Sight opinions - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 12-27-2019, 11:50 AM
Prepared

Default Sight opinions

Advertise Here

Picking up a fairly decent CHF 16" midlength upper which I want to base a good general purpose/all purpose build on. Something I could grab for HD, BOB, hunting or even just range time and do alright. Please lets avoid the caliber debate.

Trying to decide which sight system to go with. Starting out with a pic rail top receiver and f-marked FSB. Currently have the following options to choose from: mil-surp carry handle (with or without gooseneck picatinny adapter), Leupold 3-9x40 mildot, Vortex Spitfire 1x prism, Cabelas 3x prism (illuminated and etched), magpul mbus.

I'm torn between the carry handle to put some emphasis on basic marksmanship on the range vs one of the optics. I would like to be able to engage hunting targets out to 150 yards or so, which while I suppose the irons could do that it would certainly be nicer with some magnification. Thinking about leaving the Leupold alone and upgrading that upper to a more accurate barrel in the future so really I'm choosing between irons, 1x or 3x prisms.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2019, 12:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 37,110 Times in 8,761 Posts

Train with both. Get a good Magpul MBUS for the rear and a decent optic. Why? The military is emphasizing optics now in lieu of irons. USMCR buddies of mine have mentioned this several times.

With the MBUS you aren't dead in the water if the optic should inadvertently fail. With the advances in optics these days, as long as you choose a good one that should be the least of your worries.

As for optics, there are a plethora. How much do you want to spend? If price is a concern, Vortex makes a good quality 1x4.5, 1x6, and 1x8 optic. I currently have a 1x4.5 on the service rifle. Just waiting for the damn rain to stop so I can go out and establish some zeros on it.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,713 Times in 1,453 Posts

MBUS should always be included. Not negotiable item. Magpul MBUS is a good one. As for optics, depending on your eyes, range, etc.

Since you mentioned HD, the Vortex Spitfire 1x with a 3x flip magnifier might be what gives you the most options. 3x is plenty for reaching out to 300-yards for any kind of range-time.

The Holosun HS510C also gets pretty good reviews as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLW1974 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 02:25 PM
I love this Forum.

Thanked 13,553 Times in 3,852 Posts

`

Everyone would like a light scope, also nearly indestructible that does everything well & at a bargain price. Rarely do you find a gun, sight or even caliber or round that checks all those boxes at any price. Figure out what you will be using the gun for primarily & get the best scope you can afford for that purpose. Get some BUIS as well. There is pretty much always going to be some compromise made in one area over another, you have to decide which ones are more & less important to you.

Old 12-27-2019, 03:48 PM
Fenced In

Thanked 4,386 Times in 1,884 Posts

I have two semi-dedicated defensive builds, one with a Vortex Spitfire 1X and Troy flip-up sights, and the other with a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6X and YHM flip-ups. I'm quite happy with both setups, and would emulate one of them if I was doing a new build.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:34 AM
Awesome

Thanked 25,841 Times in 8,453 Posts

what sort of environment do you live in? because if you live some place wide open, magnified optics may be the way to go.. the AR-15 can reach so far out it's hard to see what you're actually able of hitting without magnification.. but if youre in an area where youre unlikely to get 400+ yard shots off, then irons or a 1x prismatic would do just fine
Old 12-29-2019, 06:28 AM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 11,263 Times in 2,369 Posts

Carry handle
Zero purpose beyond nostalgia ie retro builds.

Iron sights in general
Pros
-bulletproof
Cons
-slow
-near worthless in low light without tritium
-limited range

Fixed front sight
Pros
-bulletproof
-ghosts out at magnification above 3X
Cons
-in your sight picture below 3X
-limits rail space, ergonomics, light placement, etc

Magnified optics
Pros
-optical quality
-range
Cons
-not good at legal home defense distances
-weight
-durability

Low power variable
Pros
-covers all the bases
Cons
-weight/handling
-optical quality

1X
Pros
-optical quality
-speed
-weight
Cons
-limited range

1X with Magnifier
Pros
-extends your range
-magnifier can be removed when not in use without affecting zero
Cons
-weight
-limited gains on range
-makes it difficult to fit a rear back up iron

Separate 1X and magnified optics changed out as needed
Pros
-best performance/right tool for the job
Cons
-cost
-need to re zero for optimal accuracy when changed
-limited to what you have on in the moment

There is no one optic set up to rule them all. You're sacrificing somewhere. Decide what matters most to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedTail For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2019, 08:12 AM
Free-ish Man

Thanked 1,970 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
Trying to decide which sight system to go with. Starting out with a pic rail top receiver and f-marked FSB. Currently have the following options to choose from: mil-surp carry handle (with or without gooseneck picatinny adapter), Leupold 3-9x40 mildot, Vortex Spitfire 1x prism, Cabelas 3x prism (illuminated and etched), magpul mbus.
Carry handle sight serves no purpose unless you're going for a quasi "retro" look for some reason. Of the options you listed the only one that I would consider appropriate for a rifle like that, used in the way you describe, is the Vortex, and I say that as somebody that isn't a big fan of Vortex. 16 inch AR used at close range like what you describe should have an optic that will do down to at least 1.5X.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:22 AM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 13,644 Times in 5,667 Posts

Cabala's sells a very decent 1x4, etched reticle, illuminated scope. It is compact has stood up well for me.

It also comes with a scope mount. They had it on sale last week for $119, it's back up to $149 right now but I'm sure it will go on sale again.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABE...PE/2339055.uts
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2019, 10:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,805 Times in 3,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
Picking up a fairly decent CHF 16" midlength upper which I want to base a good general purpose/all purpose build on. Something I could grab for HD, BOB, hunting or even just range time and do alright. Please lets avoid the caliber debate.

I'm torn between the carry handle to put some emphasis on basic marksmanship on the range vs one of the optics. I would like to be able to engage hunting targets out to 150 yards or so, which while I suppose the irons could do that it would certainly be nicer with some magnification. Thinking about leaving the Leupold alone and upgrading that upper to a more accurate barrel in the future so really I'm choosing between irons, 1x or 3x prisms.
I would suggest that you look at iron sights / optics as BOTH, instead of one or the other.

Especially since this is to be a general purpose build. If that is the case, then there is no reason NOT to have both set up for your rifle. ( I would dump the carry handle irons for this reason alone.)

Marksmanship iron sight training as you mentioned = training ammunition, so zero irons with this fodder.
Use as a hunting stick = your optic zeroed with hunting ammunition.

As to 150 yards, iron sights can work fine for the task depending on your skill with said rifle and quality of the iron sights themselves.Optics would be a better choice in low light when critters are most active.

A LPV in a 1x4x20mm Leupold VX Freedom with AR ballistic reticle ( Pic below of optic mounted to one of my rifles ) would be a rock solid low cost, very light weight solution for an all purpose non illuminated optic. If you want illuminated then you must decide if the additional weight is worth it or not.

Edit: Whatever you decide, I would suggest that you fabricate or buy a " shooter's log" so you can develop pertinent details via this specific rifle from the outset. In my experience, a running history via a rifle built for all purpose use is worthwhile endeavor and worth the time to record. You will end up being on much more " intimate" terms with that rifle, and literally get to know it inside and out.

Last suggestion: Build a second rifle later . 1 = none.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191216_153101.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	295614  
Old 12-31-2019, 05:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,100 Times in 4,500 Posts

I'm a huge fan of the nightforce nx8. If you want a dot, the aimpoint T2 does well. If it's just a hobby gun, go to your local store, eyeball through everything, buy the cheapest that looks good to you.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 25,098 Times in 7,807 Posts

The 3x ACSS scope is great. Mine is a a Primary Arms unit. Reticle works in the daytime without batteries, just enough magnification to help the older eyes, but you can still go both eyes open if you practice.

I love peep sights. My old eyes don’t. But BUIS will fit the rail along with the scope, so they are there.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:36 AM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,528 Times in 11,535 Posts

I like Trijicon. love the TAO-1 series. lucky enough to score a couple and have them refurbed . but they pricey.
as a less expensive option, Burris AR332 if the batt decides to go south it has a etched reticle reverts to basic black. lot of times you can get it on sales with a free fastfire III . so ya get a twofer. I also always run BUIS prefer the Troy's but they getting so many knockoffs of em out there unless you get it from troy , and its on sale its probably a knock off. been had once that way myself.
so last one i went with these guys I can mix and match solid folding sight for any style AR you build
https://www.precisionreflex.com/Sigh...s_pr-4292.aspx
but always BUIS found this several years ago still applies
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BUIS **** HAPPENS .jpg
Views:	40
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	295648  
Old 01-01-2020, 01:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,805 Times in 3,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
I'm a huge fan of the nightforce nx8. If you want a dot, the aimpoint T2 does well. If it's just a hobby gun, go to your local store, eyeball through everything, buy the cheapest that looks good to you.
Does that make every privately owned firearm / optic a " hobby gun"?

If this is the case, yours is no different than mine or anyone else who personally owns a firearm.

All on how one defines it I suppose. The OP is looking for a " all purpose" ( hunting, training, security, etc. ...) build, so that seems a bit more than a range toy.....which is another way I have seen folks here define a hobby gun.

Which definition is correct, or is it something else entirely? Just curious, as I have seen the term used in a derogatory way in the past.

11B
Old 01-02-2020, 03:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,100 Times in 4,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
Does that make every privately owned firearm / optic a " hobby gun"?

If this is the case, yours is no different than mine or anyone else who personally owns a firearm.

All on how one defines it I suppose. The OP is looking for a " all purpose" ( hunting, training, security, etc. ...) build, so that seems a bit more than a range toy.....which is another way I have seen folks here define a hobby gun.

Which definition is correct, or is it something else entirely? Just curious, as I have seen the term used in a derogatory way in the past.

11B
Hobby gun = firearm that at no point in time will upset you greatly if it fails you.

Nothing at all wrong with that.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:19 AM
Target Shooter

Im partial to eotechs with a magnifier. you can buy them separately if need be. I've ran a few BUIS and havent had the issue Redtail mentioned.

most recent ar I did has eotech xps(exps sits 7mm higher) and knights armament micro BUIS this allows absolute co witness should I choose, magnifier can be removed pretty quickly and easily with out impacting zero. I have no complaints battery life is est 600hrs not the greatest, but easy and quick to get on target dont have to worry about eye relief, dont need to change cheek weld to use BUIS, no scope ring and IMHO the best at maximizing field of view.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:38 AM

You're either looking at a variable optic or red dot or holo and magnifier combo.

5.56 isn't a strong enough round to necessitate anything stronger than 4x magnification.

Best bet is a nice red (or green) dot, IMO. Holosun makes an exceptional green dot that includes solar power in addition to the battery.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:52 AM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 4,378 Times in 1,788 Posts

BUIS and a reflex optic are great options.

1.5-4x or 1-6x scopes are a better choices IMHO, but BUIS (rear) are not usable unless the scope is removed (QD mount best option).

Whatever you choose, buy the best you can afford. Buy once, cry once......
Old 01-02-2020, 01:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 37,110 Times in 8,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
Hobby gun = firearm that at no point in time will upset you greatly if it fails you.

Nothing at all wrong with that.
My head hurt trying to comprehend this gibberish. I expect my firearm(s) to work ALL of the time regardless of the scenario. I never know what I'll be carrying at any given point, so yeah, there IS something wrong with that if it fails me.
The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2020, 08:33 PM

Low power variable scope 1x4 or 1x6 and a good back up iron rear.

I use a Steiner P4xi on a mid length with a FSB and it works fine. Knights micro rear fits under the scope just fine.