Ever have to "stash" your knife? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 12-25-2019, 04:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,325 Times in 4,599 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinID View Post
I agree it could have been a major hassle, but US Mil on official gov travel with issued weapons in a US city?

Baltimore might like to think they're not part of the US, but I'm pretty sure anyone trying to hold or charge your guys would have been quickly dealt with. Even if it took US Marshal's with an arrest warrant for the Chief of Police. Trust me, it's been done. More than one chief or command officer has learned that a US Marshal outranks him in every way.
They weren't under my command, but we were all on the same delayed flight. I don't think it would have been anything serious, but if they were stopped by city police or trying to "check" their rifles back in, it might have been enough of a hassle to miss the next flight as well. I just found it ironic that a city that prides itself on denying anybody their 2A rights, stupid "gun control" laws, and one of the top 5 or so in violent crime (with firearms), the Airport just casually left long-gun cases right by the luggage carrousel and completely unattended. The irony and their stupidity wasn't lost on me

ROCK6
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2019, 04:49 PM
¡Salga de aquí!

Thanked 9,053 Times in 2,994 Posts

Had to stash my knife once under some mulch in a flowerbed in front of a courthouse before going in for jury duty. It was a long trek from a public transportation parking lot just for jury duty so I had no time to try to get back to vehicle. I got picked for a car theft police chase on video case that lasted a few days. GUITLY! Anyways, all I could think about was my Spyderco Para II but it was still there when I was released on the first day. Never again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MeTarzan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2019, 01:25 AM
3 more years of this?

Thanked 5,181 Times in 1,667 Posts

Back in 2014 I took a trip with my son and his 8th grade class to Washington DC and we toured the city for about 4 days. The day we visited the capital I realized I had my pocket knife on me out of habit. We got to the metal detectors and told the guy manning it said I have a pocket knife and forgot I had it on me and it was a gift from my kids which he asked to look at it...nothing special just a 4 inch buck folder. He said keep it in my pocket and motioned to the 2nd set of metal detectors to send me thru and said whatever I do dont pull it out and go to stabbing people I said no problem. He went on saying the capitol police and secret service were everywhere. My son and I had fun guessing who they were throughout the day. Still have the knife
On a side note I thought the Smithsonian had better security
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to svxak47 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2019, 04:55 AM
Biologist

Thanked 1,265 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTarzan View Post
Had to stash my knife once under some mulch in a flowerbed in front of a courthouse before going in for jury duty. It was a long trek from a public transportation parking lot just for jury duty so I had no time to try to get back to vehicle. I got picked for a car theft police chase on video case that lasted a few days. GUITLY! Anyways, all I could think about was my Spyderco Para II but it was still there when I was released on the first day. Never again.
I did the exact same thing, but it was bushes instead of flowers and I was there to have paperwork signed, not jury duty.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sluggyslugworth For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2019, 06:56 PM
Retired Army

Thanked 18,830 Times in 4,114 Posts

Had to go into some government building in Indianapolis to renew the liquor licence for my VFW and forgot to leave my pocket knife in the car. Didn't feel like walking two blocks back to the car, so I went back out to let my service dog pee in the grass while I placed it in a big decorative planter. Thank the Lord it was still there when I came out, as it was a nice knife.

Gambled once going into an Eagles concert, but I was ready, and had brought a cheap gas station knife. Just let them keep it at the door.

Then we found a small venue that has old bands like Air supply, .38 Special, Tim McGraw, and the like. Didn't have anything, and walked right in. Every time we've been back, I've carried. Love that place. Small crowds, friendly environment...
The Following User Says Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2019, 07:17 PM
¡Salga de aquí!

Thanked 9,053 Times in 2,994 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggyslugworth View Post
I did the exact same thing, but it was bushes instead of flowers and I was there to have paperwork signed, not jury duty.
I sorta always wanted to go back and dig around through the mulch and see what turns up. Gotta be loads of good stuff.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MeTarzan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2019, 08:58 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,046 Posts
Exclamation

Flying out of Atlanta I accidentally had a knife in my carryon. I went to put it in my checked bag, but they’d already taken it away.

Anyway I took it outside stuffed it into a dirty gross looking McDonald’s bag and threw it under a bush outside baggage claim area.

A couple weeks later after a nice trip to Hawaii I retrieved a damp and worse for wear bag that still had a nice knife hidden inside.

SD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SheepDog68 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2019, 11:57 PM
Limited Access Member

Thanked 4,214 Times in 2,221 Posts

Ha, Some time way back, I happened to have a S&W automatic tactical knife in my pocket, the big "military/law enforcement only" model.

We were at a very important political event in the state capitol and a guard invited me, my wife and son into the vacant courthouse to see the actual courtroom where a very important event had just taken place. I had a moment of panic seeing the metal detectors and then being waved around them.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:05 AM
Limited Access Member

Thanked 4,214 Times in 2,221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
Glad it worked out for you. Maybe 20 years ago I got pulled aside on my 3rd security check flying cross country 3 rd leg having never been outside the security zone since starting. The lady was very nice but spent like 20 minutes going threw my bags. She found nothing and I got to complete my trip.

About a week later I found a spent 38 Special case in my shaving bag. No clue how it got there but I'm sure that was what she was looking for. I go threw all my stuff before packing for a trip - every pocket, every sub pack. Haven't had an issue since.
There have been tourists, flying out of various countries, that have had spent or live cartridges placed in their baggage by unscrupulous folks in those countries to elicit a bribe or worse.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 25,162 Times in 7,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
It won't set off a metal detector, but it's detectable via body scanners, x-ray machines, and pat-downs. You can take your chances, I guess.
That may not be true. It has metal parts in it, according to the reviews and questions.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 08:12 AM
Free-ish Man

Thanked 1,970 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
Unless you're caught, in which case you're looking at severe criminal and civil live altering penalties...
I doubt that. People have knives confiscated regularly at airports, sporting events etc. and very rarely do they face anything beyond losing their knife. Your average TSA "agent" or "security" person at those types of places couldn't tell you the difference between a S&W 642 and a Desert Eagle, let alone what a particular knife blade is made of. It might be different if you obviously have it in a location meant to avoid detection.
The Following User Says Thank You to SBK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 08:51 AM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 8,210 Times in 2,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
That may not be true. It has metal parts in it, according to the reviews and questions.
Ah, fair enough...I didn't dig that far into this link. I have a couple composite knives that have no metal parts; they wouldn't set off metal detectors but would still be detectable by the other things I listed.

I guess if somebody were basing a decision to sneak stuff through a TSA checkpoint on what they read on SB, they deserve what's coming to them. Still, apologies for making a bad assumption.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 02:15 PM
Low speed , High drag

Thanked 1,612 Times in 486 Posts

Get a big belt buckle and stash it behind the buckle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cantankerous For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 03:50 PM
Prepared

Yup, got called to court duty a few years ago and forgot I had a pocket knife on me(I always have one on me), didn't have time to walk a half mile back to the truck and had to throw it in the trash. Luckly it was a 15 dollar knife, it still felt stupid but not 150 dollar stupid.

When I came back out I ask the officer if I could retrieve it, well he was a big d!ck about it so I moved on.

Altho I currently don't, Plus 2 on carrying a cheap knife...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gnepig For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 12:11 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,967 Times in 3,205 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
Well, I screwed up yesterday. My wife, son, and his girlfriend drove up to Northern VA to visit for a few das and Christmas. My wife wanted to visit some of the sights and museums in WA DC. We were going to take the Metro in from where we are staying, but it was a Sunday and traffic wasn't too bad and no issues with parking...so we drove. Well, since we drove, I routinely just put a knife in my pocket and planned to just leave it in the truck as we walked or ubered around...only I forget and left it on my pocket.

Well, it's a favorite little work blade and more expensive than I cared for but I just like the design; not something I just wanted to "toss". The first place we hit with a metal detector, I realized it was in my pocket. Fortunately, there weren't too many people in the area, but there were a lot of capital police and I spotted more than a few cameras. However, I was able to stand up against many of the taller planters that were all over. A few had some hearty plant still doing well despite the cold weather...and a perfect place to "stash" my knife. My wife tolerated my idiocy while my son laughed, but we only had to "stash" it a few times and recovered after we completed the tours with knife restrictions. No issues, but a little of a hassle.

It really makes you hate stupid rules against pocket "tools" that are no less a weapon than some of the large walking sticks, canes, umbrellas, pens, etc. that I saw. I've been temporarily living up in Northern VA for a few months and never had a desire to go into DC, which is sad. Some the memorials were pretty awesome and moving. We saw more foreign visitors than Americans. It was a cold but beautiful day and well worth the hassle. We have a couple more places to hit today and than we'll try to stay away from the swamp.

We did go through the metal detector for the Smithsonian, and I probably could have just dropped the blade in m small day pack as they just ran a wooden ruler on the inside with a very cursory inspection. Every place seemed different; no standards on how they operated.

Oh, my little blade was a Benchmade Arcane (bought before the Benchmade hoopla):

Anybody ever get forced into having to "stash" your blade due to weapon restriction? This wasn't a plan screwup, just an plan-execution screw up Yeah, no need for comments about avoiding places like that...I wasn't in much of a position to do so and was outvoted I do try to avoid the public transportation as I can use my truck as storage even though it's not always a guarantee. As for other improvised weapons, I had that covered, but honestly, there were Captial Police on every block, riding around on bikes, and several parked cars. Trump wasn't even in town and the White House looked like the American Embassy in Kabul!

ROCK6
I'm extremely surprised at this and I mean no offence in what I will write.

If what you were carrying was within the law, why should you have to stash it?

I realise there are some sensitive sites that require you to not carry.

Would they not allow any knives at all, even a small non locking knife?

No chance of them minding it for you until you are ready to leave?

In the UK you can legally carry a non locking sub 3 inch folder anywhere without a reason (unless you are threatening someone police can't do anything to you) other than in a court, parliament, embassy, in that case they put it in a box and give you a ticket so you can get it back, I know because I've done this and it was no problem at all. If you're a child you can't carry a UK legal carry knife in a school (I did though from 11-16 and never had a problem, different days back then I suppose). As an adult when I worked in schools I always had a SAK in my pocket, and UK legal carry Leatherman Juice in my bag, they never caused any problems with staff, I even used to get mail order knives sent to reception, an old receptionist used to like seeing what I got next, you should've seen her face when finnman sent me a 9" leuku from Finland ha ha

When I was a live in care worker,going away caring for a month at a time, I would take a 4 inch fixed blade with me on assignment. It was in case the old boy's kitchen knives were no good, and if I had an hour off I would do a bit of whittling for fun. You need a lawful reason to carry something like that, kitchen work was my lawful reason for carry, I travelled on trains and I kept it in the side pocket of my rucksack. No one knew it was there, so they couldn't feel intimidated. Sounds daft but I always thought if I bumped into a terrorist on a murderous stabbing rampage in a busy train station, then I could at least slow him up until the police shot him.

I would think any of those ceramic plastic knives would be a huge no no if you were going into a restricted area of the USA or other country. It implies you're trying to hide your knife, and if you're trying to hide a knife what dodgy plot have you got in your head?

All the best to you Rock, and glad you're back home away from far off dangerous places.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yorkshire Boy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 03:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,325 Times in 4,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Boy View Post
I'm extremely surprised at this and I mean no offence in what I will write.

If what you were carrying was within the law, why should you have to stash it?

Would they not allow any knives at all, even a small non locking knife?

No chance of them minding it for you until you are ready to leave?
I would have been more comfortable trying it with a small SAK (which I will now have as a backup). I do think some of the guards would have secured it for me until my departure. Every site was a different. One had a full body scanner and a conveyor scanner; another just had a lady with a ruler checking bags (obviously looking for lager "metal" objects). The only big reason I stashed it was to avoid any hassles as it was me, the wife, son and his girlfriend. Sometimes the best profile is low-profile.

With a better recon, I probably could have just carried it in a few of the museums...

Of course, even my poor planning was used for "opportunity training", working on my "discreet emergency cache drops" Heck it was probably more risky to stash a knife given the cameras and cops on every corner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Boy View Post

All the best to you Rock, and glad you're back home away from far off dangerous places.
Thanks brother...it's good to be back! I just need to get this job finished up and move back home in the next couple months.

ROCK6
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 12:51 PM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 44,631 Times in 26,377 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Several years ago I went on a tour of then AT&T Park in San Francisco. It was during the off season and the Giants were still at Spring Training. The guy running the tour wouldn't let me take my Leatherman in on the tour because of the blade. He told me to put it in the car or go hide it out side. We had to go through a metal detector. I went out and stuck it in my shoe. Metal detector must not have even been turned on because it missed the Leatherman and my buddy's Glock 26, which was in his waistband. Go figure.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:53 PM
Jr. Member; Sr. Body

Thanked 3,799 Times in 581 Posts

I routinely empty my pockets of anything metal, when going into theme parks, government offices, courts, etc. Even the local county fairs have metal detectors and pack searches at them, now.

Once, and I'm not kidding, I had to return to the car after going through the security line at a local court house; reason being, there was a safety pin on my key ring (safety pin, whistle, button flashlight, etc.)!

But it is CA.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:59 PM
Hunter

I was working on a construction project at my local federal building and the police would do daily perimeter searches. Apparently people would see the metal detectors at the entrance and stash their knives/guns around the building and then forget to grab them.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:09 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,967 Times in 3,205 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
I would have been more comfortable trying it with a small SAK (which I will now have as a backup). I do think some of the guards would have secured it for me until my departure. Every site was a different. One had a full body scanner and a conveyor scanner; another just had a lady with a ruler checking bags (obviously looking for lager "metal" objects). The only big reason I stashed it was to avoid any hassles as it was me, the wife, son and his girlfriend. Sometimes the best profile is low-profile.

With a better recon, I probably could have just carried it in a few of the museums...

Of course, even my poor planning was used for "opportunity training", working on my "discreet emergency cache drops" Heck it was probably more risky to stash a knife given the cameras and cops on every corner!

Thanks brother...it's good to be back! I just need to get this job finished up and move back home in the next couple months.

ROCK6
All a bit of fun, but given the political fight I've got myself involved in and my messages and meetings with politicians, and posts on the internet, I've been practising a bit of anti surveillance measures on the street. It won't stop me from getting whacked by members of E squadron though...

Obviously must have a lot of alcoholics there if they have a security guard looking for lager! Off topic... it's crazy a 500ml can of 6.5% Polish lager can be bought cheaper than a 500ml bottle of Coca Cola in England.

I only own 3 knives now, 2 UK legal slip joints and a fixed blade. I'm not interested at all in lock knives, if I have a legal reason to carry a lock knife then I will carry a fixed blade instead, lock knives are pretty useless for me.

I would like to get myself a good quality fillet knife with an orange G10 handle, and eventually I'll get the chopper from Nepal sent to me and have an orange G10 handle put on that... because I'm all Gucci and special ha ha

I don't suppose anyone knows if Victorinox sells spare orange plastic scales for a Huntsman? Then I would be all super matching Gucci in my collection.

The Following User Says Thank You to Yorkshire Boy For This Useful Post: