QUESTION.. DO YOU think it is more advantageous to be NORTH or SOUTH - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 02-04-2020, 05:53 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,514 Times in 1,037 Posts

Advertise Here

Northwest is a temperate climate, anything else north makes for one tough winter.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2020, 05:58 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,537 Times in 1,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckleberry View Post
Do you know how stuff was kept cold in the summer in warmer climates? They used to harvest ice during the winter in cold climates then ship it packed in straw for insulation to be used during the summer. Fanning a beer in your cellar, isn't going to get it or you real cool when it's triple digits & high humidity out.
Well aware of Ice harvesting - just not a lot of thick ice to harvest in SW Ky and people managed to get by fine with what they had.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 06:32 AM
VIP Member

Midwest- south of I-70.

Good luck,

One&Done
The Following User Says Thank You to One&Done For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 10:05 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 38,179 Times in 10,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
I don't know about the Sopranos since I have never watched it but that episode sounds good. Many people forget about in war time and the affect weather has had on troops. Study Napoleon and Hitler's attempted invasion of Russia. The cold weather greatly affected their trying to conquer Russia.
Finland also and here are many pics of winter wars etc. > https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...cw=1117&ch=543

I think some have tried to say that someday If there is a bad SHTF / end of the world as we know it and such Then there likely will be many from the north who will go south to survive. Even today many go south for the winter and many go to cooler areas for the summer. I personally know a few who own land within a couple miles of my mtn retreat who go to Texas or Arizona for the winter. I have read that many go to Florida from NY city and other areas for the winter or for retirement.

As others have said that and I agree although I would say more of low populated areas vs high populated areas especially big cities.

I like Mel Tappan's ideas for the most part. Here are a few quotes: "Mel Tappan had chosen a small farm town ( Rogue River, OR ) and had prepared for every conceivable eventuality to the point of choosing, after careful study of fallout maps, that small portion of the Pacific Northwest least vulnerable to nuclear debris. His 80-acre valley ranch, ringed by thickly wooded mountains, was perhaps the safest piece of real estate in the United States."

"There I was, living in the middle of ground zero, in the northeast corridor, which at best would turn into an urban battlefield, at worst would vaporize like a giant piece of exploding fruit." This quote is one of the best and what all prepper / survivalists should know and do >>>

"The least-committed to the survival movement bought some goods, stayed home, and went about their business with a little hedge; those further along bought a place in the country to run to at the first sign of trouble;
but the true believers uprooted themselves, abandoned or altered their careers, left comfortable, accustomed life-styles, picked locations they felt were safe, and retreated."

Those quotes are from this long article: https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=143654

And again what is a good safe location for me ( 9,500 feet in the Rocky Mountains ) is of course not for everybody even just a few. I have and will more and more obtain all the food I need from first as much stored food as possible and then foraging, hunting, fishing, growing many kinds of vegetables, mainly cool weather types but enough for myself and maybe a couple other people in containers, raised beds and a small greenhouse or two.

Just hope that everyone will find their safe location no matter where that might be.
Have you looked into growing short season, high altitude crops such as potatoes and barley.

Another option worth looking at are dry beans like great northerns.

I suggest you research what crops were grown by the Inca empire. I believe most of their civilization was at high elevation.
https://www.ancient.eu/article/792/i...--agriculture/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 04:02 PM

As I get older/63 now you have to think a little bit about your health and where your at in life. My kids are spread out so that won't be a issue for us. My wife and I will survive no matter if we are here or somewhere else. I assume as we both get older these winters will start to play a toll on us. Won't want to keep the snow off the house and driveway. So may have to go south some or back to southern PA. Lived there for 43 yrs.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:17 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,084 Times in 4,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
Have you looked into growing short season, high altitude crops such as potatoes and barley.

I suggest you research what crops were grown by the Inca empire. I believe most of their civilization was at high elevation.
Slightly off topic but Incas also invested in PMs. Even they were aware that PM value rises during uncertainty.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2020, 04:26 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 25,554 Times in 5,112 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post

Thanks for the link and info. I sometimes don't look at threads again even after posting in them but glad I saw your post.

I did look at the link and saw they ate quite a few things. The most common which the Incans and myself have are deer and rodents. I plan to eat more deer, elk, grouse, trout etc. And maybe eat rodents such as squirrels if necessary.

For now such as the next year or two I plan to only buy potatoes since they are so very cheap. I should practice storing potatoes more such as in the back of my 9 foot deep underground shelter. I do have a food dehydrator which is a screened plastic hanging container stored away. Easy to sun and air dry potatoes and such.

I have planted a bit of wheat, even buckwheat someone had given me. Not sure about barley. I do plan to grow more and more each year. Right now I have two large cans of sealed garden seeds from Augason Farms with more than 8,000 seeds in each can. And 13 different kinds of vegetables in those 2 cans plus some paper packets of heirloom seeds.

Cool weather crops from lettuce, spinach, kale, broccoli, peas etc. to a couple tomatoes I have grown most of the 23 summers I have spent on my mtn place.

I had a greenhouse in 1996 and grew many tomatoes etc. Some nosy neighbors came by and told me I should tear it down. I think they thought that since I am from Calirado that I would be growing marijuana in the greenhouse. Which is ridiculous since I have never and plan to never smoke or use pot, weed, marijuana. And too cold to grow it since most nights even in July can get down to 40 degrees. F.

I would only grow tomatoes, squash, maybe corn and whatever else I could in a greenhouse. NOT weed and such for many reasons. There are also many bushes with a great deal of fruit such as prickly currants, grouse berry, Oregon grapes, raspberry and some wild strawberry also.

This will be my main greenhouse since it is up on my sunny hillside facing south SE with abundant sunshine whenever the sun is shining which is a lot from May to October. There are two red steel beams in the roof. And I have put a dozen Large logs on top of those steel beams plus plywood etc. Have that greenhouse cabin half built now. And No deep heavy snowpack can collapse it with those steel beams and log roof. I have two sliding glass doors for the large windows with the one shown here >

This is the only pic I have of my container gardens. I have many of these black plastic containers and some raised beds to grow much. Plants seem to grow fast with the clear bright sunshine at 9,500 feet.

Hopefully within a year or two I can have more pics and maybe even a video showing what I have done, grown and do. I still hope to buy at least a five year supply of canned, freeze dried, bulk and other foods. I "only" have a two year supply right now up there.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 12:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,319 Times in 3,576 Posts

Im north of many of you but I will go further north when the SHTF
Old 02-05-2020, 08:25 AM

In the south now and have been wanting to get out. Too hot, lots of bugs, too many people here where I live. Don't want to be fighting for resources with these folks should TSHTF. And should I find a quiet space in a corner somewhere and could grow a big garden, I'd have so many more people to fight off to keep my stuff. Want to go back north, and even if the Grand Solar Minimum pans out, I'd rather deal with that than this.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:59 AM
Free-ish Man

Thanked 1,970 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInGa View Post
How do you get cool without electricity? Water and shade are your only options and they usually are insufficient for daily life.
That must be why no humans lived south of the Mason Dixon line before the invention of air conditioning.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SBK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 09:55 AM

Myself, we are in Maine right next to a "dark sky" area with fairly low population. I wouldn't want to be any where else in the NE.
But I do want to move really badly to WV/VA mountains. There is tons of pasture, hard woods, springs & rivers, great hunting, good people, and the weather is mild both summer and winter. Though I'm fairly well off here, i wish i had a benefactor to prep for/with to buy a mega retreat there!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel8 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 12:47 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 11,535 Times in 2,848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK View Post
That must be why no humans lived south of the Mason Dixon line before the invention of air conditioning.
YES.. but they had ...oh... what was the name of those folks... you know... the ones who did all the heavy work in that heat and you didn't even have to pay them.....
and
they seemed more acclimated to working in the heat of the day..
oh..

I know it is on the tip of my tongue...

anyway, they won't be available for work in the heat and humidity and such.

ALSO
from one who lived down south for a while.. it is pretty miserable without air... and even with air, when you go outside it is still miserable
unless you are a lizard.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 01:09 PM
Apocaloptimist

Thanked 6,462 Times in 1,715 Posts

In World War Z, the zombies couldn't get past the Rockies and they freeze in high altitudes and low temperatures. So...somewhere NW of the Rockies or maybe Greenland or Antarctica??
Old 02-05-2020, 01:38 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 38,179 Times in 10,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK View Post
People did not willingly live in a modern single story ranch home in Florida, or the gulf coast, before air conditioning.
If we ever loose the electric power grid for more than a couple week in the summer, you are going to find out why.

Take a look at the homes people did live in back then. They are multi story with thick walls, high celings, and shaded porches.
I and grew up on a farm with no AC and was at least multi story, and we at least had large electric fans.

Trying to survive the summer in a modern ranch house without grid power would be hell on earth.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 01:53 PM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 6,574 Times in 2,273 Posts

North. I enjoy the cold and I'm seriously allergic to poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac. The forests here leave me with plenty of options for water and fuel.

The wind here and the snow keeps the population low too.

Clean dry air too.

North. Definitely north.
The Following User Says Thank You to biathlon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 05:37 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 11,535 Times in 2,848 Posts

IT IS the FIRST week of February...

There are tornado warnings right now... 2/5/20 at 1835
for Alabama and Mississippi.

Another point for consideration for geographic location benefits for consideration.

In northern Mich we get maybe one tornado a year and rarely above a Cat 1.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 05:46 PM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 27,472 Times in 8,094 Posts
Default CAW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post

Another point for consideration for geographic location benefits for consideration.

Good points.

I'd stay up north also!

Last edited by n1d; 02-05-2020 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: pam~n~toe dunt like edits and this CPO dunt care
Old 02-05-2020, 05:48 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,367 Times in 6,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post

Its almost boring being prepped up here. No hurricanes, no Tornadoes, no super storms, ice storms, etc....Power goes out for maybe 20 minutes a year on average...I almost envy eastern preppers who get to actually deploy there preps all the time.

This year may be a really bad one fore fires though so at least I have that to look forward too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 05:58 PM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 27,472 Times in 8,094 Posts
Default CAW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Its almost boring being prepped up here. No hurricanes, no Tornadoes, no super storms, ice storms, etc....Power goes out for maybe 20 minutes a year on average...I almost envy eastern preppers who get to actually deploy there preps all the time.

This year may be a really bad one fore fires though so at least I have that to look forward too.
Sea' post #77.

Last edited by n1d; 02-05-2020 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: pam~n~toe dunt like edits and this CPO dunt care
Old 02-05-2020, 06:05 PM
I love this Forum.

Thanked 13,553 Times in 3,852 Posts

`

Well I don't have to worry about earthquakes, tsunami's or hurricanes, but we get tornadoes somewhat often even in fall & winter months. We also get straight line windstorms that are of tropical storm & hurricane strength fairly often. Not to mention blizzards, snow storms, ice/sleet storms. We get hail & thunderstorms and some places get flooding somewhat regularly others occasionally. Also prairie fires in locations when its dry. Even though we're pretty far north, we have poison ivy & poison oak. Then I've had winters where there is little to no snow & even not super windy, but the air temp will be -20 & colder for days, even a week+. Don't even get me started on the damn mosquitoes during the summer.