SO ARE we mellowing out on prepping or is latest thing driving us again? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 06-28-2020, 03:34 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 11,219 Times in 2,792 Posts
Default SO ARE we mellowing out on prepping or is latest thing driving us again?

Advertise Here

THE Coronavirus seems to be coasting along and while there are still new cases it is not playing out as lethal ..so it seems.
SO
The stores are filling stock again of the things that disappeared early.
BUT
NOW...
we have hostile takeovers taking place in Demcrapic cities and states, and they are very strange and fairly violent.

Is this new wave of illegal crap sort of putting your head back into "I should probably get a few more of these." mode?
or
Are you back to cruise mode where you take advantage of sales and rotate old stock when you get new instead of just piling it up?

The wife has gone into cruise mode. She is still buying when things come available but she is not grabbing as much and she says "When we use up some of XXX then we'll get some more.

I can't fault her. We are pretty good on fuel and food, I would guess about a years worth without going shopping, for just the 2 of us.

While the prospects of more civil unrest is there on the horizon, we are so remote we do not see it effecting anything but refills from the big warehouses and realistically, if the are riots in the cities, they won't be delivering there but the burbs and rurals will be safe runs as usual.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 03:38 PM

Personally i would say to continue to prep... since recent reports of chinese EMP weapons and first-strike capabilities... hitting us during all this unrest would be an ideal time, especially with all the chaos of an election year. Plus it seems ammo and firearms are getting much more difficult to find. I will continue to prep and keep my eyes on the horizon.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GhostOfTerra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 03:44 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,129 Times in 6,394 Posts

Coronvirus is blowing up. Prepping supplies is soon going to be impossible as there will be nothing to buy.

I'm piling it up as fast as I can. Which is not very fast as its getting hard to find things again.

Cruising? Its all falling apart. The cruise hit an iceberg. Up on deck people are trying to laugh it off but the engine room is flooding under them.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2020, 03:45 PM
Survivor

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is 2nd home - Rustbelt is home base
Thanked 4,051 Times in 1,290 Posts

NO, things are worse than before. Personally I'm planning for Trump to lose. It would be great if he gets in, not that I like Trump. It would only be because I'd prefer to avoid a civil war type of infighting within the USA as well as the host of other plans the dems have in store to destroy America.*

You know you civil war fanatic's, it won't be pretty. You won't wait until they go 'door to door.' Your state militia meets the military jackboots at the border of the state. If you fail, then you meet at the border of the city and unload on them. And of course it is not just a one way turkey shoot. They will unload on you. You may have Antifa shooting you from behind calling you fascists' as they kill you from front and back. Once you go extraconstitutional, there are no limits to the killing. And if you let the jackboots peacefully distribute themselves throughout your state you have already lost 2/3 of the battle.

I've heard from a number of 2016 Trump voters that just cannot stomach Trump any longer. One said they have to look in the mirror every day and could never support Trump again. They have no delusions about violence from dems trying to confiscate guns and destroy the country. But they said they would rather have a war than vote for Trump. At least they could keep their self-respect.

How many of the 2016 Trump voters think like that? I don't know. But I am not under the delusion Trump is a shoo-in. Personally I am preparing for war. Covid-19 is the least of our troubles. My advice is to load up on larger caliber AP ammo. Your 5.56 wont cut it if we go to war. It won't pierce body armor.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to slackercruster For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 03:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,977 Times in 4,265 Posts

I'm mellow and so is my prepping...LOL
It's the same as it's always been and I've been at this since before Y2K...
I think I got a handle on it. Picked up 10lbs of northern beans and 20lbs of jasmine rice today. I'm out of LTS buckets so that's what is on my current to do/get list. Same ole same
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 03:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,892 Times in 3,776 Posts

Im just getting ready for winter like I always do this time of year im cutting firewood, I have plenty of freeze, dried stuff #10 cans and pouches, i need to buy a few more cases of the 1lb propane canisters for my lanterns, guns and ammo are fully stocked,Only major purchase im making is a chest freezer, its just me and my old lab, I have 40 acres across the road from my home 2/3rd in hay the rest is woods lots of down alder for firewood from the heavy snow last year Im sure i will think of things i need or want, but fall and winter are my favorite times of year. the riots and the elections are out of my control I will vote republican, and hope things dont get worse.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jimbowie1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 03:57 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,297 Times in 844 Posts

Seems to me based on experience that body armor will not be the panacea many think. Some of the quasi-mil casualties I dealt with in past roles had front-and-back plates; some more of the mil casualties I dealt with had front-and-back plates; but most did not: and they still made it to casevac. Now, you may think that plates saved many more who did not end up in the surgical tent, but that was not borne out looking in the mortuary. Very very few died of chest shots alone. Of course, the CWII experience may be different from overseas.
The Following User Says Thank You to Madoc For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 04:06 PM
"eleutheromaniac"

Thanked 7,193 Times in 2,057 Posts

I am just waiting to see what happens. I am not expecting many problems here. I deeply fear for those in urban America, especially family and friends. But they refuse to hear my begging them to get ready, so best I can do is to harden my heart to the coming pain. And there will be pain.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 04:09 PM
Survivor

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is 2nd home - Rustbelt is home base
Thanked 4,051 Times in 1,290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madoc View Post
Seems to me based on experience that body armor will not be the panacea many think. Some of the quasi-mil casualties I dealt with in past roles had front-and-back plates; some more of the mil casualties I dealt with had front-and-back plates; but most did not: and they still made it to casevac. Now, you may think that plates saved many more who did not end up in the surgical tent, but that was not borne out looking in the mortuary. Very very few died of chest shots alone. Of course, the CWII experience may be different from overseas.
Yes, there are chinks in the armor to be found, no doubt. If you have the luxury of time. But under duress we usually shoot for the chest. With military and gov funded jackboots, money and finest artillery is not the issue. With self-funded patriots we usually have to work with less than best. Of course this presupposes the military will side with the order to occupy cities and states and confiscate the guns. I have no idea if they would take such an order. But I also know there is nothing anyone can come up with that is too unbelievable for a dem to do.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,937 Times in 1,361 Posts

I still feel the urge to do more for preparing but I am shifting gears from stockpiling more supplies to working on growing my own food and being self sufficient.

For example I planted an orchard and got chickens.

In July I am looking at getting a bucket tractor and rabbits. Then getting my small solar system reassembled.

I am kicking around the idea of getting a large farm animal like goats, sheep or even a calf but I don't think I have time to tackle that big of a project. Would need to build a shelter, rebuild the fence for the pasture, and then figure out winter feed. Probably a next spring project.

I am not doing this just because of 1 event/fear. Just seems like we keep throwing more weight/disasters on the worlds back and eventually it has to be to much to take.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eagle Scout Survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 04:23 PM

Still prepping. Hitting a bulk item run tomorrow to top of my freezer again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roy Texas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 04:47 PM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 19,002 Times in 4,524 Posts

I think putting things in place that serve well, be it an extra key made before needed, or finances being attended to , or plumping out the pantries and making sure things are cared for , attended to and having knowledge will always serve well.

If you have the daily functional things in place then things like being prepared for more extreme situations will likely serve well . I doubt any of us are too prepared . We continue on with our improvements at a slow but steady pace .
The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 05:29 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,162 Posts

Restocking the pantry that was diminished. I have only been shopping 3 times in the last 3 months. Once topped off I will have a pantry full of canned food, a chest freezer full of meat, and multiple flats of meat and veggies of pints and quarts cans. Then there is the garden. Big and flourishing right now.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 05:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,097 Times in 872 Posts

Though I am reasonably well supplied, I am planning on at least one or two additional grocery runs in the coming week or two just to add more items while they are still available and at reasonable prices. I will probably keep that up for the foreseeable future.

I am also planning some trips to deal with a few administrative/financial matters while things are relatively calm and it's still possible to get to places without running into too many people. We've only recently reopened a bunch of closed businesses and I suspect that it won't last the whole summer, not to mention not wanting to be out and about if there's another uptick in social unrest.

One good thing is that most of my circle of friends are sincerely interested in preparing themselves for the coming months of uncertainty and willing to come together (mostly online) to research and plan ahead for the future.

Aside from keeping up with work, July and August will essentially be dedicated to prepping. Even if things were calmer, I would want to set up my amateur radio station for digital modes, as well as ground the station to be able to use my amplifier and set up my backup power.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadian Prepster For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 05:55 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,740 Times in 1,327 Posts

I am pretty good on food. I have been going shopping all through this though, getting groceries at curbside pickup or ordering online. So I've kept up my stash, even if it meant sometimes eating things I rather would not.
The Following User Says Thank You to emh1701 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 06:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,447 Times in 6,364 Posts

My life has not changed a bit. Plenty of popcorn.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 07:34 PM
Totus tuus

Thanked 1,106 Times in 512 Posts

Most of my "prepping" has been financial for the past month. I've been doing the legwork (considerable) to get my mom's survivor benefits started since my dad passed away. I found out that most things just STOP after a death, so you have to literally reapply for most benefits. Social Security is by far the easiest. So I have had limited funds to pay for preps, or keep as an emergency fund, since my mom has needed, and may still need money - until her checks start coming in. Once I'm reimbursed, I will be prepping some more. I made a recent grocery trip, and picked up a few things which were in short supply during the early stages of the pandemic. I am planning to make another trip tomorrow and get more TP and paper towels, and also stock up more on my son's food. I'm expecting this time to need 2 months of his food, and to get more canned goods and prepared foods. Longer term I'm looking into buying a generator and a freezer so we can stock up on meat and frozen meals. So yes, prepping is still a priority.
The Following User Says Thank You to Atticus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 07:43 PM
Rebel Against Tyrants

Thanked 21,379 Times in 7,077 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Oh we have ramped up the prepping, now is the time to get things before it gets insane closer to the election.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Straza For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 07:46 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,129 Times in 6,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
Most of my "prepping" has been financial for the past month. I've been doing the legwork (considerable) to get my mom's survivor benefits started since my dad passed away. I found out that most things just STOP after a death, so you have to literally reapply for most benefits. Social Security is by far the easiest. So I have had limited funds to pay for preps, or keep as an emergency fund, since my mom has needed, and may still need money - until her checks start coming in. Once I'm reimbursed, I will be prepping some more. I made a recent grocery trip, and picked up a few things which were in short supply during the early stages of the pandemic. I am planning to make another trip tomorrow and get more TP and paper towels, and also stock up more on my son's food. I'm expecting this time to need 2 months of his food, and to get more canned goods and prepared foods. Longer term I'm looking into buying a generator and a freezer so we can stock up on meat and frozen meals. So yes, prepping is still a priority.
Good luck. And I mean that. Good luck. The things you want to get, are pretty hard to find, at least here.

No generators, No freezers, No TP, No canned vegetables. I'm sorry to say it, but ever since march its not really been prepping anymore, its been surviving.

We are very rapidly entering a "What you have, is what you have" environment. I would not count on ANY long term plans that rely on getting new stuff to actually happen at this point.

If there is anything you know you eventually want, get it NOW. If you can.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 07:46 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 81,585 Times in 23,710 Posts

Back to life as usual. No big deal, I wear a mask to go shopping and to the gym.