on petrol. Chainsaw, hedge trimmer, genny, stonesaw, rotivator (currently buggered). Diesel - well, my truck will also run on veg oil. No mods or addatives needed, but during the crisis in the early 2000's, I had a couple of hundred litres of diesel. It was a pleasure to drive on such quiet roads.

(E) why do we have wood burning stoves.

I dont, but it is in the plans. Why? I can get as much burning wood as I want for the cost of my time and a bit of diesel. Live a few minutes away from the biggest industrial estate in this part of the country and if I wanted, I could spend all day collecting scrap pallets. That is free heat. How much does it cost to heat my home with gas? A lot. Would I rather spend that money on other things? Yup.

Need a new roof on the house, when the scaffold it up for that I will get up and repoint the chimney and drop a liner down it. One stove should heat my small house, if I lived in a bigger one I would get a stove with a back boiler for hot water, but as I have a combi, pluming in a wood heated water system would be a PITA.

If I built a house or had a larger one, I would make it 100% wood heated.

Why prep? Because I am an adult and would rather know I had things in place to make my life more manageable rather than relying on a third party or the government to make sure my family and I were warm and fed.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Borsch Dorks Gorge For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Still standing

Thanked 1,465 Times in 634 Posts
Default (F)

Were I a Brit. and someone asked me why prep., I'd say: Because the people holding positions in government could screw-up the manufacture of a brick. If you are unable to make it in the free market system, if you are without talent or I.Q., what to do? Get a government position. I prep. because I feel that my government will do something so stupid as to interfere with civilians making what works work. Maybe if Big Brother wasn't a semi-organized association of twits, maybe if they would wander off somewhere and get lost, I wouldn't be so concerned about the future of my country.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantagruel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Trapper

Location: The original Birmingham, Engand, or as we call it the BLACK COUNTRY

a breath of fresh air, common sence and sencible brain usage, its wonderfull to have a real and common sence aproach.

personaly i prepp because i dont belive a word the government, dont trust the police. dont belive its right to rely on anyone else, if i want someone to wipe my arse it should be me really
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hedgerowpete For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 12:26 AM
Still standing

Thanked 1,465 Times in 634 Posts
Default Baltimore, Maryland

Why to prep in Baltimore, Maryland:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/...beating-879234
Old 04-17-2012, 12:35 AM
Military MOM

Thanked 7,388 Times in 2,866 Posts

I prep so I am not aimlessly walking around looking for food and water if a disaster strikes. 120 tornadoes hit the midwest this weekend. The week before that, 18 hit my area. Anything at anytime could happen anywhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marcie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 12:41 AM
Target Shooter

I don't have that much, i have about a months worth. but my parents(which is where my bol would be) have a farm and grow their own food and can their own food.
Because without one I couldn't get to the top of my hill where my house is during the winter season. Nor would I be able to get to town as my road is one of the last roads they salt and scrape.
Because I hate the thug gangbanger wannabes and nosy neighbors. Plus I can't shoot my guns or have bon fires in town. Also, I like being able to go outside and hear the wind blow through the tree and the birds chirp. And not hearing thumping rap crap and kids scream and horns and all that other city noise.
hmm, well I don't do that
I have two fireplaces in my house and a pile of logs in the front yard
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tarik For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 12:42 AM
camps in trees

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,189 Posts

A) what else I gonna do with the stuff in my garden, let it sit and ruin? I'm not the govbomb

B) cause I live, work, and hunt on a farm. A prius aint gonna get where I wanna go.

C) I own a farm, how many of those are in the middle of city limits

D) cause if I run out of gas on the back 40 its easier to get gas at the house than walking 15 mile to a station.

E) wood grows for free on my property. When I find a natural gas mine I might swap to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to neo71665 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 02:17 AM
Prepared

The media asks why prep ? is it we think the world will end in 2012, or Iran is going to invade Wolverhampton,
Do

I dont have a years worth yet, i have maybe 3 - 4 months. But i will do. And when the banking crisis comes to a head and the dole money stops flowing and people lose their jobs, i wont be in the bread line ill be the one running the bread line trading food for items of interest

We have a 4x4 because we live in the sticks, without it in even an inch of snow a normal car just wont cope with the yorkshire dales.

Because cities are horrendous places to live, i was brought up in one and i wanted a better life for my children, a life without the worry of drugs and crime.

I dont i store used vegetable oil only, currently have about 40 10 litre buckets from the local takeaways, they get charged by people to take it away so i get it for free!

I dont have a stove, i have open fires. We burn wood and coal and always have a months supply of each. Currently looking into installing a stove to connect to my central heating so the gas can go permenantly.

We prep because it is stupid to think that your life is going to go about its business without any sort of upheaval. Be it monetary, natural disaster. Or war. We prep because to do otherwise means you do not love your children enough to ensure their survival
The Following User Says Thank You to Dmaculas For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 11:31 PM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,641 Times in 8,874 Posts

PSSSST. Hey, guys. Have some fun with the media people. Tell them that you prep because you're a good citizen and your government urges people to be prepared for emergencies. Over here our FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) actually urges us to be prepared. Over here our American Red Cross also urges us to be prepared for any emergency. So, imagine messing with their minds by saying, "Here I am being patriotic and the media isn't. This is a sad state of affairs when our own media goes against what the government urges us to do..."
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 12:14 AM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 44,631 Times in 26,377 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Prepping for the same reason I wear a seatbelt and have car/homeowners insurance. Ya never know what's might be wround the next corner.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2015, 02:28 PM

Agreed! No head in the sand here!
Old 07-16-2015, 02:29 PM

We are in a tornado zone as well so no reason not to be prepared for that if nothing else.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikmuz View Post
B) NOPE I don't even own a car, nevermind a 4x4, don't need one.

C) NOPE I live in the middle of a city

D) NOPE I don't store extra fuel at all

E) NOPE I don't have a wood burning stove, don't need one

I don't know where you've got this strange image of preppers from but it definitely doesn't apply to us all.

Anyway, if someone asked me "why prep", I'd say..

"Prepping? Do you even know what that means? Do you keep food in your fridge? Are you then, to an extent, not a prepper? Or do you constantly and only ever buy things completely on a whim? I thought not. Welcome to the world of prepping!

So we've established that virtually everyone is a prepper. Well we simply prep a little bit more long-term than you, like people have been doing for thousands of years. We're intelligent enough to see the fragility of modern day society. Non-preppers are weird - dogs bury their bones, squirrels store up their harvest, it's human nature to save for the future - but you sheeple live your lives completely dependent on the government and others to provide for you."
I don't know where the 'Thank' button went, but Thank you!
Like, too!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Afca For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2015, 02:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,228 Times in 4,173 Posts

For me it is simple. I prep to help keep history alive, to feed my pets, my family and help out where I can. I'm a total cheap skate, so if I can make it, get it as a bargain I'm straight in there.

I mean someone has to look after this country/planet, there are so many people going out for a good time, wrecking the environment, treating the wildlife as if it's something nasty on their shoes, someone has to be on their side.
The Following User Says Thank You to Purdy Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2015, 02:38 PM

A lot of people cant understand why prepping. I can see this in my neighbourhood. Our grandparents saved goods and other things for hard times. Today you go buying, when your kitchen is empty.
I understand prepping in the way you can help yourself, when there is nothing to get. It is a little way being independently. But in emergencies you can help others to.
For me, this means have a plan and goods for survive a little time on your own feet. But also have talents you and other needs, like help, when a person gets ill.

Prepping is a kind of social consciousness. Only those who are able to help themselves, can really help in times of need.