the constant rain - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are You All Wet to Hunt in the Rain? AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-05-2018 02:00 PM
Dark Days, Tiger's Story. Version 1.2 Warclaw Books, Movies & Stories 101 06-18-2018 10:32 PM
Berkley Post Filter on Aqua Rain? rollieman New Member Introduction 5 07-28-2017 04:02 PM
Looks like rain - and then some TMcArthur General Discussion 18 01-19-2017 07:24 AM

Old 03-01-2019, 02:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,376 Times in 4,617 Posts
Angry the constant rain

Advertise Here

is the weather messing up your homesteading/ farming? It is ours. I am so sick of it! Rain almost every day, and when its not raining , it's snowing. And when it's not snowing, we have 50 mph wind! Seriously, we had 2 dry days in the last 3 months I think.
This is the second year of this, first year we lived here was "normal" whatever that means.
Is it raining all the time where anyone else lives? We left Florida because it was just too hot ( and rain every day in summer) , now we live in Virginia, and it rains all the time. Really starting to think we moved to the wrong place. I love everything else here besides the weather, so that's hard.

Problems: mud everywhere, goats don't go out in the rain ( they would have to be starving ,and there isn't much growing in the pasture, so we are always running out of hay. No hay to be found, since everyone around here has moldy , bad second cutting hay from all the rain last year. Now they have mites from being in the barn all the time. Indoor dogs track in mud, dirty house all the time, no matter what I do. Fungus on all the fruit trees, some vegetables rotted last year from all the rain. Hoof rot. Mold on wood. No time to dry out firewood. Can't get anything done outside ( like plow the garden up) , just too wet and muddy. How do you deal with this?
I feel so bad for some of our neighbors who have lost livestock to flooding, animals being born in the bad weather and not surviving and some looking very thin because people are running out of hay. It sucks.

Ok, done with my rant. Just wondering if anyone in other areas is dealing with this, or if we just live in the "black hole of rain" around here
Quick reply to this message
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 03:02 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,292 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
is the weather messing up your homesteading/ farming? It is ours. I am so sick of it! Rain almost every day, and when its not raining , it's snowing. And when it's not snowing, we have 50 mph wind! Seriously, we had 2 dry days in the last 3 months I think.
This is the second year of this, first year we lived here was "normal" whatever that means.
Is it raining all the time where anyone else lives? We left Florida because it was just too hot ( and rain every day in summer) , now we live in Virginia, and it rains all the time. Really starting to think we moved to the wrong place. I love everything else here besides the weather, so that's hard.

Problems: mud everywhere, goats don't go out in the rain ( they would have to be starving ,and there isn't much growing in the pasture, so we are always running out of hay. No hay to be found, since everyone around here has moldy , bad second cutting hay from all the rain last year. Now they have mites from being in the barn all the time. Indoor dogs track in mud, dirty house all the time, no matter what I do. Fungus on all the fruit trees, some vegetables rotted last year from all the rain. Hoof rot. Mold on wood. No time to dry out firewood. Can't get anything done outside ( like plow the garden up) , just too wet and muddy. How do you deal with this?
I feel so bad for some of our neighbors who have lost livestock to flooding, animals being born in the bad weather and not surviving and some looking very thin because people are running out of hay. It sucks.

Ok, done with my rant. Just wondering if anyone in other areas is dealing with this, or if we just live in the "black hole of rain" around here
Heck yes. My wife and I finally bought our homestead/bug in fortress about a year ago and we haven't really got to do anything with it. It's been raining every single day! We've had to redo our drive way twice!!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to NickB For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 03:13 PM
Psalm 37:28

Thanked 1,599 Times in 481 Posts

Yes. A thousand times yes. I saw a meme that captured it pretty well... ďAnd to think that itís only rained twice this winter...once for 45 days and once for 30 days.Ē

It would be funny if it wasnít true.

I almost miss the SE drought back in the late Ď90s...or early 2000s. Canít remember.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Surviving Suburbia For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2019, 03:30 PM
Bread Baker

Thanked 7,563 Times in 2,389 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Trust me, it aint just you. This has just been a warm wet winter. I just recently flipped thru the 2019 Farmers Almanac. This Summer on the East is supposed to be cool and wet. Just perfect conditions for episodes of Blight and other wonderful Fungal diseases.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 03:35 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,422 Times in 864 Posts

A farmer’s life, either too much rain or not enough.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BravoLimaDelta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 03:44 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,588 Times in 5,599 Posts

Everything is relative, so don't feel too bad. I spent all day yesterday helping to clear snow from our road (with a front end loader - 3 miles of road) because the neighbor and I couldn't get to town any more. And this coming Sunday night and Monday night the temperature will go down to 10 below zero.

I'd MUCH rather be dealing with rain!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 03:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 29,473 Times in 7,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoLimaDelta View Post
A farmer’s life, either too much rain or not enough.
Ain't that the truth. Occasionally it comes down in the form of hail too.

Welcome to farming. Our animal lots would get so bad at times the tractor wouldn't go through. More than once I lost a boot feeding calves and had to balance to get my foot back in and dig it out by hand (or get a leg full of muck). Yeah.

Then a couple years (or weeks) later, it will be too dry.

Too wet to plant too dry to plant, too wet to harvest, too dry to harvest, too much rain, too little. The ranchers with calves always hated snow at the wrong time. A blizzard during calving season might cost 60,000 to 100,000 head like this one did. https://journalstar.com/news/state-a...b9b8f01a8.html

Nothing new. Just new to you.

It's why farmers talk about the weather non-stop, pray a lot, and grow hardened to losses.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 03:55 PM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 6,240 Times in 2,377 Posts

I feel your pain. January was terrible but February has been better. It's an El Nino winter.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 03:57 PM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 19,058 Times in 4,538 Posts

Well I won't argue about it but it was predicted loss of arctic sea ice would disrupt that 'polar vortex' bringing changes to both the air currents and possibly sea currents that are going to hit us hard, particularily if you are not used to a new weather challenge .

I live in west coast rain forest so my land is selected for rain, I live around our seasons and weather daily and well adapted for rain , whereas California gets our rain and they flood . With each of the last 4 winters I have experienced 4 different extreme conditions , one year was snow depth , one was extreme rain even for us , one was an ice storm I have never experienced before and this year longer arctic outflow than I have ever experienced before and we simply are not adapted with our pipes and systems for extreme cold here this winter . This winter England had temperatures that compare to summer days this same period as they are getting different currents as well . I don't think anything will be so predictable anymore . We are going to have to simply be tougher, more prepared and deal with extremes and have versatile back ups to produce and safeguard crops and animals too . I learn something new every year and set up contingencies and learn from other areas to be prepared for wildfire risk in summer but I mulch and think about drought as well which hit our area in 2015 . The one I have not experienced at catastrophic levels in my life but can and has very infrequently occurred here is a full force hurricane and I don't intend on sitting around waiting till one is forecast before I prepare for that too .
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 04:18 PM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Thanked 6,705 Times in 2,414 Posts

yup snow and rain here.....

I do a lot of container and raised bed gardening. I have noticed that some of the other local larger growers use plastic to cover the beds or have large tunnels 100 feet long by 10 feet tall. I will probably have to fabricate some trash bags over my containers so they dont get overwatered.... totally opposite of what I had to deal with before. When you go from 2.5 inches of annual rainfall to over 40 inches you have to adjust your habits and times.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ImStillHere For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 04:29 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,240 Times in 1,174 Posts

https://weather.com/en-US/farming/ne...looks-20121104
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebjr1967 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 05:06 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Heck yes. My wife and I finally bought our homestead/bug in fortress about a year ago and we haven't really got to do anything with it. It's been raining every single day! We've had to redo our drive way twice!!
We are in the Blue Ridge mountains, on top of one...our road washes out all the time, but we have nice Amish neighbors that will fix it ( it's a community private road)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 05:08 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerChad View Post
Trust me, it aint just you. This has just been a warm wet winter. I just recently flipped thru the 2019 Farmers Almanac. This Summer on the East is supposed to be cool and wet. Just perfect conditions for episodes of Blight and other wonderful Fungal diseases.
So same as last summer
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 05:11 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarco2000 View Post
Everything is relative, so don't feel too bad. I spent all day yesterday helping to clear snow from our road (with a front end loader - 3 miles of road) because the neighbor and I couldn't get to town any more. And this coming Sunday night and Monday night the temperature will go down to 10 below zero.

I'd MUCH rather be dealing with rain!

We had that sort of weather last winter, 3 feet of snow ( in VIRGINIA) and as low as -5 , and it lasted for a few weeks on
You are right, that's bad also
I picked this location after looking at weather "averages" . The average amount of rain days in our area is around 120. Well, we get more like 320!
Old 03-01-2019, 05:17 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOmaha View Post
A blizzard during calving season might cost 60,000 to 100,000 head like this one did. https://journalstar.com/news/state-a...b9b8f01a8.html

Nothing new. Just new to you.

It's why farmers talk about the weather non-stop, pray a lot, and grow hardened to losses.
That's horrible!!! We "only" lost 2 little ones last year, one goat kid that was born in the middle of night, when it was minus degrees, and one little lamb that just got sick and died after a few days ( out of about 40 goat kids and lambs) . I would be really upset if our entire heard died. Thankfully we have a large barn they are in when the weather is bad, were in all day today
We planned our kids and lambs later this year, end of this month, start of April, so hopefully the weather will be better
This is why I don't have cows, they are too hard to put up in bad weather
Old 03-01-2019, 05:24 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper View Post
Well I won't argue about it but it was predicted loss of arctic sea ice would disrupt that 'polar vortex' bringing changes to both the air currents and possibly sea currents that are going to hit us hard, particularily if you are not used to a new weather challenge .

We have been here 3 years almost, and the first one we had normal, predictable weather that was close to the average. Now not so much. Nobody can predict the weather, and there is nothing consistent about it. There was been floods and droughts forever, I just wished we lived in an area that didn't have any.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 07:23 PM

It's the same here in Tennessee we had over 5 inch of rain on sat causing major flooding washed out roads the interstate at nc- tn line closed and its been a week and some places still flooded and guess what more rain this weekend!
I read a article about the goverment playing around with the weather to make us sick due to lack of sunlight crop failures for the same reason no sun to much rain I don't know if it is true or just a crock but something is going on
I am over the rain it makes me ach so bad I have been in pain all week.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Manager For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 07:35 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,292 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
We are in the Blue Ridge mountains, on top of one...our road washes out all the time, but we have nice Amish neighbors that will fix it ( it's a community private road)
Hey I'm right there at them! What state are you in?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NickB For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 07:38 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manager View Post
It's the same here in Tennessee we had over 5 inch of rain on sat causing major flooding washed out roads the interstate at nc- tn line closed and its been a week and some places still flooded and guess what more rain this weekend!
I read a article about the goverment playing around with the weather to make us sick due to lack of sunlight crop failures for the same reason no sun to much rain I don't know if it is true or just a crock but something is going on
I am over the rain it makes me ach so bad I have been in pain all week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Hey I'm right there at them! What state are you in?
SW Virginia
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 09:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,549 Times in 5,477 Posts

Last year was so odd that I studied up on climate this winter. Apparently every 11 years or so the sun is less active for a couple of years. That means fewer sunspots and cooler, more stormy weather. At least that is how the theory goes. And, surprise surprise, this year and likely next year is in the cooler, wetter stage as is shown by the fact that we are having very fe sunspots this year

I am finding this cold, snowy weather so very frustrating that I am starting an indoor garden using the Kratky hydroponics method. I basically put seedlings in cottage cheese cartons of nutrient solutions and I now have several of them. And, I have lettuce large enough to eat so I am pinching off a few leaves every now and then. The fresh lettuce is helping the spring fever a little bit!

I have also started some seedlings for spring.

Extra light is given by 2 shop lights, as the weather is just too overcast for healthy, stocky seedlings
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post: