Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 02-27-2020, 09:17 AM
I love this forum

Default The Truth About "Easter"....

Advertise Here

Rev 18:4* And I heard another voice from the heaven saying, "Come out of her, my people, lest you share in her sins, and lest you receive of her plagues. (Jer_51:6, Jer_51:9, Jer_51:45, Jer_50:8, Jer_50:13, Jer_50:28)*

Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2020, 08:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,794 Times in 5,315 Posts

Great and Holy Pascha

"On the Great and Holy Feast of Pascha, Orthodox Christians celebrate the life-giving Resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. This feast of feasts is the most significant day in the life of the Church. It is a celebration of the defeat of death, as neither death itself nor the power of the grave could hold our Savior captive. In this victory that came through the Cross, Christ broke the bondage of sin, and through faith offers us restoration, transformation, and eternal life."

"Pascha is a transliteration of the Greek word, which is itself a transliteration of the Aramaic pascha, from the Hebrew pesach meaning Passover."

"Twelve weeks of preparation precede it. This is made up of pre-lenten Sundays, Great Lent, and Holy Week. The faithful try to make this long journey with repentance, forgiveness, reconciliation, prayer, fasting, almsgiving, and study. When the feast finally arrives, it is celebrated with a collection of services combined as one."

Oh, and regarding the word "Easter" itself,

"In a footnote to his translation of the work of Eusebius, Christian F. Cruse defended the usage of the word Easter:

"Our English word Passover, happily, in sound and sense, almost corresponds to the Hebrew [pesach], of which is a translation. Exod. Xii. 27. The Greek pascha, formed from the Hebrew, is the name of the Jewish festival, applied invariably in the primitive church to designate the festival of the Lord’s resurrection, which took place at the time of the passover. Our word Easter is of Saxon origin, and of precisely the same import with its German cognate Ostern. The latter is derived from the old Teutonic form of auferstehn, Auferstehung, i. e. resurrection. "

Your video is an excellent example of what happens when you get on stage with a garage band, declare yourself to be a preacher or a pastor, and open the scriptures in ignorance apart from the light of history and the collective memory of the church.

So basically, if you went to this guy's church on Sunday morning and listened to his sermon, you would spend an hour of your life absorbing what today is called fake news.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Watchingtheweasels For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 08:37 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchingtheweasels View Post
fake news.
Really? Let me know what part was fake so we can discuss it.

Do catholics like to have the kids collect eggs from a magic rabbit for this occasion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2020, 09:22 AM
Deplorable On Steroids

Thanked 63,480 Times in 21,269 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off-Grid View Post

Do catholics like to have the kids collect eggs from a magic rabbit for this occasion?
Eggs and bunnies represent "fertility" and reproduction and (in the olden days) orgies.

Whatever the case may be ... I believe that there are some religious organizations that believe in incorporating pagan rituals, traditions, and customs into "Christianity" as long as those practices are first "baptized." I'm not sure that I've seen it written in God's Word that "baptizing" pagan customs is condoned by God.

In fact:

2 Corinthians 6:17, "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you."

Revelation 18:4, "And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues."

Isaiah 52:11, "Depart ye, depart ye, go ye out from thence, touch no unclean thing; go ye out of the midst of her; be ye clean, that bear the vessels of the LORD."

1 John 2:15, "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him."

The message is pretty clear. Christianity is a pure religion based on pure truth. Man has not been given the right to alter it and/or mold it to conform to his own pleasure, desires, opinions, or traditions. Stick to the written Word and you can't go wrong.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 09:24 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Stick to the written Word and you can't go wrong.
BINGO!
Old 02-28-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
The message is pretty clear. Christianity is a pure religion based on pure truth. Man has not been given the right to alter it and/or mold it to conform to his own pleasure, desires, opinions, or traditions. Stick to the written Word and you can't go wrong.

Christianity/ Messianic Judaism have always been a problem for the religious. With religions, rules and tradition are applied to the adherents. With Christianity/ Messianic Judaism, the adherents follow God and His word directly.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrghostwalker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 11:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,794 Times in 5,315 Posts

Quote:
Really? Do catholics like to have the kids collect eggs from a magic rabbit for this occasion?
I have no idea what Roman Catholics do. You might want to ask one.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Watchingtheweasels For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 11:49 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
I have no idea what Roman Catholics do. You might want to ask one.
My bad, How about your group? Most do chase the eggs.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
My bad, How about your group? Most do chase the eggs.
You will not understand Christian symbolism even if we give it to you point by point. In short you don't know what you are talking about. The Orthodox Church has created Christian symbolism since 2000 years. In my country alone we have thousands of songs, festivals and objects all Christian or Christianized that precedes the discovery of America and certainly Protestants as a whole, and even post Schism Catholic Church, and you want me to explain them to you? What a laugh. You continue to do what you do best: modern talk for modern newbies (naive) in faith.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cat_1978 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 12:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,340 Times in 4,002 Posts

Quote:

FACT CHECK:

The Eastern Orthodox Church (and Roman Catholic Church) have nothing in their dogma or services about "a magic rabbit" who distributes eggs, chocolate or otherwise.

It is disingenuous to exploit secular and commercial practices as a weapon and imply they have anything to do with the Church.

The same can be said for Santa Claus, his magic reindeer, and worker elves. These are secular and commercial stories for children that have nothing to do with the dogma and practices of the Church.

If there is going to be a fair evaluation of Easter (Pascha) or Christmas then the secular practices should be separated from Church dogma.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Batko10 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 06:05 AM
It's ok to be white

Thanked 93,316 Times in 24,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batko10 View Post
FACT CHECK:

The Eastern Orthodox Church (and Roman Catholic Church) have nothing in their dogma or services about "a magic rabbit" who distributes eggs, chocolate or otherwise.

It is disingenuous to exploit secular and commercial practices as a weapon and imply they have anything to do with the Church.

The same can be said for Santa Claus, his magic reindeer, and worker elves. These are secular and commercial stories for children that have nothing to do with the dogma and practices of the Church.

If there is going to be a fair evaluation of Easter (Pascha) or Christmas then the secular practices should be separated from Church dogma.
That's a good point. Many of these practices are in fact secular driven and aren't endorsed by any church that I'm aware of.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OhioMan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 06:45 AM
M.R. Ducks

Thanked 23,376 Times in 10,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterEnergy View Post
Then you are unaware of the Pagan determination of Easter, not a day of a month but relative to the Spring Equinox.
The complicated formula for calculating on which day to celebrate Easter comes from reconciling Passover, a date in the Hebrew lunar based calendar with the Roman solar based calendar, and then meeting the requirements that it fall on a Sunday in the Spring. The association with the Equinox isn’t especially pagan... it’s just the mechanism to assure Easter is a springtime celebration.

Having said that, the manner in which we celebrate Easter is greatly influenced by the manner in which Europeans celebrated their pagan springtime festivals, just as Christmas was influenced by solstice celebrations. American culture is greatly influenced by English and Germanic cultures. These folks maintained their pagan faiths longer than much of the rest of Europe. They were not going to give up their Yule logs and “Eosturmonath” rabbits just because some priest from Rome said they should.

This brings us to the English word “Easter.” It’s unlikely that it comes directly from the name of the goddess “Ishtar.” She was a Middle Eastern deity with a following in Rome during the 1st Century, but there’s not a lot of evidence she was popular in Britain. However, there was a goddess with the Old English name of Eostre who was associated with the springtime celebration. That’s more likely to be root of the English word, Easter.

Last edited by LibShooter; 03-27-2020 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: Typo
The Following User Says Thank You to LibShooter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 09:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,340 Times in 4,002 Posts

Quote:
Great and Holy Pascha

"Pascha is a transliteration of the Greek word, which is itself a transliteration of the Aramaic pascha, from the Hebrew pesach meaning Passover."

"Twelve weeks of preparation precede it. This is made up of pre-lenten Sundays, Great Lent, and Holy Week. The faithful try to make this long journey with repentance, forgiveness, reconciliation, prayer, fasting, almsgiving, and study. When the feast finally arrives, it is celebrated with a collection of services combined as one." ...
Just a reminder for the Orthodox Christians here, Great Lent/Великий Пост begins on Monday, March 2nd. I just got back from the supermarket where I bought enough food that is permitted during Great Lent to last at least through most of the period up to Pascha/Easter on April 19th.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Batko10 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 09:18 AM
It's ok to be white

Thanked 93,316 Times in 24,555 Posts

Thanks Off-Grid!

Our family has never done the whole Easter-bunny, Easter eggs thing. It just never felt right along with Santa Claus and all the rest. It's just not been apart of our families traditions.

At the time of year many focus of Christ and His death and burial we have always seen as everyday obedience to Christ not just one day.

We do have a Christmas tree(s), wreaths, decorations around the house inside/out but we don't see those things as worship but rather family tradition much in the same way we have a family get-together on the 4th of July or buying coffee before Church, just a tradition.

However your video does bring up some important points. I 100% agree we as believers have fallen away in some of these paganist practices and incorporated them into Christian worship.

I think many of your points bring balance to a much needed discussion. Thanks for doing this and shedding some light on these subjects.

OM
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OhioMan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 02:16 PM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 9,387 Times in 2,765 Posts

Make it easy on yourself. Easter is the celebration of the resurrection. More important than the birth of Jesus (or however you want to pronounce his name. Pronunciations are not the point.), because we have all been born. But only he has been resurrected YET. It has been promised to us all, and he is the proof of the promise.

The cute little custom of having pretty little children in their Sunday best crinolines dashing about collecting coloured eggs and eating chocolate bunnies may have originated in false gods, but that is not what it is now. Almost everyone has forgotten those false gods and they don't matter. Expunging the modern custom will not matter. The Father does not judge you because you colour eggs.
The Following User Says Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 02:25 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBlue View Post
coloured eggs and eating chocolate bunnies may have originated in false gods, but that is not what it is now.
So the origins have morphed through time? It's now OK to lie to your kids and tell them a magic bunny laid these things?

Have you actually looked into the origins of this fertility bunny and coloring eggs?
Old 02-28-2020, 04:01 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBlue View Post
Almost everyone has forgotten those false gods and they don't matter.
Trust me, the One Who really matters has not forgotten:

Deu 12:30* guard yourself that you are not ensnared to follow them, after they are destroyed from before you, and that you do not inquire about their mighty ones, saying, ĎHow did these nations serve their mighty ones? And let me do so too.íc

Footnote: cSee also Deu_18:9, Lev_18:3, Jer_10:2, Eze_11:12 and Eze_20:32, Eph_4:17, and 1Pe_4:3.*
Old 02-29-2020, 03:21 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,085 Times in 689 Posts

Some of you folks really gut the fun out of life for kids. Even as a Protestant youngster I could make the distinction between the significance of Christís Birth and Resurrection from those secular aspects of the Christmas and Easter seasons even though they coincided. Can't you?
The Following User Says Thank You to Trogshak For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 05:55 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogshak View Post
Can't you?
Absolutely not. Rather than lie to the kids, teach them the truth. Our Father detests being celebrated with the same practices/ways that the heathens used to worship/honor their false gods. You are to never mingle the set-apart (His ways) with the profane (false ways).
Old 03-01-2020, 07:47 AM
Deplorable On Steroids

Thanked 63,480 Times in 21,269 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogshak View Post
Some of you folks really gut the fun out of life for kids. Even as a Protestant youngster I could make the distinction between the significance of Christís Birth and Resurrection from those secular aspects of the Christmas and Easter seasons even though they coincided. Can't you?
Is Christianity supposed to be like Disneyland or does it play a more significant role in ones eternal salvation? I enjoyed Christmas and Easter as a kid but I enjoyed running around the nearby riverbed or playing Frisbee or setting up my plastic army-men too. One can have lots of fun without honoring pagan festivals.

I participated in Christmas and Easter when I was a kid. The most "fun" thing about them was the "material" aspect of those days. I looked forward to getting "things" and I looked forward to stuffing my face with pie, candy, cake, and other sugary substances. It was all about me, me, me and what I was going to get my hands on. So yes ... those days were certainly "fun."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post: