Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
the .22 working pistol Metric Pistol and Revolver Forum 25 12-06-2016 02:19 PM
Beretta PX4 9mm Full Size Pistol (USED) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 11-15-2016 08:17 AM
Winchester .40 S&W, 10mm Caliber Pistol Compact Cleaning Kit 14 Pieces (WIN40P) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 10-21-2016 10:07 AM
Butler Creek 9mm-.45 Caliber LULA Universal Pistol Loader and Unloader - $23.99 apps47inc For Sale 0 10-02-2016 01:21 PM
Glock Model 42 380acp Pistol (USED) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 09-29-2016 02:11 PM

View Poll Results: Min caliber and capacity to save your life.
Varmint (.22, .25, .32) 27 11.30%
Small (.38, .380, 9x18 Mak) 78 32.64%
Medium (9x19, .357 Sig/Mag, .40SW, 7.62x25 Tok) 113 47.28%
Large/Game (.41, .45acp, .44/44mag, 10mm) 33 13.81%
Niche Large/Game (.50 AE, .500 magnum) 0 0%
Derringer 1-3 capacity 1 0.42%
Subcompact/revolver 4-6 capacity 35 14.64%
Compact 7-10 capacity 41 17.15%
Compact 10-13 capacity 20 8.37%
Duty 14-18 capacity 25 10.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2020, 03:22 AM
VIP Member

Advertise Here

Truly baffles the Hell outta me, lumpin' magnums with a ****ant cartridge like a 9X19... Bore diameter is close, but power? No cigar...

One&Done
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2020, 06:54 AM
What hell, pay attention

Thanked 12,220 Times in 4,931 Posts

9mm, especially in its +P+ loadings, is usually closer to 357MAG than 38 spl, yet you so often hear people tell you to carry a 357, but load it with 38 +P's.

+P+ 9mm is basically the same thing (very close number wise anyway) as 357SIG, which was designed to duplicate that 125 grain 357MAG loading that everyone likes to claim is the Sword of Todd.

****ant really inst a good comparison.

As much as I like my 357's, I cant shoot them as well as my 9mm's when shooting a bit more realistically, and at speed. I also dont run out of ammo as quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 08:35 AM

9mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-29-2020, 08:35 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 38,179 Times in 10,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by One&Done View Post
Truly baffles the Hell outta me, lumpin' magnums with a ****ant cartridge like a 9X19... Bore diameter is close, but power? No cigar...

One&Done
The OP set up the pole categories. I dont agree with them either.

Not only is the 357 mag completely different than 9x19 (twice the muzzel energy), but the 44 Mag is also completely different than 10mm (Again it delivers twice the muzzel energy).

Probable more important is the typical bullet construction used in magnum revolver rounds. While the bullets used in premium defense ammo ammo in 9x19 has improved, they perform nothing like a true magnum.

Disbelievers are not likely to shoot any thing big enough to tell the difference. They continue to base their ammo choices on a specific jello penetration range. Hope it works for them.

But since I deal with much bigger, and tougher critters than the two legged kind, I insist on complete penetration of the biggest threats in my area.

You want to see the Sword of Todd, AK? Try shooting a 1,000 lb animal with a 44 Mag hunting round.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:02 AM
What hell, pay attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
You want to see the Sword of Todd, AK? Try shooting a 1,000 lb animal with a 44 Mag hunting round.
How is it in more social situations against humans? And be honest now.

Ive had a number of 44mags, and currently have two, a 4" Model 629, and a 3" Ruger SA, and know exactly what they are like and can do. And they are a specialty gun, for most people anyway.

If I were to carry the one (the realistic one) I have now, it would be as a second gun, not the primary I always have with me.

But Id love to watch you run one of the combat matches with yours from how you carry it, and see how you do. Combat is combat, fur, feathers, or whatever.

Principles are all the same. Hit what needs hit, and as hard as you can go. That boy who dropped that brown with a low cap 9mm, proved just that.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,049 Times in 4,084 Posts

Quote:

One&Done
Why don't you start your own thread about your love of your Ruger GP100 357 magnum instead of reviving all these old threads?
The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 10:20 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 38,179 Times in 10,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
How is it in more social situations against humans? And be honest now.

Ive had a number of 44mags, and currently have two, a 4" Model 629, and a 3" Ruger SA, and know exactly what they are like and can do. And they are a specialty gun, for most people anyway.

If I were to carry the one (the realistic one) I have now, it would be as a second gun, not the primary I always have with me.

But Id love to watch you run one of the combat matches with yours from how you carry it, and see how you do. Combat is combat, fur, feathers, or whatever.

Principles are all the same. Hit what needs hit, and as hard as you can go. That boy who dropped that brown with a low cap 9mm, proved just that.
About a month after taking an extended practical pistol course with my Browning Hi Power, I went back and ran the same course with three different revolvers.

My 5.5" Redhawk loaded with midrange hollowpoints (180g @ 1600) was the best performing wheel gun. When I got done shooting the 200 rd course, I was tired, but the I was still keeping my rounds on target.

My 4" GP 100 loaded with Hell for Leather hand loads (158 @ 1400) was tough for extended strings. This load produces a intense fireball, and I started loosing trigger control, for anything more than doubles.

But my friends 3" Ruger SP101 loaded with commercial defense loads was terrble. I gave up after 20 rds.

I have posted this a couple times, but I would carry my Hi Power or a magnum revolver for defence, if I could mount a stream light.
But since these guns dont mount a light, and all the critters (and bad guys) keep showing up at night, I purchased a couple of Sig pistols.

Last night I was poking around my sheep and goat pasture, looking for the Panther thats been pestering my stock, and scaring my 5 large guardian dogs, and I was carring a 10mm Sig P220 with a the light

Btw, poking a bear with a 9mm is just plain stupid.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 11:50 AM
Nunquam Non Paratus

Thanked 3,379 Times in 1,149 Posts

My main CCW has been a Glock 43 for quite a few years. My complaint about it has long been the 6 round magazine capacity. I just switched over to a Glock 43x, which is better with it's 10 round magazine capacity. The reason I really made the switch though is that Shield Arms has developed a 15 round flush fit magazine for the 43x and 48. Basically they took the plastic off the magazine and went to an all metal magazine allowing more interior space. Reviews of the first run have been very positive.

https://shieldarms.com/glock-43x-48-15-round-mag

Specifically on the caliber debate, data put together by Greg Ellifritz shows not much difference in results between the common calibers. And this is based on actual shootings, not someone's idea of effectiveness based on gelatin penetration, etc.

http://www.activeresponsetraining.ne...stopping-power

That said, I prefer a larger round but there is always a tradeoff size of round vs magazine capacity vs accuracy of follow-up shots, etc. Now if someone could create a .50 caliber pistol round that fits in a Glock 43x size package with a capacity of 15 rounds and has the recoil of a 9mm I would be a happy camper.
The Following User Says Thank You to jchavasu For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 01:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,805 Times in 5,988 Posts

Ruger security 6 .357 mag.
The Following User Says Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 02:23 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,084 Times in 4,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Ruger security 6 .357 mag.
The only right answer.

Anything less and we might as well be discussing plinking.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2020, 05:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 39,292 Times in 7,932 Posts

Folks, the OP's post is as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
Scenario. You are in your daily routine which involves work, kids soccer practice, grocery shopping, retail store shopping, driving, mass transit, etc. Suddenly YOUR life is at stake and some violent person or people are coming at you with lethal weapon(s) intent to kill you right NOW. Your typical armed robbery or intent to murder situation where your severe injury, or death is certainly either possible or likely.

This is a lightning fast fluid situation. You need to act, or die. You have just seconds to reach down and draw your weapon and fire to save your life. This not a question about what is ultimately lethal at some point (yes, a thrown rock can be lethal). This is about what YOU want and are confident will end the threat immediately, not a day later due to their injuries.

For your primary, daily, carry gun, what is the smallest caliber you feel reliably confident in doing the job, right now, reliably and repeatedly. Second question, how many rounds is the minimum you want in that caliber in the cylinder/mag/chamber of the gun. We all want a howitzer in that situation, but realistically day-to-day, in essense, what is the absolute minimum you want to rely on to save your life.

Choices in the poll reflect caliber and capacity. I tried to bunch these into rough equivalents and class of performance, and rough classes for capacity/size, but forgive me if there's minor errors, and there are some guns/calibers that perhaps don't quite fit perfectly. This isn't science, just curiosity of views so let's not get lost in the weeds. Please pick the 1 caliber minimum, and the minimum capacity you demand.
I read the question as having 3 conditions:
(1) You have to carry it with you everywhere, everywhen.
(2) It has to be immediately accessible.
(3) It should dispatch or incapacitate the danger as nearly as immediately as possible.

7 rounds 9mm modern defensive rounds (1 in pipe, 6 in flush mag), plus a spare mag as backup (for a total of 13), with EDC gun (Kahr CM9) holstered/concealed IWB . Fits the bill for me.

Yes, the 6-8" 44-mag revolvers would certainly answer (3) [and take out big game, too ], but are you guys strapping on big iron wherever you go?? EDC, with whatever clothes/outfit? And is it almost always readily/immediately accessible, etc.? The OP also mentions examples that don't include being out in the wilderness; so, some of you guys may be answering a different question...
Old 01-29-2020, 05:06 PM
Front Towards Enemy

Thanked 1,506 Times in 385 Posts

Used to carry a full-sized double-stack .45 ACP every day.

Now EDC is a 9mm G17. The company's standard is the G17/19, and it does the job, so why not. I usually carry at least one spare mag, and if I can't eliminate a threat in 35 rounds, there's a serious problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lt. Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 12:53 PM
Free-ish Man

Thanked 1,970 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:

One&Done
You know what truly baffles the hell out of me? Anyone, at any time, can start a thread on any firearms forum discussing handgun caliber selection and it'll reach epic post counts in a very short period of time. This is the case even though thousands of words have been wasted by strangers debating the exact same subject over and over and over again. And yet, start a thread about training with a handgun, and you'll be lucky if it gets one tenth of the attention that the caliber thread did. It's sad really.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SBK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 01:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,824 Times in 1,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK View Post
You know what truly baffles the hell out of me? Anyone, at any time, can start a thread on any firearms forum discussing handgun caliber selection and it'll reach epic post counts in a very short period of time. This is the case even though thousands of words have been wasted by strangers debating the exact same subject over and over and over again. And yet, start a thread about training with a handgun, and you'll be lucky if it gets one tenth of the attention that the caliber thread did. It's sad really.
Because training involves an expense of time and money. Anyone can sit on their ass and discuss something they have zero training and experience in. It's much harder to actually go out and do.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Disturbed70 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 01:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,381 Times in 1,337 Posts

former EMT. every EMT or paramedic I know that carries packs no less than a 9mm. they would know what works
The Following User Says Thank You to Explainist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 03:37 PM
I love this Forum.

Thanked 13,553 Times in 3,852 Posts

`

The poll has 2 separate categories, 1 for caliber & another for capacity, but you can only vote once.

Old 01-31-2020, 04:52 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,084 Times in 4,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckleberry View Post
`

The poll has 2 separate categories, 1 for caliber & another for capacity, but you can only vote once.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2020, 09:56 AM
VIP Member

AK103K, you might wanta give a new Super GP100, in .357 magnum, a whirl. These babies weigh in at 3 pounds, empty, an' they absorb the recoil. Likewise, get rid o' th' fancy wood Hogue grips, an' go with either original GP100/Super Redhawk wooden inlaid rubber grips, or go fer Hogues' 800020 grips, with built-in shock absorbin' technology. THEN, go Buffalo Bore or Double Tap, if yer wantin' "Full House." Take yuh back ta Saint Elmer Keith...
Old 02-01-2020, 10:26 AM
What hell, pay attention

No thanks. Im not much of a Ruger fan.

I have a number of 2", 3", and 4" S&W 357's, and they arent a problem shooting full power loads with. All are accurate and easy to shoot well with.

About a pound plus lighter than the Rugers too.

As much as I like them, and still shoot them a good bit, I dont carry one. Better choices these days.
The Following User Says Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2020, 10:34 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 40,705 Times in 9,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckleberry View Post
`

Do you carry 2 guns?